PDA

View Full Version : Eurovision Song Contest 2008

SuXrys
05-24-2008, 02:29 PM
I know that there are some European's here, and this thread is mostly for them because its their "concern" the most. So; are you watching Eurovision Song Contest 2008 - the final? If you do, what are your thoughts about it? Do you like it, or do you hate it? What country have the best song this year, and what song do you hope will win?

I am glued in front of the television at this very moment and since I am kind of patriot in this sort of things,
I hope that my country will win (Sweden), but I dont know if it's the best song because I havn't heard the other's yet. Let the best song win!

Yours sincerely / SuXrys

Gandizzl
05-24-2008, 02:47 PM
I haven't really watched it since I was a kid although I did watch a few years ago when Lordi entered.
And the commentator dude lost his job because he was cheering Lordi on and talking crap about all the contestants but them, so that last bit of fun was killed right off there when he was fired.
This contest isn't my thing though, I'm can't really stand this kind of generic pop.

And the one Norwegian artist that sort of held my hope up was ditched early in a Norwegian semi-final or something.

But I guess this year, I would give my vote to Finlands Teräsbetoni.
They're not especially good, but at least it's not the generic pop the other stuff is.

I assume that once again Norway will receive and give Sweden the usual points xD

Drifter Uk
05-24-2008, 02:49 PM
eurovision has always seemed pointless to me, because for some reason, we never choose anyone that can actualy sing

poison.ivy
05-24-2008, 04:32 PM
I am watching atm (Yup, I've no life xD) I know Croatia sucks, I'm ashamed... We always sent some morons to Eurosong -.- Anyway, I'm liking Finland, Ukraine and France, but I'm liking Serbia the best. Not cuz they're neighbours, but she's really great; her look, voice, music, lyrics, it's very good.

I usually don't watch it, this is the first time after a few years o.O If I'm home, I watch the voting part. But tonight I'm commenting with a friend via MSN so it's fun xD

Myrra
05-24-2008, 06:38 PM
Ah, the horrors of it all! I missed it today. I got so busy with other things I forgot it was on until after it had long since ended.
*sniffles* I needed something to brighten my day as I'm still suffering the ill effects of Chelsea's loss in Moscow. T_T
Personally I was cheering on Latvia's act. After all, I <3 pirates.
Sadly, Russia's Dima Bilan won. I say sadly, only cos I really was rooting for the pirates.

*edit*
eurovision has always seemed pointless to me, because for some reason, we never choose anyone that can actualy sing

*laughs* OMG...Scooch....oh...that was a bad joke last year!
And an X-factor winner for this year? What the...?
That was just sad...very sad. He had no chance at all.

IchigoKiss
05-24-2008, 07:27 PM
Yeerrrpp ^^
I watched it. I seem to like the french, Ukraine was a good one too
and at some point I might have to agree with Myrra with Latvia.
Pirates are x]

And I was kinda sad that Russia won =[
I didnt...

araym219
05-25-2008, 10:11 AM
yey, it finally ended, i for one am glad that russia won, i mean after all, mr plushenko is the best ice skater in the world and mr marton is if not the best, one of the best violin players in the world, i found Dima to be a little gay, but his performance was really ok.
Now for the embarrassing part, i'm from romania :p, yep we had the female scarecrow and that other dude, i hate that song, there was another band that had a great song, but how could we choose 3 swedish singers to represent us, i'm talking about biondo with their song shine, you can youtube it, you'll find it, they were great, their performance was great, and in the end they lost to some 60 points difference, i'm glad romania didn't win this eurovision either:badrazz:

MoroDashi
05-26-2008, 02:20 AM
Yeah I watched it ^^ I think Russia was good but sucked >_< I was rooting for Croasia! The man had a very good voice! And oh lordy- The Pirates! What happened there? And the one from Finland wasn't that bad either.

Nanao Ise
05-26-2008, 06:47 AM
The acts were ok, but oh so....samey. It's like...acts we would see in UK's clubs or something.
I wanted Azerbaijin to win, or Latvia - ya know, something different, which sounded good at the same time, something a bit quirky should have won. It's just...getting a bit boring when true Eurostyle songs don't win a contest.

Ukraine so lost out last year :P

Best winners it's had since I can remember where Ukraine 2004, and Finland 2006.

~RiOtFoRpHoEnIx~
05-27-2008, 03:21 AM
I watched it this year again and again thought right away that the UK entry didn't stand a chance >.< It was Scooch last year and this year an X Factor winner ... -.- fail, made of fail. I was cheering though for the Latvia entry or the Ukraine to win it, that or Bulgaria because that was awesome, but I was disappointed too when Russia won it ... there were much better entries that should have won. Just goes to prove once again though that it's all about politics.

Ravenblade
05-27-2008, 06:09 AM
We come last so often its actually painful. The only redeeming feature of Eurovision is Terry Wogan - when he dies, nobody in Britain will watch it anymore.

