Higursahi No Naku Koro Ni

Other Titles:
When They Cry
When Cicadas Cry

TV
Episodes: 26

Genre: Drama, Horror, Mystery, Psychological

Plot synopsis:
On one hot summer day in 1983, a transfer student named Maebara Keiichi comes to a peaceful rural village in Hinamizawa. There, he befriends his classmates Rena, Mion, Rika, and Satoko. Accepted as a full-fledged member of the "club," Keiichi and the gang plays all sorts of activities ranging from card and board games to hide-and-seek. But just as Keiichi was beginning to be assimilated in simple rural life, he stumbles upon the dark history of Hinamizawa. As Keiichi dives deeper into the mystery, he finds that his new found friends may not be all what they claim to be.

Story: (10/10)
What makes the anime really shine is that it keeps you guessing and very hard to predict. Alot of suspence animes are predictable on how they are going to end, but this anime keeps you guessing till the very end. Also the story of this anime is really great and outlines the importance of friendship really well.

Characters: (10/10)
The characters are really well done. Each character has a different personality. Also during each mini story the characteristics and the way each character is viewed is slightly chaged. By taking advantage of it's unique ministory plot, it does a great job in displaying these differet perspectives of each character. This makes the viewer see each character in a different perspective.

Art/animation: (9.5/10)
The animeation is probably one of the best i've seen in anime. the reason for a 9.5 over a 10 is because the sequal to the anime, Higurashi Naku Koro Ni Kai, does a even better job with the animation.

Sound/Music: (9/10)
The intro/ending is very unique. I'm a huge fan of the intro song. The singer, Eiko Shimamiya, does a fantastic job. Also, the background music fits the situations really well and really brings the viewer into the anime.

Overall: (10/10)
Well, overall this anime is really great. It really kept me interested since unlike a lot of animes it was really hard to predict the story.

Nyokou
04-19-2008, 11:54 AM
Anyone who starts off watching this series without having played the games beforehand would be confused. The plot is very, very confusing to anyone who watches at first, but it starts to pick up as the story develops. That is definitely the reason why it makes the show so interesting - it makes the watcher want more.

Characters: (9/10)
To be honest, a few of the characters really pissed me off because of things they did, although my opinion of them really changed after having watched the second season. Terrible first impressions from some of the main characters, but that depends entirely on the story arcs.

Art/Animation: (8/10)
Definitely not some of the best animation or art in the world. In some parts, it's really clean or the animation is extremely realistic (especially with the violent scenes). However, I won't deny the fact that in other places, the art is half-assed and awkward, which really derives attention away from what is going on in that particular scene.

The music for the opening is fantastic. Nothing less from an I'VE SOUND member; the lyrics fit the story well if you understand their meaning. However, the ending is awful. It really kills to listen to a song with an artist who is attempting to sing in English and is Japanese. The only thing that makes the ending worth listening to is the instrumentals maybe, and pretending that she's singing in Japanese. The rest of the music played throughout the series is wonderful too, and eerie.

Overall: (9/10)
The series was great overall, but not perfect. It gave way the second season, which was much better in my opinion. But this is definitely a show worth watching - it's addicting, gory, cute, and hilarious.

Vintniv
06-12-2008, 09:58 PM
Its definitely not ordinary when you put it up against other animes that go for the horror genre. But, it never gives you a feeling of safety. The story aspires around murders that happen depending on ever shifting scenarios that last for a period of about 4 episodes before shifting you to a new scenario. Although each scenario is answered, they are always answered in the way that there is no real hero, but there is always a villain that you get to watch play out in front of you with a step by step process of their crime and insanity.

So far, I have never had a nightmare about anime before. That ended after seeing this. Although not because of the story that I was brought to a terrific scare, it was more or less because the characters are designed so perfectly to make sure a vivid image of them starring at you with some form of blunt object with murderous intent.

Art/Animation (9/10)
There are periods of great detail, and times of sheer childish antics which seems to shift back and forth quite often. This tends to get annoying, but its always good to wait out the story for it to get to the feeling of of its 'mysterious murder' feel.

