PDA

View Full Version : Entering adulthood... Should you move out?

aishiteru333
04-20-2008, 11:30 AM
When you turn 18 (or when you turned 18) will/would you move out? And if so, what do you think/ were your parents reactions?

I told my mom I wanted to move out when I turned 18. I told her I was grown up and she took it in a wrong way. "Blah, blah, blah, I was 27 and lived with grandma, blah, blah..."

Kobarokawa-San
04-20-2008, 11:33 AM
i am 19 and i live with my mother but i would like to live alone
i live with her because my parents are divorced and i live with her since august 2007 and now she doesnīt want to let me live alone because she want to stay with me till she move to india in 4 years

but i think parents should understand our will because itīs a very serious decision and it must be taken with a lot of responsibility
but if you wanna move out take it easy with your parents and start preparing them for when the time comes

Beast
04-20-2008, 11:36 AM
Growing up I always figured I'd leave when I turned 18. My eighteenth birthday was in February SURPRISE!.... I figure I'll save some money and grab an apartment when I'm 20

aishiteru333
04-20-2008, 11:38 AM
Growing up I always figured I'd leave when I turned 18. My eighteenth birthday was in February SURPRISE!.... I figure I'll save some money and grab an apartment when I'm 20

I had the same idea, but the way things are going I'm not even sure.:banghead:

Amray
04-20-2008, 11:39 AM
I'm just a College student living with his Mother. I told my Mum that I would like to stay with her for a much longer time to just be there if she needs someone. Her Boyfriends becoming a Police Officer soon so he will not be around as much. She said she really didn't mind whether I stayed or not. Ha yes, I am a Mummy's boy.

I wouldn't mind living on my own that much, me and my cousin said that we might just buy and share an appartment somewhere one day and get on with our lives and such. XD Since we have grown up togther since the beggining of our lives we thought that it would be awesome, Haha.

Oh well..Whatever Happens, Happens.

sa5m
04-20-2008, 11:51 AM
Please do not double post, Kobarokawa-San.

Of course you should move out. Why burden your parents even more after having them raise you ever since you were born? The least you could do was give them some peace.
But probably not exactly at age 18 though. I plan on moving out after college. Isn't that what most people do?

-Kitsune-
04-20-2008, 11:52 AM
When I turn 18, as much as I'd like to move out I probably won't be able to. My mom is 51 right now and has quite a few health problems so I'll probably need to stay around to make sure she's okay since our whole family is too busy and I'm her last kid =/ If someone else is around to take care of her I'll definitely leave as soon as I can.

sakura rukia
04-20-2008, 11:56 AM
Hmm..Yeah!!!Maybe
,I don't want to stay cooped up with my mother!!But,I never seen the whole outside world so I'm not sure

aishiteru333
04-20-2008, 12:05 PM
Please do not double post, Kobarokawa-San.

Of course you should move out. Why burden your parents even more after having them raise you ever since you were born? The least you could do was give them some peace.
But probably not exactly at age 18 though. I plan on moving out after college. Isn't that what most people do?

See, I already started college while going to High School. When I graduate, I'll be a sophomore in college. I think she over protected me and that's why she's too attached and I'm a loser! LOL!:p But I like your idea.

Eris
04-20-2008, 12:51 PM
I think I moved when I was like 20. Mainly because it was hard to find an affordable place to live. I started looking when I was 19 and started my higher education.

Dxon
04-20-2008, 12:54 PM
If I can leave the house. While having my own house and living my own life in the good way. So no hobo stuff. But just normal. Then I will leave the house.

Crippe
04-20-2008, 01:31 PM
There is a possibilty that I will move to USA and study there for a while. My mom lives in USA so I'll live with her ^^
Or I will stay in here in Sweden and find my own place to stay ^_^

Aulos
04-20-2008, 01:34 PM
I'm 19 now, and I still live with my parents.

I go to a local community college, and my parents need me around, I suppose, so I'm still around. After next year I'm probably moving out for university, though.

International 4-8818
04-20-2008, 01:38 PM
Well I am going to go to college in one year, and after college I am just going to start my life and get an apartment. No way I am going to go live with my parents.

Renegade of Life
04-20-2008, 01:45 PM
I'm 20, and still live with my parents.

I did have some time alone though, living in the college dorms. It just wasn't quite for me, though I will have to live alone soon enough I am not looking forward to it.

Masali
04-20-2008, 01:51 PM
Of course, I'll be in college =/

Meyrin
04-20-2008, 03:02 PM
I'm going to stay a while with my mom to make some money and after I'll go to university and live with my dad since he lives near the university.I'm not looking on going this year and I don't think I'll go next year either...Still don't know what I want to do...

