PDA

View Full Version : 日本語の しゅくだい...Check O.o;;

Chocobo
02-12-2008, 07:45 PM
1. せいぶつの じゅきょうは 小さいです。 八じ八っぷんから 九じ三十八っぷんまでです。 そして、 せい ぶつ つまらないです。 せんせいは グリーンせんせい。 グリーンは とても きびしいです 。
Biology classroom is small. From 8:08 AM to 9:38 AM. And it's boring. Teacher is Green. Green is very strict.

2. しゃかいの じゅぎょうは ひろいです。 九じ四十四ぷんから 十一じ十八っぷんまでです。 そして、 し ゃかい つまらないです。 せんせいは ピッグせんせい。 ピッグは まあまあ やさしいです 。
Social Studies class is big. From 9:44 AM to 11:18AM. And it's boring. Teacher is Pigg. Pig is a little kind. (I actually want to say funny...what is funny?)

3. りょうりの じゅぎょうは ひろいです。 十一じ二十三ぷんから 十二じ五十三ぷんまでです。 そして、  りょうり たのしいです。 あついと さむりです。 せんせいは ジョンスせんせい。 ジョンスは とても やさしいです 。
Food prep class is big. From 11:23 AM to 12:53 PM. And it's fun/interesting. It's hot and cold (I want to say it's sometimes hold and sometimes cold...) Teacher is Jones. Jones is very kind.

4. 日本語の じゅぎょうは 小さいです。 一じはんから 三じまでです。 そして、 日本語 たのしいです。  せんせいは なかむらせんせい。 なかむらは とても やさしいです。
Japanese class is small. From 1:30 PM to 3:00 PM. And it is fun/interesting. Sensei is Nakamura. Nakamura is very kind.

Here are the answers to my homework paper about my blocks at school [we only have four]. If some of it is wrong, or you think something might need to be added, please tell me. I'm not sure if the sensei part is right, but she wrote it either せんせいの なかむらは せんせい。 Or せんせいは なかむらせんせい。  I'm not sure...

Soulshift
02-13-2008, 12:27 AM
Some points to consider:

The subject of a sentence is almost always needs to have either は or が after it. In your case, instead of せい ぶつ つまらないです, it should read 生物学(せいぶつかく)はつまらないです。Also note that biology is せいぶつがく and not just せいぶつ (seibutsu = living thing)

People names should almost always a suffix like ーさん, or in this case ーせんせい。 So instead of グリーン, you should always write グリーンせんせい

A じゅきょう isn't a class or classroom, it's a lesson. Classroom is 教室(きょうしつ), and class is クラス。

ひろい is usually used to describe spaces. おおきい describes objects, and おおい means "many". Perhaps you want to say that there are many students (生徒(せいと)) in your class? The opposite of おおい is すくない (few)

To say some one is funny (ie. interesting), you can say that they are 面白い(おもしろい)

Ertai87
02-13-2008, 02:40 PM
Strictly speaking, that's mostly right, in that if you were to say that to a Japanese person, they'd understand (of course, as soulshift said, your word choice is a bit off in places, but if you fix that up you should be fine). However, if this is homework, your teacher probably wants you to be more gramatically correct than you're being. As such, a few notes:

1) When talking about a teacher, you always add せんせい to the end of their name. It doesn't matter how close you are to the teacher or if you've already stated they're a teacher, you always add せんせい to their name. I call my Japanese teacher by her first name, but I still add せんせい to the end. When talking about anybody else, you usually add さん to the end, except in certain circumstances (for the purposes of class work, assume さん unless you're using せんせい).

2) I'm not sure what your homework questions were asking, but your English translations are a bit fragmented. While technically not *wrong*, "八じ八っぷんから 九じ三十八っぷんまでです" is more easily translated as "The class starts at 8:08 and ends at 9:38". The Japanese is correct though.

3) Depending on the meaning, you might want to use しんせつ instead of やさしい. I think やさしい is more of a physical relation while you use しんせつ if you mean "he does nice things". That's a complete guess on my part though.

