PDA

View Full Version : Old School all the way

ChibiInuyasha
02-25-2008, 03:29 PM
I do enjoy the new games but im an old school gamer i enjoy my old titles like Bubsy, Bubble Bobble, the origional mario, kirby, and donkey kong they just hold a certain charm that most of the newer ones dont have the only series i still enjoy is the zelda series and even twilight princess wasnt as good as ocarina of time not saying that it wasnt good but you know what i mean. Those were just my nintendo favorites with sega theres many forgotten games like Alex Kidd, Phyco Fox, The origional Golden Axe, Sonic, and many other great games. I mainly made this to see if there are any other loyal old school gamers that still play and respect the classics but still play the new generation.

Smurgen
02-25-2008, 03:37 PM
*raises hand* Indeed, it also feels nice to return to a game that gave you problems as a kid and completely own the game now as an adult ^_^
Theres still some old games that will forever turn me into a whimpering shell of my former self tho... Metal Slug on Hard... *shudder*

ChibiInuyasha
02-25-2008, 03:46 PM
lol yea that still haunts my dreams NES games were notorius for being aggrivating but fun which is why most of us are now bitter adults just look what happened to James Rolf aka Angry Video Game Nerd funny as heck but so aggrivated. the newer games just seem too easy to beat.

blueangel06661
02-25-2008, 03:58 PM
I feel very old school.. and i'm 15....... I'd rather play my gamecube, N64, or Super nintendo rather than my xbox 360..

I love sonic and mario i pwn at those games ^-^

Smurgen
02-25-2008, 04:01 PM
Man you youngins, making a guy feel old, GET OFF MAH LAWN!!
Seriously tho, i remember a time when you wanted a game, you didn't go to a game store or even a toy store, you went to a book store. You bought a book containing the code for the game, then you sat and typed out about three thousand lines or so praying to god you didn't make a typo in line 2672.

shinjuuzumaki13
02-25-2008, 04:06 PM
I thought there were no others like me!!! Old school games are the best. I cruise pawn shops for 64 and super nintendo games. A better way to spend my money other than buying a xbox 360. I played it at a friends once and the technology confused me so.

ChibiInuyasha
02-25-2008, 04:07 PM
those password screens were murder an really uncalled for the only games that saved back then were zelda and sonic 3 i had kirby save but then sneezed and bumped the system everything got erased lol passwords are ok as long as there not as long as a persons freakin biography lol

ChibiInuyasha
02-25-2008, 04:09 PM
I thought there were no others like me!!! Old school games are the best. I cruise pawn shops for 64 and super nintendo games. A better way to spend my money other than buying a xbox 360. I played it at a friends once and the technology confused me so.

tch around here i can only get old school games online eb games and gamestop dont carry old titles anymore not even playstation or N64 :(

Knightmare
02-25-2008, 04:16 PM
Old school game's are the best I use to get so frustrated playing the original megaman games. All the megaman games have had a steep learning curve but the original were the worst. I finally beat all of them though and I was so happy and felt a real sense of accomplishment.

Smurgen
02-25-2008, 04:19 PM
those password screens were murder an really uncalled for the only games that saved back then were zelda and sonic 3 i had kirby save but then sneezed and bumped the system everything got erased lol passwords are ok as long as there not as long as a persons freakin biography lol

Ok i think you misunderstood me. You had to type in the whole programming of the game itself into a BASIC operating system (Such as a Vic 20 or the more popular Commodore 64). It wasnt a password, it was retyping the whole game into your computer. Oh and by the way, it never did save till you went out and bought a disk drive that cost about as much as a small car. So every time you wanted to play, you'd have to type in the whole book into the computer again.

LOAD "*",8,1 FTW!

ChibiInuyasha
02-25-2008, 04:23 PM
MegaMan truely a game among games on the brightside the old games have been remade for newer systems as collections like megaman, megaman x and old sega games. they turned mega man into a neo pet sad but still i like the games. another thing classics offered were bad puns ya just gotta love them take mega man he was origionaly Rock man His girl friend Roll (Rock and Roll)
Proto man or Blues if he had a girl friend they would call her Rythem
(Rythem and Blues) i miss those days and the controlls were so simple back then to :(

Inactive Account 0061
02-25-2008, 04:23 PM
i love the really old games to gameboy xD so simple yet so fun

Storm Strife
02-25-2008, 04:26 PM
Ok i think you misunderstood me. You had to type in the whole programming of the game itself into a BASIC operating system (Such as a Vic 20 or the more popular Commodore 64). It wasnt a password, it was retyping the whole game into your computer. Oh and by the way, it never did save till you went out and bought a disk drive that cost about as much as a small car. So every time you wanted to play, you'd have to type in the whole book into the computer again.

LOAD "*",8,1 FTW!

Really? I thought the C64 allowed you to, ya know, record to cassette?

It's what I did with my coded cheats.

ChibiInuyasha
02-25-2008, 04:26 PM

LOAD "*",8,1 FTW!

omg i never got that i only started playing at 3 years old thats when i got my first NES and sega master system i wasnt able to get my hands on the atari or comador i wis i could though. but that really must suck if you typed it in wrong ouch

Smurgen
02-25-2008, 04:30 PM
Really? I thought the C64 allowed you to, ya know, record to cassette?

It's what I did with my coded cheats.

Yea it did, but as i said they were super expensive during its heyday.

Also Roll is Rock's SISTER, not girlfriend......

Sanosuke23
02-25-2008, 05:16 PM
Oh man, I remember getting a Commodore 64 and a stack of floppies from my cousin.

I sucked miserably, but I believe that was the start of my path to gaming in general.

