PDA

View Full Version : NOTICE!!!! Please Read and Reply!

Daenerys
01-18-2008, 02:42 PM
I've been on the 'go' more and more lately and rather than leave the forums to the ravage dogs, I've been checking it out on my Sidekick. Now the mobile browser sucks. I cannot highlight text and the moderator functions are iffy.

So I have been stressing the whole, 'Don't post in obnoxious font colors' thing for awhile now... But now its important that you DO NOT post in any font colors aside from the default. I know you feel you must express yourself in color and your stories and poems 'NEED' extra expression...

But in reality you do not need it. If you are an excellent poet or writer you don't need extra colors or italics and what have you. Personally I've also been saying this for awhile but if you need to make your stories or poems large with lots of bold and italic crap then you probably aren't that great of one to begin with.

Not to insult anyone, but honestly you don't need to decorate a christmas tree to make it look pretty. The smell and visuals should be enough. Think of it like nature. Its gorgeous without a bunch of houses lining the streets.

A poem or a story should be so amazing that you can visualize things without having to strain to read the words behind an obnoxious font color.

I do understand italics and bold in certain parts of a story. Like bold is the actions or a word being shouted or emphasised. Italics are thought or dialog... I've seen all of these used correctly I'm merely refering to an entire story in 16 point font bright green or white in bold underline italics.

K.

K?

Fabala
01-18-2008, 06:59 PM
And, frankly, it's usually easier on the eyes without all of that ^^

I know I used the occasion bolded or italicized word, but only to stress that word. And it's rare because, in my opinion, their impact is all the greater used sparingly.

Daenerys
01-18-2008, 07:42 PM
Yeah, that's also why I use caps a lot.

Like READ this and REPLY. .. .. I'm just too lazy to type out the code. Hehehe

Daenerys
01-20-2008, 02:10 PM
30 views and one reply. :(

darkjester
01-20-2008, 02:17 PM
My eyes hurt when I have to read in a strange color that clashes badly with the background color (it's bad enough another forum I visit has a black background and some people use a dark dark purple color).

Daenerys
01-20-2008, 08:10 PM
:D thank you for replying!

That's my main thing. This is a forum that depends solely on people reading. Yellow on white, white on white... dark purple on dark blue...

Hurts. A lot. :(

Ωmega
01-20-2008, 08:15 PM
I know what you mean, I get that sometimes. Though I use "Im Blue" and Ive really only seen problems with the dark red and black...though I would bet that dark blue and green would be horrible too, just havent seen them yet >_>

Hypergraphian
01-20-2008, 08:44 PM
I am going to demonstrate how annoying it can get :-

Don't Post in Weird Colors

~~**Don't Post in Weird Colors**~~

Basically, its not cool. Also FYI, whenever I see someone post in a font or color I can't read, I don't bother with it anyway.

Daenerys
01-20-2008, 11:18 PM
That's why I keep yelling at people, they're really not helping themselves...

But yeah that pale pink... oh gawd.

CrimsonMoon
01-21-2008, 12:23 AM
Well, that doesn't apply to me, right? I use default font and colour so it's yellow. Anyway, I can't change it even if I want to since I'm using my cell. I admit it gets annoying when I read dark coloured fonts. Especially when I read fics.

Fabala
01-21-2008, 05:27 AM
There's a different default font color depending on what skin a user happens to have set. Specific to that color scheme. So while, say, yellow may look great to you, it may clash on another skin's theme. Best to stick with default colors while in this forum, I say.

Daenerys
01-21-2008, 08:33 AM
yeah, some kids got all mad because they were using yellow on the yellow texted default theme.. it's two different kinds of yellow, bright yellow hurted. :(

Sanosuke23
01-28-2008, 10:42 PM
EDIT: I somehow missed that whole part about "emphasis okay, but not the whole thing." I'm going to blame "putting down the PSP to do something work-related and forgetting I didn't read the whole post," because the only logical alternative is illiteracy.

