PDA

View Full Version : Recommand me some mature anime please?

foxhunt99
02-26-2008, 12:17 PM
Hi, can anyone recommand some mature animes please.

I like Ghost In the Shell, Patlabor, Akira that kind of anime.

And I really don't like Dragon Ball Z kind of anime.

Thanks

Ωmega
02-26-2008, 12:21 PM
...Moving to General Anime Section.

Sagat
02-26-2008, 12:23 PM
Neon Genesis Evangelion

but most of all .. Berserk. This anime didn't get no where near what it deserved. It's a classic. It's bloody rays outshine most of the crap on the market right now. Do yourself a favour and watch it..

foxhunt99
02-26-2008, 12:52 PM
I watched some Neon Genesis Evangelion the TV shows, didn't watch the movie. The TV show sucked, maybe it is the translation and the horrifying dubbing job, the dialogs are retarded. And each episode there is a monster appears out of no where and they go out to kill it, it is like power rangers.

Ghost in the Shell and Patlabor the movies, are way more meaningful imo.

Ichiro Matsuchani
02-26-2008, 12:57 PM
I watched some Neon Genesis Evangelion the TV shows, didn't watch the movie. The TV show sucked, maybe it is the translation and the horrifying dubbing job, the dialogs are retarded. And each episode there is a monster appears out of no where and they go out to kill it, it is like power rangers.

Ghost in the Shell and Patlabor the movies, are way more meaningful imo.If that's all you got out of Evangelion, then you weren't paying very good attention.

Elfen Lied, if you're into pointless amounts of gore.

daft
02-26-2008, 01:25 PM
Neon Genesis Evangelion

but most of all .. Berserk. This anime didn't get no where near what it deserved. It's a classic. It's bloody rays outshine most of the crap on the market right now. Do yourself a favour and watch it..
So true! Berserk is without a doubt a very underrated and high-water mark for anime in my opinion. It really deserves alot more credit. Thank you for mentioning this epic anime classic! You're awseome! >_<

Knightmare
02-26-2008, 02:08 PM
Ninja Scroll is a good movie, Berserk is awesome, Armitage the third is good as well.

Inactive Account 0061
02-26-2008, 03:52 PM
Death Note
Elfen Lief
Hellsing

ghost_in_the_shell
02-26-2008, 07:32 PM

Yeah, you gotta re-watch Eva.
Try subs - and the movies to replace the ending episodes while your at it.
Eva is pretty much as good as an anime gets.

demonplight
02-26-2008, 07:49 PM
A lot of the shorter Gundam series are good.
Samurai x trust&betrayal, reflection
Akira
Steam Boy
FLCL
Bubble Gum Crissis 2040
Excel Saga this is really pop culture but it is a fun watch.
Afro Samurai

Ωmega
02-26-2008, 07:53 PM
Perfect Blue. Fantastic movie, and is a bit more mature.

demonplight
02-26-2008, 08:06 PM
Cyber city Odeo 808
Queen Bee 13.
Record of Lodoss war is good, I'm not to sure as to how mature it is.
princess mononoke
vampire Hunter D and blood lust
Battle Angel
Gin Rou and the Wolf Brigade
Spawn but I am not sure if you can count that as anime but it is a great HBO animated series.
Gun Slinger Girl
Nasty Angel
Remember there are 3 Plotlabor movies and 63 episodes.
Also the 3 Ghost in the Shell Movies, and 2 seasons. the second Ghost in the Shell is a trip unto it's self.
What are you looking for, genera?

StabWound
02-26-2008, 08:20 PM
If you liked Ghost in the shell and Akira try some other Cyberpunk anime

Texhnolyze
Serial Experiments Lain
Ergo Proxy

Moonlight Eve
02-26-2008, 10:21 PM
Appleseed
Cowboy Bebop
Coyote Ragtime Show
Gantz
Monster
Samurai 7
Black Lagoon
Devil May Cry
Karas 1 and 2

d-thinkerdotcom
02-27-2008, 04:17 AM
Yep, watch Neon Genesis Evangelion AGAIN. There is nothing like this else on Anime.

