PDA

View Full Version : Sushi

hanababy
01-16-2008, 10:28 PM
Who likes sushi, and what are some good recipes? So, I'm kinda tired of the same old thing, and I want to try and experiment with sushi. I've been thinking of trying something with chicken ( crosses fingers ) but I don't know how it will turn out. I was just wondering if anyone had tried anything different with sushi, and how it turned out.:p

International 4-8818
01-16-2008, 10:53 PM
Honestly, i think sushi has become highly overrated in todays life style especially for kids who are like omg i want to be Japaneses i'll just obsess about sushi then. I mean sushi is ok, but compared to a nigiri tuna and a tuna steak, i would rather choose something cooked, hot, and taste really good compared to something that is cold, raw, and has minimal taste.

Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki
01-16-2008, 10:57 PM
Honestly, i think sushi has become highly overrated in todays life style especially for kids who are like omg i want to be Japaneses i'll just obsess about sushi then. I mean sushi is ok, but compared to a nigiri tuna and a tuna steak, i would rather choose something cooked, hot, and taste really good compared to something that is cold, raw, and has minimal taste.

I agree :/. I like sushi all right, but I prefer cooked meat. I mean, if you want to go Japanese people should try going to a yakiniku place... now that stuff is fun.

Sanosuke23
01-16-2008, 10:59 PM
... Don't eat raw chicken, kid.

SUSHI RECIPIE:

Raw fish
Sticky white rice
Salt
Vinegar

Cook rice with salt and vinegar. Form cooked rice into balls. Slice raw fish, place on rice.

Eat it.

prototypetetra
01-16-2008, 11:11 PM
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w318/haruhifujiokafarm/hffC025.jpg
Sushi is merely rolled up vinegared rice with a slice of your desired ingredient; I do not think there is much variation in the recipes on how to make such. I do not like the taste of sushi.

hanababy
01-16-2008, 11:11 PM
... Don't eat raw chicken, kid.

SUSHI RECIPIE:

Raw fish
Sticky white rice
Salt
Vinegar

Cook rice with salt and vinegar. Form cooked rice into balls. Slice raw fish, place on rice.

Eat it.

Thanks, I wasn't planning on eating raw chicken, I would cook it first. Not many people know, there's plenty of sushi with cooked meat and fish.

rf switch
01-16-2008, 11:12 PM
Sanosuke, I think most people here aren't dumb enough to try raw chicken...

You don't really wanna just buy any old fish and eat it raw...you kinda want sushi grade fish to do that...

And since sushi refers to the rice..you could put cooked chicken on it...You can get tamago; cooked scrambled egg..

So really...Just make the rice, and get some nori if you're into rolls and stuff as well....and then experiment with stuff to go with it...Stuff that sounds appetizing.

Inamorata
01-16-2008, 11:29 PM
I agree, rf switch. Shoot, I've hade smoked samon sushi once. The fish was cooked, and they still refurred it as sushi. Same with Tempura, which is fried shrimp, cucumber, crab, wrapped with eel and avocado. God I love tempura.. I'm so getting some this Friday. *drools* @.@

Inamorata
01-16-2008, 11:32 PM

You know, not everyone who enjoys the Japanese culture wants to be Japanese. I happen to enjoy many varities of cultures, and their foods. We all have our own tastes.

Sanosuke23
01-16-2008, 11:39 PM
Sanosuke, I think most people here aren't dumb enough to try raw chicken...

You don't really wanna just buy any old fish and eat it raw...you kinda want sushi grade fish to do that...

Yes but a) I don't trust most members of this forum to NOT try something once, and b) My "recipie" was more sarcasm than genuine. Note the lack of measurements and actual "help." It was meant to illustrate that Sushi is like all dishes with white rice as the main ingredient: Basic.

International 4-8818
01-16-2008, 11:41 PM
You know, not everyone who enjoys the Japanese culture wants to be Japanese. I happen to enjoy many varities of cultures, and their foods. We all have our own tastes.

I'm making a reference to animeforum's Japanese fan boys and girls who do that and brag about it.

Manhattan_Project_2000
01-16-2008, 11:47 PM
Japanese cuisine is a travesty.

Maledictis Voca
01-17-2008, 09:19 AM
I favor yellowtail dipped in eel sauce myself. Though I've only just recently tried suchi, and next time I'll be trying something different. Either crab, tuna, samon, or the shrimp.

