PDA

View Full Version : If you had to discriminate

Eris
02-20-2008, 12:59 PM
If you had to discriminate against one of these groups of people, which would it be?

Imagine you're on the titanic, and it's sinking, and there's enough lifeboats for everyone -except- one of the above, and you are elected to choose who gets to stay and who gets to die in the freezing water with no hope for rescue. Naturally, you can't mix, people don't want to be separated from their families. Who would you leave behind?

Oh, and a motivation is required.

--edit--

I see I've been ambiguous, by a minority I mean an ethnic minority.

demonplight
02-20-2008, 01:08 PM
that was a no brainier, drug addict

Sagat
02-20-2008, 01:15 PM
In order:

1. Religious
2. Drug addicts
3. Any minority (excluding asian women, the guys can perish for all I care)
4. Homosexuals

Middy
02-20-2008, 01:27 PM
Question: Is there anyone on this "Titanic" that likes Rap music. They might have to be left behind.

(Just Kidding of course)

I'd say Drug Addicts.

Myrra
02-20-2008, 01:30 PM
I think it's time to to return the discrimination and I voted for the Religious as the first to be left behind.
drug addicts can be saved, but the religious tend to damn themselves.

Antares
02-20-2008, 01:34 PM
I voted for the religious because, in the middle of all the chaos, maybe a good religious person might sacrifice him/herself to save others... maybe. Yes, that's wishful thinking.

My second option are the ill. How bad are they? Are they going to die soon or do they have the chance to get better?

Eris
02-20-2008, 01:35 PM
Just thought I'd remind you that these drug addicts have family that will be affected by your sentencing them to agonizing death. Furthermore, there is no information on whether they are undergoing rehabilitation or not.

ComposerOfRequiems
02-20-2008, 01:50 PM
The jews on the boat.

Come on, do I really have to give a reason?

dublover kikyo
02-20-2008, 01:56 PM
If Fred Phelps was on the boat, he can stay on for all I care.

Eris
02-20-2008, 02:04 PM
If Fred Phelps was on the boat, he can stay on for all I care.

But what would the world be without hate-mongering religious bigots?

Sanosuke23
02-20-2008, 02:18 PM
There's no time to discriminate, hate every other hater that's in your way.

I'd condemn them all to death if they don't get out of my way.

But if I HAD to choose, I'd say IN THIS SITUATION, it's only practical to leave the ill, the disabled, the elderly, and the drug addicts in that order, since we don't know how long it will take for help to arrive and they're the most expendable/highest risk.

prototypetetra
02-20-2008, 02:26 PM
the thin people... if we are to be stuck in the ocean for unknown lengths of time well... we do need eeettttooo... nourishment.. right...??? but with just those options i guess either the elderly or the sick then? i mean its a matter of life and death for me so...

-A

Daenerys
02-20-2008, 02:26 PM
Why aren't Narutards an option?

Eris
02-20-2008, 02:28 PM
Why aren't Narutards an option?

Because then everyone would vote for them. For the same reason, I had to leave out Emos. Who the hell in their right mind wouldn't vote for those options?

~*Red*~
02-20-2008, 02:34 PM
Two words; drug addicts.

Wio
02-20-2008, 02:53 PM
But what would the world be without hate-mongering religious bigots?
Hate-mongering agnostic bigots.

I think drug addicts are the obvious choice. Any other choice is just for the shawks.

Aki_Saku
02-20-2008, 03:10 PM
this is such a cold-hearted question. i would leave myself behind. I wouldn't discriminate anyone. but i doubt there are many people here who would be willing to die... I have my reasons, though. don't doubt them.

Eris
02-20-2008, 03:11 PM
this is such a cold-hearted question. i would leave myself behind. I wouldn't discriminate anyone. but i doubt there are many people here who would be willing to die... I have my reasons, though. don't doubt them.

You can't leave just one person. They are life boats, remember. Imagine there are 12 of each minority on the sinking ships. You staying will only save 1 person, there's still 11 people who would die along with you.

Gizoku
02-20-2008, 03:13 PM
D< The elderly. Most of them are senile and mean...
D: Bad experiences with old people.

Et cetera
02-20-2008, 03:19 PM
My second option are the ill. How bad are they? Are they going to die soon or do they have the chance to get better?
I was just thinking of the same thing. xD

If I had to discriminate against one group, it would be the drug addicts.
They're the least of my worries. I mean they're using drugs to risk some side effects already. So, why not challenge their lives with the freezing/salty water?

clowangel
02-20-2008, 03:27 PM
Drug addicts, elderly, the ill, religious, orphans, and homeless... in no particular order.