Sound/Music: (7/10)
I never did put too much to hope for in the music. The music never gave me the direct feeling of, 'oh something bad is going to happen.' Although it would have been nice to add in a nice scare with its music, it was a bit lacking. As for the character voices, theres really nothing I can say. I never have criticized or held the capacity to judge a person's murderer voice against another's.

Overall (9.5/10)
I have never seen something like this before, which is all the more reason that passing this up is bad. Although its no exactly well known anime like other, but it should be. Its design is very out of the ordinary and plays out like a movie rather than holding itself as separate episodes. Although I would not advise watching it alone, it makes the mood perfect when you do.

Raesama
08-11-2008, 02:05 PM
Plot - 10/10

Unlike most horror animes, Higurashi is not all senseless blood and gore (though that is entertaining, too.) It has substance through a psychological plot of "who dunnit" that goes way beyond the cliched suspense. And even with this psychologically thrilling plot, there is humor to be found. Through several scenarios, the watcher is introduced to situations that are increasingly scary and unpredictable, all leading up to the conclusion, which may not be a conclusion at all. When I started watching, I finished it within two days; trust me, it's that addicting.

Characters/Character Development - 9/10

In the end, I feared each one of the characters as if they were on the FBI's most wanted list for massacring the masses. Each of the characters were portrayed in such a way that they slowly crawled out the screen and into your mind, making you feel you knew them well, which made the whole anime that much freakier. As for character development, you may have to suspend your disbelief many a time for the incompetence of the police department and the terrible judgement of the first character you meet, Maebara Keichii.

The Animation Itself - 7/10

Let me start by saying that what added to a lot of the intensity of the anime was how innocent and child-like each of the characters were drawn. You just wanted to give them all a hug. However, as the anime progressed, several sloppy scenes made it a bit funnier, rather than horrific. The worst was in the last scene in the last episode. If you time it right, you can catch one of the characters without a face, and another without a head!

Voice Actors - 10/10

Most animes are watched for story line, soundtrack, or ridiculously adorable art. If none of that appeals to you, you should watch Higurashi for the acting. Yes, you should watch an anime for the acting. Each and every voice actor brings such a raw emotion to the show, with everything from the comical side to the murderous side of the show. Every screams seems real. Every insane laugh sends chills down your spine, further pulling you into all of the action.

Soundtrack - 7/10

When there is a need for suspense, the soundtrack plays a key part in every show or movie. The same goes for this anime, adding just the right amount without making it seem corny. Even by itself, listening to the soundtrack on your iPod, a sunny day at the beach seems kinda creepy. However, all the "scary" songs are very much alike, with no real distinction other than title. That does not go for the character songs, though, which is a whole different story to be looked into for yourself once you begin watching this truly terrific anime.

Shion Sonozaki
02-18-2009, 10:23 AM
I personally adored the plot. It really brings you in. The setting is beautiful but the story is dark. Anyone who begins to watch this cannot stop till you reach the end! Nevertheless leaving you with so many questions--even if most of them are answered you always have questions at the end of the series. This anime really stands out and represents the world of Sien anime very well! Even at night while trying to fall asleep these terrifying pictures enter your mind trying to bring you closer to paranoid! Did you really believe what was happening?

Each character was really rounded. They each had a history that made this story and fallowed the steps correctly into what make a murder mystery starting with the word “USODA!” As you get deeper and deeper into the question arcs these histories are revealed and leave you speechless.

Art/Animation: (9/10)
One of the best I’ve seen—especially for something as violent as this series. Each picture built up with not only artistic love but the desire to make it feel like you were there… To make it feel as if your locked door was opening within the darkness of your room—someone raising their claws read to make you perish!

Overall I have to say that this is on of the world’s top 10 anime for me! It really moves you. For those who haven’t watched it, I recommend that yu let those plae hands bring you into the mysterious story of Himinizawa.

