PDA

View Full Version : Translation needed: Sorry for writing "Kouki Yori".

Chocobo
05-21-2008, 06:26 PM
Yeah...I made a mistake when writing my penpal about a week ago. I knew that へ after a name means To: and より after a name means From:. However, I wasn't thinking, so I accidentally wrote 「より・こうきへ」.

I know:
Sorry - すみません
Write/Wrote - 書きます/書きました (かいて)
"Kouki Yori" - 「より。こうき」

I'm wanting to write it as:
すみません! 「より。こうき」を 書きました。

I'm still thinking it's just totally wrong.

I'll need a response by 11:00 central time. After that this can be closed.

Datenshi
05-23-2008, 01:38 AM
I don't know what time it is, but...

>すみません! 「より。こうき」を 書きました。
を->と
書きました->書いてしまいました (~しまいました implies that it was an accident)

「すみません! 「より。こうき」と 書いてしまいました。」

Rizuchan
05-23-2008, 10:21 AM
I knew that へ after a name means To: and より after a name means From:.
Really? Because I've always seen から used for "from". But then, I've never written or read a letter in Japanese, my experience here only comes from Drama CDs. :p
Sorry to be a bit off topic, I'm just curious.

Puu
05-27-2008, 07:51 PM
Really? Because I've always seen から used for "from". But then, I've never written or read a letter in Japanese, my experience here only comes from Drama CDs. :p
Sorry to be a bit off topic, I'm just curious.

Both mean "from", but their uses are slightly different. より is only used for letters (and packages, I suppose. I would also say the "To:, From:" note on X-mas presents and such, although I'm not 100% sure on that one). It's the equal of the greetings you'd put before your name as you sign an English letter (like "Love, Puchu" or "Best of Wishes, Puchu" etc.").

However, while English has tons of these, depending on your relationship to the one on the receiving end (sorry, can't for the life of me remember 'em!), Japanese only has より, at least as far as I know.

So you'd (most likely) use から to tell someone there's a letter for them from someone. "プチュウーちゃん(Puchu-chan)からの手紙(tegami, letter)が来ていましたよ。" But it'd be signed "プチューより".

I'm sorry, did that make any sense? Perhaps someone else can provide a better explanation?

Chocobo
05-27-2008, 07:57 PM
Hmm~

The responses for this were a little too late. We're both already out of school...

This topic can be closed.