PDA

View Full Version : Apocalyptica

-Kitsune-
03-12-2008, 03:07 PM
Apocalyptica is a Finnish cello metal band, composed of classically trained cellists and, since 2005, a drummer. All three cellists are graduates of the Sibelius Academy in Helsinki, Finland. Their music features elements from cello metal, neo-classical metal, progressive metal[1] and symphonic metal.

Members:

Eicca Toppinen – Cello (1996–present)
Paavo Lötjönen – Cello (1996–present)
Perttu Kivilaakso – Cello (2000–present)
Mikko Sirén – Drums (2005–present)Here's thier Myspace music page (http://www.myspace.com/apocalyptica), if you want to take a listen to them
--------------------------------

So has anyone heard this band before? I think it's awesome how they can make the cello sound like bass guitars and normal electric guitars. Their most popular song right now is "I'm Not Jesus" which I absolutely love. Corey Taylor, from Slipknot is the vocalist for that song. Apocalyptica switches vocalists for most songs, they don't have a permanent vocalist yet.

So, to those of you that've heard them, what are your thoughts on this band?

Gandizzl
03-12-2008, 03:18 PM
They're alrite, it's nice with something different every now and then.
Their Metallica covers are godly, but other than those I'm not so into the stuff that is all instrumental.
IMO their original, instrumental stuff tend to get a little boring.
But they feature a lot of wonderful vocalists, and their covers are massive.

My favorite is their cover of "Helden" by David Bowie where one of my favorite vocalists, Till Lindemann of Rammstein, does the vocals.
That song is truly powerful, although not as much as the original, but still mighty.
Also "Bittersweet" where Ville Valo of HIM and that... dude from The Rasmus sing.
It's wonderful.
What I really admire about their music is that the cellos has the abillity to make it so emotional and bittersweet, in lack of a better word.

I gotta say I can't see what people find so good about "I'm Not Jesus".
It's the worst track of their new album.
Corey Taylor's vocals are so boring and monotone first of all, and the cellos are so hidden.

And their concerts are quite cool xD
The headbanging while playing... no word for how awsome that is.

Ryth
03-12-2008, 03:32 PM
They're... passable at best. Their first album was really lifeless, their others are decent, and the new stuff like "I'm Not Jesus" sounds like a bad Stone Sour song (so, you know, any Stone Sour song). Selling out, it seems...

I don't even like Metallica so the covers don't do much for me.

realms89
03-13-2008, 02:07 AM
amazing band ill actually be seeing them in December live

MomijiTMO
04-19-2008, 09:09 AM
I really liked this group when they were just dudes with cellos. They were unique and I stopped liking them when they started getting guest vocalists and adding guitars and drums and whatnot.

If it's not broken don't fix it. =__=

Axllow
04-19-2008, 01:07 PM
this band is awesome. I started listening to them a while ago, even with the guests vocalists their still good. just my opinion >.< also the metallica covers own >.>

Guerrera
04-25-2008, 09:00 PM
I really liked this group when they were just dudes with cellos. They were unique and I stopped liking them when they started getting guest vocalists and adding guitars and drums and whatnot.

If it's not broken don't fix it. =__=
I kinda like the songs with Lauri from the Rasmus in them ^^. Such as Bittersweet, as Gandizzl mentioned. Don't really care for the other guest vocals though.

I love this group. Too much.
I really like Somewhere around nothing and Resurrection, but the list on my mp3 player kinda goes on forever, so I can't name all the songs.
It goes without saying how awesome the Metallica covers are.

law~
06-09-2008, 02:38 PM
I kindda like them, but not that much
Bittersweet and Helden are my favs

Alive-And-Dreaming
06-11-2008, 11:34 PM
Meh. The idea of cello metal is cool, but Apocalyptica executes it poorly. Other bands, like (symbol) do it better. (Their name is a symbol, like The artist formerly known as prince used to be, so I can't really spell it.)

Beezer
06-12-2008, 05:38 PM
I remember hearing them years ago when they came out with a bunch of Metallica covers. I think the main reason they started adding guest vocals is that they're big metal fans and the chance to work with some of the guys they enjoy listening to is something I know I wouldn't pass up. The new single is pretty good but with the drums I agree it just sounds like Stone Sour (not a bad thing though).

pyrothunder336
06-12-2008, 09:14 PM
I thought they were amazing. Something different to bring to the table every once in a while compared to the average metal band. I listen to at least one of their songs a day. Usually my song of choice is "Path."

Blixium
07-03-2008, 02:47 PM
http://hk.youtube.com/watch?v=FsNkGiynht8

Looky what I saw last month.
They were amazing live.
Great festival too.

Masali
07-03-2008, 05:56 PM
Playing Metallica on cello doesn't make Metallica's music suck less. Other then that they're astounding musicians.