Shion Sonozaki
02-18-2009, 03:16 PM
Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni really moves you. At times you'd wanna look away you were so scared, and at other times you felt like crying. This anime really stands out and does a very good job of representing the world of Sien anime and manga! Even at night, your door is locked and all the lights are out. You slip into bed ready to go to sleep--but the thoughts of that curse fill your mind. You think that your door opens and someone is coming toward you with a cleaver or even a knife ready to rid of your head! But when you close your eyes you might even see blood splattered on your shirt. Leaving you with so many questions--maybe this curse is real. Itmake syou think that your street may be your Himinizawa!

Each character has a certain personality and past that fits this story. each character has their own special way to fall into the traps that make this horrifying murder mystery.

Art/animation: (9/10)
One of the best i've seen! The way the characters are drawn shows how they lure you with honesty and friendship then turn against.... feeling the disre to kill you! SOme such as Keiichi Maebara may bring you in not rembering common sense and the next hing you know, a bat hits you and light begins to fade away.

Ever since I started watching this anime, Shimamiya Eiko-san has been on my list of "Top 10 best Japanese singers/Bands" list as number 2! Her work is beautiful. She did a great job expressing the violent anime within clam music. You would never expect so much blood with such beautful music! Alothough the english voice actor especially Keiichi could do better.

But judging overall I think this is at most one of the wrold's greatest anime if not well known. But I have a question for you: Did you really believe? Or did you refuse to beleive?

Arata Fukuyama
05-11-2009, 09:16 AM
Story (10/10):
Well, the story line is pretty deep and complex. The suspense here is really amazing. You can really feel the thrill and horror. Also, there the killing intent of some characters which really makes the story more interesting.

Characters (10/10):
The characters are really cute and very nicely done. Though, I think some designs of the characters are visible that's why they retouched and redesigned them again on the "Kai" and "Rei".
The characters' personality are really interesting. Some are affected by their past and some from their surroundings. That's why they have this "killing intent".

Art/animation (10/10):
Art is really quite good. I mean, look at Rika's cute little face, especially when she says that "Nipah" thing. Same goes for Satoko.
Animation is really great. It really emphasizes the story also when someone kills the other.

Sound/Music (7/10):
The opening song fits the anime very well. It gives off the feeling and true expression of the anime. But somehow the ending, I really don't quite like it though. I didn't feel it through unlike the opening.

Overall (8/10):
This anime gave me shivers. Watching the killings and suspense all through out. This anime coudn't be anymore better!

.Sev
05-15-2009, 03:15 PM
The first 30 seconds gave me an idea of how creepy this anime would be. Sometimes I wonder how many people saw the first part and quit just because of that.
This anime has one of my favorite stories ever. The first four episodes of this series was one of the best anime expereinces of my life. I was literally on the edge of my seat. The other episode were still fantastic, but they dont got nothin on the first four.

Characters: (7/10)
In my opinion, the characters were average. They were fine for the story, but they didn:t really act any different than expected. But the characters that you knew nothing about were very mysterious. So I give them a seven.

Art/Animation: (7 1/2/10)
Not the best animation, But the death scenes were awesome!

Sound/Music: (8 1/2/10)
This series has one of the best themes I:ve ever heard. I don:t think theres another theme that would truly capture the feel of the series quite like this one does. The soundtrack also captures just the right feel as well. But I dont like the ending theme that much, but it still gets a ten.

This is one of my all time fav animes. Insane death scenes, a compelling story, and and an overall creepiness puts this anime at the top of my list. A must watch for horror fans, and anime fans in general. Even if you dont think you:d like this series, at least watch the first four episodes.

Eku
06-10-2009, 07:32 PM
Insane. Keeps you on the edge of your seat.

Characters: (9/10)
Great group of characters; each had something interesting to bring to the stroy.

Art/animation: (6/10)
Wasn't a fan of the animation.

Sound/Music: (10/10)
Beautiful OP/ED. The songs were eerie, and added to what you felt when watching Higurashi.