Try Battle Angel

This is also mature: DOOMED MEGALOPOLIS - not for kids

Aizmov
02-27-2008, 04:25 AM
Zeta Gundam
there's a lot of deaths, very mature ;)

_CTA_
02-27-2008, 04:28 AM
I recommend Tenjou Tenge. It has lots of 'scenes', but the plot is descent.

agscala
02-27-2008, 11:43 AM

Agreed, the only thing going for Evangelion in my personal opinion is the OP which has been stuck in my head for the past 3 days. Evangelion seems to be a love/hate kind of show, I never meet anyone who is in the middle on this one. Go check out RahXephon instead. To me, it trumps Evangelion in nearly every psychological aspect in my eyes.

As for mature anime, check out Gantz. It takes a science fiction approach to exposing a psychological experiment. Elfen Lied is good as well.

I second the recommendation of Monster. I never watched the anime, but I read the entire manga and it was fantastic. From what I hear, the anime is a direct adaptation of the manga so you can't really go wrong with this one.

Also, check out the movie "Jin Roh," it's an amazing retelling of little red riding hood, but it ditches the cartoony aspect of the classic fairy tale for a story full of action, violence, and a fantastic plot.

Baka
02-27-2008, 01:52 PM
Monster
Claymore
Night Head Genesis

Hamashimura
02-27-2008, 02:14 PM
Hi, can anyone recommand some mature animes please.

Why,with pleasure ^^
Here's the list of my personal favorites,mature ones ofcourse,as you've asked (plots under spoiler,copied from animenewsnetwork):

~ Gilgamesh
After an accident at the Twin X research facility, the sky has been changed to be like a mirror, and all electronics no longer work. There are also children born after this event who have mystical powers to change the environment around them. The story centers on a brother and sister, Tatsuya and Koyoko, the children of a scientist at the Twin X facility.

~ Monster
Kenzou Tenma, a Japanese brain surgeon in Germany, had it all: incredible skill at his work, a rich and beautiful fiancee, and a promising career at his hospital. However, after becoming disenchanted by hospital politics, he chose to save the life of a young boy who got shot in the head over the life of the mayor. As a result he lost the support of the hospital director, as well as his position in the hospital and his fiance. A short time later, the hospital director and the doctors that replaced him were murdered, and once again he was catapulted back onto the top. But as the chief suspect of the murders, Tenma did not get a easy life. As a matter of fact, it seems that the boy he saved was much more than he had appeared to be... Now to clear his name and to correct his past mistake, Tenma must get to the bottom of these and other murders, and investigate the truth of the Monster who is behind all of this.

~ Wolf's Rain
In some distant future, it's common knowledge that all wolves have been extinct for 200 years. However, it seems this is false as wolves have not disappeared but rather have taken human form. Kiba, a lone wolf, wanders into a city, trying to sniff out the Lunar Flowers that are supposed to lead whoever follows the scent to paradise. The source of the smell is Cheza, a girl who sleeps in what appears to be suspended animation in a lab. She and the wolves are drawn to each other, and Kiba hopes to find paradise once he finds the source of the scent of Lunar Flowers. However, once Kiba finds Cheza, she is kidnapped by a mysterious person called Darcia, and his search begins anew. Before he leaves the city, he meets 3 other wolves, Tsume, Hige and Toboe. All four wolves have very different personalities and ideas, and their friendliness towards each other is a little rough around the edges. However, they soon band together to continue to search for paradise.

~ Neon Genesis Evangelion
- no plot sysnopsis,you've said you've seen it-

~ Night Head Genesis
'It is said that 70&#37; of human brain capacity is unused. If human posses incredible power, it is strongly believed to be lying dormant within this region. This unused 70% brain capacity is known as "Night Head".' The famous work 'NIGHT HEAD' is going to break the silence... They were abandoned by their parents because of the psychic power they possess. They are the Kirihara brothers, who lived in a labatory within a barrier-protected forest. They have escaped from the labatory, and a new wave of 'Revolution' is about to arise... A new "Night Head" is about to awaken.

