PDA

View Full Version : Skin Deep?

broken_white_roses
04-24-2008, 11:50 AM
What makes a person pretty/handsome? Is truly about personality like we claim or are there more physical qualities? Why are we attracted to certain people and not others?
please keep your comentary on a PG level....

Daenerys
04-24-2008, 12:00 PM
Honestly, beauty is talking about appearance.

It has nothing to do with a person on the inside.

Now attraction, that's what you're talking about. Either or.

Infinita
04-24-2008, 12:29 PM
I guess it all depends to what your preference is in males. (or whatever, your preference is.....) I prefer males who are tall and have a unique personality. I guess the best qualities come from the personality then appearance. ^^

SuXrys
04-24-2008, 12:42 PM
What makes someone attractive is many things. The outside of a person is the first thing you look at, its something that ppl "cant" deny, but when you start talking to someone; even the most handsome creature in the world can turn into unappetizing. So I would like to say that the unique personality of someone is what makes he or she attractive. But then again, the most people also (or atleast doesnt have anything against it) want that their partner should have some attractive qualitys and.. hm... If we are only talking about the outside only then I would like to say; the smile, the eyes, the length (taller then me^_^) and then... Oh gosh, I hope that this doesnt turn me into a pervert like Jirayia, but I would also like to say the rump. If someone has a good rump, then he sure wins credit points in my eyes. ^_^ But then, the personality is the first and most important thing of them all.

You dont fall in love with someone because he is attractive, he becomes attractive by you falling in love with him.

Amray
04-24-2008, 01:20 PM
Depends on your taste and also your thoughts. I mean, what does a blind person go by when falling in love? My guess would be the others personality. Therefore maybe ones personality can be beautiful.

I go for the small cuddly cute girls with short hair, and ones with a happy personality and also a decent sense of humour. It is ones personality that makes a person complete.

Baka
04-24-2008, 01:26 PM
Pink = beauty

Eris
04-24-2008, 01:31 PM
Pink = Death

There, I fixed it for you.

Sagat
04-24-2008, 01:31 PM
It's a blend of personality and appearance. For strictly physical, for me, I am attracted to asians 95% more times than any other race. Specifically, filipinas (Japanese come close second..)

That being said, anyone who exhibits the personality traits in my nigh-impossibly high standards and manage to interest me I am attracted to.

Many different things can be attractive in many different people (physical and personality), it's hard to narrow it down..

Amray
04-24-2008, 01:49 PM
Pink = Strawberry Ice-cream, maybe a bit of brown for the Flake, because Ice-cream needs a flake.

There I edited it for you.

Do you think that someone could fall in love with someones voice because it's beautiful?

-Kitsune-
04-24-2008, 02:57 PM
Appearance doesnt make too big of a difference to me, I care more about personality. Think about it, personality stays generally the same over time but looks change all the time. Even so, I guess a lot of people base judgement off looks because its the easiest and the first thing to notice.

Ein Einsamer Soldat
04-24-2008, 03:03 PM
I won't lie appearnce means alot to me, but then again the only girl that (at least thought) I ever "loved"
I would consider a 6 1/2 on my scale
(please no bad rep for me being a superficial b*st*rd, I'm trying to change)

Hideki Motosuwa.
04-24-2008, 03:48 PM
I was ignorant before in only caring about looks. Now, I regret it and learned from it. I think, "That person may look good, but is that person a good person??" I agree with everyone above about the personality thing. If that person is the "One just for You," then they'll love you for who you are, not for looks, or for what you can give them, but for being yourself. And attraction does not=love, it's just external. REAL love is internal and it's attraction in a different way. If that person cannot love you for being you, then she/he is not the one for you. :closedeye

poison.ivy
04-24-2008, 03:58 PM
It definitely depends on one's taste, tho there are some "general" terms that make a person handsome/good looking. As for me, it's the shape of the face, teeth, body and HAIR [hairy boys are *hawt*] But attraction sometimes has even more to do with one's personality than looks. If someone is a great person, you'll probably tolerate if he/she is not that beautiful. But if someone's a jerk and not pretty, you'll just cross him/her and move on. At least, that's my opinion and my way ^^

Overlord Darth Fluffles
04-24-2008, 05:13 PM
"Beauty is in the eye of the Beholder."

That's enough said. Basically you're letting your view of what "beauty" is and what you're attracted to rely on one thing.

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii160/Pentegarne/Mobs/Beholder-1.jpg <--- That

Lola Granola
04-24-2008, 05:32 PM
Initially beauty is about appearance. Yes, we're all a little shallow inside whether you admit it or not.

shadow slayer x
04-24-2008, 06:12 PM
Well...I'm not perfect...appearence does mean something to me...but not on a large scale.
Personality, is usually what I look for the most. My friends always tell me, "No matter how hot a girl will look, what you gotta remember man, is how they are inside. If they have a cute personality instead of those obssesive, flirty, picky, gossip, and talkative girl types...they ain't worth your time".

To tell the truth, that's exactly how he said it...heh...what a world we live in.

demonplight
04-24-2008, 11:28 PM
Pink = beauty

I like where you are going with this.
But my taste varies from girl to girl, to set one standard for all is well boring. I would have to say that it more comes to the total package, not to much crazy, not to much cleavage, some interesting taste, not to much hips....
for my slef I like it when things are in proportions, and well balanced. I try to avoid crazy, thus I am single.

ghost_in_the_shell
04-25-2008, 12:32 AM
I will tell you - beauty only takes one so far.
I dated a woman I thought was very beautiful. In fact, I still think she is gorgeous. However, her personality drove me away. I dated her for three years. I think it was the attraction that kept me around - but in the end, it wasn't enough to keep me around. I left her. She was too negative and had some very different views on important things. Her personality made me unhappy.

