PDA

View Full Version : Help learning Japanese

animedirtbag
01-21-2008, 05:15 PM
Hey. I know there's a few of these threads around the forum, but I would really like some help.

I've been trying to learn Japanese for over a year now (I think it's been two...>_>) but I've only started to get decent within the past few months.

I'm working on going through the JLPT grammar and Kanji with my blog (That hasn't been updated in a while >_>)

http://animedirtbag.blogspot.com/

Is there another way that I could use to get better? Or do you have any tips to help me out? Any feedback would be apprecited!

どもうありがとうございます!
じゃあまたね!

MistressPookyChan
01-22-2008, 07:30 AM
blogging/writing a diary is fantastic. Don't forget to include listening and speaking! How about a daily audio blog?

animedirtbag
01-22-2008, 04:33 PM
Wow. I never thought of that...

^_^ That really sound like a good idea! Thanks!

Rinoa Iam
01-23-2008, 08:31 PM
If you have the motivation, you will get better!! Ha ha, sorry, that was lame. I am currently working on a thesis about motivation in students learning Japanese. >_<

At any rate, I would say what you are doing right now is fantastic! Use Japanese as much as you can. One thing that I did when I first started learning was to get my hands on some computer programs (things kinda like.... I dunno.... Rosetta Stone or something...). After that became easy, I tracked down college textbooks. You just need to be dedicated and work on it a whole lot!

It also helps to have someone native to talk to. And to get enrolled in a formal class someday (maybe in college, at a university, or community college when you are ready for it). You are off to a good start, though. And don't be bashful about using it!! Especially when people are here to help you. ^_^

animedirtbag
01-25-2008, 05:54 PM
^_^ Thanks. I'm actually (Hopefully...>_>) Dual Majoring in Japanese and Art at Berea if I can get accepted. I'll probably study abroad in Japan too, which is a motivator to get me learning.

LavaBug
01-25-2008, 06:53 PM
If you wan't to study in Japan but you do not like massloads of people
- don't go to tokyo (believe me) ^^°

MistressPookyChan
01-26-2008, 06:42 AM
heeeeey, nothing wrong with massloads of people! ;)

LavaBug
01-26-2008, 07:31 AM
...except when they all have a cold, drag themselves to work and never ever, hold their mouth when they sneeze or cough -_-

Chocobo
01-26-2008, 11:13 PM
Well, I'm taking Japanese II right now in high school, and have typed up to chapter 5 in my Japanese I book. Maybe I could team up with you animedirtbag...

Rinoa Iam
01-27-2008, 06:45 PM
I think studying abroad is the best thing for learning the language! I've only been able to do short-term study abroads (like for 2 months!). Good luck with that ! I hope it all plays out for you, animedirtbag!

animedirtbag
01-27-2008, 08:03 PM
^_^ Thanks. I'm working on translating some manga, hoping that will help... (It's so difficult! Half the time, I don't even know if it's right until I stumble upon a new definition with something I forgot, then it all makes sence...)

Anyways, thanks for posting ^_^

gaaraismine
01-27-2008, 09:03 PM
http://http://www.genkienglish.net/genkijapan/menu.htm

ZeianStar
02-09-2008, 03:07 PM
I need to know japanese so I can understand some japanese games.

Ongakutize_me_Captain
02-23-2008, 09:14 PM
I see alotta other people wanna learn japanese too.
http://www.freewebs.com/onlinelessondirectory/language.html
Here's what I've found

BokuNoAiken
03-02-2008, 07:07 PM
If you don't get accepted to Berea, University of Iowa is a public university that offers a BA in Japanese, and it's a "Public Ivy". It's not all that expensive either, like $7000 for me...

Youko, The Yumei Kitsune
03-15-2008, 02:31 AM
I've been interested in learning japanese for a while now, and my college doesnt offer it. I've bought plenty of books, however i dont seem to catch on too easily. I'm just wondering if anyone one out there knows any good sites for learning Japanese? AND FREE

Maroko
03-15-2008, 08:52 PM
I think that reading is a good way to improve your japanese. I've done it during the last three months and my vocabulary has increased considerably, besides you can learn kanjis while reading, for me this is the best way.

There's a site specially made for people who want to learn to read japanese, it is very good because as you read you can click the words you don't know, and the meaning is showed in the left side, also the difficulty level increase as you keep on reading.

Search on google: "japanese reading", and enter the first result that says "Reading Tutor Home Page"
Choose the link "Reading Resource Bank", and then the one that says "Reading Materials English" (the other options are german and japanese).

Now you can start reading the first part which is the link: 日本語での生活

Here's the adress: language.tiu.ac.jp/index

Hope you have fun!!!

MoroDashi
03-31-2008, 06:24 PM
Hey. I know there's a few of these threads around the forum, but I would really like some help.

I've been trying to learn Japanese for over a year now (I think it's been two...>_>) but I've only started to get decent within the past few months.

I'm working on going through the JLPT grammar and Kanji with my blog (That hasn't been updated in a while >_>)

http://animedirtbag.blogspot.com/

Is there another way that I could use to get better? Or do you have any tips to help me out? Any feedback would be apprecited!

どもうありがとうございます!
じゃあまたね!

I can help with manners and some simple words:
Ok/yes: Hi (prounounced as a dragged "hi!" for ok and hi for yes.)
Arigato: thanks
arigato ga zay mas: thank you very much
Kawaii: Cute
Tsubasa: Wings -lol-
kitto: sure/im sure of it.
koi-ee-shi-dei-ru: Im in love (prounounce together lol)
hisomi powa: my power lies withen (LOL)
shi-din-shi-ru: and with that (together again lol)
ok-de-sa-rei: theres nothing i cant do (together lol)
oi-ree-rei-ru-dun-oh candee: love is like candy (Hah lol)
Konichiwwa: hi
Lol thats about what know.. I'll update back when i know more!
C yu!

VraieEsprit
04-01-2008, 05:39 AM
Going to Japan is definitely the best way to learn Japanese. Not that I have, but one of my current classmates spent 2 years there and from speaking none before she went she's now pretty fluent. She's a big help to me too :)

I wish I had the opportunity and funds to go back to college and do languages like I wanted to originally...bleh. In the absence of that option, I think it's just a case of immersing yourself in as much Japanese as possible. Translating stuff, listening to stuff, reading stuff...is all really good. And having a teacher as a stopgap measure is helpful too but imo it's largely down to your own effort that will affect your progress.

Since you're putting a lot in, you'll probably get a lot out!

Vraie

akaibara
04-03-2008, 12:47 PM
Hey, you could try reading these short stories and listening to the audio books that go with them. It'll help with reading, vocab, grammar, AND listening. Pick an easier one(like little red riding hood) and use the rikaichan add-on for FireFox as a pop-up dictionary. Some of the stories have translations too, so you can compare for anything you don't understand.

Here's the link http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=6241&PN=1
Don't stress out if you can't find a definition for every word, as long as you understand what's being said.

And if you haven't heard of it, check out this grammar site http://www.guidetojapanese.org/
Grammar is, in a way, more important than vocab, because at least you can look up vocab in a dictionary.

ZeianStar
04-05-2008, 01:36 PM
I've been diying to learn japanese.