PDA

View Full Version : A lil racist question?

blackrosetwilight
01-16-2008, 03:23 PM
Ok not to offend anyone but why do many caucasian and african american are the only two ethnic group that Im am aware of still defining themselves by color? Why? Well have you ever ask an asian their enthicity and they answer yellow? Cuz I havent, so why am I asking this question? My stupid Professor gave me this project to do, so please dont be afraid to throw in you opinion no one will judge you well maybe my Professor.

Please Note: this is for a research project remember I just need your opinion on the subject and yes I know I sound stupid asking this and I know asian's arent yellow just needed to say it to prove a point about how diffrent ethni/race group define themselves. And to those who think Im ignorent or just plain stupid you guys are the ignorent ones' not being able to understand that I said the subject was given to me by a Professor, so to those who been bad repping me about being ignorent you my friends are far more ingorent than I could ever be not being smart, mature, or tollarent enough to give a straight out opinion on such sensitive issues' but instead attack me to help your own ego of being and to those who are intellegent, mature, and tollerant enough to give there personal opinion on the "SUBJECT" thank you all. You will all also be given credit as my source for my research project.

P.S. I have concluded that many people are blinded by their own ego, racism or concept of it going into a mode of rage and denial lose sight of what's really being asked or said are the true reason why we can never truly accept each other as equals and confine ourselves as seprate races' and not as one race that we all belong to the "Human Race"

Capernicus
01-16-2008, 03:28 PM
Your writting is atrocious, which is especially disconcerting considering that you are 18.

But in response to your post, I think that this is really the wrong place to be asking a question of that nature. We all love Yellows.

Totsean
01-16-2008, 03:30 PM
Probably because of the segregation that once was between whites and black. Some food for thought.

Eris
01-16-2008, 03:36 PM
Ok not to offend anyone but why do many caucasian and african american are the only two ethnic group that Im am aware of still defining themselves by color? Why? Well have you ever ask an asian their enthicity and they answer yellow? Cuz I havent, so why am I asking this question? My stupid Professor gave me this project to do, so please dont be afraid to throw in you opinion no one will judge you well maybe my Professor.

Because they're ignorant. They're not even using the race concept properly. Example: general white central-european-somethings are not caucascians. People from the Caucasus region are. The two are very different.

Moreover, there is more than one "race" in Africa. Therefore, "African American" is a very stupid (and, indeed racist) concept -- if used to mean "black person".

Ikaruga
01-16-2008, 03:36 PM
Thanks Capernicus! :D

I'm "yellow" as you would put it lol, and that was one of the few times I ever needed to say that.

Whether of not this is in the appropriate thread to be discussing this, I believe people still define themselves by colour, more commonly in the USA. Blame it on politics, blame it on Hollywood. Hey aren't these things you're meant to find out by yourself? :p

Finvarra
01-16-2008, 03:40 PM
You guys are crazy. And her Typing is just fine.
You seem to read it ok.

Well, anyway, I guess you can say hat thats just how things have been.
Like it or not.
"/

Eris
01-16-2008, 03:43 PM
Whether of not this is in the appropriate thread to be discussing this, I believe people still define themselves by colour, more commonly in the USA. Blame it on politics, blame it on Hollywood. Hey aren't these things you're meant to find out by yourself? :p

I blame it on the great American tradition of stupification. They see the Europeans has something, racism in this case, and then they simplify it for easier adoption. In Europe, racism was a science. In America, was reduced down to black or white.

This isn't the only time this has happened. The English language for an example. I mean, it's aluminium, not "aluminum". And how they pronounce "Pittsburgh" is an atrocity.

They've done it to countless TV shows (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_British_TV_shows_remade_for_the_American_m arket).

Ikaruga
01-16-2008, 03:52 PM
Eris you're right on that. The English language is so strange, there's American and then British English...

You say colorful, I say colourful.
You say sulfur, I say sulphur... and the list goes on..

Even armour is now known as armor, like in body armor or kevlar. Could be that the massive American corporations that make body armour has set to using the American spelling, which has ultimately changed the traditional spelling of armour to armor... This is all speculation mind you... :p

prototypetetra
01-16-2008, 03:57 PM
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w318/haruhifujiokafarm/hff176.jpg
i have only been in this country er... planet for quite a short while but I HAVE heard of people who refer to mexicans as "brown"... well honestly are asians yellow skinned? they look brownish to me... besides... african american is too long compared to black... and caucasian sounds too complicated for the simple folk... they would probably say "cock asian what???"...

oh yes... there are.... BLUE people!!! i have seen them in VEGASSS!!!! i wonder from what country or planet they are from

Eris
01-16-2008, 04:06 PM
I think prototypetetra made my point. In Europe, we scoff at "the simple folk". In America, they run the country.

Nineteenth
01-16-2008, 04:15 PM
And then we wonder why aliens never visit us?

Aizmov
01-16-2008, 04:22 PM
What about tan? Coloring people is stupid! We are all people there's no colors. We are all similar. Race, ethnicity, class, etc.. are pointless!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgps85scy1g

Lune Cy
01-16-2008, 04:35 PM
ignore the ignorant

Aki no iko
01-16-2008, 04:35 PM
Coloring is just pigmentation. Why don't we just say everyone is technically brown. Haha. Asians are not yellow.