Edit: Oh dang. You said a motivation is required. Okay, well I'll try and give some. Can't guarantee they'll be good ones though.

Drug Addicts: Sure, they can be saved but I find it a waste of time to do so.

Elderly: Well, they're practically at the end of the line anyway.

The Ill: When it's a life or death situation, the strong survive, the weak perish. Even if they get thrown on a raft, it's not likely they'll survive.

Orphans & Homeless: Because they're the unwanted. They likely have no family that care for or love them anyway. No one will miss them if they don't survive.

The Religious: ...Do I really need to explain my reasoning for this one?

Twig Ee
02-20-2008, 03:32 PM
Well i chose disabled people because this one kid in my class is disabled and he is such a jerk. He thinks he can get away with murder and is always disrupting class.(HIs disability has nothing to do with his brain) He always tries to leave school by being a Hypochondriac.

I dont like atheists that act like they'll disintegrate if someone accidentally sayz merry christmas to them.

Eris
02-20-2008, 03:34 PM
Well i chose disabled people because this one kid in my class is disabled and he is such a jerk. He thinks he can get away with murder and is always disrupting class.(HIs disability has nothing to do with his brain) He always tries to leave school by being a Hypochondriac.

So you're leaving twelve people to die because one person with a similar condition is a jerk?

Lune Cy
02-20-2008, 04:04 PM
A minority....the minority consisting of me...since i annoy myself..so i discriminate myself also

and when bored..ill just discriminate nobody...atleast i try not to..<_<

Raidou Kuzunoha
02-20-2008, 05:27 PM
Well, it depends on how disabled, ill, and elderly the people are. If they are going to slow down the rest of the people, then I would go with them.

If none of them are severe enough to slow the others, then I would go with the drug addicts.

For some reason, this reminds me of the Doctor Who episode of Voyage of the Damned. Then again, almost anything reminds me of Doctor Who since I am a big dork like that.

Kiishim Silhou
02-20-2008, 05:43 PM
Definitely drug addicts. I would've gone with religious people because they really bother me (especially this religious lady that's trying to make me get baptized >->) but I mean, It's not their fault if they had religion pushed up their butt ever since they were kids. Homosexuals... nah. The ill? Sympathy... Elderly? tough one, but SOME are nice people. Orphans? jeez, poor them ._.;

Aizmov
02-20-2008, 05:58 PM
I would discriminate against all of them equally :)

Flah Blah
02-20-2008, 06:07 PM
The ill (depending on how ill they are), don't need everyone else on the boat to get sick and end up dead before we're even three miles away from the sinking ship. Oh, second is the religious people (Xenu/Buddha/Bob/God/Zeus/any other deity will save them anyway).

Evangelinia
02-20-2008, 06:19 PM
The homeless. They don't have a home and apparently no family that cares for them so, leave them to live with the fishies.

Hideki Motosuwa.
02-20-2008, 07:21 PM
I'm sorry, but I wouldn't have the gull to discriminate against anyone...okay! maybe the drug addict, they're poisoning the Earth and everyone!

KuroTan
02-20-2008, 07:29 PM
I'm probably gonna get slammed for this, but how did the unemployed manage to get tickets for the luxury ship titanic?

I'd leave the elderly because they've all managed to, more or less, live out their lives. They should give the others a chance.

ComposerOfRequiems
02-20-2008, 07:31 PM
I'm probably gonna get slammed for this, but how did the unemployed manage to get tickets for the luxury ship titanic?
They were obviously the cheaply hired workforce. They were only unemployed before boarding the boat. That, or they snuck on a la illegal immigrants. Whichever fits best in your mind.

KuroTan
02-20-2008, 07:41 PM
They were obviously the cheaply hired workforce. They were only unemployed before boarding the boat. That, or they snuck on a la illegal immigrants. Whichever fits best in your mind.

How would I know that though? Otherwise I wouldn't be able to discriminate then.

Manhattan_Project_2000
02-20-2008, 09:40 PM
I choose Astronauts. I mean, who doesn't hate Astronauts? Smug, condescending bastards who think they are OH SO SMART because they can fly a space plane. If you hate Earth so much, why don't you just leave?

And for Pesci's sake, try eating solid food for once. And stop with the tang.

ComposerOfRequiems
02-21-2008, 03:37 AM
How would I know that though? Otherwise I wouldn't be able to discriminate then.
Can't you blindly discriminate against a group of people like the rest of us?

Exquiro
02-21-2008, 04:03 AM
I went for the religious, 'cuz then I get to say "where are your Gods now?"

