PDA

View Full Version : Wii fit 'controversy'

Ravenblade
05-17-2008, 09:52 AM
Ok so I'm guessing most people here know of Wii-fit and so there's really no need for me to explain what it is.

It has been the subject of a controversial debate in the Daily Mail (Brit Press) because it told a 10 year old girl that she was obese. Said 10 yr old was apparently 'devastated' and her parents are furious. The Daily Mail is now trying to get an 18 certificate for Wii Fit XD

So, I guess they have a point in some respects though, considering how health conscious society is nowadays, and the stigma attached to girls especially over their weight.

Of course, Im heartless so I personally disagree with the 18 cert thing, I think children should work with wii-fit to lower their weight (if they're gonna spend £70 on it in the first place...) ^^;;

I have a link to the story if anyone wants it - its being run by GameSpot. Dunno what you policy on linking to external sites is though, so I thought I'd leave it.

Azel
05-17-2008, 12:08 PM
Why would you be a total fatty and then go out and buy a wii fit? Why would her parents do that? I mean, of course it's going to tell you the obvious. It's going to tell you that you need to lay off of the cheeseburgers and start doing a some damn push-ups for once in your life. That is what the game was invented for. If I was the judge in that case I would just show the girl a mirror and call it case closed. What an idiot.

Sanosuke23
05-17-2008, 12:52 PM
AHAHAHA AHA HAha ahahaha aha...

Wow.

Eh, if it only records height and weight to determine that it's kinda inaccurate, but something tells me in this case it was fairly spot-on if she cried about it. What the parents should be doing is encouraging the kid to prove it wrong/change that, but by making it a court case it kind of proves that they agree with the game at some level.

Amray
05-17-2008, 01:22 PM
HAHAHA!! That is so funny!!! Make Wii fitness an 18+?? HAHA!

Thats like making Brain Training an 18+ because they measured the size of someones brain wrong. How stupid.....but funny! :)

Dogmat
05-17-2008, 02:28 PM
That's hilarious! Wii-Fit an 18+!?
"This game contains disturbing content. "Your weight! :eek:"

Ravenblade
05-17-2008, 02:31 PM
That's hilarious! Wii-Fit an 18+!?
"This game contains disturbing content. "Your weight! :eek:"

ROFL XDD!

It would be a sad day when that kinda thing started appearing on age ratings..

The Governator
05-18-2008, 12:31 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MAN! That has just made Wii-Fit from gimmiky pointless money sponge to a peice of comedic gold, I wish they had a pic of the fatties face when she was told she was obese, oh man, Nintendo are awsome!

Seriously though, how can it deserve an 18 rating? all it is (all be it a bit of a paradox) is a game that helps you loose weight.

InsultToInjury
05-18-2008, 04:07 PM
I think giving it an adult rating might be a good thing because I think adults will benefit from it rather than kids. No matter what Wii Fit is not going to change the way kids are today, they would rather sit on their backsides than get up and move. Its an adult mentality to go get up and do something and not whine and cry when it says your over weight or obease. But with the BMI index thing if your like a stone over weight it says your obease. It should have a rating or a guidence thing stating that anyone with a weak mind and cant handle the truth shouldnt play.

Ravenblade
05-18-2008, 04:11 PM
Well yeah, I can see the logic behind that. I think it's gradient is average, overweight then obese though isnt it? So that's a little more balanced.

You might well be right about adults being the only ones to use it, but I don't think the current game rating system caters for a significant reason as to why this should not be for children.

Still though, it could jolt said children into doing something about themselves? Some of them anyway. Enough kids seem to be making themselves throw up to lose weight so there must be some kind of effort amongst younger people to achieve weight loss.

InsultToInjury
05-18-2008, 04:15 PM
Yeah it goes up like a point system you get, underweight right up to clinically obease.

Perhaps not giving it an 18 rating but just make it advised that its for adult use.

It could well get a certain amount of kids to use it the way it was intended and not through a hissy fit when it says something they dont like. Weight is a very touchy subject but its like if they went to the gym or anything todays world you need to be able to handle the truth because it can save your life in the long run.

