PDA

View Full Version : AF gangs (because threads are boring me)

Buruku
01-24-2008, 01:47 PM
I was actually thinking about this before these banners started appearing, but has anyone ever felt the need to start like, a gang on the forum? I guess you could call them "clans" but I like the word gang more.

Maybe we should start gangs, but I'm trying to think of my own gimmick, and then I realized that my only gimmick is that I like pink. Is that all I am to you people!?

The reason I bring this up, is that in away the forum almost seems divided into little tribes anyway. We could form allies or strategize how to take down an enemy group.

Since I feel like I have to make a question driving this thread, the question is: If someone pulled it off, would you be interested in being in a gang, clan, tribe, band, etc?

(I could so see Capernicus starting some "gay gang")

Eris
01-24-2008, 01:52 PM
There was me, that is Eris, and my three droogs, that is Pete, Georgie
and Dim and we sat in the Miscellaneous Forum trying to make up our rassoodocks what
to do with the evening. The Miscellaneous Forum sold thread plus, thread plus vellocet or
synthemesc or drencrom, which is what we were posting. This would sharpen you
up and make you ready for a bit of the old ultra-violence.

Alternatively:
Eris: That's a mighty fine reputation you've got there Mr. Poster. Would sure be a shame if someone blitzed it down to red.
Henchman: Yeah, a reeaal shame.

sakura rukia
01-24-2008, 01:52 PM
i like to join the clan or gang.but i like to know what is this clan?i so what is the clan leader anime,mafia,something!i will join!

Hamashimura
01-24-2008, 01:57 PM
Who knows...if the wrong person is in clan,like spammer or something,we could easily have small clan-wars because of them...which would lead to flaming and spam in most of cases...
I kinda don't find that pretty effective...
We've started with forming a little AF families,which was ok with me...
Gang wouldn't be bad,but then we would have even more spams than we already have...
Dunno...catchy idea tho...Well we'll see reactions of other members...

Oh,and not to forget bad repping someone a*s out...
That will cause it,I'm sure of it...

Gjallarhorn
01-24-2008, 02:00 PM
There was me, that is Eris, and my three droogs, that is Pete, Georgie
and Dim and we sat in the Miscellaneous Forum trying to make up our rassoodocks what
to do with the evening. The Miscellaneous Forum sold thread plus, thread plus vellocet or
synthemesc or drencrom, which is what we were posting. This would sharpen you
up and make you ready for a bit of the old ultra-violence.
So is that a "yes", "no", "Good idea", or "bad idea"?

Anyway, sounds fun. But of course, that would imply that a good number of people get in on it. I could totally be a part of the Dai-Gurren-dan, or the Strawhat Pirates. (I call dibs on founding the Mugiwara Kaizoku).

Daenerys
01-24-2008, 02:01 PM
The only AF Gang you need to worry about is AG Corps. Founded in roughly 2001, lead by me and Ish (he's gone now...)...

Defintely something to be wary of.

Eris
01-24-2008, 02:03 PM
So is that a "yes", "no", "Good idea", or "bad idea"?

I like it. But what the rest of the forum needs to ask itself is: If I create this much of a ruckus now, alone, do you really want me to have minions?!

Red Phantoms
01-24-2008, 02:10 PM
well i can be interesting if its had a good way to manage a group or whatever it was. But it can be not so healthy if the gang war result on discrimination over the other. And it can goes bad if this affecting the real world. We came here to have Fun right -_-

Gjallarhorn
01-24-2008, 02:11 PM
I like it. But what the rest of the forum needs to ask itself is: If I create this much of a ruckus now, alone, do you really want me to have minions?!

I think it'd be worth watching out of the small window in the cellar as we huddle together with our families and watch your minions conquer the lands and squash those feeble-minded rebels.

Be sure to cover your exhaust port though. I've heard it doesn't do well with proton torpedoes.

overwatch
01-24-2008, 02:29 PM
hmm Its a good idea; especially if you follow through on the light RPG options such a system can open up. However it would be nice to devise the system such that it does not degenerate into a rep/flame war.
Possibly some overseer (mod/member) to approve of guilds - and then each gangs has to control thier members. That way we don't suddenly have 60 differnent gangs in 10 seconds all repping each other up and enemy gangs down ---

Khanxay
01-24-2008, 02:39 PM
I'd start a league of Pokemon trainers. Booya.