On a more serious note, I wouldn't mind going for the homosexuals if they have no desire to reproduce, disabled people if they're going to be a bother or slow us down in some way, the same goes for the elderly really, like baka_black said, they've had a good long while to live... the ill if they're gonna die sometime soon anyway, drug addicts because they're killing themselves already, why not a little faster? And... the unemployed and homeless if it's their own damn fault they're in that situation or they're not doing anything to try and help themselves get out of it.

We can keep the minorities, the native population and the orphans. It would be nice to keep a few of the homosexuals too, in case they wanted to adopt the orphans.

lol @ MP2K + ComposerOfRequiems

Aizmov
02-21-2008, 04:25 AM
I'm sorry, but I wouldn't have the gull to discriminate against anyone...okay! maybe the drug addict, they're poisoning the Earth and everyone!

Poisoning the Earth? but drugs came out of the Earth :)

zyronet
02-21-2008, 05:18 AM
I'll let them live, sacrificing my own place. I'd rather die than live my life thinking why did I let a person die. But I guess, sometime rather.. I will change my mind or something.

Eris
02-21-2008, 05:22 AM
I'll let them live, sacrificing my own place. I'd rather die than live my life thinking why did I let a person die. But I guess, sometime rather.. I will change my mind or something.

Self sacrifice is not an option, as I stated before: "You can't leave just one person. They are life boats, remember. Imagine there are 12 of each minority on the sinking ships. You staying will only save 1 person, there's still 11 people who would die along with you."

zyronet
02-21-2008, 05:25 AM
Then I'll choose the drug addicts. >_>

███
02-21-2008, 06:12 AM
Minority, I would presume that would include Aboriginals and Tories. Not that they could afford to be on the titanic in the first place.

Daenerys
02-21-2008, 06:15 AM
Disabled People. It's not really that I want to single them out, it's just too easy :(

DOOM!
02-21-2008, 02:11 PM
Note to all who voted: The Forum Staff will be checking your votes and will recall it to accuse you when they'll be flaming you.

I will now mention all groups whom are disposable and the reason why I believe so.
In Poll order:

1.Homosexuals - They and their cause will be of no use to us.
2.Disabled people - They do not (or no longer) posses the full human force we need, and caring for them will only slow us down.
3.The ill - Caring for them will only slow us down, and we risk possible contamination.
4.The religious - Their inflexibility or ideals will do us no good.
5.The homeless - Because we all want to clean the streats once and for all.
6.Drug addicts - A higher chance i'd take them along, but if any of them result difficult, i'll slit their throat before throwing them overboard.
Having said the above, i respected the threads requests and do not care what you think. Flaming me will only bring this thread closer to it's eventual end, and a mouthfull of reproaches from me.
Edit: don't forget to leave your name when you rep. Hello Dorian.

Aizmov
02-21-2008, 02:17 PM
Note to all who voted: The Forum Staff will be checking your votes and will recall it to accuse you when they'll be flaming you.

That's why I didn't vote ;)

Ball Tripper
02-21-2008, 02:18 PM
I would discriminate against slow people. First come, first serve for seats on the life rafts.

demonplight
02-21-2008, 02:19 PM
Disabled People. It's not really that I want to single them out, it's just too easy :(
Thats....... wow, I mean wow.

Aizmov
02-21-2008, 02:20 PM
I would discriminate against slow people. First come, first serve for seats on the life rafts.

I hate slow people in the fast lane :mad: GET OVER ON THE RIGHT! :mad::mad:

Eris
02-21-2008, 02:26 PM

It is much more devious than that. This entire thread is an unethical social experiment of mine, intended to drive people towards bigoted and hateful opinions against their will. For the background theory, see my thread 'Idea I have (that applies to mind manipulation, brainwashing)' in pay to post.

Myrra
02-21-2008, 02:58 PM
I fully admit to being anit-PC.
and I must say the poor drug addicts are getting the shaft on this poll!

Eris
02-21-2008, 03:04 PM
and I must say the poor drug addicts are getting the shaft on this poll!

Which indeed is pretty strange. The ill will die of exposure, there is no doubt in that. It's fairly likely the elderly will die as well, at least the bulk of them. But the drug addicts are probably too pumped up on amphetamine to require any sort of food, so it's probably smart to keep them around. More emergency rations to go around.

allaboutyou3678
02-21-2008, 03:09 PM
I know this is probably trying to be serious, but you should have put you mom XD as one of the choices.

