PDA

View Full Version : How do I gain weight?

perfectcell16
02-09-2008, 02:51 PM
I am 16 years old and I only weigh 119 lbs (54kg), it really annoys me because i think I eat a lot, can you give me some advice and maybe tell me what exercises should I do.

overwatch
02-09-2008, 02:55 PM
Best advice I can give you is to see you local GP (doctor). They can give you adivce and if needed put you in contact with a dietition (SP) who can give more specific advice.

Buruku
02-09-2008, 02:56 PM
Eat until you sleep, sleep until you're hungry.

How tall are you?

perfectcell16
02-09-2008, 02:58 PM
Eat until you sleep, sleep until you're hungry.

How tall are you?

I am 173 cm (5'6)

Storm Strife
02-09-2008, 03:00 PM
Have you tried body building? That usually increases muscle mass, which increases weight.

Or am I talking rubbish?

Flah Blah
02-09-2008, 03:02 PM
Also depends on how fast your metabolism is. You're still fairly young thus your still growing body accompanied by your naturally fast metabolism at this age may prevent you from gaining much. I agree with overwatch, talk to your doctor.

Leorina
02-09-2008, 03:03 PM
There's always the easy approach: eat more. Like cookies. Yum. But if you want the hard way, crunches or some other machine can help you build up muscle.

Ωmega
02-09-2008, 03:05 PM
Eat lots of ice cream. That'll put some weight on you. Also, try to do as little as possible, which will prevent your body from burning that fat.

overwatch
02-09-2008, 03:05 PM
Have you tried body building? That usually increases muscle mass, which increases weight.

Or am I talking rubbish?

this can build body mass - but get advice on this because too much body building at a young age can affect your growth - and a sudden change can cause damage (see your PE teacher - or try the local gym, they should have people to advise there)

Brewmaster
02-09-2008, 03:07 PM
As is already said check with your doctor.You are still young and your body is growing so your metabolism is maybe fast.Don't worry it will come later you will complain that you are overweight.One more thing don't eat allot eat the amount which you need.So eat slowly and when you feel you are full stop.That way you will not gain to much weight nor will you lose much.That is my advice.Hope i helped.^^

╬Karami Mew~Meow
02-09-2008, 03:11 PM
Heh, funny, I have the same problem. -_-; Well, I don't think it's a problem, but my parents does. They think I'm too thin -_- Though I find myself perfectly fine. I haven't been eating properly these days that's why ... *sigh* (5"4" & 95-100 lbs.) Though, I'm pretty heavy...probably cause of my bones...and muscles. Since now I have problems running I feel alot heavier when I run, than 2 years ago.

Yeah, what they said are good advices. Muscles makes you heavier, sleep, eat all the food your supposed to everyday.
Chocolate makes you chubbier too. lol. Though it's not so healthy...

Buruku
02-09-2008, 03:17 PM
My brother is 17 and 5'6 and weighs..like 135 pounds, but thats only because he has built quite a bit of muscle. He's just one of those guys with a light frame, like you. I guess you could try to only lift weights and eat a lot of protein and carbs.

Eris
02-09-2008, 03:24 PM
Exercise. Eat sufficiently with proteins.

Or, you could sit around eating lard all day long. But that's not particularly healthy.

Momokachan
02-09-2008, 03:24 PM
Five-foot-six and 119 pounds actually sounds about right for a healthy weight.
I went and Googled the BMI index, and at 19.2, you fall in the healthy range, although gaining about five pounds probably wouldn't kill you.

If you think you're too thin, though, the first thing you should do is talk to your doctor, since he or she can tell you a safe way to gain the extra weight.

PanzerJager
02-09-2008, 03:38 PM
Work out.. muscle weighs more than fat.

Hideki Motosuwa.
02-09-2008, 03:56 PM
Are you trying to gain muscle or fat? I'd go with all the above mentioned ones.

perfectcell16
02-09-2008, 03:58 PM
Are you trying to gain muscle or fat? I'd go with all the above mentioned ones.

I'm trying to gain both fat and muscle.

Hideki Motosuwa.
02-09-2008, 04:06 PM
I'm trying to gain both fat and muscle.
Like someone mentioned above, maybe try lifting heavy weights, and consulting a physician. And try mixing half and half in your coffee(if you drink coffee). And as far as I know, eating less will actually help gain weight, because it slows the metabolism down.

perfectcell16
02-09-2008, 04:10 PM
Like someone mentioned above, maybe try lifting heavy weights, and consulting a physician. And try mixing half and half in your coffee(if you drink coffee). And as far as I know, eating less will actually help gain weight, because it slows the metabolism down.

I tried eating less and that didn't work either, when I started eating less I actually seen my ribcage which is really weird.:unsure:

Khanxay
02-09-2008, 04:17 PM
Funny. This sounds like me. Except I gave up. (5'9"ish and 130 lbs right now too.)

Go with the doctor idea.

