PDA

View Full Version : Is TMNT an anime?

TMNT Leonardo
02-15-2008, 06:45 PM
It's in japan now. It's animated. Does this make it anime?

Mikotosa
02-15-2008, 07:03 PM
Is it a version made by the Japanese peoples? If so, than I suppose it would be an anime....

TMNT Leonardo
02-15-2008, 10:02 PM
I guess not then. It's just a jap. dub of the english TMNT. Ah! I'm still gonna call it anime.

allaboutyou3678
02-15-2008, 11:40 PM
technically all anime means is animation.

TMNT Leonardo
02-16-2008, 10:28 AM
I thought so. So I guess it is an anime...ugh I'm confused.

Inactive Account 0061
02-16-2008, 10:46 AM
i don't think it is an Anime.

isn't it just a normal cartoon?

wolfgirl90
02-16-2008, 03:30 PM
If its the American version of the cartoon dubbed in Japanese, it is not anime. It's simply an American cartoon in Japanese.

Fuu Kasumi
02-16-2008, 04:04 PM
Anime = animation.
Cartoons = animation.
Anime = cartoon.
Therefore, cartoon = anime.

But:
"the term is used in Japan to refer to animation in general, in English usage the term most popularly refers to material originating from Japan, a subset of animation" [wikipedia]

Which would cause some people to call it JUST a cartoon, not anime.

EDIT: So, it's anime, people just don't see as such.

TMNT Leonardo
02-16-2008, 06:03 PM
*is even more confused* So....what is it?

Hideki Motosuwa.
02-16-2008, 06:18 PM
I think it's an anime. It does appear on channel 7 on Saturday mornings, but I can't exactly say much, because I never watch it and I don't know much about it.

Professor Chang
02-16-2008, 09:06 PM
I thought that's an american cartoon, made by americans, with japanese items, so i can't get it as a japanese cartoon called anime.:banghead:

larivermm
02-17-2008, 12:36 AM
Do we have to re-point out the definition of anime?

Anime-literal: Japanese for Animation

Anime-Society: Animated stuff made and from Japan.

Goodylucky
02-17-2008, 12:59 PM
if the Japanese made TMNT, then it's anime
if other people (besides Japanese) made them, then it's not anime

that's what I think anyways...

Hideki Motosuwa.
02-17-2008, 08:53 PM
if the Japanese made TMNT, then it's anime
if other people (besides Japanese) made them, then it's not anime

that's what I think anyways...
That is true. Americans made some things that center around some Japanese stuff, but it can't be considered anime unless it's made by the Japanese. But I still enjoy American titles like the Lionking.

teddytechno.
02-17-2008, 08:55 PM
technically it is anime cuz anime is short for animation. but its not "japanaime" which is what anime is referred to now days.

wolfgirl90
02-17-2008, 10:37 PM
While it is true that the Japanese use the word "anime" to refer to anything animated, that is not what we non-Japanese use the word for. We use the word to refer to animated shows from Japan. This is the only definition that applies to us.

If we use the Japanese definition of the word anime, that means that, here in America, Spongebob Squarepants is an anime, Code Lyoko is an anime (by the way, its French, not Japanese), South Park is an anime and Family Guy is an anime. In Japan, yes, these shows would be called anime, as the yuse the word to refer to animation in general, but we Westerners do not use the word this way. And most likely if you were to talk about any of these shows in any of the of the anime threads on this forum, claiming that they were anime, the resulting responses may not be so good:rolleyes: .

Like I said before, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is not an anime IF we are talking about the American version being in Japan (there is a Japanese version of the show, but this came out a long time ago). Despite the fact that the Japanese refer to the show as an anime, we would not call it an anime because of our Western definition of the word.

Sean Connery
02-18-2008, 10:38 PM
the way I see it, if it's done in japan and comes out of japan it's anime

Daenerys
02-19-2008, 07:05 AM
If something is originally from the U.S, it's not an anime.

Little Mermaid, Lion King, Tom and Jerry, all american, but... They are also dubbed in japanese, play in japan, and there are japanese remakes.

The only thing that is anime about that, are the remakes.

Sean Connery
02-19-2008, 01:51 PM
what I meant to say is, if it is being animated in Japan, therefore it's anime

Rem
02-19-2008, 02:15 PM
If you are using the word anime to describe all animation why use the word at all? Anime is a term for JAPANESE cartoons, It's to catagorize where it comes from. TMNT is still just a cartoon, no matter how much you wish it wasn't.

Inactive Account 0061
02-20-2008, 02:13 AM
the way I see it, if it's done in japan and comes out of japan it's anime

I think the same :) . . .

Lelouch of the rebellion
02-20-2008, 08:28 PM
Depends whom you talk to, Otaku's will usually bite your head off for saying something like is TMNT or Avatar etc an anime. More laid back fans take it for what it is and just say yeah it's an anime.

poison.ivy
02-23-2008, 01:14 PM
Erm... from my point of view? Let's compare any other Anime with TMNT.
*comparing*
Honestly, I see nothing in common. TMNT is a very cool cartoon, but it's a regular cartoon. Well, as far as regular can a cartoon be =)
*off topic*
Bugs Bunny, Tom & Jerry, Beetlejuice... *sigh* I miss 'em

TMNT Leonardo
03-03-2008, 07:39 PM
I think I forgot to mention, the new cartoon more based on the comics, not the old cartoon that first came out so they could sell the toys.

I love bein' a turtle, not Heroes in a half-shell turtle power.

TheAsterisk!
03-05-2008, 09:52 PM
If it's a dub, then...no. We call that a dub.
If you were to see the Funimation dub of Dragonball on television, you wouldn't try to say it's an American cartoon, would you?
On the other hand, if it was actually made in Japan (since I'm not entirely certain here) then, yes, you could call it anime.

As for "anime" just meaning "animation"...ok? I think we know by now what the word translates to (since it's brought up in EVERY thread like this), but...would someone say "anime" to mean "western cartoon?" I would think that specifically using the word "anime" implies that they mean Japanese animation (unless you're actually in Japan, but most of us here, as far as I can tell, aren't) in particular. Otherwise, they'd just say cartoon, right?

[EDIT] Looking back (as I should have done from the start) I see that wolfgirl90 said pretty much waht I said later. Sorry for the redundancies.

daft
03-05-2008, 11:40 PM
TMNT is not anime.

Sean Connery
03-06-2008, 01:45 AM
TMNT is not anime.

lol

EonKid
03-06-2008, 02:44 AM
Dude!, whatever floats your boat. If you want to call it a anime, call it an anime.If you want to call it a cartoon, call it a cartoon.

Sean Connery
03-06-2008, 03:37 AM
Dude!, whatever floats your boat. If you want to call it a anime, call it an anime.If you want to call it a cartoon, call it a cartoon.

well said

Amray
03-06-2008, 06:17 AM
No, it is a Cartoon. American Made.

Where I'm from the term 'Anime' means 'Japanese Animation' whereas a cartoon is something American made or similar. Sorry but this programme being dubbed to Japanese does not make it an Anime, thats like saying that an Anime being dubbed into English is now a cartoon, which it is not (over here anyway).

Mow_Uchiha2008
03-24-2008, 06:42 PM
TMNT is looks with anime but I don't think not.