Daenerys
01-28-2008, 11:47 PM
Did you read the whole thread?

I added that in there because people will post entire stories in both, and it's obnoxious.

I really don't see why people make a big fuss, it's been like this forever.

xling
02-01-2008, 12:20 PM
I agree fully. When I used to be a frequent forumer, I dislike having to read writings that has an unnecessary ginormous font. It stretches out the page and scrolling to fully read what they have to say gets kinda annoying.

I have a question about the fanfiction in general...I've read through the rules and though this may only bother me as a person, but maybe it doesn't for others...I'm just putting it out there. I don't mean to be mean or offend anybody but...when it comes down to fanfiction format, there a few handful or people that write out their stories like plays. Only using dialogues and not actually putting down narration details.

I don't know if someone brought this up yet, or maybe it's not even worth mentioning but if stories are written like that, a person can't fully appreciate the plot line. Emotions can't be truly expressive as it could be from the lack of narration.

I haven't view the fanfiction section fully so I don't know if there are stories like that or not...but it's just a thought.

I hope I didn't offend anybody, because I really didn't mean to.

Capernicus
02-01-2008, 12:53 PM
yea becz typ liek dis is dam annyin to red and its teh suxors rite hahahaha roflmao

I was going to make all that in 1 font size and underlined, but I just realized that that would probably be both annoying to Ai and redundant. Things look better uniform anyway.

kuraixtenshi
02-01-2008, 01:53 PM
I hate it when people do that! The bright colors is so annoying. And it's even worse when they use what Capericus did. That just makes it impossible to understand.

mythroch
02-04-2008, 09:53 PM
this is viewer 176 replying in the 18th box....kind a sad really

but i understand and will obey coach.
now i can understand people changing size and style of a text in a short comment on other threads, since some of those threads are a bit heated and you REALLY have to get your point across....but changing colours?
Really, yellow is the most visible colour on the dark blue background.

a better suggestion would be to preview it in 'go advanced' and use spaces and hard returns to spread out the text so that it isn't in tight boxes, that are hard to read accurately.
thats the best way to make it legible and ensure people will read it.

Ichiro Matsuchani
02-04-2008, 10:06 PM
now i can understand people changing size and style of a text in a short comment on other threads, since some of those threads are a bit heated and you REALLY have to get your point across....but changing colours?
Really, yellow is the most visible colour on the dark blue background.It actually depends on the background that one is using, seeing as we have a few differently colored backgrounds. Some of those colors are quite hard to read on ANY background, and a few of them are just a pain on the eyes. But yeah, it seems that yellow works well with most of them.

P.S. It's nice to see that someone is reading this. o_O

Jose
02-04-2008, 11:05 PM
Dont have much to say but I guess I will do as I am told

dont post in awkward colors

got it ;D

vixen_wolf
02-04-2008, 11:12 PM
now is this for all the forums or just the fanfic ones??.....sorry i just wasnt shure

niKopol
02-04-2008, 11:38 PM
Since we are on the whole color subject, why is there even an option for different colors? Shame someone couldn't just program it out.

Some colors make my eyes bleed, especially when I'm really tired and its one in the morning. Usually, I don't even waste my time squinting to try and focus my eyes and just keep on going. It probably be a waste of effort on my part if I did read it as mostly immature people do it.

Fuu Kasumi
02-04-2008, 11:52 PM
It'd be pretty pointless to only do this in ONE section of the forum, though.
I s'pose I'll stop using white and be a bit more subtle. :]
Yes, I agree with you, it is terribly annoying to read something like this. or even this.
So, let us rid the obnoxious fonts!

vixen_wolf
02-04-2008, 11:54 PM
yes kie when you post and such theres a thingy at the top wich you can change the colors. its an "A" with arrow and a black line. you can also change the size and such.