-Kitsune-
02-09-2008, 04:32 PM
Ah, I've had the same problem for a while, I haven't gained any wieght since the sixth or seventh grade o.O; Anyways, as everyone else has said you should consult your doctor. It sounds like you've got a high metabolism (Your body uses energy more often than it stores it as fat) so your doctor might be able to put you on some sort of diet to counteract that. I've also heard that drinking protien shakes can help if you're trying to gain muscle weight =/

Aizmov
02-09-2008, 04:48 PM
I'm 22 and weight just as much! I was much lighter when I was your age!
You'll gain weight as you age, don't worry ;)

╬Karami Mew~Meow
02-09-2008, 04:58 PM
I'm 22 and weight just as much! I was much lighter when I was your age!
You'll gain weight as you age, don't worry ;)

True. You gain weight as you grow older. (specifically, when you get married mostly)
Like my half sister, she was so thin with a long neck like me (curse those dark days in my memory X.X), and she got chubbier when she got older.
So, don't worry.
You may eat alot, and not gain weight, or get chubbier, then that might be the only size for you.
Like, me, no matter how much I eat, I don't get fat. My stomach is always flat lol I probably will never get fat

KP4
02-09-2008, 05:19 PM
Asking a doctor is probably the best thing you can do. I remember learning how for diabetic patients had to avoid some goods since they retain more glucose than others (sosmething about glycogenic index). I guess if you eat foods with high glycogenic index your body will probably retain more suger thus converting that into fat. Like people said you should go see a doctor and he should know about this stuff.

Sagat
02-09-2008, 06:33 PM
Screw this ask the doctor bullcrap. That's advise given by people who have no applicable knowledge to give. Doctors will just give you the standardized exercise regimen that old people would find easy. If you are going to talk to people - talk to people at a gym. Talk to muscular people at the gym who can give you practical knowledge based on experience and not something out of a text book.

If you want to gain more weight, lift weights. Lift heavy weights, and eat lots of protein.

There is simply far, far too much to convey to you right now that would only end in information overload. If you want to gain mass the right way, as fast as you can without screwing up, I hope you are prepared to read:

www.bodybuilders.com

They have plenty of beginners articles, explanations on exercises, and programs for different goals. Do yourself the favour of spending a night reading that site and getting the info you need.

That site has everything you need.

genericusername2
02-09-2008, 06:58 PM
I am 16 years old and I only weigh 119 lbs (54kg), it really annoys me because i think I eat a lot, can you give me some advice and maybe tell me what exercises should I do.

You're asking the wrong crowd. Don't go on an internet forum looking for exercise/bodybuilding tips. You may get intelligent answers and directions, but most people here spend a large portion of their day sitting on their gluteus maximus, therefor you most likely won't get a personal experienced opinion.

Go to your local health store and buy yourself some weight gainer, start making protein drinks with it as well. If you really want to gain fast, start stacking on dairy products. If you are thinking of body building I wouldn't recommend it. Just find your local gym and ask there.

Oh, and instead of wasting time on a forum asking for help, try search engines such as google.

Light Buster
02-09-2008, 09:45 PM
Eat whatever you see on sight.

Jose
02-09-2008, 09:48 PM
Well sign up for gym hit a good try times a week for 30 minutes a day.
After about 2-3 you should be more fit, try out for a sport and that should take care of the rest (that is if you dont want to have the fat)

International 4-8818
02-09-2008, 09:52 PM
I highly suggest you do not. 10 or 15 years from now you will be sitting on a couch over weight as hell eating bon bons saying damnit all. You are fine as it is but might as well tell. Have you ever heard of the expression, let it go and it will all show. As in you eat so much you are going to be so fat and fluffy.

Now, you said you eat so much, but gain none. That means you have a very fast metabolism. I would stay away from muscle building exercises since when you gain muscle your metabolism will increase.

When you want to gain weight, you don't do anything and just eat carbs. Thats what you should do. But really you are fine don't worry about it.

but if you want to gain more muscle mass, just go to the gym 3-4 times a week and AFTER EACH WORKOUT DRINK A GLASS OF LOW FAT MILK! trust me on this one. It works. When you drink milk the body metabolizes the proteins and whey in the milk in pure muscle. You will gain at least 40% body mass (muscle) in twelve weeks if you do this.

Gero50
02-09-2008, 09:53 PM
Well when I was little I had to gain wait too, I used a drink called a sport shake it worked wonders and it tasted good too. but my other advice is only drink one a day. They're like 500 calories a drink. so ya keep that in mind.

Asriel
02-09-2008, 09:55 PM
Wow and I thought I needed to lose weight.I'm as skinny as heck but for some reason I don't like the fact that I weigh 100 pounds =_= and i'm 4`9.

weird,but anyway do what I do and go running around a 3 mile trail every day you can,I do it with my mom and actually its quite relaxing for some odd reason.

allaboutyou3678
02-09-2008, 11:01 PM
Well I'm sure when you say want to gain weight you don't mean as in fat. If thats the case go to the gym workout and gain some muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat as I'm sure you have heard. Thats probably your best bet. But you know what would be even better? Being happy with your body.