DOOM!
02-21-2008, 04:29 PM
It is much more devious than that. This entire thread is an unethical social experiment of mine, intended to drive people towards bigoted and hateful opinions against their will. For the background theory, see my thread 'Idea I have (that applies to mind manipulation, brainwashing)' in pay to post.
You've had quite a point. Of course, that would only apply almost unmitigatedly to those who are affraid or weak in their conviction, or to those who don't want to offend because they're nice.
I believe this phenomenon has actualy already been used (or still being used) by some of the parties in question to manipulate us into non-hating them permanently.
I hereby increase my quantity of hate towards those groups for the sake of doing things my way. Thank you, General Zod.
Edit: I would've loved to see, however, how you'd put these people in difficulty by making them have to choose only between Hate for Homosexuality and Hate for Ethnical Diversity. THAT would be a real study.

iRevo
02-21-2008, 05:05 PM
lets see:
1.Homosexuals and drug addcits (I dont care what u say about gay people its just not right! and for drug addicts FIND SOMETHING ELSE TO GET ADDICTED WITH.. and give me that cigar you'll kill yourself!)

2. The religious, I will not say the reason because it WILL offfend for those who are dedicated.

3.ummmm Emos, lets face it theyre hopeless(not in the poll)

4.Sasuke Fangirls/boys. its soo obvious!

Kariya The Wind
02-21-2008, 05:19 PM
Drug addicts, they have no future anyway.

DOOM!
02-21-2008, 05:35 PM
quote removed by Maru for profanity
Killing an Emo is the new american dream. And that's why i love America!

sataned
02-21-2008, 06:33 PM
OMG! you dont have the mods on that LIST!
theyre all haters.!. 5$ says i get an infraction just for saying that..
HATERS!!!!!

NinnaMoon
02-21-2008, 07:46 PM
I would definantly discriminate on drug addicts cause you can help being a drug addict. You can't help being disabled or a minority or an orphan, no, drug addicts I would definantly discriminate on them, definantly.

CrimsonMoon
02-21-2008, 08:33 PM
Elderly, ill or disabled. But if the elderly people are around 50-ish year old, the ill people are only infected with cold and the disabled people only lost a foot or hand, then they're still valuable. I'd definitely discriminate drug addicts though. If they don't want to help themselves, I don't see any reason why they should be rescued.

Manhattan_Project_2000
02-21-2008, 09:41 PM
Thinking on this more- Eris, I am ashamed. Yuppies wasn't even a choice.

Also, I take a low level Astronaut with a bad wisdom score, and cast Polymorph any Object on him. Then pile the other astronauts on his back and order him to swim them towards land, else he will stay in Whale form forever (Since Human->Whale is either a 9 or an 11, depending on how you read the chart, and therefore permanent). Also, I have a Dominate Monster ready in case he gets uppity.

Hypergraphian
02-21-2008, 11:01 PM
It really depends on what the ill is defined as. If they're terminally ill, which means they will die anyway, then I suppose I'd pick them. Everyone else on that list seems to have a second chance at living.

DaSOCOM
02-22-2008, 12:04 AM
1.) The Religious - No need for us to accept an imaginary deity's salvation

2.) The Ill - no need to get infected

3.) The Disabled - Why Waste the time?

4.) The Elderly - I'm too young to die!!!

Peace,
DaSOCOM

~Mithrosent~
02-22-2008, 12:37 PM
Drug Addicts. There addicted to something and ruining there lives.

Ramona Flowers
02-22-2008, 12:43 PM
I meant to vote for ill. I mean, they're probably not going to survive the cold night air anyway.

iRevo
02-22-2008, 04:13 PM
Emos were not in the poll because that is way too easy. Everyone wants to kill an Emo. Killing Emos would really just be doing them a favor.3

I know they were not in the poll. That's why I put in parentheses.

This is just in. The AEHG(Anti-Emo hunting Group) has commisioned an all around-emo hunt. So grab your hunting gear its time for Emo Hunting!

Throwing knives, sharp objects, or shurikens are prohibited during the hunt and use of grunge or metal is prohibited. Emo music will suffice.

demonplight
02-22-2008, 04:21 PM
I love that.

Fuu Kasumi
02-23-2008, 03:08 PM
1. The elderly - They're just so OLD. Most of them would die pretty soon anyway.
2. The ill - Especially if others could get contaminated.
3. How did the homeless even afford to get on?
4. Orphans - Obviously they don't have much of a family.

Capernicus
02-23-2008, 03:33 PM
Orphans be damned!

prototypetetra
02-23-2008, 09:21 PM
The initial question has holes but I will answer nonetheless. My choice will be not to choose, I do not have the right to judge people simply because of a similarity in one trait or condition. Just because a person is old means that he or she is less deserving than a healthy teenager, just because a person takes drugs means that he or she is less evil than a healthy man wearing a suit and tie but kills people on his spare time for fun.