Some of it like fish eggs and squid looks just plain disgusting though.

You gotta be careful with sushi though. It's gotta be prepared correctly so any bacteria is killed, that, and you gotta know where it came from. I forget what area's they are, but If they come from those spots either order something else or go somewhere else. Mercury(sp?), I guess.

Oh and.... You never want to eat raw chicken. Or beef for that matter, unless you're one of those daring people who order 100% rare steaks.

Black_Raven
01-17-2008, 09:21 AM
Bleh X.X

Sushi's gross, i tried it and thought it was nasteh.

Ami~chan
01-17-2008, 09:25 PM
I love sushi, but I've loved it since I was a kid, way before I liked anime.

It's not something I can eat every day though. Two or three times a week, tops.

Sanosuke23
01-17-2008, 09:27 PM
Oh and.... You never want to eat raw chicken. Or beef for that matter, unless you're one of those daring people who order 100% rare steaks.

Well, raw beef used to be considered safe, but as time went on it became one of those things you don't do just in case, which lead to a lot of places worrying less about freshness because people will be cooking it anyway.

Konata Izumi
01-17-2008, 10:30 PM
I only like Teriyaki Chicken Sushi. :|

Arcxcia
01-18-2008, 02:21 AM
I like all kinds of sushi. Haha... This thread makes me hungry!

Hypergraphian
01-18-2008, 02:36 AM
Hmm... if I have to say one thing about Japanese food and sushi, it will be that it is healthier than most of the other foods I consume. I eat too many fried and very oily foods. So sometimes having sushi and raw fish meals make it easier on my stomach.

Scarlet Wings
01-18-2008, 11:19 AM
I love it...I think I'll actually go get some after my 1pm class =]

DarkMoonPrince
01-18-2008, 11:45 AM
I love sushi actually, by the way it looked, i thought it was nasty, lol. But i tasted it and it was good, all different kinds i like.

Inamorata
01-22-2008, 08:57 PM
I just had curi udon, and tempura. It was so good. I even baught my own tempura batter and veggies. XD Lol. I love fried veggies. It turns veggies into greesey fattiness. I love it. >=D What can I say, tho.. I admir all foods pretty much. I love to cook and try new things. Your life is too short to waste your time being picky. ;D

Asriel
01-22-2008, 09:13 PM
I LUFF SUSHI!

But not to an extent where I would be like "OMG I want to be japanese because Sushi is just so good!"
No i'm not that crazy about it although I prefer raw foods.I don't know why but i like raw food,especially fish(lol)
Anyway you should try if you like and hopefully you'll get some nice results.

Magisha
01-22-2008, 10:39 PM
I love sushi!!!! Especially Kappa and California rolls!

Hmm. . . My mom made some homemade sushi before. She added that fluffy pork stuff, I'm not sure what it's called, but it's pretty good! xD

Amuro112
01-22-2008, 10:44 PM
although sushi doesnt really offer much taste ,not saying that i dont like them i still perfer chinese food over them especially szechaun, so i still like sushi.

one of the reason is because i love rice. usually every 1 month's friday me and my friends go work out and after we go to a resturant order "All you can eat" and stuff up so full that i didnt feel like eating for the next day afterthat.

basically sushi is like a sandwich
u can stuff in anything u want.

Faceless111
01-23-2008, 12:10 AM
I'm not that into sushi or Japanese foods in general for that matter. Kimbop, which is like sushi but without the fish, is much better. I guess that's because I hate sea food. Anyways, Korean food trumps Japanese food any day.

You know, I had an interesting idea... pizza sushi. I wonder how that would work though.

CapnJack
01-23-2008, 12:18 AM
All I've tryed was California rolls. It, to me, feels like a cheaters sushi. Mostly made with crab and not raw fish. It tasted too good to be oriental cuisine. Not that oriental food should taste bad, please dont think that of me. I just mean that this had too much of an artificial flavor.

Anyways, I would like sushi if I tryed any or enough. Not crazy about the seaweed though. I did try sushi made with spam once. Again, didnt like the seaweed but everything else was quite tasty.

The chicken idea sounds good. Im a big freak for chicken so of course Id say that. It doesnt have to be raw. Sushi meat isnt always raw. Its cooked through a marinade. The chicken could be cooked that way and it might make it taste much better. Just search the net for recipes. They're usually decent.