Vasarian
04-20-2008, 07:04 PM
I'm 22 and still living with my parents... finishing university in 3 weeks so as soon as a got a job I'm probably moving out

~*Red*~
04-20-2008, 07:08 PM
Mum and dad are overprotective of me, so they won't let me move out any time soon.

MomijiTMO
04-20-2008, 07:10 PM
I'm 19 and I'm living at home still. Why? I'm a poor uni student and I don't have a job that can pay all of my living expenses and rent. I will move out when I have a stable job which will be after I finish uni and that's looking at after 2010 =[.

demonplight
04-20-2008, 08:27 PM
yeah, i live on my own, but them I'm 23 so its kinda expected, additionally girls don't like it when your 23 living with mom.

Dogmat
04-20-2008, 08:48 PM
Turned 18 a few months ago. I might plan to find an apartment sometime this fall. The college I'll be going to is only a 5-10 minute drive from my dad's house, which is where I'm currently living. So I'm under no pressure to leave.

Hideki Motosuwa.
04-20-2008, 11:10 PM
I'm 17 and my parents say it's time for me to be thinking about my future, and getting reayd to leave the house, and get a job. I plan to move out of the house when I'm about 20, because I'll be 18 when I graduate high school, and I'll be going to a community college after that. After 2 years of community college, I'll head out and hit the big leagues; University colleges. But with me, it's always a struggle, I have no idea how I'm gonna make it out on my own, my grades are already down the toilet and my wallet goes along for the ride(insult to injury!!). But yeah, I don't plan to move out until I'm around 20, but I'll have to support myself after I turn 18, because the welfare is cutting off the money to me, thus ending with me having to get a job. -_-;

Datenshi
04-20-2008, 11:29 PM
Unless you're going to go completely independent and pay for your tuition and food and shelter and everything once you move out (that's not usual where I come from, might be different in the States or whatever) I don't see the difference, really. I moved out to Tokyo for college when I was 18 but I know I'm basically still a child from a social point of view.

Not to mention, I really would have liked to continue living with my family if there had been better colleges locally available. I mean, you get three meals a day, you don't have to worry about the rent or paying for electricity, water and gas. *gets up to cook come cup noodles*

DaSOCOM
04-21-2008, 01:45 AM
I'm 22 and just took hold of the keys to my own place two weeks ago. But it is literally mine, I'm paying the mortgage! Before that I was renting out a place, and even before that I was living in the barracks since I joined the army, which was at 19. It's a great feeling, but a lot of responsibility (which I have kinda been shirking lately but it's not too bad. )

I guess my words of wisdom will be this: Education, Job, Place of your own.
That's the priority I should have chosen, but alas. That's the same priority I will hand to others free of charge. Nowadays, to get a decent job, you need at least a 4-year degree. Then once you have the degree, you can get the job. And once you have the job, you can pay for your place. I am going job, place, then education. It's working for me...but it could be easier.

Peace,
DaSOCOM

CyraXZero
04-21-2008, 02:43 AM
lived alone since i was 16 (i.e a year ago now) so....heh...

Fabala
04-21-2008, 03:05 AM
I lived under my mother's roof until shortly before I turned 22. It was more about convenience than anything else. I was able to commute back and forth to college, and get to my job in town. I didn't pay for rent, but I was treated like an adult in that I paid for school without help, covered my own expenses, and helped out in the household when asked or necessary. I moved out, naturally, when I moved to Australia to live with my husband.

There really isn't any "best" age to leave the home. It's going to be different for everyone. Had I followed my original plan and gone to school in Florida I would have left when I was 18, as my brother did. My little sister attended the same college I went to for a time, and now, at nearly 20, she'll be leaving sometime in the next few months to join the army.

I think it's important for people to learn to be independent, and not to rely on their parents for everything. Can a person do so even while living with their parents? Absolutely. But generally both sides have to learn not to cater to and depend on one another.

Atara Inferno
04-21-2008, 03:41 AM
My parents don't give me enough room to breathe and I can't stand the fact that I can't get privacy and all. How am I meant to concentrate on my revision for exams? Seriously.
I wouldn't miss them in a year's time when I move out with my best friend.

poison.ivy
04-21-2008, 03:50 AM
None of the answers in this poll suits me cuz about the time I'll be 18, my mum will move out! XD When I finish high school and go to college, she and her boyfriend [he'll probably be husband then] are gonna move to the seaside and grow snails ^^ So I'll be on my own in my beautiful apartment. And I'm very glad about it, cuz I've a lot of stuff and I don't feel like moving out ;]

kagome_windy
04-21-2008, 03:55 AM
I'm 15 right now,but I cannot imagine my life without my parents.....

