PDA

View Full Version : need help for some translation!

shinsanagi
01-22-2008, 04:25 PM
Hi!
I'm new to this forum, and I came here because I need a bit a help! I've been trying to translate a japanese manga, and there are two words that I can't seem to find a good translation for. I mean, I don't even know what they actually mean....
Ok, so the context is :
- GirlA is panicking over some heart-business (she is the "completely-oblivious-about-love type"),
- GirlB (GirlA's sarcastic best friend) gives her some (obvious) advice, and GirlA's like "ooh, I should do that...?"

- And GirlB is saying :
"おうとも ...ナルヘロ..."

And I've no idea what she means. By pure instinct I would say it could mean something like "I see... that's how it is..." but really it's only a guess...

Does anyone know what these mean?? I've seen them used in some japanese blogs but I can never seem to grab the meaning from it.

Thanks !

AzureDark
01-22-2008, 06:09 PM
It seems to me that there's something before おうとも because that's a verb form...

A scan would help?

tetekmakhang
01-23-2008, 02:35 AM
no idea about おうとも. we'll need the scan for that.

but for ナルヘロ, i think its supposed to be なるほど.
did she have her mouth full or a cold something?
the reason i think its supposed to be なるほど is that ナルヘロ was written in katakana so that means its just a sound and the word ナルヘロ itself has no meaning. like if i had a cold i'd be saying "happy dew dear", which makes no sense, instead of "happy new year".
get what i mean?

shinsanagi
01-23-2008, 06:07 AM
tetekmakhang> she doesn't seem to be eating anything, she's not ill either. From the rest of the manga, I'd say she has some sort of regional dialect, like kansai-ben, but I don't know hers. I would say it comes from north of Tokyo like the Ibaragi prefecture, but I'm not sure...

Anyway, you'll find the scan here :
http://img210.imageshack.us/my.php?image=086yr2.jpg

If it doesn't work here's part of the dialogue :

GirlB :
でも栗子、それが恋ってやつよ!
っていうか、それこそ恋の醍醐味じゃない。
悩んでないでもっと普通に楽しめばいいのよ

GirlA :
。。。ふつうにたのしむ

GirlB :
おうとも
。。。ナルヘロ。。。

Thanks for your help!!

tetekmakhang
01-23-2008, 07:08 AM
i'm gonna stick my neck out (eventhough i'm only 70% sure lol) but i think:

1. おうとも --> そうと思う (mumbling)
2. ナルヘロ --> なるほど (mumbling too)
3. its girlA who says ナルヘロ

so after the lecture that girlB gives to girlA about love, girl A finally comprehends.

girlA: so i must enjoy myself then...
girlB: thats what i think
girlA: i see

shinsanagi
01-23-2008, 04:28 PM
Thanks!
I don't know why it never occured to me that it could be GirlA speaking there =_=, I suppose when you start thinking in a way, it's difficult to change your perception...

Anyway, I think you may be right, I had arrived to the same conclusion for ナルヘロ at least. Concerning おうとも, it would make sense, so I may stick to your translation ^_^

Thanks a lot for your help !!