~ Berserk
A mysterious warrior calling himself The Black Swordsman is out to get the King of a country called Midland. As he battles the king's henchmen, their cries of pain and the spilling blood take this relentless warrior's mind back in time to the path that led him to his current state.
Guts, a man who calls himself "The Black Swordsman" looks upon his days serving as a member of a group of mercenaries, the Band of the Hawk, nicknamed "the Grim Reaper of the Battlefield". Leaded by an ambitious, ruthless, and intellegent man named Griffith, together they battle their way into the royal court, and are forced into a fate that may change their entire lives.
On just any day, a pack of hooligans are harassing a young lady in distress when all of a sudden, they're under attack. The Black Swordsman has returned. He wields a giant sword as large as his grudge against the king. When alone in the woods, the Black Swordsman has a flash back to years past and his trials and tribulations in the Band of the Hawk, a successful band of mercenaries under the charismatic leadership of Griffith, a man driven by the ambition to become king.

~ Noir
Mireille Bouquet is a professional assassin, and a very good one at that. But when she follows up an e-mail from a young Japanese girl named Yumura Kirika, inviting her to take "a pilgrimage to the past", her life becomes even more dangerous than it already is. Now, with a haunting melody invoking the memory of an event long past, Mireille and Kirika decide to work together to find the truth about a thousand year old organization that has controlled both of their lives since before they were born. And the only clue in their search, the only thing Kirika remembers about herself, becomes their working codename: a name designating an ancient fate, of two maidens who reign over death--Noir.

~ Record of Lodoss War: Chronicles of Heroic Knight (perhaps?)
Five years after the death of the Emperor of Marmo in the War of Heroes, Parn is now the Free Knight of Lodoss, he and his old allies now famous through the land. However, the Emperor's right-hand-man, Ashram, seeks the scepter of domination to re-unify Lodoss under his former leader's banner. Meanwhile, beyond his attempts at conquest lies a more sinister force beginning to set the stage for the resurrection of the goddess of death and destruction...

~ RahXephon
In a world where time passes at a crawl and the blood of your neighbor runs blue, 17 year old high school student Ayato Kamina goes about his daily life within Tokyo Jupiter oblivious to the world around him, having been educated with the fact that the all civilization but Tokyo has been destroyed. But all that changes when the mysterious civilization "MU" invades his home, raining destruction down from the sky in the form of strange monsters called Dolems. The events that occur next will lead Ayato to the mysterious woman named Reika Mishima, to the truth of their existence, the discovery of what and who he is, and to the powerful angelic robot RahXephon.

~ Blue Gender (I think it deserves to be mentioned)
Yuji Kaido was diagnosed with a serious disease and cryogenically frozen. He wakes up more than 20 years later--and Earth is nothing like what he remembers. A race of alien bugs called the Blue have taken over the planet, and a few select humans have retreated to the space station Second Earth. Yuji is taken back to Second Earth, where he learns that he and the other sleepers will be instrumental in defeating the Blue. And his relationship with one member of the recovery squad only serves to complicate things.

~ Saikano
Shuji and Chise are two Hokkaido high school students barely starting a relationship with each other. Then, with no warning, a squadron of bombers from an unknown country destroy the city of Sapporo. All hope is lost when suddenly, the bombers are destroyed by a small red light floating across the sky. At this point, Shuji finds out that the one responsible for eliminating the enemy forces is Chise, who reveals herself as a cyborg engineered for mass-destruction.

Souji Seta
02-28-2008, 03:01 AM
Mature anime? Hmm, let's see
Elfen Lied
Ergo Proxy
Ghost Hunt (only a small number of scenes are childish)
Gungrave
Devil May Cry
Death Note

There ya hav it!
Well, if you still want some more mature anime recommendations or you don't know what these animes are then PM me anytime, I'm no expert but I'm always helpful.

Kincaid
02-29-2008, 10:02 PM
Thought I'd jump in on this. Keep in mind, I'm not much for most anime. I've got VERY narrow taste. I also disliked Eva, for what's its worth.

Elfen Lied and Perfect Blue are both great, even if Lied can be scratchy sometimes.