Great show. 5 stars.

under the rain
12-17-2010, 06:41 PM
Story: (7/10)
I almost want to give the story two separate ratings. One for the first season and one for the second season. They're very different. The first season is extremely creepy, and it very good at establishing tension, but everything seems flat and repetitive. Character goes insane, everyone dies. It's solid for a horror anime like Higurashi, but I feel it's a bit behind a lot of more complex anime in this regard. On the other hand, Hirurashi Kai is undoubtedly great. The tension we saw in the first season is all there, but the story starts to become three-dimensional. As the competing plans of Irie, Takano, and Rika clash we start to really see some really thrilling storytelling.

Characters: (7/10)
I'd like to say the same thing about the characters as the story. In the first season, the characters seem like little more than instruments of the madness. Again, this works for the what the series is, but it lacks anything particularly noteworthy. In the second season however, we encounter a cast of three-dimensional characters that you really care about.

Art/animation: (8/10)
A lot of people say the art in Higurashi is subpar, but I'll disagree. I think the interesting camera angles and art style really complement what the story is going for. While it gets lazy at times, I think it's still worth a look.

Sound/Music: (8/10)
The openings really fit the tone of the anime... Other than that there's nothing particularly noteworthy about the soundtrack. The voice acting is solid, especially Yukari Tamura's performance as Rika. The way she switches from innocent child to jaded, world-weary adult is flawless to say the last.

Overall: (7.5/10)
It's definitely worth a look if you're into horror anime. If you're going to watch it, you should definitely check out the quite superior second season, Higurashi Kai.

CoRRuPTioN GaRDeN
08-02-2011, 11:49 AM
The plot of the story is really interesting, and it kept me guessing.

All of the characters seemed to fit together. ^_^ I especially like how at the beginning of the series I thought Rena was someone sweet with no sins, but throughout the series that opinion morphed completely. (I'm just using Rena as an example. Tons of my character opinions changed during the series XP)

Art/animation: (8.5/10)
Some parts of the anime were in great detail and others weren't. I'm pretty sure other people have already said this. ^_^;;

Sound/Music: (9.5/10)
I actually really loved the music. I especially liked the opening - around the part where Eiko says "Nee, Onii~san" ("Hey, Mr.Demon"). I thought it fit perfee~ectly. And then, the ending seemed to depress me and relieve me at the same time. Honestly, I'm not that judgemental when it comes to accents. If the person who sang the ending wanted to try and do an English song, I have nothing against them - because I've tried to sing several Japanese songs. I actually sorta became attached to the ending :3

This series is amazing~ it gave me nightmares, made me paranoid, and made me afraid to eat onigiri. ^_^

Casanova0202
12-17-2012, 08:50 PM
Nice story .. .
Overall I'll rate it 9.0

Nunnally Vi Brittania
12-18-2012, 10:30 AM
STORY:
The plot of Higurashi No Nau Koro Ni is very confusing if you simply jump into a certain episode and just start watching(trust me I did it *sweatdrop*) It leaves you wondering about certain characters and the tention rising around the series. As it goes deeper into the anime, it starts to shift points of view and suddenly you're lost if you don't grasp the concept. Needless to say, I think we all know it deserves a well rounded 10/10. Seriously, you don't find a better plot than this one.
CHARACTERS:
The characters were what did it for me. The different mix of personalities worked like puzzle pieces. Where one character lacked a certain emotional feature, another character filled it in for them. And another character filled that open space, and so on. Many personalities lingered through the anime series, despite the slight shifts in attitude during some episodes and scenes. Other than that, a nice score of 9/10 fits them.
ART/ANIMATION:
Let me say one thing: Those eyes. Those eyes were what got me. I've gotta be honest, their eyes leave an impression on you after a while. One minute they're the cutest eyes in the world....but soon that changes as you keep watching. This feature may be the very reason why I gave it a 10/10. I saw no flaw in the animation itself, excluding the anatomy of the characters, however. But beggars can't be choosers, I say.
SOUND/MUSIC:
Leave it to creepy looming OST to set the mood of the anime straight, right? The opening theme always gets me. I adore the music throughout the whole anime. The background music definitely gets this category a 10/10
OVERALL:
Let's give a big hand for this anime, and why not a big fat 10/10? This anime struck me the minute I saw it. I think Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni deserves a thumbs up all the way from me.