PDA

View Full Version : slow food

Baka
04-17-2008, 07:17 PM
Like snails. Snails are super slow and we also eat them. Weird. I think it's a french thing. The French have some weird recipes. Oh, and are French fries even French?

LOL

But seriously, we all eat fast food fairly often. It's quick. Really convienient when you don't have much time or you have some where to be. But what about when you want to go out to eat and you are not in a hurry and you are in the mood for an actual home style meal. What are your favorite sit down and actually stay a while resteraunts? I like Chilis and TGIFridays.

S.P.A.A.M

sa5m
04-17-2008, 07:29 PM
I love Red Lobster. Their biscuits are absolutely amazing. That's basically the only reason why I go there.
I also like Chili's.
And Papa Vino's pepperoni bread... Ahhh, that's some good stuff there.

Lola Granola
04-17-2008, 07:30 PM
For people who don't know what slow food is:

Slow Food is a non-profit, eco-gastronomic member-supported organization that was founded in 1989 to counteract fast food and fast life, the disappearance of local food traditions and people’s dwindling interest in the food they eat, where it comes from, how it tastes and how our food choices affect the rest of the world.

Their philosophy:

We believe that everyone has a fundamental right to pleasure and consequently the responsibility to protect the heritage of food, tradition and culture that make this pleasure possible. Our movement is founded upon this concept of eco-gastronomy – a recognition of the strong connections between plate and planet.

Slow Food is good, clean and fair food. We believe that the food we eat should taste good; that it should be produced in a clean way that does not harm the environment, animal welfare or our health; and that food producers should receive fair compensation for their work.

We consider ourselves co-producers, not consumers, because by being informed about how our food is produced and actively supporting those who produce it, we become a part of and a partner in the production process.

Not a bad idea at all.

blueangel06661
04-17-2008, 07:35 PM
Chilli's and Mori's

But I only get to go to either once in a blue moon >.<

Baka
04-17-2008, 07:38 PM
For people who don't know what slow food is:

Their philosophy:

Not a bad idea at all.
I didn't even know about this when I made up this thread. I was just at Taco Bell this morning,(I go there every morning) and I was thinking I would like to go to an actual sit down restaraunt.

Why didn't the stuff about that organization show up. Oh well. Go read it in Lola's post

Lola Granola
04-17-2008, 07:44 PM
You learn something new everyday :).

If you REALLY want a sit down meal, trying home cooking a dinner with all your ingredients locally grown/produced and not coming from places all around the world. That is hard!

Beast
04-17-2008, 08:03 PM
I'm a fan of Montana's and Boston Pizza. Those places are amazing, I wish there was a TGIFridays around here...

Moneytalk
04-17-2008, 08:28 PM
Boston Pizza ftw. :D

Perpetual Specter
04-18-2008, 12:01 AM
For me I gotta say Chilis or Applebees. Chilis seems to be kinda popular. o.o

███
04-18-2008, 08:11 AM
I don't eat out, it's far too fatty so I stay away from them.

None of the above
04-18-2008, 10:02 AM
Paella, Snitzel, Pizza, Soups, Salads - 75% of these I can do myself etc.

Hideki Motosuwa.
04-18-2008, 05:45 PM
The-sit-down-homestyle=non-fast-food-restaraunt that I love to eat at is, OCB(Old Country Buffet) and where I live, it's right across the street from Taco Bell. We know the manager, Mr.Flipsy quite well, so we go there to eat from time to time, like around 3-4 times a month. But the sad thing is, we rarely eat out, and we don't trust the Chinese restaraunts in the area. The last time I ate at a Chinese restaraunt, I got food poisoning. *.*

Amray
04-18-2008, 05:48 PM
Love Chilly, Curry, Spaghetti Bolognese, Chinese Food, anything like that.

Momokachan
04-18-2008, 06:47 PM
Like snails. Snails are super slow and we also eat them. Weird. I think it's a french thing. The French have some weird recipes. Oh, and are French fries even French?
The French actually have some amazing recipes.
Pain au chocolat is particularly tasty, especially with almonds. (Pain au chocolat is French bread baked with shaved chocolate on it.)

There are a lot of "fast-food" places here that I really like. There's a teriyaki grill place downtown that makes worthwhile food that's also healthy in about five minutes (grilled veggies, brown rice, that sort of thing, with minimal fat involved). When I'm late for band practice fast-food kind of becomes my best friend.

However, I do agree that fast-food chains are taking over when they really shouldn't be. But mom-and-pop quick meal places usually have good food, at reasonable prices and wait-times.

And no, French Fries are not, in fact, French. They're Belgian.

Sanosuke23
04-18-2008, 07:14 PM
If I'm feeling decadent, either Outback Steakhouse or a fairly local chain, BBQ's suit my needs. If it's a group of people, there's a place called Tony's on 2nd avenue between 83rd and 84th in Manhattan that offers delicious italian food. If I'm being diet-conscious, there's a few diners around where I can get a decent tuna on toast with light mayo.

International 4-8818
04-18-2008, 07:28 PM
I like to go to a nice Italian restaurant some times. There is this great Italian restaurant across the street. I rather prefer to eat, as you call it, "slow food" mainly because it is not a rushed meal, and a person took their time to make it.

Darklord
04-19-2008, 09:15 AM
UNFORTUNATELY:

My country has ONLY Slow food.
There is no such thing as fast food here.......
No MacDonald, Burger King, ETC......

Therefore, I eat at a restaurant nearly everyday.....

Renegade of Life
04-19-2008, 09:22 AM
I don't eat out often, though it is usually somewhere like Ponderosa or Wendys.

My kind of slow food is stuff that takes at least an hour to prepare and cook, like from-scratch pizza.

And it's absolutely hilarious sometimes when I mess up on a loaf of bread, and it comes out flat.

Eris
04-19-2008, 09:33 AM

French fries are originally from Belgium.