4) As for your cooking class, I'm not sure what you're trying to get at when you say "it's sometimes hot and sometimes cold". Do you mean the food? The room? I'm not sure, and yes it does matter.

Yiuel
02-13-2008, 07:14 PM
1. せいぶつの じゅきょうは 小さいです。 八じ八っぷんから 九じ三十八っぷんまでです。 そして、 せい ぶつ つまらないです。 せんせいは グリーンせんせい。 グリーンは とても きびしいです 。
Biology classroom is small. From 8:08 AM to 9:38 AM. And it's boring. Teacher is Green. Green is very strict.

せいぶつの じゅきょうは 小さいです。
I wonder if you intend to say that your class isn't very long. If so, you should use みじかい, which means "short". However, you seem to use ひろい in the next paragraph, to mean there are a lot of people. If that's so, I would recommend you 人がすくない, which means "does not have a lot of people" . And it should be じゅぎょう.

八じ八っぷんから 九じ三十八っぷんまでです。
Correct.

そして、 つまらないです。
Here, as it has been pointed out, you should use は, to mark the topic (せいぶつ) of your sentence. However, you could entirely leave it out, giving a sentence like "そして、 つまらないです。"

せんせいは グリーンせんせい
Here, you could have said きょうし は. "Kyoushi" is teacher as "someone teaching as his job". And you should use です at the end.

グリーンは とても きびしいです。
Good, but for the sake of style, instead of using your teacher's name, you should use his title せんせい.

2. しゃかいの じゅぎょうは ひろいです。 九じ四十四ぷんから 十一じ十八っぷんまでです。 そして、 し ゃかい つまらないです。 せんせいは ピッグせんせい。 ピッグは まあまあ やさしいです 。
Social Studies class is big. From 9:44 AM to 11:18AM. And it's boring. Teacher is Pigg. Pig is a little kind. (I actually want to say funny...what is funny?)

しゃかいの じゅぎょうは ひろいです。
Here, I wonder what do you intend by しゃかい. Is it a class about sociology? Perhaps it's a class about history and geography. I don't have such courses where I live (Montréal). So I could only recommend you しゃかいがく (sociology). Also, same thing as earlier, but here, 人がおおい should be used. It means "has a lot of people".

九じ四十四ぷんから 十一じ十八っぷんまでです。
Correct.

そして、 しゃかい つまらないです。
I do not know if you have learned the も particle yet. If you did, you should use it in the sentence, as there is already a boring class in the first paragraph.

せんせいは ピッグせんせい。 ピッグは まあまあ やさしいです。
Same thing as for the other paragraph. And the word for funny can be either おもしろい or おかしい. The first one has connotations of being interesting, while the second one verge more on being strange, bizarre.

3. りょうりの じゅぎょうは ひろいです。 十一じ二十三ぷんから 十二じ五十三ぷんまでです。 そして、  りょうり たのしいです。 あついと さむりです。 せんせいは ジョンスせんせい。 ジョンスは とても やさしいです 。
Food prep class is big. From 11:23 AM to 12:53 PM. And it's fun/interesting. It's hot and cold (I want to say it's sometimes hold and sometimes cold...) Teacher is Jones. Jones is very kind.

りょうりの じゅぎょうは ひろいです。 十一じ二十三ぷんから 十二じ五十三ぷんまでです。
Same thing as earlier.

そして、 りょうり たのしいです。
Here, you still have the topic problem, but even more, you could probably contrast it with the two other courses. でも "but" instead of そして, and then you use は.

あついと さむりです。
Okay. This is a little difficult. Japanese doesn't tolerate having adjectives and verbs connected with と to plainly coordinate both adj. or v. You have a few ways to coordinate, however, your precision gives me exactly the translation I would give : あつかったりさむかったりします。
However, this is intermediate grammar. To explain it easily, Japanese has an "alternative" form adjectives and verbs, which exactly means "sometimes it is X, sometimes it is Y". And you usually use します with it, this verb being something of a dummy verb in Japanese. If you have more questions on this part, don't hesitate and ask. It sure is difficult to understand, as we are used to be able to coordinate verbs and adjectives as easily as nouns.

