PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations

Millertron
05-13-2008, 06:08 PM
Hey guys, I'll start off by saying I'm a complete noob to the forums, so apologies in advance for posting in the wrong section if I have.

Basically, I'm new to Anime. I've seen a few popular ones such as Spirited Away, and was wondering if you guys could recommend me anything. I've picked up a few random ones off the shelves of the local video store, including Dead Leaves (which I absolutely loved) and a series of 'Colorful' (which I found hilarious). The girlfriend's introduced me to series such as Naruto and Saiyuki, but I wasn't into them so much. Based on that very limited list I was hoping you guys could light up a few recommendations to increase my small collection. I seem to most appreciate the generally obscure, random anime, which seems to be best enjoyed whilst intoxicated :P

Cheers guys, any help is much appreciated.

Ωmega
05-13-2008, 06:12 PM
Well, seeing as how I seem to have similar tastes, I would recommend:

Lovely Complex [comedy]
Ouran High School Host Club [comedy]
Excel Saga [comedy]
Noir [drama/action]
Howels Moving Castle*
Kiki's Delivery Service*
Princess Mononoke*
Naussica Valley of The Wind*

*= all done by the same creator who did Spirited Away. He makes fantastic movies.

Millertron
05-13-2008, 06:16 PM
Oh yeah, Ghost In The Shell, Howl's Moving Castle and Kiki's Delivery Service I've seen both of. Brilliant films. Thanks a lot. =]

serasvct
05-13-2008, 06:21 PM
If you enjoyed Dead Leaves, you might like Paprika.

I also second everything that MaruDashi recommended, particularly Noir, Ouran and Howls Moving Castle.

I also recommend:
Cowboy Bebop: a classic, must-see for animation, storyline and music.
Ghost in the Shell: cybernetic sci-fi

Millertron
05-13-2008, 06:50 PM
Yeah, Ghost In The Shell was brilliant. I can't really afford £30 for the Cowboy Bebop Series Boxed Set, do you think I'd be able to understand the movie if I hadn't watched the series?

Ωmega
05-13-2008, 06:56 PM
Yeah, Ghost In The Shell was brilliant. I can't really afford £30 for the Cowboy Bebop Series Boxed Set, do you think I'd be able to understand the movie if I hadn't watched the series?
Yes, the movie is very "stand alone" from the series. The only thing you may be lost about with the Bebop movie is a bit of the back stories with the characters...thats it really.

Sashikizu
05-13-2008, 08:03 PM
You may have to be in a mood for it, but a good comedy I recently found is Princess. Basically it's about an all boys school who needs some feminie touch, so they make the 3 prettiest boys dress up as princess. Uhm... maybe that's for girls. *blush*

A funny anime that has plenty of action/comedy/drama is the Full Metal Panic series. Chidori is amazing, lol.

serasvct
05-13-2008, 09:45 PM
It's a pity you can't afford the Cowboy Bebop. It's one of the first anime I added to my collection, and I continue to re-watch it to this day. Do try to see the movie, if you can. As Maru said, it is pretty stand-alone.

demonplight
05-14-2008, 02:16 AM
Lucky Star
Ghost in the Shell... all of them 3 movies 2 seasons
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Patlabor 3 movies 2 seasons
Just about anything Gundam
Bleach is good. as is Naruto.
Trigun
Beserk
Bubble Gum Crisis 2040
Samuri 7
Air Gear
Hell Sing
Ah and Oh My Goddess
Full Metal Alchemist
Gun Smith Cats
Claymore
Record of Lodoss War

The question is what you into?

Anzellote
05-14-2008, 05:53 AM
see:
Shakugan no Shana
Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha
Night Wizard
Elemental gelade
Fate/Stay Night

you have a lot :P

Ultimate Seed
05-14-2008, 06:51 AM
I really enjoy:
Naruto
Bleach
Evangelion
Trigun
Final Fantasy
Full Metal Alchemist

Memento Mori
05-14-2008, 07:11 AM
Howels Moving Castle*
Kiki's Delivery Service*
Princess Mononoke*
Naussica Valley of The Wind*

*= all done by the same creator who did Spirited Away. He makes fantastic movies.

I love you for that. -Big Miyazaki fan-Anyway, I'd recommend Eureka Seven, Cowboy Bebop, all the Miyazaki movies, Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, Princess Mononoke, Kiki's Delivery Service, Grave of the Fireflies[SAD], and Ghost in the Shell. Probably Samurai Champloo, too.

Amray
05-14-2008, 07:55 AM
Tales from Earthsea.
Gun X Sword.
Princess Mononoke.
Read or Die.

serasvct
05-14-2008, 02:35 PM
I completely forgot Samurai Champloo! That's definitely one to have a few drinks with.