MysticEntity
01-24-2008, 02:40 PM
hmm Its a good idea; especially if you follow through on the light RPG options such a system can open up. However it would be nice to devise the system such that it does not degenerate into a rep/flame war.
Possibly some overseer (mod/member) to approve of guilds - and then each gangs has to control thier members. That way we don't suddenly have 60 differnent gangs in 10 seconds all repping each other up and enemy gangs down ---

Yeah. I agree. We don't wanna it to be messy. And I think we should make up a rule list so that no body goes overboard and violates another "gang", like a peace treaty or something.

Hamashimura
01-24-2008, 02:47 PM

Awesome...I would ask to join then =P
I find it highly interesting...

Red Phantoms
01-24-2008, 02:48 PM
if that so then Admin Will be a tyrant i mean you can obtain all if you had admin covrer your back since admin can change the rule though

Hamashimura
01-24-2008, 02:51 PM
if that so then Admin Will be a tyrant i mean you can obtain all if you had admin covrer your back since admin can change the rule though

Ummmm....what?
It could be wise to use "I", "," and "."
NOTE: this isn't meant to be offensive post,I've simply had a problem with understanding your statement...

Buruku
01-24-2008, 02:54 PM
lol right on.

Manhattan_Project_2000
01-24-2008, 02:56 PM

Oh noes! The neutrality of this hypothetical game is at stake! Save the children!

overwatch
01-24-2008, 02:59 PM
Oh noes! The neutrality of this hypothetical game is at stake! Save the children!

is that your way of volunteering to help run this :laugh:

Baka
01-24-2008, 02:59 PM
I want to be in a pink gang.

Red Phantoms
01-24-2008, 03:03 PM
Ummmm....what?
It could be wise to use "I", "," and "."
NOTE: this isn't meant to be offensive post,I've simply had a problem with understanding your statement...

sorry about that. Im in still in the midle of something so sometimes I made a mistake. lol

well as long as its works well then count me in

Manhattan_Project_2000
01-24-2008, 03:05 PM
is that your way of volunteering to help run this :laugh:

Not really, but I'm not really opposed to it either. If someone comes up with a llist of rules, maybe.

overwatch
01-24-2008, 03:09 PM
hmm not really sure how this could be run - one system I have encountered like this had a separate subforum for all the gang play - with gang having thier own subforum withing that.
Here I suppose each gang would have thier own thread - but you cannot do to much save recrute with a single thread

Sanosuke23
01-24-2008, 03:10 PM
You know what this vaguely sounds like? A forum version of Billy vs. SNAKEMAN.

That isn't necessarily a good thing, or a bad thing.

The only AF Gang you need to worry about is AG Corps. Founded in roughly 2001, lead by me and Ish (he's gone now...)...

Defintely something to be wary of.

I insist on assuming the mantle of command as both his Bizarro self and the father of his children.

Raidou Kuzunoha
01-24-2008, 03:10 PM
It's a good idea and I'm not opposed to it either, but a set of rules would be needed so it wouldn't turn into a flame/rep war like others have said.

Although even with a set of rules, there will be flame/rep wars.

overwatch
01-24-2008, 03:14 PM
well if the guilds get support from the mods then I suggest that any starting of a flame war/rep war and those involved get - say - a 1 week ban.
Also, considering how this will work out- I;d say one person may only be a member of one gang at a time - and that is to be noted in their sig.
Further, each guild has to have a designated leader of the gang - they are responcible for keeping their members in line

Buruku
01-24-2008, 03:21 PM
well if the guilds get support from the mods then I suggest that any starting of a flame war/rep war and those involved get - say - a 1 week ban.

Yeah, the point of this wouldn't be to cause more chaos and spam around the board. Really what I envisioned was just some haremless fun or something to keep things interesting, lots of forums have gimmicks that are fun for awhile and eventually fade away.

People abuse the rep system already, so I don't see why a rep war would be cause for a ban. If you wanted to start something like that then you'd just better be prepared to be repped back.

MissChelly
01-24-2008, 03:23 PM
Oooh, I want to be in the Bloods- I look good in red!
Oh wait... wrong type of gang there, huh?

A pink gang does sound interesting however... either that or something in relation to the great being that is Cthulhu. teehee.

overwatch
01-24-2008, 03:25 PM
Yeah, the point of this wouldn't be to cause more chaos and spam around the board. Really what I envisioned was just some haremless fun or something to keep things interesting, lots of forums have gimmicks that are fun for awhile and eventually fade away.

People abuse the rep system already, so I don't see why a rep war would be cause for a ban. If you wanted to start something like that then you'd just better be prepared to be repped back.

yah Its a bit extreme - but some sort of master threat just to keep things in line a little - - some others might be thought of - like being removed from your gang (or if the whole gang is into it - removal of hte gang)

MysticEntity
01-24-2008, 03:27 PM
I;d say one person may only be a member of one gang at a time

That's the thing. I think people should stick to their gangs. They are either kicked out or they'd need a legitimate reason to leave.