せんせいは ジョンスせんせい。 ジョンスは とても やさしいです。
Same thing as in the two other paragraphs.

4. 日本語の じゅぎょうは 小さいです。 一じはんから 三じまでです。 そして、 日本語 たのしいです。  せんせいは なかむらせんせい。 なかむらは とても やさしいです。
Japanese class is small. From 1:30 PM to 3:00 PM. And it is fun/interesting. Sensei is Nakamura. Nakamura is very kind.

日本語の じゅぎょうは 小さいです。 一じはんから 三じまでです。
You should know the pattern now.

そして、 日本語 たのしいです。
You don't need the topic here, as in the second part.

せんせいは なかむらせんせい。 なかむらは とても やさしいです。
Well, same thing as in the other paragraphs.

Hope that all of this helps you. If you have any other questions, as I have said, just ask :) I would have written this text differently, but I tried to keep it simple, as I have an advanced level.

N.B. : This is my first post on this forum, so people probably would wonder if what I have said is correct. I have now been studying Japanese for five years, including a full year in Japan in a University (I have a major in East-Asian studies, Japan (especially Japanese language) being my speciality). I'm preparing myself to pass the top level of the Japanese Proficiency Test in next december.

Chocobo
02-13-2008, 08:07 PM
Well, when I say it's sometimes hot and sometimes cold..

It's hot when we cook, but when we don't cook it's not hot..

Also, the せんせい part, is it Nameせんせいは せんせいです? なかむらせんせい had せんせい in the sentece twice when saying who the teacher of the class was. She mainly wants us to use words that we have already learned in the provided book, but if we know another word and can use it correctly she says that's fine to do, but she'd actually just rather us use the book.

Also, the homework was one of the on-the-spot things that teachers seem to love to make. All we need to do is describe our class schedule. What the class is, times of the class, is the class big or small, is it interesting or boring, whose the teacher, is s/he kind or strict. Another think, my biology classroom is large, but where the students sit is small. So would I say it's small or big?

Yiuel
02-13-2008, 08:26 PM
Well, when I say it's sometimes hot and sometimes cold..

It's hot when we cook, but when we don't cook it's not hot..

Oh. This would make an even more difficult sentence. Because you would have to specify a time for each adjective, so it will make your sentence a little too complicated I think.

Just to give you how I'd say that :

料理(りょうり) を 作(つく)って いる とき とても 暑(あつ)く なって、何(なに)も 作(つく)って いない とき 涼(すず)しく なる の  です。
cooking (OBJ) making is time very hot becoming, anything making is-not time cool become that is.

Also, the せんせい part, is it Nameせんせいは せんせいです? なかむらせんせい had せんせい in the sentece twice when saying who the teacher of the class was. She mainly wants us to use words that we have already learned in the provided book, but if we know another word and can use it correctly she says that's fine to do, but she'd actually just rather us use the book.Okay. If it's so, only use せんせい. However, Here is how I would formulate it :

せんせいは (Name)せんせいです。 とても (きびしい/やさしい)です 。

Also, the homework was one of the on-the-spot things that teachers seem to love to make. All we need to do is describe our class schedule. What the class is, times of the class, is the class big or small, is it interesting or boring, whose the teacher, is s/he kind or strict.Ok, it seems simple. I find it akward to use ひろい and ちいさい for big (class) and small (class), but if the teacher tought you that, it cannot be that bad.

Chocobo
02-13-2008, 08:35 PM
Oh. This would make an even more difficult sentence. Because you would have to specify a time for each adjective, so it will make your sentence a little too complicated I think.

Just to give you how I'd say that :

料理(りょうり) を 作(つく)って いる とき とても 暑(あつ)く なって、何(なに)も 作(つく)って いない とき 涼(すず)しく なる の  です。
cooking (OBJ) making is time very hot becoming, anything making is-not time cool become that is.