It is interesting that a lot of people made their decisions too easily. Honestly, I do not expect much difference if this was happening in real life; It seems that this is common nowadays, how sad. It is happening already all over us, just not in life and death situations mostly.

Sanosuke23
02-24-2008, 01:36 AM
The initial question has holes but I will answer nonetheless. My choice will be not to choose, I do not have the right to judge people simply because of a similarity in one trait or condition. Just because a person is old means that he or she is less deserving than a healthy teenager, just because a person takes drugs means that he or she is less evil than a healthy man wearing a suit and tie but kills people on his spare time for fun.

It is interesting that a lot of people made their decisions too easily. Honestly, I do not expect much difference if this was happening in real life; It seems that this is common nowadays, how sad. It is happening already all over us, just not in life and death situations mostly.

To be fair, some of us chose on practicality. After all, if people are seriously injured, sick, or otherwise infirm and survival is of the utmost importance, I'm sorry but I'm kicking you overboard myself if I have to.

Famahama
02-24-2008, 01:49 AM
1. Drug addicts. They may spread AIDS. not 100&#37; chance. 20% maybe? Prevention than cure.
1. The Homeless. They don't need to endure life anymore!

prototypetetra
02-24-2008, 02:20 AM
You are correct Sanosuke, "some" of you did make decisions based on practical reasons, but that is just it, "some" of you and that is why I did not say all of you.

If you believe that it is best to leave me behind, then I will not hate you for leaving me to die. But of course, you should expect me to do what I can for my own survival, which includes throwing you over board myself so that I can take your spot if I have to.

Sanosuke23
02-24-2008, 05:57 PM
You are correct Sanosuke, "some" of you did make decisions based on practical reasons, but that is just it, "some" of you and that is why I did not say all of you.

If you believe that it is best to leave me behind, then I will not hate you for leaving me to die. But of course, you should expect me to do what I can for my own survival, which includes throwing you over board myself so that I can take your spot if I have to.

Hell, if you're strong enough to do so, then by all means.

Survival of the fittest, yo.

Maledictis Voca
02-29-2008, 05:26 PM
The world doesn't need any more drug addicts. Especially since if I were to be on a lifeboat with one, I wouldn't want them to be smoking around me and making my athsma worse and end up dieing of suffication rather than drowning.

Trisseh
02-29-2008, 05:41 PM
Drug addicts. No better cure than death ;D
Then homosexual if they've hit on me/seem as if they may hit on me. If not, homeless I guess Oo

Beast
02-29-2008, 05:44 PM
HOMOSEXUALS!!!

Of course I am kidding. Seriously though, the religious people >.> <.<

Ridana
03-01-2008, 03:12 PM
Not that I would want or enjoy being put into the position to make that decision, but I would have to leave myself off the lifeboats first. Not that I by myself am a "group" or would really be doing much good by doing so, but I could not, in effect, choose to kill a group of people like that without joining them.

That being said, I would choose the religious, focusing on certain religions first. Not because they were religious, but because if they did not OFFER to stay themselves (and if they should have based on what they claim to be their beliefs) then they are hypocrites.

I hate hypocrisy more than any religion.

DarkMoonPrincess
03-01-2008, 03:23 PM
Drug addicts.
They aren't my cup of tea though..
I have had friends who are drug addicts so maybe that wasn't the right choice.
It's very hard to choose because someway or another I can relate to them all in some way..

Eris
03-01-2008, 03:26 PM
That being said, I would choose the religious, focusing on certain religions first. Not because they were religious, but because if they did not OFFER to stay themselves (and if they should have based on what they claim to be their beliefs) then they are hypocrites.

I hate hypocrisy more than any religion.

But that depends on what religion they follow, does it not? Not all religions have self-sacrifice as a tenet.

Zelly
03-15-2008, 03:10 PM
I'm disgusted that five people voted for homosexuals.

Leorina
03-15-2008, 03:39 PM
I'm disgusted that five people voted for homosexuals.
To some users on here, being homosexual is to have an infection. We can't have an infection in the life boats.

Anwyay.

1) Orphans. If their orphanage leader is anything like Mr. Bumble, I'm doing them a favor.
2) Drug addicts. I'm not letting the lifeboats tip over just because some people on board decided it was the perfect time to get high, stand up, and dance.
3) Homeless. They have no home to go to, so let's make them one at the bottom of the ocean.
4) Fourth is a tie between the religious and the ill; I couldn't decide since they can be pretty similiar at times.

Inactive Account 0061
03-15-2008, 03:42 PM
drug addicts