Hamashimura
01-24-2008, 03:28 PM

Hmmm...I agree...
Now this is stupid idea,but perhaps for that we could get separate place,like the Pay to Post one,with a bit changed rules...
I know,I know,may sound stupid but that may work...
That way we should't worry too much for spam,because the rules would be atleast a bit lighter...

overwatch
01-24-2008, 03:30 PM
its a good idea Hamashimura however a separate forum to mod is a burden on the mods - and unless they went along with the idea - and one of them was prepared to mods the section (or a trusted member was promoted to mod status for this section) then it could become a reality.

Hamashimura
01-24-2008, 03:36 PM
Yeah I know...chances are really small...
But the least thing we can do if we're serious about it,is to ask...

overwatch
01-24-2008, 03:39 PM
well technicall it would be an extension of the RPG system; but with slightly laxer rules.

Buruku
01-24-2008, 03:47 PM
It's not a stupid idea, just not practical. You can't expect the admins to change the forum around for something that's not even guaranteed to last long. Also, a seperate part of the forum might seem cool at first, but it would most likely end up without enough activity and go down fast.

Don't put quite so much thought into it. If you want it to happen, then put your heads together with some of your close friends and figure out what you want to do and make up some little rules. As long as you're not breaking the rules of the board, you'll be fine.

Things tend to spread once someone actually does something, and then one thing leads to another and more people will want to join etc. I don't have any authority or means to try to make something "official" I'm just an instigator.

In short, If you like the idea start out simple and see where it goes. Just don't break any rules.

overwatch
01-24-2008, 03:50 PM
well I think one of the first things would be to get a list of people willing to run gangs. That would give us an idea of how many people are willing to take part as a leader. Also it would let those thinking of joining gangs a chance to see what is availble for joining - since you can only be a member of one at a time.
=edit: and to prevent a host of new guilds, possibly attach criteria for gang leaders - such as a minimum post count - we need leaders to be known regular and dependable members/

Opinionated
01-24-2008, 06:38 PM
I call dibs on starting the Cthulhu Cult, AF Chapter.

You get to wear robes and say funny words and make sacrifices. A few people go insane. And never drink anything the Shub-Niggurauth worshippers give you, especially if it tastes funny. But, it's not all bad. Those Azathoth worshippers sure make a cool band. And Nyarlathotep's not that bad, if he shows up in a form that doesn't cause mental death on sight. And never say Hastur's name three times in a row.

MissChelly
01-24-2008, 06:51 PM
Ooooh... Cthulhu cult. *googly eyes* Who WOULDN'T want to join that cult? C'mon... sure, you could be driven mad, but that's about it really. *shrug* ...well, also the possibility of being led into some sort of mass suicide, but yeah... that's just fine print.

Buruku
01-24-2008, 07:00 PM
A clan with Maru and myself is in development. Well see where this goes...

Flah Blah
01-24-2008, 07:20 PM
05' being my favourite generation and probably was my most active apart from now would be a pretty hardcore gang.

Class of 2005, yo.
"We roll mad deep."
Retrospectively...we were like the 90s era of the 2000s (or generation X of AF). I'm seeing mini sub-groups of this with Backstreet Boys, Final Fantasy (possibly...), Mortal Combat, Beanie Babies, Fresh Prince of Bel Air, CRYSTAL PEPSI, the involvement of GRUNGE signatures... etc etc.

Just a thought.

Jose
01-24-2008, 07:29 PM
if this does happen will just one be able to say hey i want a clan and start one up or would it be better to make these offical like have to be approved by a staff member you know almost like a guard club

MissBunBun
01-24-2008, 07:43 PM
I remember when i started the Candy Pirate crew.
I remember it was me, maru, Gandizzl, Wonderwice, gordy, Music Fiend, And some others
We were named after our favorite candies lol

cat21333
01-25-2008, 05:04 PM
I think gangs would be ok. There would have to be certain rules for being in a gang though.

Who knows...if the wrong person is in clan,like spammer or something,we could easily have small clan-wars because of them...which would lead to flaming and spam in most of cases...
I kinda don't find that pretty effective...

I understand what you mean. For things like this there would be a group leader. He/She would have to keep peace between their group and another group. And to kick a member out of a group the leader and most of the members within the group could decide to kick the member out of the group by voting. Then to keep people from kicking people out of a group just to be mean, they would have to send a request to the forums admins after the voting with a reason why they want the member kicked out. The admins would look at the request and determine if the reason is good enough and if it is true. And they would finalize the removal of the member or deny the request.