Apparently we would get relegated from it were it not for the fact that we contribute more money toward it than anyone else x.x

Drifter Uk
05-27-2008, 11:44 AM
i just watched britains entry and the voting on bbc iplayer. i was cracking up at terry wogans commentary. he makes fun of everything, especially the voting. hes really harsh as well.
ukraine gave russia some points and wogan comes out with, 'yeah, theyre just making sure the oil and electricity keep flowing'
that guys a legend

SuXrys
05-27-2008, 03:55 PM
I watched it this year again and again thought right away that the UK entry didn't stand a chance >.< It was Scooch last year and this year an X Factor winner ... -.- fail, made of fail.

Am I the only person that liked Andy Abraham - Even if? O_O

Ukraine so lost out last year :P

Best winners it's had since I can remember where Ukraine 2004, and Finland 2006.

Ukraine last year was so awesome!!! xD

Talking about the winners, here is some links to all the winners
(except this year, but I think that you still remember that one)
in the eurovison song contest 1956-2007:
Part 1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Xb9LXuROGI&feature=related)
Part 2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xbk4pxXj_P0)

Some of my favorites songs in the eurovision (winners) this far is:
1965 - Luxembourg. France Gall - Poupée de cire, poupée de son
1974 - Sweden. Abba - Waterloo
1981 - United Kingdom. Bucks Fizz - Making your mind up
1984 - Sweden. Herreys - Diggi Loo Diggy Ley
1985 - Norway. Bobbysocks - La det swinge
1999- Sweden. Charlotte Nilsson - Take me to your heaven
2000- Denmark. Olsen Brothers - Fly on the wings of love (my favorite!)
2004 - Ukraine. Ruslana - Wild dances

Regards : SuXrys

Eris
05-27-2008, 05:29 PM
I am so genuinely happy Sweden got a crappy score this year. Our entry sucked more than the usual ESC music meh-itude. The singer looked like a poorly done Star Trek alien swamp monster (made Lordi (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lordi) look hot.) Or possibly plastic surgery gone horribly, horribly wrong.

Seriously, look at her --> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:ESC_2008_-_Sweden_-_Charlotte_Perrelli%2C_2nd_semifinal.jpg.jpg

Her face is all warped and distorted! Am I the only person who can see how truly horrible she looks? She must be an alien, truly, she can't be human!

I was sitting in a bar cheering every time we got crappy scores from other countries.

SuXrys
05-29-2008, 02:32 AM
I am so genuinely happy Sweden got a crappy score this year. Our entry sucked more than the usual ESC music meh-itude. The singer looked like a poorly done Star Trek alien swamp monster (made Lordi (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lordi) look hot.) Or possibly plastic surgery gone horribly, horribly wrong.

Seriously, look at her --> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:ESC_2008_-_Sweden_-_Charlotte_Perrelli%2C_2nd_semifinal.jpg.jpg

Her face is all warped and distorted! Am I the only person who can see how truly horrible she looks? She must be an alien, truly, she can't be human!

I was sitting in a bar cheering every time we got crappy scores from other countries.

Well, I thought that the song was alright. It was maybe not the best song but it was so much better (in my opinion) then other songs that got better points then "we" did. Spain for example got a better final result then we did and their song is comparable with Irland - Dustin the Turkey. [...] And, talking about Charlotte Perrelli: she has never made any plastic surgery, it is her make-up that makes her look strange, thats all. Hope we have a better song next year, the results this year was a shame if you ask me.. It will be fun to hear all the new songs next year thought. And next year, hope that you will like the entry better. ^_^

One of my favorites this year was Serbia's. Didn't thought so at first but now when I have listen to it a couple of times I just love it!
Regards : SuXrys

Raging Berserker
05-30-2008, 06:28 AM
Hmmm judging from the results I'm beginning to get the impression that noone like England :ninja:

Myrra
06-02-2008, 01:21 PM
What was your first clue?
I mean for the sake of all things cute and fluffy why did they pick an X-factor winner?? And if you saw Scooch last year, you wouldn't ask why everyone makes fun of them.

I really wish Ukraine had won last year. That song was catchy even if I can't remember for the life of me the singer's name. But that costume with all it's shiny fabric is forever embedded in my brain. Oh, that was a great costume.

As for this year..I only wish I hadn't lost track of time. I would've loved to watch it. Ah, well, there's always YouTube and next year.

Brewmaster
06-05-2008, 01:37 AM
I of course cheered for my own country(Serbia) but eh they didn't win T_T anyways Russia wasn't all that bad but eh there were some better ones though.Ukraine yeah nice they were pretty much good.Liked their show more than the last year.When they were more lick clowns(who wasn't the last year one was like a clown show but i liked it :P)

Shiny
06-08-2008, 03:08 PM
I cheered for Russia and I'm happy of its winning, but I can't say I like its song +_+

IchigoKiss
06-09-2008, 12:04 PM
Eris you're not the only one that hated her look...

Eris
06-09-2008, 12:11 PM
Eris you're not the only one that hated her look...

The problem seems to be that the sensible people--those who thinks she looks like a swamp monster--are sensible enough not to watch and vote in the contest that nominated her to represent Sweden in ESC. Argh! Betrayed by our own sensibility!

Storm Strife
06-09-2008, 02:12 PM
Hmmm judging from the results I'm beginning to get the impression that noone like England :ninja:

Because we're not eastern european.

I mostly watch the contest to hear Terry Wogan comment on it, not to see who actually wins, considering the contest is mostly political anyway.