PDA

View Full Version : Media, think they're going too far?

Souji Seta
05-07-2008, 03:57 AM
Well, thats my question, do you think that media is going too far?

Yeah, I understand that they are just doing their jobs but I think they're going to far. They would report massacres to the latest gossip about some celebrity. Some journalists would even make up stories just to make their paper sell. It made such a fuss when a certain newspaper here in my country let out false information into the public. I heard from a certain TV show (I don't remember) that some journalists even have police radios so they can get to a crime scene or get information about a certain criminal quickly.
And about celebrities, is it really right for the media to announce to the public about their private lives?

So do you think that the media is going too far when it comes to these things?
Do you believe that some things are better left unknown by the public?

Sanosuke23
05-07-2008, 04:08 AM
I believe there is a definite line, but it is part of the reporter's job to test where that line is. It's up to the individual or individuals responsible for what they're reporting on to mark and enforce that line. Reporters are only in the wrong when they begin looking for ways to circumvent that line.

Souji Seta
05-07-2008, 04:11 AM
Yeah I know but the problem is, here in my country, the journalists don't know where that line is. They just report whatever they get their hands on, whether it is idiotic or not.

Sanosuke23
05-07-2008, 04:15 AM
Like I said, until someone tells them "HEY! NO. NO. BAD REPORTER. NO. BAD. YOU DON'T DO THAT," then they have carte blanche to eke out a story from anything and everything. If enough people think that it's an idiotic story they'll be less likely to watch/read/listen to that outlet, and the editor will change the content of the media used accordingly.

poison.ivy
05-07-2008, 04:18 AM
Yeah, media is definitely overdoing it with many many things. Tho celebrities are famous and all, they're still human beings like we who aren't famous. They should have some privacy at least. But I don't think we can blame it all on the media, cuz public often grasps for dirty little secrets of their idols too.

Souji Seta
05-07-2008, 04:27 AM
Like I said, until someone tells them "HEY! NO. NO. BAD REPORTER. NO. BAD. YOU DON'T DO THAT," then they have carte blanche to eke out a story from anything and everything. If enough people think that it's an idiotic story they'll be less likely to watch/read/listen to that outlet, and the editor will change the content of the media used accordingly.[QUOTE]

That'll be good if the editors do their jobs well. Maybe they already take out so much or maybe they just give it to the public raw, hmm. btw, what is "Carte Blanche"?

[quote=poison.ivy;2032892]Yeah, media is definitely overdoing it with many many things. Tho celebrities are famous and all, they're still human beings like we who aren't famous. They should have some privacy at least. But I don't think we can blame it all on the media, cuz public often grasps for dirty little secrets of their idols too.

So you're saying that the public is partly to be blamed? Hmm, I guess so I mean, my friend (who is a gay) sends me some text messages regarding the latest gossip about celebrities. I guess he wants everyone updated.

Manhattan_Project_2000
05-07-2008, 09:00 AM
btw, what is "Carte Blanche"?
French for "Blank Check (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blank_cheque)."

Sagat
05-07-2008, 09:41 AM
I have never, ever, liked the media. I respect very few journalists, namely ... Well, Peter Mansbridge, Larry King and someone else I can't remember. Mostly though, I have no time for the media.

On top of that, the media - paparazzi's - were responsible in a large way for Princess Diana's death, with their blood hound persuit of a story. Pathetic, they are totally pathetic.

The media is a necessary evil, as it can sometimes invoke good things. More often than not though .. sensationalist crap.

poison.ivy
05-07-2008, 10:16 AM
So you're saying that the public is partly to be blamed? Hmm, I guess so I mean, my friend (who is a gay) sends me some text messages regarding the latest gossip about celebrities. I guess he wants everyone updated.

LOL ^^ Mostly, people are thrilled when they can make fun of celebrities. Media is simply making money on those kind of people. *sigh* That's actually pretty sad.

Famahama
05-07-2008, 12:01 PM
A bit, especially on about celebrities and such (as Poison said). The reporters get up, walk over there and asks them why they get divorced, attacked and what not. In public. After they get the info they needed, they dig DEEPER! (as Sanosuke said, partly Chrono's) They don't know where the line is. The kinds that just charge through are especially annoying.

I don't really like/watch celebrity news much, but from what I've seen, a lot of Malay reporters do that. Not sure about other countries though.

False info really is the true evil.

Amray
05-07-2008, 12:05 PM
They are a bunch of nosey and selfish gits, thats what they are.

As long as they get their filthy, ink-ridden hands on a decent story and then get paid for it, they are happy. Yes it is their job but that is still what they are. XD

Migoto
05-07-2008, 12:14 PM
I don't even bother watching large news networks anymore (like FOX) because I believe that the media is altered by some higher power (not spiritual, like organization) to fabricate or censor what they report on.