(yer box is full BTW)

Sanosuke23
02-05-2008, 01:29 AM
From what I know so far, it applies here and the Poetry subforum. Ai has no jurisdiction over the other areas of the site, but it would be nice to be able to read people's posts while I'm at work. =D

I use the Mobile Portal too more often than not, so I feel Ai's pain. ;-; In fact, I'm pretty sure I was complaining to her about it long before she was forced to use it herself.

Fabala
02-05-2008, 03:15 AM
a better suggestion would be to preview it in 'go advanced' and use spaces and hard returns to spread out the text so that it isn't in tight boxes, that are hard to read accurately.
thats the best way to make it legible and ensure people will read it.

Not correctly spreading a story into paragraphs is usually done by someone with a poor sense of grammar, and they are corrected via comments on their story.

Really, I think it's good practice to -always- preview your post, and spell check, particularly in these forums.

Daenerys
02-05-2008, 11:40 AM
It'd be pretty pointless to only do this in ONE section of the forum, though.
I s'pose I'll stop using white and be a bit more subtle. :]
Yes, I agree with you, it is terribly annoying to read something like this. or even this.
So, let us rid the obnoxious fonts!
I must say... I GOTTA SAY..

That those colors were very pretty to read on the purple theme.

But then again... I have horrible color tastes. Seriously.

....SERIOUSLY. I love neon pink and green. IN THE SAME THEME.

....IKKNOWIMSONOTONETOTALK.

AND KIE

YOUR SIGNATURE

IS THE MOST ANNOYING THING I HAVE EVER SEEN IN MY LIFE. GET RID OF IT IMMEDIATELY!

I should just start typing in font like this. Everywhere I go. SO PEOPLE WILL BE LIKE GASP! Who dares write in... oh, it's Ai! SILLY Ai!

Yeah, see. Sano. I didn't care when you complained. Because it didnt bother me. But now it does, and I hate you all.

niKopol
02-05-2008, 06:13 PM
Better?

NOW?

As much as I give in you'd think I'd learn...

Daenerys
02-05-2008, 07:27 PM
It still screws up the tables.

Hypergraphian
02-14-2008, 11:18 AM
Hokay, gonna put this in here because I think lots of people don't know the trick. Here are directions on how to put your piece in default mode for animeforum. Do correct me if there's an easier way to do this.

a) Copy your entire word document and paste it into the tiny "Post Quick Reply" box. But remember to use the enter button after to add space in between paragraphs.

b) If the text doesn't fit, post the quick reply first. Then click on the edit button once. This will bring up the edit box. Copy and paste into the edit box and once again, remember to use the enter button to space out your paragraphs.

c) Finally, and this is the longest way, retype the entire thing into the "Post Reply" box.

Both the post quick reply and edit boxes remove all font and color formatting from word docs upon pasting.

mythroch
02-14-2008, 07:36 PM
While that works, I think an easier way would be to just paste it into the 'go advance section' where you can edit it straight up without having to repost it a couple of times. And this also removes any Font and colour settings back to default on pasting.
This function also lets you preview your post before you post it and see how it will look to others on the forums. This is a great help in getting the most legible size and font.

Daenerys
02-14-2008, 08:08 PM
I just copy and paste the post, and then go edit, select all, delete, and paste what I copied. It doesn't copy over the font settings :D

Hypergraphian
02-15-2008, 12:17 PM
I just copy and paste the post, and then go edit, select all, delete, and paste what I copied. It doesn't copy over the font settings :D

Oh my God, plain genius!!! Thanks :D

Daenerys
02-15-2008, 03:03 PM
Yeah, and that came about after like 5 deleted fanfictions/poems.

Haha, oh me. I make so many mistakes.

Ichiro Matsuchani
02-15-2008, 03:22 PM
I just copy and paste the post, and then go edit, select all, delete, and paste what I copied. It doesn't copy over the font settings :DI wish you told me that before. That makes it a lot easier. o_O

Gero50
02-15-2008, 03:42 PM
I fully agree with you on that trying to read those different colors can be really straining on the eyes. I really hate it when they use like pink and other secondary colors.