PDA

View Full Version : Help with Japanese slang

Mavericker
05-16-2008, 01:19 PM
Hi. I'm working on a project and I'm interested in Japanese youth, street and college slang. I'd like to know can someone please help me out with English to Japanese slang translations? Please let me know. Thank you. :D

Rizuchan
05-16-2008, 03:55 PM
They have books on it, actually. A friend of mine gave me a book like that not too long ago that's all about Japanese slang. Its called Japanese Street Slang by Peter Constantine and you can probably find it in the language section of your local book store or online.

Of course, I don't know how widely used some of it really is (How 'hip' it is, I mean) But along with lists of words that you won't find in your average Japanese to English dictionary, but it also has some information at the beginning about dialects, contractions and differences between genders in speech. It's a pretty good book, imo.

Mavericker
05-16-2008, 11:38 PM
They have books on it, actually. A friend of mine gave me a book like that not too long ago that's all about Japanese slang. Its called Japanese Street Slang by Peter Constantine and you can probably find it in the language section of your local book store or online.

Of course, I don't know how widely used some of it really is (How 'hip' it is, I mean) But along with lists of words that you won't find in your average Japanese to English dictionary, but it also has some information at the beginning about dialects, contractions and differences between genders in speech. It's a pretty good book, imo.

I know-I have the book. It's better to ask people though what terms people use.

Can you please help me out?

MistressPookyChan
05-17-2008, 10:10 AM
Go out and get "making out in Japanese". I've heard the author is pretty handsome. :)

To be seriously though, I would go to Japanese Podcast 101. They often use slang and casual speak in their podcasts.

shinobikid
06-04-2008, 09:27 PM
heres some slang I know.

Yeah = Un
hey = oi
yo = ossu

Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki
06-04-2008, 09:29 PM
Go out and get "making out in Japanese". I've heard the author is pretty handsome. :)

To be seriously though, I would go to Japanese Podcast 101. They often use slang and casual speak in their podcasts.

Oh I have to second that! "Making Out in Japanese" is one of the greatest books I've ever had! The podcast is pretty cool too. If you're going to try out slang though, I recommend getting familiar with the language first.

Ertai87
06-05-2008, 02:23 PM

Having read bits and pieces of that book (a couple people in the Japanese club at my university have it and brought it to a club meeting once), I can say it's absolutely hilarious, but possibly not what you're looking for. The first one might have a wider variety of slang, but the second one is definitely funnier.

MistressPookyChan
06-06-2008, 08:23 AM
The editor of "making out..." doesn't even recommend the book, to tell you the truth. XD Learn the language in its basic form first, then work on it from there.

TeresaFaintSmile
06-17-2008, 02:53 AM
there's a new street teen slang now in tokyo and its getting quite popular
gen - good, great, awesome ; some ppl also use this on the best player in their group, town, internet shop, etc. this is a gamers slash word ^^

------------------------------------
their are quite many sites in google that you can search that offers nihongo lesson just search for it guyz.

Mavericker
07-14-2008, 10:57 PM
Hi-I'm interested in Japanese street and youth (teen and college) slang.
I'd like to know, what are Japanese slang terms and expressions for:

tough guy
tough girl
tough woman

besides:

tafunayatsu, tsuee yatsu and tsuee yarou, tufagaru, gekitsuyoino, tswuamono, yibai-yatsu for tough guy?

A tough guy can be:

a guy prone to fighting
a physically strong and/or emotionally strong guy
a powerfully-built male
a guy who can endure a lot

a tough female, besides sukeban, otemba, yanki, and Ofukuro gyaru and
tough female: yanki, sukeban, 女親分-onna oyabun、 女番長-onnna bancho、 女ボス-onnna bosu、 ヘッド-heddo(=head)、 おばんギャル-oban gyaru、 つえー女-tsuee onna(=female toughie) onni-baba, Onna Chiimaa (女チーマー)Onnna Gyangu, “Ko-gyaru/Ko-gal”, “Oyaji Gyaru” “Ofukuro Gyaru”
A tough girl can be:

a girl prone to fighting
a physically strong and/or emotionally strong girl
a powerfully-built girl
a girl who can endure a lot

Same thing with a tough woman

I'm looking for terms that are positive.

Hello. I am interested in and am doing research on Cambodian/Khmer street, youth and college slang for a project I'm working on.