Eris
04-21-2008, 04:55 AM
I think the appropriate time to move out is when you

Can support yourself.
Are mentally ready for it.
Have a reason to do it.

I know several people (my sister included) who moved out prematurely because of the romantic notion of living alone. Moving out for the sake of moving out alone is a bad thing. My sister has lived with boyfriends, or with second or third hand apartment leases since high school. This is a tremendous psychological stress factor. Not knowing if the owner of the apartment will kick you out, not knowing if you will be able to pay the bills, not really having a home to call your own. All this without really needing it. Most people who do this end up moving back home with their parents again, realizing they weren't ready for it.

There is no need to force the issue on becoming an adult. Things will come together on their own in their due time.

blueangel06661
04-21-2008, 05:11 AM
I plan on making my move as soon as I get out of collage, so I can go to a production school further down the state ^-^

But my mother is talking about following me down there saying "i'm not going to let my daughter move down there alone"

So yeah i'm like.. NUU!!! -__-

suzumisaya
04-21-2008, 09:35 AM
Well I'm 19. And I'd love to live in my own house or apartment, but I don't have enough money to get it and if I did I wouldn't be able 'cause here in argentina, you're an adult when u get 21, so before that u can't get properties and I know my parents wouldn't take a property for me even though I promised them I'll pay all the bills. :(:banghead:

PigFarts
04-21-2008, 10:29 AM
Well, I'm heading out to College come this September, and I'm still deciding on being local (30 min. from home) or further from home (2 1/2 hours); basically, which school shoud I go to? Which school would better prepare me for "adult life" and it's obvious that being further from home would suit me better in that department. But yes, at 18, I believe that everyone should, not necessarily "move out," but get away from home, begin your life to prepare you what's going to happen later in life. But maturity levels play a big part in this. A 20 year old whose maturity level is at that of a middle-school-prepubesent-boy would be better suited staying home, with some boundaries presented by mom and dad - like living in the house, but treating your parents like landlords; buy your own groceries, do your own laundry, pay for your own things.

Sagat
04-21-2008, 11:00 AM
I moved out when I was 19, and when I turn 26 this Nov, I may actually end up moving back with my parents for a while.

It is a good way to save money, a very good way. Me and my parents are somehow, probably being posted to CFB Edmonton - and it is insanely expensive out there. I asked if I could live with them to save money and pay off my large bills so I can save up either for a house or to return to uni. if I leave the military.

So, despite what some younger people think, moving out at an early age isn't always the best option. Even later on, moving back in for awhile is a good choice. They are happy about it too, as a Warrant and a Lieutenant even they are apprehensive about the mortgage on a house, so my living with them for a while helps ease it for them as well.

Put it this way, the money I would save per month from living with them is around .. 650 dollars, assuming I pay 200 month in rent. 650 is a lot when you are paying off loans.

Lola Granola
04-21-2008, 11:02 AM
I moved out of the house when I was 19. It was difficult to do, but I wanted it more than anything and growing up as an only child/daughter/Chinese-Vietnamese made me feel caged. It was hard because the location was extremely expensive, being Seattle and next to a university and all. But I made it with my tax return and savings. After living by myself the first year my parents offered to help pay rent because they wanted me to work less so I could concentrate on the more important thing, college. I have my principles and refused the offer, so I paid for my own living expensives the first year I was gone. The second year was different. The studio I am currently in was intended for two. Things didn't work out, so I ended up having to pay a rent that was $200 more than my rent last year because I had already signed the lease. This time my parents are helping me out when I can't fully cover the rent by myself. I was surprised at how supportive they were after I left. It is extremely convienant to live on my own in the location I'm in. I walk to work and school and have easy access to bus lines.

Khanxay
04-21-2008, 11:06 AM
I turned 18 a few days ago. Answer: Nope.

I'm planning to move out with some friends within a year from the end of this school year. That'll be after we all have decent paying jobs though.

███
04-21-2008, 01:15 PM
Your poll doesn't cover being over 18 and looking to move out in the far future.

I will tell you from experience, there really isn't a time when you have to decide to move out or not, it just happens. You will know when the time is right.

If you are trying to make a tough decision, or even worried about what your parents will think, that usually means you aren't ready.

Guerrera
04-22-2008, 01:51 PM
Americans seem to receive an excessive amount of pressure when it comes to moving out. And there are lots of wonderful and loving parents out there who wanna kick out their own kids the minute they turn 18.