A great documentary on similar ideas can be found here:
http://www.zeitgeistmovie.com/

Eris
05-07-2008, 03:46 PM
If sensationalist media was stuck in a burning building, I wouldn't try to save them.

They are actively abusing the special rights and immunities they have been given. To call them a cancer on society would be an affront to more respectable parasites.

Balance
05-07-2008, 04:09 PM
It's media, there's nothing much we can do about it. I think that they do in fact go too far, but then, if I were to continue on, I'd do a longer explanation of what posion.ivy has just already said.
Personally, if I was ever asked if I wanted to be on television, I'd say no. No matter what. I hate it when words are twisted around to get exactly what the media AND public wants.

Then again, the government also filters what we see as well.

Eris
05-07-2008, 05:32 PM
It's media, there's nothing much we can do about it. I think that they do in fact go too far, but then, if I were to continue on, I'd do a longer explanation of what posion.ivy has just already said.

It isn't possible to fix it by having the government control media, but it is possible for the grassroots to do something about it. If there is a non-government affiliated public awareness campaign against sensationalism, as well as a non-sensationalist alternative, it should be possible to do something about this situation.

Hideki Motosuwa.
05-07-2008, 07:52 PM
The media is horrible sometimes. I actually feel bad for some celebritiesBritney Spears >.<

Souji Seta
05-08-2008, 03:16 AM
LOL ^^ Mostly, people are thrilled when they can make fun of celebrities. Media is simply making money on those kind of people. *sigh* That's actually pretty sad.
Yeah, I agree, I suddenly remembered something Eric Bischoff said "Controversy creates cash". I guess this is what he meant by those words.

It isn't possible to fix it by having the government control media, but it is possible for the grassroots to do something about it. If there is a non-government affiliated public awareness campaign against sensationalism, as well as a non-sensationalist alternative, it should be possible to do something about this situation.

Yeah, I agree strongly especially when the media is already watching the government's every move. They're becoming revolutionaries. Actually here in my country, a number of journalists have been reported missing or dead. These journalists were known to always criticize the government and report to the people every detail about it. Thats why it's been deemed as "Extra-judicial Killings". People believe that the government is at fault.

They are a bunch of nosey and selfish gits, thats what they are.

As long as they get their filthy, ink-ridden hands on a decent story and then get paid for it, they are happy. Yes it is their job but that is still what they are. XD

Can't say it better myself!

On top of that, the media - paparazzi's - were responsible in a large way for Princess Diana's death, with their blood hound persuit of a story. Pathetic, they are totally pathetic.

The media is a necessary evil, as it can sometimes invoke good things. More often than not though .. sensationalist crap.

Yes, there is a belief that the paparazzis did play a key role in Princess Diana's death. I have forgotten about the details though. No matter what happens, they still do whatever it takes to get their stories even if it means hurting people. But I do respect the journalists going to the frontlines or warfare to make the people know the status of the fight.

Dxon
05-08-2008, 03:21 AM
They control a part of our minds. Live with it. :)

I don't think they go to far. But as long they don't use Mind Control DeviceŠ
then I'm fine OK with it.

JJ46
05-08-2008, 03:33 AM
This discussion reminds me of the movie Paparazzi (http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1808470951/info). Now that is a movie that'll make you think twice about being a celebrity. It's another case where they go to extreme measures to make money and sell their "news" but this time in the form of photographs. Perhaps the movie is a bit extreme, I don't know, but it reminds of how people go to any extent, relentlessly, to get their news. These days a lot of the stuff we get isn't honest anymore, not onle from tabloids, but from major newspapers as well.

Howling Star
05-08-2008, 04:47 AM
Hmm I think if you track all back it's also the fault of some people. Like well why do they do it ? Bashing in others lifes. Cause people find it interesting. If no one would buy those megazines etc. They would stop. I find the news and newspaper kinda good. But only know how it goes with the wars and the news about other stuff. That's all for the rest I don't care. But no matter how you look at it. I hate and dislike those reporters. I mean give someone a break they got no rights to bash into your life. I think I once saw a movie btw. He was a movie star I believe and then reporters where annoying him and he punched one and so in the end he killed all.

Jimbow
05-08-2008, 05:09 AM
they're just doing their work,, you can't blame them for it...

Souji Seta
05-08-2008, 08:22 AM
they're just doing their work,, you can't blame them for it...

Yeah, I understand that you know but they take things too far. Barging in the private lives of celebrities, reporting unnecessary rumors and even sometimes giving out false information to the public. The journalists should know where too far is and stop when it is time to do so.

gaburieru
05-08-2008, 09:09 AM
The media is not going far enough! Instead of diging into important matters they write about a lot of celeb bullshit.