I'd also like to know:

What are Japanese slang terms and expressions for:

tomboy

big brother besides Aniki
big sister besides Anego, as in people others look up to.

guy prone to fighting
girl prone to fighting
woman prone to fighting
delinquent girl
delinquent boy
cool guy
cool girl
gangster
punk
wild girl
wild boy
powerfully-built male
powerfully-built female
strong guy
strong girl
strong woman
Please let me know and please list as many slang terms and expressions for each term as possible. Thank you.

Mavericker
07-17-2008, 03:09 PM
Is there someone who can please help me with Japanese translations?

dabura667
07-18-2008, 04:05 AM
*Removed quote to edit in between*

tough guy
tough girl
tough woman

besides:

tafunayatsu, tsuee yatsu and tsuee yarou, tufagaru, gekitsuyoino, tswuamono, yibai-yatsu for tough guy?

A tough guy can be:

a guy prone to fighting
>>>>>喧嘩っ早いヤツ kenkappayai yatsu
>>>>>肉体的に強い・精神的に強いヤツ nikutaiteki ni tsuyoi / seishinteki ni tsuyoi
a powerfully-built male
>>>>>ガッチリした男 gacchiri shita otoko
>>>>>忍耐力の高い男 nintairyoku no takai otoko

tough female: yanki, sukeban, 女親分-onna oyabun、 女番長-onnna bancho、 女ボス-onnna bosu、 ヘッド-heddo(=head)、 おばんギャル-oban gyaru、 つえー女-tsuee onna(=female toughie) onni-baba, Onna Chiimaa (女チーマー)Onnna Gyangu, “Ko-gyaru/Ko-gal”, “Oyaji Gyaru” “Ofukuro Gyaru”

コギャル+親父ギャル=not neccesarily tough, oyaji gyaru was popular in early 90s for girls who would hang out with old men because Japanese economy was so good that old men would pay lots of money for young girls to hang out with them.

A tough girl can be:

a girl prone to fighting
a powerfully-built girl

>>>>Same as I say above

Hello. I am interested in and am doing research on Cambodian/Khmer street, youth and college slang for a project I'm working on.

I'd also like to know:

tomboy 男っぽい女の子 otokoppoi onna no ko

big brother besides Aniki お兄さん oniisan
big sister besides Anego, as in people others look up to. お姉さん oneesan

Aniki and Anego are more formal... and speak mostly of real sibling (or super close friend who is like sibling) but oneesan and oniisan can refer to just young person. also, slanger expressions like neechan and niichan and such can be used.

guy prone to fighting
喧嘩っ早い男 kenkappayai otoko

girl prone to fighting
Kenkappayai shoujo

woman prone to fighting
kenkappayai onna

delinquent girl
furyou shoujo
yankii

delinquent boy
furyou shounen
yankii

cool guy
ikemen
kakkoii
motemote

cool girl
bijin
kawaii
kirei
motemote

gangster
furyou
yankii
bousouzoku
yakuza
baikugyangu

punk
furyou (in japan we don't have so many different varations of words for bad people)

wild girl
abarenbou
tenshon no takai onna

wild boy
abarenbou
tenshon no takai otoko

powerfully-built male
gacchiri shita otoko

powerfully-built female
gacchiri shita onna

strong guy
tsuyoi otoko

strong girl
tsuyoi shoujo

strong woman
tsuyoi onna

Please let me know and please list as many slang terms and expressions for each term as possible. Thank you.

You ask a lot of question for similar words that in Japanese we don't usually make different... like a lot of time you say boy then man, girl then woman... usually we just say onna and otoko (which maybe direct translation would be more like female and male) so it would most likely be said the same... but if they were emphasize the fact that she was only 6 years old when she became a bad girl, they might say "furyou shoujo"

but in normal speech we don't use.

but I hope this helped.

Mavericker
07-18-2008, 08:23 AM
*Removed quote to edit in between*

tough guy
tough girl
tough woman

besides:

A tough guy can be:

a guy prone to fighting
>>>>>喧嘩っ早いヤツ kenkappayai yatsu
>>>>>肉体的に強い・精神的に強いヤツ nikutaiteki ni tsuyoi / seishinteki ni tsuyoi
a powerfully-built male
>>>>>ガッチリした男 gacchiri shita otoko
>>>>>忍耐力の高い男 nintairyoku no takai otoko

コギャル+親父ギャル=not neccesarily tough, oyaji gyaru was popular in early 90s for girls who would hang out with old men because Japanese economy was so good that old men would pay lots of money for young girls to hang out with them.