Okay. If it's so, only use せんせい. However, Here is how I would formulate it :

せんせいは (Name)せんせいです。 とても (きびしい/やさしい)です 。

Ok, it seems simple. I find it akward to use ひろい and ちいさい for big (class) and small (class), but if the teacher tought you that, it cannot be that bad.

Okay. Well, there's some rooms in my school that are very spacious, but the work area [where the students sit] is small. Such as in biology, there's 30 students in my class all crammed into the 1/4 area of my room, and we don't have much space to work. Behind us in the rest of the room is the lab area, making the room bigger. It's one of the most spacious rooms in my school...

Yiuel
02-13-2008, 08:42 PM
I see. Then you'd have to say :

生物(せいぶつ)の授業(じゅぎょう)は八じ八っぷんから 九じ三十八っぷんまでです。 教室(きょうしつ )は広(ひろ)いです。

Kyoushitsu means "classroom", while jugyou means "class" in a very general way. The second sentence means "The classroom is spacious". The opposite of spacious is 狭(せま)い, "narrow", "small" (not-spacious, not-wide).

After, you'd have to add "そして、せいぶつはつまらないです。" Here, you'd need the topic (seibutsu) because it is a different one before it (kyoushitsu).

Chocobo
02-13-2008, 08:46 PM
Alright. And wow, I kind of went retarded on my adjectives. I was using 小さい instead of 狭い.

Well, I'm just going to entirely redo my homework then, and possibly hope for the best.

Yiuel
02-13-2008, 08:49 PM
Alright. And wow, I kind of went retarded on my adjectives. I was using 小さい instead of 狭い.

Well, I'm just going to entirely redo my homework then, and possibly hope for the best.

Never bad to redo it. And let us know, we (at least I) will check it again :)

Chocobo
02-13-2008, 08:57 PM
It'll probably just end up being almost the same...before I print it I have to write the hiragana to all the Kanji because I'm not even supposed to be using Kanji yet. I'm in a level 2 Japanese class, but we're still using the level 1 book. The only Kanji we're supposed to know from the book are the days of the week and numbers.

Yiuel
02-13-2008, 09:01 PM
It'll probably just end up being almost the same...before I print it I have to write the hiragana to all the Kanji because I'm not even supposed to be using Kanji yet. I'm in a level 2 Japanese class, but we're still using the level 1 book. The only Kanji we're supposed to know from the book are the days of the week and numbers.

I had to learn kanji even in the first level. It probably was a bad idea for most students. (I had done two years of self-study before any class, so it wasn't much difficult to officially introduce kanji to me, as I was already on the verge of understand its logic. But it has been a problem to most students.)

Chocobo
02-13-2008, 09:17 PM
Well, I did ishy (not really very good study) on my know before I went into Japanese class. I was just mainly learning Kanji and somewhat what some radicals meant. I did know all of the colors, but I only know 白. I knew 一~先、月、日、年、百、愛、花、山、父、母. that's really it. It's not really a lot, but it's much more than what the class originally knew.

Well, here's my first sentence redone...probably some errors.
一。 せいぶつがくの きょうしつは 狭いです。 八じ八っぷんから 九じ三十八っぷんまでです。 つまら ないです。 せいぶつがくの せんせいは グリーンせんせいです。 グリーンせんせいは 厳し いです。 

Yiuel
02-13-2008, 09:37 PM
Well, I did ishy (not really very good study) on my know before I went into Japanese class. I was just mainly learning Kanji and somewhat what some radicals meant. I did know all of the colors, but I only know 白. I knew 一~先、月、日、年、百、愛、花、山、父、母. that's really it. It's not really a lot, but it's much more than what the class originally knew.