Khanxay
05-18-2008, 04:20 PM
Then what does Wii Sports get for telling me that I'm 42?

Ravenblade
05-18-2008, 04:21 PM
@InsultToInjury: I agree wholeheartedly. 6 months of feeling bad about yourself is nothing compared to dying 30 years before your time due to too many hamburgers.

InsultToInjury
05-18-2008, 04:25 PM
Exactly. I suppose at the end of the day no matter what they do kids will play it and tell their parents their depressed because the game called them obease and the parents will try and take them to court. Thats the world we live in today.

Drifter Uk
05-18-2008, 04:48 PM
if they get that upset over a game, imagine what happens if they get bullied at school

zorarock
05-18-2008, 07:09 PM
LMFAO Oh man I'm sorry that's funny I don't get why it's controversy to me it's just stupid

Sanosuke23
05-18-2008, 09:50 PM
I think giving it an adult rating might be a good thing because I think adults will benefit from it rather than kids. No matter what Wii Fit is not going to change the way kids are today, they would rather sit on their backsides than get up and move. Its an adult mentality to go get up and do something and not whine and cry when it says your over weight or obease. But with the BMI index thing if your like a stone over weight it says your obease. It should have a rating or a guidence thing stating that anyone with a weak mind and cant handle the truth shouldnt play.

On the contrary, by instilling positive exercise habits into a child from a young age, you make it more likely they'll keep it up throughout their teens and into adulthood. It should also be an adult mentality to do something to help your child when they're overweight or obese, and teach the kids how not to be that. What better way to do that than to make a game out of it?

The girl clearly understands that it isn't a good thing, and instead of complaining that the game it brutally honest her parents should be rethinking their kid's diet and exercise regime. She's just a kid, and even if she wanted to change things she has little power over what she eats when and how often she gets to go out and be active. Saying that kids these days just want to sit around and do nothing is placing the blame on those who are mostly powerless to do anything, or were powerless to do anything during the years where their habits were first formed. If parents were more active with their kids like they used to be, and THEN when they grew into their teenage years the kids decided despite that to not go out and do stuff, then you'd have an argument.

MoroDashi
05-23-2008, 08:22 AM
On that topic of controversy- I saw an article about Wii Fit and how it may be scam in my nintendo magazine! It goes as follows: There's been some controversy overseas's regarding Wii Fit. Is it desgined to get to us fit or is it something else entriely? Mr.Miyamoto -Founder, Nintendo- has stepped up to have his confusing say, his comment goes as follows: "Really, what Wii Fit represents and what Nintendo is trying to do with Wii Fit is expand the gaming population. And the reason that is important for them is because as more people of different ages start playing -even if games like Wii Fit- Their understanding of what video games are and the fact that they're even playing games is going to better their understanding of what gamers are... So in a sense what we're doing by increasing the gaming population is strenghthening their right to continue the game. I'll hope they'll keep that in mind!" So, what he's trying to say is that is might not nessesarily make you get fit, but it increases the sales for Nintendo. And as long as the players are having fun, we're happy. But, what I think is that it might make you lose a quarter of a pound or so. But, it's a video game. Video Games are fun. So, Wii Fit doesn't have to make you 'fitter'. It's just a name that is apposed to be real. It just makes you have fun. I saw in a television ad that they have a rope balancing game. You balance on the Wii Fit Board and ect. How fun is that? Exactly, and my point is proven: It doesn't need to make you fit as long as you fun!

Ranshiin
05-23-2008, 08:42 AM
Wow. I'm shocked.

<_<;

When people go on and on about this sort of stuff only one sentence lingers around my head. Hey, dudes. IT'S JUST A VIDEO GAME.

I can't believe how seriously some people can take a video game! Jesus. It's almost as bad as the whole "GTA made me do it" gimmick. No wait, it's worse. It made a poor obese little girl cry.

(Yes I'm being harsh, but unless the girl -wasm't- actually overweight, it's the truth. They should shut whining about a game actually telling their kid she eats too many Quavers and start whining that she isn't playing the game enough to exercise.)