Souhi
01-25-2008, 05:29 PM
I could totally be a part of the Dai-Gurren-dan, or the Strawhat Pirates. (I call dibs on founding the Mugiwara Kaizoku).

You had me at Dai-Gurren-dan.

I always thought there were these little groups around AF anyway. I'm all for the idea. I can think of a few people off the top of my head who'd be interested.

Kawairashii hikari
01-25-2008, 06:35 PM
This sounds like it could be some fun!! ^__^ I'd do it. lol. Miss.Bun.Bun. your crew sounded cute. haha.

Perpetual Specter
01-25-2008, 07:43 PM
Yeah.This does sound kind of interesting now that I think about.It sounds kind of fun too.^^I'd probably participate.Not sure exactly what I'd do though.^^;

DOOM!
01-26-2008, 05:12 AM
It was at the derelict P2P Forum that we came across -Deadpool- and his four droogs.
They were getting ready to perform a little bit of the old "quote-flame, quote-flame" on a weepy young devotchka they had there.
- Ho, ho, ho! Well, if it isn't big, fat, stinking billy goat Deadpool in poison. How are thou, thou globby bottle of cheap stnking chip oil? Come and get one in the yarbles... if you have any yarbles, you eunuch jelly, thou.

███
01-26-2008, 06:27 AM
What about "The Immortal Turds"?

Azel
01-26-2008, 05:27 PM
No; These alliances or "gangs", as you like to call them would lead to the downfall of AF. Just like gangs in society soon there would be heated conflict between two prominent groups of extreme nerds who never see daylight (contrary to black crackheads with high amounts of ammunition) known as "The West Side Otakus" and "The North Side Weeaboos." Soon people would be threatening to "pop a cap in yo ***" or as us af members do, give you a bad rep. This would mean a green bar went down in stature and therefore your gang had less importance, when in actuality you needed to find more to do in your life then post 10,52 messages on a board about why Naruto sucks while playing 70 hours nonstop of Halo 3. Many lives would be lost and havock wreacked in "ghettos" or a forum full of people that spend way to much time on the internet stubbornly arguing over pointless things. It would be a bloodbath...an outright bloodbath. Well actually, not really a bloodbath, it would just mean a lot of people with slowly declining self-esteem would cry and some "n00bs" would threaten to kill themselves but wouldn't have the guts to do it so would just go back to whining about Inuyasha. In the end, nothing all that important would not really make an impact on anyone of that much significance.

Sanosuke23
01-26-2008, 05:39 PM
What Azel said, minus the borderline insane ramblings.

Really, all it would end up doing is dividing the site. You wanna form a "gang" and be all cliquish, put it in your sig/title/whatever.

Guerrera
01-26-2008, 06:06 PM
Azel and Sanosuke have a point. And yet, the site is already divided, guys. We can't fix or eliminate snobbery no matter how we look at it.

We already have families, but gang sounds a little cooler. I'm up for it as long as someone jots down some rules.

I'm gettin' ideas already!

overwatch
01-26-2008, 06:39 PM

And to be honest at this stage, to see any further development of this idea we really need the mods to sound thier views to the plans. We, as members, can make up our own rules and there are those here who will follow those rules; however it would be foolish to even suppose that all would follow the rules of the game; Thus the mods are needed to be the final say in such matterst - needed to enforce the rules just as they are in the normal fourm actions. If they are prepared to do this then I can see this taking hold -- if not then this will probably go the same way as families - - not a bad thing, but a shame none the less

Marshmallow Fluff
01-26-2008, 07:26 PM
I think it'd be rather fun, being in a pink gang.

As long as there are rules.

-akichan-
01-26-2008, 08:21 PM
I was already in a gang on AF when i first joined 3 years ago. I was with the people who i first became friends with, and they all know that i'm here talking about them. =] This group will not be gone.

Lune Cy
01-26-2008, 08:34 PM
wont work...too many kids...bored people and such...and if you leave those people out of it..it will be discrimination..<.< >.>
instead of makin a fam...call it a gang...no harm done that way then...only when Kaitou Ace and Princess Minako agree to make it all happen then it will work otherwise...i dont see it happen

Masali
01-26-2008, 11:27 PM
As always, organization with this kind of stuff is always a problem.