Azel
02-09-2008, 11:12 PM
Well I'm sure when you say want to gain weight you don't mean as in fat. If thats the case go to the gym workout and gain some muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat as I'm sure you have heard. Thats probably your best bet. But you know what would be even better? Being happy with your body.

Being happy with your body? We're talking about possible solutions here. Now, on a more serious note: I suggest you either go inject a substantial amount of steroids into your blood stream or get serious plastic surgery. Sure it may be extremely expensive and could have numerous devestating health effects, but come on, what's more important? Looks or living? Surely you don't want to try the whole "work at lifting weights approach". Sure, you wouldn't be susceptible to liver damage and cardiovascular problems or have pay fifty-thousand dollars but it may take an entire six months to get desired results. Six months you could be spending reading AF posts about why Itachi totally pwnz, answering some dolts question about lyrics that he could easily find in three seconds by searching google, or eating Cheetos and playing World of Warcraft.

Inamorata
02-09-2008, 11:14 PM
Salad buffet to lose weight, pizza and salad buffet to gain... @.@ I personaly love all buffets.

Acnologia
02-09-2008, 11:31 PM
I would just start exercising. Don't eat a lot or you'll end up like me, and no one wants to end up like me.

chocovanilagal
02-10-2008, 12:50 AM
well the weight issue is on every girl's mind i guess^^.....i'm a 17 yr old girl who weighs around 55 kgs....but i still look kinda weak according to my mom.....as my bones and veins are easily visible to the human eye^^...well i guess its all my bone weight. Anyways i dont do any particular exercises or something....i just play a lot of sport stuff....like badminton,tennis and yes i love swimming. Swmming is something by which u actually dont gain/lose any weight but will surely it keeps u in shape....but one thing to be kept in mind about swimming is that after swimming u'll surely feel hungry and if u eat then....then its real no use exercising^^....well stay healthy and dont worry about ur weight unless and untill u have the neccessary health requirements^^

Sagat
02-10-2008, 01:12 AM
Six months you could be spending reading AF posts about why Itachi totally pwnz, answering some dolts question about lyrics that he could easily find in three seconds by searching google, or eating Cheetos and playing World of Warcraft.

He wants to improve his life, not waste it.

prototypetetra
02-10-2008, 02:30 AM
well... fat gives off the most calories and the more you have the fatter you become... so eat a lot of fat i guess hohohohohohohohohh maybe you can drink some cooking oil...

honestly... why in hell are you even caring this much on gaining weight i mean geez... you should be glad that youre in that shape and enjoy it while you can and just eat whatever crappy fatty food or sugary food that you want... its just the things that some people want.. its so... god...

yilin
02-10-2008, 02:38 AM
seek for a physician for that problem...

hmmm... Is your relatives are the same as you???
If yes, I think is in your blood line...

Wio
02-10-2008, 06:51 AM
Buy some weights that strap onto your body.

Strap them on.

Viola.

Lune Cy
02-10-2008, 07:26 AM
eat and drinks things with sugar..dont move alot for 2 weeks then see how much you weigh

Yurka
02-10-2008, 09:05 AM
Your weight is fine for your age and height. I'm 57 kg which I think is around 125 pounds or something like that and I look just fine. You should just let it go it's not like you actually need that extra body mass.

hoshi the lovely star
02-10-2008, 09:39 AM
Do you want muscle or weight? I thought people now tried to lose weight.

Ramona Flowers
02-10-2008, 11:48 AM
Whole milk and protien bars. Muscle Milk will help with.. well, that's rather
self-explanatory. o_o

sadida
02-10-2008, 12:11 PM
Wow and I thought I needed to lose weight.I'm as skinny as heck but for some reason I don't like the fact that I weigh 100 pounds =_= and i'm 4`9.

weird,but anyway do what I do and go running around a 3 mile trail every day you can,I do it with my mom and actually its quite relaxing for some odd reason.

Is that that skinny? Cuz, i'm like somewhere between 85-90 lbs and i'm 4'11''... But i'm kinda normal sized (proportionally) not skinny.Is that normal?.. anyhoos.
To the thread poster, feel free to ignore this but Do you really feel like you need to gain weight? Like do you get woozy or anything? Cuz i don't think its that big of a big deal if its not affecting your health... You could just accept that this was how you are built. And You dont need to fit the mould of everyone else (ie a bit fatter). Just my opinion.

IceBubleFlava
02-10-2008, 01:23 PM
A crucial prolem. Some say ur lucky, ones who felt it say stop calling me skinny. Yeah.
I've felt it i'm 5'4 and 109pds. All I do everyday is eat and sleep. I know I have a fast mateblism though.
(YEah I know there's errors)