Jimbow
05-08-2008, 09:22 AM
Yeah, I understand that you know but they take things too far. Barging in the private lives of celebrities, reporting unnecessary rumors and even sometimes giving out false information to the public. The journalists should know where too far is and stop when it is time to do so.

they should use those kind of qualities to report about important thing instead of telling everyone about celebrities private lives...

Kewii
05-08-2008, 09:27 AM

But if people didn't buy it, then they wouldn't be able to go so far. I kind of agree with Jimbow. They're doing their jobs. They might not be jobs that we respect a lot, but they are jobs that probably pay fairly well.

If people didn't buy the information they get, then it wouldn't be such a lucrative job and then there wouldn't be as big of a problem of media going so far.

Eris
05-08-2008, 09:44 AM
They're doing their jobs. They might not be jobs that we respect a lot, but they are jobs that probably pay fairly well.

Funny, so did the guards at Auschwitz.

Trisseh
05-08-2008, 12:42 PM
Bah, the media is only good for messing things up. This Miley Cirus thing? Her tweeny fans would never have known about it if the media didn't make a big deal about it. She'd be showing more skin in a bathing suit for cat's sake.

Jimbow
05-08-2008, 01:44 PM
Funny, so did the guards at Auschwitz.

I dont think its fair too start saying those kind of things....

Datenshi
05-09-2008, 09:04 AM
On that basis, almost all news is unnecessary. Wars or economic fluctuations are topics that I agree every citizen would rightly feel the need to know, but do we really need to know about a fire in another city, or a tragedy in a distant country, or whether some husband killed the wife out of a squabble, to the point where we feel the necessity to tune in on a continual basis?

Which leads to the question, why do we watch the news, anyhow? I think that's because and only because it's pleasurable. As humans we instinctively dislike the fact that there is something out there in the world around us we are not aware of, and when we gain knowledge, no matter how superficial or trivial or even blatantly false, it feels good. When we consume gossip I suspect we are engaging in nothing other than mental masturbation.

So I find it really pointless to debate what's "proper" or "improper" for a reporter to report. As long as "the masses" desire news, the media will be there to feed it to them for a price. The relevancy of the content doesn't matter in the slightest.

Eris
05-09-2008, 09:50 AM
I dont think its fair too start saying those kind of things....

It is highly relevant. The point is that "I'm just doing my job" is never a justification for objectionable actions; it doesn't shield you from the consequences of your actions.

Ramona Flowers
05-09-2008, 10:14 AM
I can't hold anything against them. Mankind has always enjoyed the suffering of their fellow men. Lies or not, as long as we think we have a good idea of what's happening around us and beyond.

Personally, when I want to hear about the world I listen to MPR or watch Current. You don't have to eat everything America offers you.

Jimbow
05-09-2008, 12:22 PM
It is highly relevant. The point is that "I'm just doing my job" is never a justification for objectionable actions; it doesn't shield you from the consequences of your actions.

well yeah,, but writing some bad things isn't as worse as what happened at Auschwitz right?

Sagat
05-09-2008, 01:21 PM
well yeah,, but writing some bad things isn't as worse as what happened at Auschwitz right?

You've completely missed the context of what No. 6 was saying.

Datenshi
05-09-2008, 01:28 PM

If I may be so rude, I think you're missing the point. Not to put words into anyone's mouth, from what I read, I think Number Six isn't saying the fundamental act of the lagers of Auschwitz and journalism are the same thing. He's pointing out one specific facet that the two happen to have in common to make a specific point.

Jimbow
05-09-2008, 01:43 PM
oh like that,, well in that case,, you can negate my remark :)

sadida
05-09-2008, 05:51 PM
If I may be so idealistic as to say so- there's a difference between investigative reporting and the pointlessness that is paparrazzi.
Legitimate reporting uncovers and presents news for the benefit of the public. Paparazzi and celebrity reporting is for the benefit of the entertainment industry. And I feel like most celebrities, if they don't actually like the attention, they feel like its part of their job description. That's the catch when they make that much $$. I don't know why people care so much tho. Get ur own problems to obsess over.

Disarm
05-09-2008, 05:54 PM
They have always gone to far
don't believe everything you hear is a very good cliche to fall back on for the media.

Souji Seta
05-09-2008, 09:11 PM
Whoa, Datenshi, thats a great point. You really analyzed the situation.
So I guess as long as people keep entertainin these kinds of news, the media will keep pushing even if they go too far.

I guess thats true, if no one would buy celebrity magazines or newspapers full of idiotic news, then they wouldn't bother.

Perpetual Specter
05-11-2008, 02:11 PM
I have to say yes also. They do go to far into people's lives sometimes, especially when it comes to celebrities. I don't hate all media though, at least not the ones that report on important issues accurately and with truth.