Smurgen
02-25-2008, 05:24 PM
Know what i missed in oldschool gaming? Controllers worked on like every system. They all had that same plug that Computers, Atari, I think Master System, and Genesis all used. Sonic games were awesome using the Atari joystick, and you only needed one button for those games anyway!

Storm Strife
02-25-2008, 06:04 PM
Yea it did, but as i said they were super expensive during its heyday.

You raise a valid point.

Huh...I should try using the C64 next time I'm up my grandfather's...

Sanosuke23
02-25-2008, 09:11 PM
Know what i missed in oldschool gaming? Controllers worked on like every system. They all had that same plug that Computers, Atari, I think Master System, and Genesis all used.

Congratulations, you have singlehandedly brought the average "old school" console generation in this thread from the Nintendo 64 to about the NES, give or take a gen.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna go wonder when the 64 became old school.

ChibiInuyasha
02-25-2008, 10:15 PM
ya know come to think of it theres a way to make xbox 360 controlers work with your pc usb ports.

Inactive Account 0061
02-26-2008, 03:53 AM
the oldest consol i had were either a Sega or the really old Nintendo with games as big as bricks xD

http://www.emulationgalaxy.co.yu/images/systems/MD2_sega_megadrive2.jpg
http://www.playerschoicevideogames.com/misc_images/nintendo.jpg
sometimes i miss it xD

ChibiInuyasha
02-26-2008, 04:00 AM
i am just happy that the old school gamers are still around and loyal :)

Smurgen
02-26-2008, 05:37 AM
I'm so old school, they tore the school down

Wilson
02-26-2008, 07:23 AM
The first system I ever had was an Atari(can't remember the number), but something nobody has mentioned are the old shareware DOS games....Personally though I believe gaming achieved perfection in 95 when Chrono Trigger was released. I LOVE Snes RPG's!

Sanosuke23
02-26-2008, 03:57 PM
I'm so old school, they tore the school down

So old school, they had to build the school around you.

rf switch
02-26-2008, 04:26 PM
I don't really consider the N64 to be "old school". I like old school games. I still dust them off on occasion. A few months ago some friends and I were hanging out, drinking and we dusted off our friends old 2600 and spent some time playing Combat, Space Invaders, Asteroids, River Raid, Pitfall, Pac-Man, Q* Bert....

and uhh...smurgen. during those "days" when you "HAD" to go to a book store and buy a book of codes for the C64 they had stores that sold actual game cartridges and software.

Smurgen
02-26-2008, 04:55 PM
Yea i know they had carts and things, again later on in the releases. But some of the best indie games had releases either in a computer magazine or in a book as i mentioned

allaboutyou3678
02-26-2008, 04:58 PM
My wii is out of memory...I think that tells you my opinion on the old school games.

rf switch
02-26-2008, 05:37 PM
One game that should be brought up. Because it was one of the best games you got to play at school is Oregon Trail! I loved that game. I found the newer versions of it just seem to lack something though.

ChibiInuyasha
02-26-2008, 08:10 PM
i remember that Windows 95 game except i had Amazon Trail those games were fun in an educational kind of way.

rf switch
02-26-2008, 08:29 PM
Oregon Trail was best on the Apple II...because uhh. thats what my elementary school had...and middle school. Even my high school still had some in my freshman year.

Sanosuke23
02-26-2008, 08:48 PM
There was this one game, can't remember the name, for the Apple II that was basically, like, you built a monster and did stuff.

Oh, and my Middle School Math teacher had Marathon running on the school's network. When I saw the Halo map the memories came flooding back.

Good times...

rf switch
02-26-2008, 09:01 PM
at my high school the PC lab had Doom on the network. They were all like 386's or something I think. When more than like 6 or 7 people would play Doom the whole thing would crash.

Manhattan_Project_2000
02-26-2008, 09:24 PM
Now if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna go wonder when the 64 became old school.

To be fair, much of this board was 1-2 years old when the N64 was released.

I was born clutching a 2600 paddle. One of my games was ET, and I think it fair to say that it's legendary suckyness was not overexaggerated- I remember that it was even worse then my Kool-Aid Man game (which didn't actually run). I got a NES when I was 6. The rest, they say, is history.

Sanosuke23
02-26-2008, 09:40 PM
To be fair, much of this board was 1-2 years old when the N64 was released.

Well the PSX is I think it's safe to say part of that gen, and nobody's talking about that as classic gaming.

Or maybe they are, and I'm just getting blind and senile in my old age.

Which isn't that old, compared to some people here.

ChibiInuyasha
02-26-2008, 10:30 PM
to me old school is super Nintendo down before all the 3D stuff but N64 is getting close to becoming old school if it isnt already.

rf switch
02-26-2008, 11:15 PM
You know...I miss the days of going to the arcades with my friends. Sometimes cutting out early from school...I miss the days when Street Fighter 2 was the thing to go play. In 8th grade the neighborhood my Middle School was in had a bunch of corner stores that had Street Fighter 2 machines in them. Many even had a Neo-Geo MVS with atleast Fatal Fury in them. Which I used to often play while waiting in line to play SF2. And a couple of the real arcade even got SF2 CE. and later SSF2 on one of those 50 inch screens.

ChibiInuyasha
02-26-2008, 11:24 PM
Yes those were good times i still have my SNES hooked up now with street fighter 2 in it oh Chun Lee we made a good team you and I. come to think of it every fighting game i ever played the female characters were often better than the guys when i used em at least

Street fighter Chun lee , alternate Sakura
Killer Instict Orchid
soul caliber Ivy
Smash brothers Zelda/Shiek

weird but back on topic i stll go to arcades in malls and play the classic racing games marvel vs capcom and what ever else i find fun :D