PDA

View Full Version : When do you say you've beat an open-ended game?

Ridana
01-18-2008, 10:03 PM
Another thread made me think of this. How do you qualify "beating" an open-ended game like Oblivion, or Sims, or Animal Crossing, or any number of MMOs?

Is it "beaten" when you've completed the main storyline (assuming there is one)? Or is it only beaten when you've attained the highest rank, acquired every item, mastered every skill, or by any other measure reached 100% completion?

Ball Tripper
01-18-2008, 10:10 PM
It's subjective, when you've accomplished whatever it is you wanted to thats it. I used to play WoW for the pve. I wouldn't say I'd beaten it untill I've killed Illidan.

Asriel
01-18-2008, 11:14 PM
Well for a game like Disgaea 1 and 2,I would say i haven't beaten it until i've played all the multiple endings,gotten all main/side chracters i could get,and beat all the bosses and extra bosses including Uber Prinny Baal.Also not until i've gotten to level 9999 and reincarnated at least once and got back up to level 9999 and maybe reincarnated again.After that,i'm done with the game.

Ball Tripper
01-18-2008, 11:38 PM
Wow you're a stat junkie. I played through like 3 of the endings in disgaea 1, got all my characters to lvl 500ish before I quit.

rf switch
01-19-2008, 01:29 AM
When I've beat the main story..I could careless if i complete every side quest or collect/unlock everything...Doing all of that usually gets a little tedious so most of the time I don't worry about it.

If its a game with multiple endings then i've beaten it when I get an ending. Because even though theres 6 or 7 different endings I technically beat it by getting one of them.

Ball Tripper
01-19-2008, 01:34 AM
Yea the only game that I have ever worried about getting more than one ending too was ffx-2. Just because if you don't get 100% completion yuna never finds tidus in the end.

Oldfashionednutter
01-27-2008, 01:44 AM
You know you've beaten GTA: san andreas when you pull off a Forrest Gump and run...
Across the whole state... twice.
You have finished it when you run out of stuff to to.

~*Red*~
01-27-2008, 02:04 AM
I like that one :laugh:

I usually finish GTA: San Andreas when I've done the main storyline and all of the missions, then I go off and do the side missions just for fun.

Opinionated
01-27-2008, 01:02 PM
You win an open ended game by having fun, thus when you've had all the fun you can, you've won. End of story.

Raidou Kuzunoha
01-27-2008, 01:13 PM
It depends if I really like the game or not.

If I enjoyed the game, then I'll try to beat it until there is nothing left to do in it. If I wasn't too thrilled about it, then I would only beat it once without caring much for the sidequests or extras.

Aizmov
01-27-2008, 01:27 PM
Well for a game like Disgaea 1 and 2,I would say i haven't beaten it until i've played all the multiple endings,gotten all main/side chracters i could get,and beat all the bosses and extra bosses including Uber Prinny Baal.Also not until i've gotten to level 9999 and reincarnated at least once and got back up to level 9999 and maybe reincarnated again.After that,i'm done with the game.

Wow I'm glad I just finished Disgaea 1 and 2 once. I don't have the time to go through any game more than once!

Golden State Warrior
01-27-2008, 02:02 PM
For Oblivion, I'd say beating the game would be finishing all of the available quests. For a game like World of Warcraft, I will probably never beat the game, until they stop updating the game with new quests.

In short, in order to beat an open-ended game, I need to complete all of the quests. Doing that gives me the sense of completion.

jewel2sparkle
01-27-2008, 02:06 PM
I usually don't say I've beaten an open ended game.

Saiyuko
01-28-2008, 01:11 PM
Wow, that's a toughie.

You can't really say you've beaten it.Well, maybe when you're completely satisfied with what you've done in the game, you can finally say "I've beaten this game." or somethin like that.

StabWound
01-28-2008, 04:42 PM
When you see the credits screen.

Sanosuke23
01-28-2008, 08:14 PM
When I have found new and creative ways to get myself killed.

I will not consider WoW complete until I collect the heads of Illidan, Arthas, and every racial leader from both factions.

blackrosetwilight
01-30-2008, 11:13 PM
when you cant pay for the monthly fee anymore is when you know you've beaten it and its time to stop

Sanosuke23
01-30-2008, 11:18 PM
What if there's no monthly fee? OH GOD IT NEVER ENDS

blackrosetwilight
01-30-2008, 11:33 PM
What if there's no monthly fee? OH GOD IT NEVER ENDS
ok then if you gained 10+ pounds over the course of one month since you started the game then you should considered the game beaten and start a new one called "The Diet Game"