Where I'm from, people like to economize. We cram 8 people in 2 bedrooms and that's how it stays. In my case, I was too p- uh, "monetarily challenged" to move out and I have to support my entire family with one job until something better comes along.

Perpetual Specter
04-22-2008, 03:00 PM
I may or may not move out at 18. I agree with Eris on this. You shouldn't be too pressured to move out, but just move out when you know you're ready. Personally, I'd like to be moved out by the time I'm 20 or something though. I'll stay a bit longer though if it's really needed.

Zainox
04-22-2008, 09:38 PM
I have it planned already. xD
Im moving out of my house beggining of next year. My mate turns 18 in January and soon after we are gonna move out into a rented home. We are gonna go halves with everything but that means we will be working most they day to have the money to support us both. We are both gonna help clean and both shop, just basicly make everything fair and share responsablilty. I really cant wait, it will be great, finally getting out of home and starting my own life. :D

We are thinking of inviting another mate and that will just make money so much easier.

serasvct
04-23-2008, 08:27 AM
I was extremely happy to move out of home as soon as possible, and never looked back.

I think that it's a personal choice, and depends a great deal on the environment in the home. If a person feels comfortable and welcome in their environment, why should they move out early?

Amray
04-23-2008, 09:07 AM
^^^^Yeah, what she said.^^^^

It really comes down to your life style and way of living, the kind of people you prefer to be around, and the people that you are currently living with.

aishiteru333
04-23-2008, 09:30 AM
lived alone since i was 16 (i.e a year ago now) so....heh...
Did you by any chance get emancipated? That must've been hard for you!

Daenerys
04-23-2008, 11:35 AM
I didnt for a few years, but when I did end up moving out, my mom needed me back home to help her with my crazy siblings. That and well, she's dying, and wants her children near.

Wio
04-23-2008, 02:46 PM
It really depends on what my future wife wants. Optimally I'd live near my parents (though not necessarily with them) because that'd be free daycare.

pyrothunder336
04-23-2008, 04:42 PM
I'd say moving out alone would be pretty rough to do when you hit 18. Bills could pile up and if something went wrong you would probably have to go back to your parents. If you were to move out with someone else maybe it would be a little bit easier. This isn't going to happen to everyone of course, but it seems to happen to most people I know. I for one plan on moving out with 2 other people to make life smooth for a bit ^^

Amarhyllis
04-24-2008, 11:04 AM
I moved out when I was 19. I got homesick, and always was whenever I went away from home for long periods of time. It was horrible, crying myself to sleep sometimes and when I went for visits it was hard knowing that I had to leave them again. I've gotten use to it now, but I still wish I could be with them always. I loved living at my Momma and Poppa's...sometimes I wish I could go back. I've already got a good job and met lots of so many new people to go back and forget anything ever happened. ^^
But I digress

Baka
04-24-2008, 02:00 PM
I think the parents should move out. LOL But seriously, it depends on the person. Some 18 year olds are not ready to live on their own.

Ein Einsamer Soldat
04-24-2008, 02:34 PM
As of right now I plan on staying at home for a year after my graduation, the main reason to decide if what I'm doing is what I really want. I plan on enlisting with either the US Army or the USMC(been chatting with recruiters for almost a year now). But either way I plan on moving out a year after graduating.

araym219
05-26-2008, 12:52 PM
this is a problem that we all have to face at some point.
well, when the time comes, i will move out of my parents' apartment, only to move 20 meters farther since we have an apartment which my parents bought for me to move in whenever i wish. but i don't really want to move out, i love my mum a lot and she always spoiled me as a kid and i couldn't live without her, at least not until i find the person who is willing to spend her life with me. but after college i'll probably be assigned to somewhere else than this town so that'll be goodbye to my parents, but i wanna enjoy these few years.

crystalanimefandubs
05-26-2008, 01:56 PM
Yup soon as i turn 18 im moving out to go to college over UK, itd be nice to get away from USA for a long time.

Ravenblade
05-27-2008, 06:27 AM
I left for uni when I was 18. And then my parents moved 500 miles away to a remote scottish island, so I think they kinda left me, rather than the other way around!

I now live with my g/f and I'm 22 so...yeah. Yeah everyone should move out asap I think - parents suck x.x =P

MistressPookyChan
05-27-2008, 06:49 AM
I moved into the dorms at 19 (turned 18 my last year of high school). I was SO ready to be out of my parents house, but not ready to fully live on my own. So, a dorm is a great transition.

Don't move out until you are ready. Things can be expensive and hard if you're not mature enough for it.