Well, here's my first sentence redone...probably some errors.
一。 せいぶつがくの きょうしつは 狭いです。 八じ八っぷんから 九じ三十八っぷんまでです。 つまら ないです。 せいぶつがくの せんせいは グリーンせんせいです。 グリーンせんせいは 厳し いです。 

Do you know how do write them on paper? If you know how to write AI/itoshiii, it's quite a feat. I'm learning all jouyou kanji (1945) to be able to write them with a pen. I've just done revising all the kyouiku kanji (1006), and I'm almost perfect in writing them. But it's tiring me up...:sweatdrop

As for your first part, you have problems with the topics. In the second sentence, you have no topic (your classroom cannot be in some time, (your second sentence implies that it can)).

Here's how it could go.

1)生物学(せいぶつがく)の授業(じゅぎょう)は8時(はちじ)8分(はっぷん)から9時(くじ)38分 (さんじゅうはっぷん)までです。
2)教室(きょうしつ)は狭(せま)いです。
3)そして、内容(ないよう)はつまらないです。
4)先生(せんせい)はグリーン先生です。
5) グリーン先生は厳(きび)しいです。

In the first sentence, the topic is "Seibutsugaku no jugyou". In the second one, it's "kyoushitsu". It is implied, from the first sentence, that we are still speaking about seibutugaku. In the third, you go on to "naiyou" (content). Then, the fourth, you're speaking of "sensei" the teacher, and the last one, your speaking of "Mr. Green" (related to teacher).

If you want to avoid the word "naiyou", just place "つまらないです。" after the first sentence and take out the third sentence out of my example.

Chocobo
02-13-2008, 09:44 PM
Well, I can write 愛 on paper, but it takes some time for me to recall the strokes, unlike the other's where I can write them within 2 seconds max. Also, it's Mrs. Green, but she's so nnngish we call her Mr. Green. Also, why is it...blah, nevermind.

Biology class times.
Classroom size.

I usually don't have this must difficulty with my homework. I guess the drama practice is really messing with my head.

Yiuel
02-13-2008, 09:50 PM
I usually don't have this must difficulty with my homework. I guess the drama practice is really messing with my head.

Or it might be my fault, as I tried to pinpoint all small details, to make sure you get it right :P

Ertai87
02-14-2008, 01:08 AM
Generally when a person asks "is your class big or small", they mean the number of people. As such, you should probably say がくせいが多いあります。 (there are many students) or がくせいが少ないあります。 (there are few students). Your teacher's probably not asking about the classroom itself.

Also, if you've learned it (from your level of Kanji I'm guessing you probably haven't, but if you have this is a good time to start learning how to use it), when you say つまらない you should add とおもいます to the end (e.g. せいぶつがくがつまらないとおもいます). The difference is saying "this is boring" and "I think this is boring". It's less forceful and less insulting. Generally in Japanese unless you want to be really strong about what you're trying to say, you should usually add とおもいます to the end (especially when what you're saying is on the extremes of positive or negative).

If you haven't learned it, this form comes from the particle と used for quoting (usually used with いう (to say), きく (to ask), or こたえる (to reply)), plus the verb おもう (to think). Note that おもう is different from かんがえる. Both mean "to think", but かんがえる is usually used topic-wise or action-wise (e.g. "I'm thinking about Japanese right now" or "Plato thought about many different things") while おもう is generally more direct (e.g. "I think this is stupid" or "I thought that was interesting" or "I'm thinking of going to Japan next year").

Datenshi
02-15-2008, 09:06 PM
がくせいが多いあります。 (there are many students) or がくせいが少ないあります
がくせいが多いあります -> 学生が多いです / 学生が多くいます
がくせいが少ないあります -> 学生が少ないです

Last time I checked, you couldn't use ...がある with regards to people.

Yiuel
02-15-2008, 10:44 PM
がくせいが少ないあります -> 学生が少ないです

The problem in these is not the use of ある per se (as opposed to いる), but the use of a verb after an already declined adjective. You could use ある however if you use the adverbial form of the adjective, but it would be somewhat old-style Japanese. The use of the copula です is more common with declined adjective.

Ertai87
02-15-2008, 11:38 PM
がくせいが少ないあります -> 学生が少ないです

Right, my bad. Change that to います instead of あります