Personality goes a looong way folks.

if I can offer some great advice?

Don't spend your life looking for the perfect mate : Find someone with faults you can live with.

Beauty only lasts so long - then you are left with your personality and friendship you have developed.

demonplight
04-25-2008, 01:18 AM
EEh if I may offer:
It has come to my attention that when it comes to mates, it really is the best you can get at the moment, additionally people often try to upgrade during a relationship, if they see a better offer they often accept it on face value.

I day you only live once, so just enjoy it one day at a time, if you are happy with the individual today, be happy, if you are not look for someone else.

This also leads me to another interesting observation, as to why do girls keep going out with the same lame guy over and over. if he did it once he will do it again, and being comfortable with the guy is not an acceptable excuse.

MomijiTMO
04-25-2008, 02:10 AM

:yeahthat: I completely agree.

I hate it when people say things like, "I'm only attracted to a person's personality." Well if I had 3rd degree burns to my entire body but a kick butt character, chances are that you won't date me. There is a nice balance between physical attraction and emotional connection.

For me, an loving personality [aka clingy] is the best trait but that doesn't mean that physical characteristics mean naught. Now while I'm not going to tell you what physically attributes I like, I'm sure I've made my point.

TwylightStarr
04-25-2008, 02:24 AM
What one person finds to be beautiful another may shun.
I believe beauty can definitely be more than skin deep, but initial attraction is generally based on how two people view each other physically. Even this varies from person to person. True beauty though in my opinion has nothing to do with a person's looks...it has to do with a person's soul...and character.

███
04-25-2008, 03:11 AM
I like ugly and fat women that are so hairy that sometimes people mistake them for men.

That is how I classify pretty.

~*Red*~
04-25-2008, 04:16 AM
I like girls who are sporty, are able to be kind and caring, and are able to be trustworthy and also loyal.

Datenshi
04-25-2008, 04:34 AM
What is this? Real people? I thought it was pretty much established that true beauty can only be found in magical anime girls.

John Watson
04-25-2008, 08:09 AM
Oh come on you guys, we all want a BF/GF who is attractive...dont go and lie to yourselves by saying you like them for their personalities...I mean that counts too ALOT! But can you honestly say that if someone stands in a puddle of you and NOT get their feet wet? No this means were all just a little BIT shallow at times. It's just the truth. I look for a guy who is at least remotely cute and taller than me and who is really funny and sweet/sensitive. ^^

dream magician
04-25-2008, 08:17 AM

i agree with Princee Ai. and to be honest, most people love skin-deeply and not inside.

Shido
04-27-2008, 11:26 PM
Eh beauty is somewhat universal . Though One could say the media makes what the Norm beautiful is , biologically there are just some physical attributes that make one person prettier than someone else to the general population .

I think every person has his or her own views on what makes someone attractive but personality isn't part of that equation XD . That just determines whether you continue liking them or grow to like them . Like for instance a Football player who is deemed "hot" could be a real jerk . Now that would stop many girls form dating him . It wouldn't change his "hot status" XD .

AS for my views on beauty well it varies XD . I have preferences and standards just like anyone else . Luckily for my I guess my standards are pretty wide ranged because I think alot of different looking women are beautiful .

then you have people like my friend .... If you're Asian .... between the ages of 18 and 25 ..... Asian .... and have a large collection of school girl outfits then to him you are beautiful . If you aren't any of the above then well he won't give you a second glance :P

ThE_LoST_ShaDoW
04-27-2008, 11:44 PM
What makes a girl cute is more than just appearance, there personality is what really matters to me. If girls are only concerned with themselves thats a major turn-off, but girls that are caring and understanding are "cute" to me anyway :)

Wio
04-28-2008, 02:29 AM
When you get to know someone your view of them even changes. I mean they seem to become more or less beautiful than before. This is especially true for females/mothers.

When you get older, you're going to be uglier biologically, but people who know and love you won't look at you and thing "oh what an ugly person." It just doesn't happen.

gangman5
04-28-2008, 03:29 AM
for me its a blend of pysical and emotional
i want them to like me for who i am but also not be butt ugly

Rin!
04-28-2008, 04:08 AM
Smart, funny, not too show-offy you know that kind of thing.
But a hot guy is ok now and again (:

kaori_tenshi
04-28-2008, 05:33 AM
I've only gone out with one guy. He was a year older than me. He was hot, yeah...but he had ZERO personality. So that just didn't do it for me because there was no way to connect. I suppose I've learned that looks don't matter, and really lately I've been just looking for a guy I can connect to, because I'm finding most of the quote "good-looking" guys in my grade lack personality, there just really all the same.

Honestly I'd rather go out with a guy that is;

Smart, Funny, Likes what I like, and isn't the most attractive;

Not a guy that is

Boring, and only hot and nice to stare at.

eh, I am confusing myself about this already >.<

Amray
04-28-2008, 12:35 PM
Yeah, you could say that you basically need both looks and personality.

Something to stare at, and also someone that is interesting to talk to. We all have different tastes, so their is a person for everyone out there, you just need to find her/him. ^_^

╬Karami Mew~Meow
04-28-2008, 03:48 PM
I guess appearances do matter to most. Sure, I may think that sometimes. But for me, i get used to it (or how ever you explain it). But people got different tastes.