Nanao Ise
05-25-2008, 04:05 PM
Saw a picture of the girl in the paper, and she's a very thin lass.
Generally when I think 18+ for a game...I think violence, sex/drug references etc.
Soooo...maybe some sort of other rating would be appropriate...? :P

Dark Wolf 09
05-25-2008, 04:16 PM
Well remember she was a ten year old, and they show a lot of emotion during that age; Because, they're still a kid, and don't have self-esteem as the adults, or teens. If she was obese then she would have known the BMI results. If the parents are furious about the results, loose weight by the Wii Fit that's what it's there for, to have interactivity from your Mii's, and having fun while loosing weight, and not even know you have been loosing weight.

On the side note, if the real results are a false academic reason, then try a real weight watcher instead of a false BMI result.

Capernicus
05-25-2008, 04:37 PM
Wow. I hadn't known about that game yet, but now I want it badly. Though, this post has nothing to do with the topic...

>...>

13lack Sheri
05-25-2008, 04:46 PM
lol woooow.....isnt the WHOLE point of buying a game like Wii-Fit to GET fit meaning that you have to know that either your obese or out of shape? ..........at least that's why people i know get it...O.o

Manhattan_Project_2000
05-25-2008, 05:34 PM
Wow. I hadn't known about that game yet, but now I want it badly. Though, this post has nothing to do with the topic...

>...>

Lies, you want the deep emotional validation only a video game machine can provide. It's the same reason I play Guitar Hero. Whenever I finish a song, it notifies me that I rock, and I feel that I can live another day basking in that knowledge. I'm suprised the fat 10 year old didn't kill herself. I certainly would have.

Shido
05-25-2008, 06:10 PM
wii fit is BROKE end of story . The BMI is one of the worse scales to decides someones fitness level and health . more often then not it's WRONG . just go look up the information on it .

It would be ridiculous of anyone to go by the BMI let alone nintendo put it in their game . the brit girl won't be the last (she certainly wasn't the first) to be told shes fat when she's not because of wii fit . If anything the game should have come as an exercise game and that's it , not come with a broken system of measuring one body fat and health .

International 4-8818
05-25-2008, 06:17 PM
BMI is just to show how much fat total you have percentage wise. It's pretty accurate. But are you saying that wii fit tells you based on your BMI that your un healthy or not?

Basically i knew from the beginning that wii fit was bull to the max. I would have to say DDR is better into getting your in shape.

Sanosuke23
05-25-2008, 06:18 PM
Mr.Miyamoto -Founder, Nintendo-

Truth be told, I stopped reading there. If that came from your so-called "Nintendo magazine" then I suggest you cancel your subscription to such an uninformed waste of paper and laminate. The founder of Nintendo is Fusajiro Yamauchi, Shiggy's the Senior Marketing Director and General Manager of Nintendo EAD.

Dark Wolf 09
05-25-2008, 06:35 PM
BMI is just to show how much fat total you have percentage wise. It's pretty accurate. But are you saying that wii fit tells you based on your BMI that your un healthy or not?

Basically i knew from the beginning that wii fit was bull to the max. I would have to say DDR is better into getting your in shape.

Stating the BMI test results are stating an absolute dissatisfied fact from Nintendo's Wii Fit, I blame society.

As for DDR: Don't hate the game, dance until you can never dance no more! Then you'll loose weight Microsoft style. Lmao. Forget the D-pad, use the Dance Pad.

Manhattan_Project_2000
05-25-2008, 06:57 PM

It doesn't measure fat at all. It measures height and weight, and guesses as to how fat you may be according to where you fall on a chart. For example, most Football Players, Weight lifters and Sumo Wrestlers would be Obese, in spite of the fact that they have relatively little fat and can rip a grown ox in two.

If you read the CDC page on it, they basically advocate it because any moron can read a graph, not because it's particularly accurate in every case.

If an athlete or other person with a lot of muscle has a BMI over 25, is that person still considered to be overweight?According to the BMI weight status categories, anyone with a BMI over 25 would be classified as overweight and anyone with a BMI over 30 would be classified as obese.