A tough girl can be:

a girl prone to fighting
a powerfully-built girl

>>>>Same as I say above

I'd also like to know:

tomboy 男っぽい女の子 otokoppoi onna no ko

big brother besides Aniki お兄さん oniisan
big sister besides Anego, as in people others look up to. お姉さん oneesan

Aniki and Anego are more formal... and speak mostly of real sibling (or super close friend who is like sibling) but oneesan and oniisan can refer to just young person. also, slanger expressions like neechan and niichan and such can be used.

guy prone to fighting
喧嘩っ早い男 kenkappayai otoko

girl prone to fighting
Kenkappayai shoujo

woman prone to fighting
kenkappayai onna

delinquent girl
furyou shoujo
yankii

delinquent boy
furyou shounen
yankii

cool guy
ikemen
kakkoii
motemote

cool girl
bijin
kawaii
kirei
motemote

gangster
furyou
yankii
bousouzoku
yakuza
baikugyangu

punk
furyou (in japan we don't have so many different varations of words for bad people)

wild girl
abarenbou
tenshon no takai onna

wild boy
abarenbou
tenshon no takai otoko

powerfully-built male
gacchiri shita otoko

powerfully-built female
gacchiri shita onna

strong guy
tsuyoi otoko

strong girl
tsuyoi shoujo

strong woman
tsuyoi onna

You ask a lot of question for similar words that in Japanese we don't usually make different... like a lot of time you say boy then man, girl then woman... usually we just say onna and otoko (which maybe direct translation would be more like female and male) so it would most likely be said the same... but if they were emphasize the fact that she was only 6 years old when she became a bad girl, they might say "furyou shoujo"

but in normal speech we don't use.

but I hope this helped.

Hi there and thank you for responding> THis is the first time I got to see any new responses. I apologize but my post wasn't as thorough as I wanted it to be.

I know that otenba, okyan, hanekaeri. yancha, (http://jpn.proz.com/kudoz/english_to_japanese/slang/1374823-tomboy.html#3239381)jajauma (http://jpn.proz.com/kudoz/english_to_japanese/slang/1374823-tomboy.html#3239381) (http://jpn.proz.com/kudoz/english_to_japanese/slang/1374823-tomboy.html#3239381) are Japanese slang terms for tomboy- is there a shorter way to say "otokoppoi onna no ko"?

I forgot to ask:

What are Japanese slang terms for

a bold, foward guy?
a bold, foward girl?
a bold, foward woman?

Are there any shorter ways to say:
guy prone to fighting
kenkappayai otoko

girl prone to fighting
Kenkappayai shoujo

woman prone to fighting
kenkappayai onna

delinquent girl
furyou shoujo

delinquent boy
furyou shounen

wild girl
tenshon no takai onna

wild boy
tenshon no takai otoko

powerfully-built male
gacchiri shita otoko

powerfully-built female
gacchiri shita onna

Can I just substitute tsuee for tsuyoi?

Please let me know-I appreciate your help. :D

Mavericker
07-20-2008, 07:10 PM
Is there anyone else here who can please help me out with Japanese slang?

Datenshi
07-21-2008, 06:41 AM
What are Japanese slang terms for

a bold, foward guy?
a bold, foward girl?
a bold, foward woman?
ki no tsuyoi yatsu(=guy)/ko(=girl)/onna(=woman, "ama" for a derogatory nuance)

"Yatsu" can be used for both genders but is usually directed at males.

Are there any shorter ways to say:
guy prone to fighting
kenkappayai otoko

girl prone to fighting
Kenkappayai shoujo

woman prone to fighting
kenkappayai onna

You could phrase it as "guy with a short temper" and get "tanki na yatsu".

delinquent girl
furyou shoujo

delinquent boy
furyou shounen

I can't think of a shorter way to say this, but "furyou" by itself can mean "a delinquent" so you could use that if you want to be brief. Or you can use the term "waru", which is often used to refer to delinquent people.

wild girl
tenshon no takai onna

wild boy
tenshon no takai otoko

"Wild" (="Wairudo") is actually a loan-word in Japanese, so you can use that (i.e. "Wairudo na yatsu/onna").

powerfully-built male
gacchiri shita otoko

powerfully-built female
gacchiri shita onna

How about "gatai no ii". i.e. "gatai no ii yatsu/otoko/onna".

Or, you can just use the term "big" (i.e. "a big guy"); "dekai". "Dekai yatsu/onna".

Can I just substitute tsuee for tsuyoi?
Yes.