As for the "tribes" people run in...seeing as how Deadpool, my partner in crime, is waning in activity I should start running with a new "crew", so to speak. (I'm so gangster, I know)

Daenerys
01-27-2008, 02:09 AM
i love the quotations around the gangsta words.

Masali. I hereby recruit you for the MARRP program.

Eris
01-27-2008, 03:39 AM
No; These alliances or "gangs", as you like to call them would lead to the downfall of AF.

But organized crime in society is a symptom of a market that does not satisfy everyone's needs (most often by criminalizing drugs). They only threaten society if society itself is terminally ill.

Aya_Strawberrie ♥
01-27-2008, 06:05 AM
I like to join a gang..
But if the gang is good... =D

Fabala
01-27-2008, 08:05 AM
Meh. I'm already a member (and founder) of the "Wives" including Aies, Muffin, and Myrra. That's enough for me.

DOOM!
01-27-2008, 09:51 AM
Meh. I'm already a member (and founder) of the "Wives" including Aies, Muffin, and Myrra. That's enough for me.
This remindes me, there's a group of unemployed obstreticians on AF that beat you at it. They call themselves "Desperate Midwives"

Sharingan Warrior 91
01-27-2008, 10:21 AM
I have a guild or a clan. Am the leader of a clan. It s called MIRAAL. My fiends Loboraca and Eternal Darknes are leaders too. If enyone wanna join talk to me!:) :p :D ;)

Azel
01-27-2008, 11:23 PM
But organized crime in society is a symptom of a market that does not satisfy everyone's needs (most often by criminalizing drugs). They only threaten society if society itself is terminally ill.

Yes, but what you cease to realize is that AF really can't get any lower. (At least from what I've seen).

Sanosuke23
01-27-2008, 11:37 PM
Yes, but what you cease to realize is that AF really can't get any lower. (At least from what I've seen).

Then you are more than welcome to leave, good sir or madam.

Fabala
01-28-2008, 12:26 AM

And this is based on...?

Ωmega
01-28-2008, 10:35 AM
I remember when i started the Candy Pirate crew.
I remember it was me, maru, Gandizzl, Wonderwice, gordy, Music Fiend, And some others
We were named after our favorite candies lol
Ha! I remember that. I was "Whatchamacallit Maru"

Not to mention, there was the UA gang involving several graphic designers. Of course, both gangs kinda fell to the way side since there was really no gang activities or rules [besides the UA standards to get accepted]

Im all up for it :D [btw, the MSN in my profile works, hit me up there].

But of course, a "code" needs to be set into place, as well as requirements to be able to enter. I'd also like [in an ideal world]to have new recruits be 'initiated' into the gang. I dunno...like maybe have them go find something, kinda like the AF scavenger hunt.

In order to keep the gang alive, weekly activities would need to take place. Perhaps something along the lines of "recruit members" or "spy on other gangs". Of course, the latter would be under the assumption that people are mature and dont feel the need to start flame wars over simple fun. UA never had a problem with the rest of the graphic community.

As for space...thats a tricky one. The only thing I can think of as far as forum space is to start up a petition like Ai did for her poetry section. I would suggest another forum started by one of the members for our little "outside AF fun" but I remember Capo tried that and it didnt really work...I believe Brookie did one too o_O

However, if we had a good haul of members wanting this, both options would be possible.

-Kitsune-
01-28-2008, 04:59 PM
Finally had the time to read through all three pages of this. My opinion is that it would be pretty fun, especially since we already have our little AF cilques around here, but I just don't see it happening. It seems like it would just lead to flame wars, bad reps, and the other stuff that people have already mentioned. A lot of people around here are already in unofficial gangs based on their AF generation, the friends they made around here, and stuff like that so why don't we just leave it at that? And even if we were to get gangs together, I think people will be starting up gangs all over the place so we'd wind up with 50 gangs with only about 1-5 members each, since a lot of members want their own special gang instead of joining someone elses. Besides, I don't think many of the mods would like to introduce "gangs" on their site =/

If we were to start these up, we'd need a strict set of rules to keep everything in order. However, some members are a little disgruntled about the rules as they stand, saying they are too strict. It could lead to loss of new members, but the idea of a site with gangs could lead to other people joining up. It could really go either way.

However, if we were to really run with this and get it going, I'd love to join one. Maybe GaMeGoD's pokemon breeder gang or one with my main friends here at AF ^.^

overwatch
01-28-2008, 05:39 PM
Well I pmed this to Maru - but I think I might as well post it up for all to see:
this is a gang like system (called guilds in this case) on another site an how they run it: Key for this system was that it was a separate section of the site - with its own rules.

http://www.thefantasyforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=252