It is important to remember, however, that BMI is not a direct measure of body fatness and that BMI is calculated from an individual’s weight which includes both muscle and fat. As a result, some individuals may have a high BMI but not have a high percentage of body fat. For example, highly trained athletes may have a high BMI because of increased muscularity rather than increased body fatness. Although some people with a BMI in the overweight range (from 25.0 to 29.9) may not have excess body fatness, most people with a BMI in the obese range (equal to or greater than 30) will have increased levels of body fatness.

It is also important to remember that weight is only one factor related to risk for disease. If you have questions or concerns about the appropriateness of your weight, you should discuss them with your healthcare provider.

Of course, the Wii does have to know your weight if it wants to guess how many calories you've burned looking like a retard. And BMI is the only real way for it to guess your body fat, unless they plan to give you a water displacement test every time you want to use the damn thing. So it's somewhat justifiable.

cedBlog
07-02-2008, 03:23 PM
The Center for Eating Disorders at Sheppard Pratt in Baltimore, Maryland, believes that BMI is not a true reflection of an individual's health and are concerned that the BMI aspect of the Wii Fit program could have a negative impact on peoples' perception - both young and old - of their body image. To learn more about BMI and our thoughts on the topic, visit our CED Blog by Googling 'The Center for Eating Disorders at Sheppard Pratt, Blog' and check out the entry entitled 'BMI Don't You Judge Mii, Wii

cedBlog
07-02-2008, 04:29 PM
The Center for Eating Disorders at Sheppard Pratt in Baltimore, Maryland, believes that BMI is not a true reflection of an individual's health and are concerned that the BMI aspect of the Wii Fit program could have a negative impact on peoples' perception - both young and old - of their body image. To learn more about BMI and our thoughts on the topic, visit our CED Blog by Googling 'The Center for Eating Disorders at Sheppard Pratt, Blog' and check out the entry entitled ‘Don't You Judge Mii, Wii.' http://eatingdisorder.org/blog/2008/06/24/don%e2%80%99t-you-judge-mii-wii/

Manhattan_Project_2000
07-02-2008, 07:08 PM
In after obvious advertisement.

Diocletian
07-02-2008, 07:38 PM
Go do excercise.You know you're obese if you break the little scale while jumping.Don't try it at home,kids,cause your FAT!

wolfgirl90
07-02-2008, 10:24 PM
I do not think that the parents should have reacted in such a way. Its just a game people. True, children have self-esteem issues at that age but measuring your BMI on Wii Fit is actually voluntary. Its not something that it will automatically tell you. It can only sense weight. You have to give your height yourself.

However, while Wii Fit measures your BMI pretty acurately (as long as you stand on the board properly that is and you give your proper height and weight), using the number to determine how "fat" or "thin" you are is not going to work very well depending on the type of person you are. BMI is measured with your height and weight but this only assumes that you have normal muscle distribution and bone mass in your body. This not the case for an athlete, where using a BFP (body fat percentage) would be more accurate, as their muscles are bigger or smaller depending on what sport they play.

For example, because I study judo, I have larger muscles on my thighs, calfs, arms, shoulders and chest because of weight training. I am a heavyweight and according to my BMI (since I am 5'7" and 205 pounds), I would be obese or worse (...ouch;) ). However, I am very active (Judo, Aikido, Capoiera, Soccer....yeah, I'm busy) and I only have so much fat on my body. I am not by any means thin but there are people who weigh just as much as me and look waaaay fatter. In fact, I keep my weight this way to compete with the men, since the heavyweight class for females starts at 150 pounds!!:laugh: :laugh:

BMI only really works for people who do not do any type of specialized exercise (meaning you don't do any sports). If you play a sport, your BMI could be thrown off. Plus, BMI's are measured different for children and the elderly, as they have leaner body masses to begin with. Not that that there aren't any fat children or old people but that their bones and muscles are not as heavy. Nntendo (or who ever put the BMI in the game) just did not put this into account, but, as someone said, there are other, more accurate ways to measure your BMI than with a game, considering the errors that could occur (the girl could have been standing on the board wrong, for one!!!)

███
07-03-2008, 07:25 AM
It's good someone told that girl, seeing as though her parents were going to keep feeding her till she couldn't walk.

A young girl can't get fat if you don't feed them the food to get fat.

Problem solved.