Mavericker
07-21-2008, 11:30 AM
ki no tsuyoi yatsu(=guy)/ko(=girl)/onna(=woman, "ama" for a derogatory nuance)

"Yatsu" can be used for both genders but is usually directed at males.

You could phrase it as "guy with a short temper" and get "tanki na yatsu".

I can't think of a shorter way to say this, but "furyou" by itself can mean "a delinquent" so you could use that if you want to be brief. Or you can use the term "waru", which is often used to refer to delinquent people.

"Wild" (="Wairudo") is actually a loan-word in Japanese, so you can use that (i.e. "Wairudo na yatsu/onna").

How about "gatai no ii". i.e. "gatai no ii yatsu/otoko/onna".

Or, you can just use the term "big" (i.e. "a big guy"); "dekai". "Dekai yatsu/onna".

Yes.

Thank you. Do you know any other Japanese slang terms I can use for "tough guy", "tough girl" and "tough woman," other then the ones I listed?

Is there a shorter way to say, "tomboy", "otokoppoi onna no ko"?

Are there any other Japanese slang terms for tomboy I can use?

Is there a shorter way to say, "a physically strong and/or emotionally strong guy" "nikutaiteki ni tsuyoi / seishinteki ni tsuyoi"?

Are there any other slang terms I can use for "physically/emotionally strong guy?" The only other ones I can think up is maccho/matcho, Konishiki, Akebono and chikaramochi, mukimuki.

What are Japanese slang terms for:

"physically/emotionally strong female"?
Please let me know. Thank you. :D

Mavericker
07-22-2008, 12:14 PM
Can "honcho" be used as a slang term for a big shot?

Datenshi
07-29-2008, 04:23 AM
Thank you. Do you know any other Japanese slang terms I can use for "tough guy", "tough girl" and "tough woman," other then the ones I listed?

I can't think of any at the moment.

Is there a shorter way to say, "tomboy", "otokoppoi onna no ko

Are there any other Japanese slang terms for tomboy I can use?

What are Japanese slang terms for:

"physically/emotionally strong female"?
Please let me know. Thank you. :D

"kachiki na onna" -> a female with a strong, forward personality
"otoko masari na onna" -> a tomboy, literally "more boyish than a boy"

Is there a shorter way to say, "a physically strong and/or emotionally strong guy" "nikutaiteki ni tsuyoi / seishinteki ni tsuyoi"?

Are there any other slang terms I can use for "physically/emotionally strong guy?" The only other ones I can think up is maccho/matcho, Konishiki, Akebono and chikaramochi, mukimuki.

nikutaiteki ni tsuyoi -> karada ga tsuyoi
seishinteki ni tsuyoi -> kokoro ga tsuyoi
I can't think of anything else that hasn't been raised by someone already.

Can "honcho" be used as a slang term for a big shot?

I've never heard of it used that way so I suppose not.

Mavericker
07-29-2008, 02:07 PM
I can't think of any at the moment.

"kachiki na onna" -> a female with a strong, forward personality
"otoko masari na onna" -> a tomboy, literally "more boyish than a boy"

nikutaiteki ni tsuyoi -> karada ga tsuyoi
seishinteki ni tsuyoi -> kokoro ga tsuyoi
I can't think of anything else that hasn't been raised by someone already.

I've never heard of it used that way so I suppose not.

I was told, other slang terms for tomboy are:

=otenba (i think this one is ok), otenba musume (kinda outdated), okyan (outdated), tomboy-- okabe, お転婆; 御転婆 おてんば tomboy (dut: ontembaar)

侠 きゃん tomboy; bobby soxer; flapper

Do you know any others?

Datenshi
07-31-2008, 06:05 AM
I was told, other slang terms for tomboy are:

=otenba (i think this one is ok), otenba musume (kinda outdated), okyan (outdated), tomboy-- okabe, お転婆; 御転婆 おてんば tomboy (dut: ontembaar)

侠 きゃん tomboy; bobby soxer; flapper

Out of all the words you listed, "otenba" is probably the only word that is actually used in modern Japanese.

Why do you need so many words to say "tomboy" anyhow? The only word in English for tomboy is "tomboy", so I can't see why you don't imagine it would be any different in Japanese.

Mavericker
07-31-2008, 01:56 PM
Out of all the words you listed, "otenba" is probably the only word that is actually used in modern Japanese.

Why do you need so many words to say "tomboy" anyhow? The only word in English for tomboy is "tomboy", so I can't see why you don't imagine it would be any different in Japanese.

It's part of my project I'm working on.