Totsean
01-16-2008, 04:37 PM
I blame it on the great American tradition of stupification. They see the Europeans has something, racism in this case, and then they simplify it for easier adoption. In Europe, racism was a science. In America, was reduced down to black or white.

This isn't the only time this has happened. The English language for an example. I mean, it's aluminium, not "aluminum". And how they pronounce "Pittsburgh" is an atrocity.

They've done it to countless TV shows (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_British_TV_shows_remade_for_the_American_m arket).

What difference does it make that a word is spelled or pronounced differently? the important thing is how well you get the message across. I think it's just doing what works best, by taking out all the unneccery letters, syllables, etc.

I'd much rather words like elephant for example be spelled as elefant. Then theirs no confusion in the pronunciation.

That's why I think French is one of the dumbest languages ever to exist. For most words, half of it isn't even said. Most of the letters are just their for the hell of it, which is just stupid. Why can't all words just be written as they are pronounced?

Eris
01-16-2008, 04:38 PM
Coloring is just pigmentation. Why don't we just say everyone is technically brown. Haha. Asians are not yellow.

Technically brown? I'm as pale as you go without being translucent.

What difference does it make that a word is spelled or pronounced differently? the important thing is how well you get the message across. I think it's just doing what works best, by taking out all the unneccery letters, syllables, etc.

Then what's the meaning of having words? We could replace them with numbers instead. And while we're at it, make them binary. Then we have reduced our language down to two syllables. You know who else uses roughly two syllables? Ooh-ooh-eeh-ooh-eeh! That's right, chimpanzees. We're not chimpanzees, ergo, we can handle a few extra syllables.

I'd much rather words like elephant for example be spelled as elefant. Then theirs no confusion in the pronunciation.

Most people aren't idiots. So don't treat them like idiots. Have you ever met anyone with troubles pronouncing "elephant"? Challenge people to become something greater, instead of making it easy for them.

That's why I think French is one of the dumbest languages ever to exist. For most words, half of it isn't even said. Most of the letters are just their for the hell of it, which is just stupid. Why can't all words just be written as they are pronounced?

Oh, but it's beautiful. The French learned from the horrifying lesson that is the German language.

Hideki Motosuwa.
01-16-2008, 04:46 PM
LOL, yellow boy here!(Just kidding!) Yes, I agree with most people here, and I'm Asian, but I'm not "yellow". :)

Totsean
01-16-2008, 04:54 PM
Then what's the meaning of having words? We could replace them with numbers instead. And while we're at it, make them binary. Then we have reduced our language down to two syllables. You know who else uses roughly two syllables? Ooh-ooh-eeh-ooh-eeh! That's right, chimpanzees. We're not chimpanzees, ergo, we can handle a few extra syllables.

Well if it can maintain it's complexity with roughly two syllables than why the hell not?

Most people aren't idiots. So don't treat them like idiots. Have you ever met anyone with troubles pronouncing "elephant"? Challenge people to become something greater, instead of making it easy for them.

People could go even farther if you just made those things easier to learn. Just because they have trouble pronouncing a word doesn't mean they are idiots though. I've observed many intellectuals who can't pronounce certain words correctly.

Oh, but it's beautiful. The French learned from the horrifying lesson that is the German language.

So all those extra letters are just their for their aesthetic appeal? Well, I don't find anything very artistically appealing about some simple symbols representing a sound.

blackrosetwilight
01-16-2008, 04:55 PM
yeah thanks guys for your post but maybe I should of put more detail into why Im asking this question like I said before this was for a project and I unfortunetly got this subject, also I dont have anything against asians I got asian friends, my family's asian, and I myself am asian. I wanted to do my project on asain stereotyping and prejudice but my Professor said no since it would be too easy for me and it was already taken by several of my other asian classmate and the whole yellow thing I know asians arent yellow I just needed it to prove a point.

Eris
01-16-2008, 05:00 PM
Well if it can maintain it's complexity with roughly two syllables than why the hell not?

Because it wou

People could go even farther if you just made those things easier to learn. Just because they have trouble pronouncing a word doesn't mean they are idiots though. I've observed many intellectuals who can't pronounce certain words correctly.

Yes, actually, it does. An intellectual who can't grasp their native language doesn't make much of an intellectual. And people don't go anywhere if they're not forced to get off their butts and improve themselves.

So all those extra letters are just their for their aesthetic appeal? Well, I don't find anything very artistically appealing about some simple symbols representing a sound.

Of course they are. As I said, compare French to German. It's like night and day. French is smooth and flowing, German is like falling down a flight of stairs.

PanzerJager
01-16-2008, 05:08 PM

Entschuldigen Sie, aber das ist so nicht ganz korrekt. English is much harder to learn and speak..

I would hardly say "falling down a flight of stairs," but it is pretty difficult to speak it you get rusty and it is a bit(understatement) hard on the vocal cords..

Totsean
01-16-2008, 05:12 PM
Because it wou

wouldn't?

I said if it would. and besides, does the meaning of any word have any less meaning if you change or delete a letter or two? I don't think so.

Yes, actually, it does. An intellectual who can't grasp their native language doesn't make much of an intellectual. And people don't go anywhere if they're not forced to get off their butts and improve themselves.

I disagree. I don't think a person has to neccesarily know any language to be considered intelligent. Plus, theirs other ways to communicate than just guttural utterances.

Of course they are. As I said, compare French to German. It's like night and day. French is smooth and flowing, German is like falling down a flight of stairs.

I wasn't talking about the way it sounds. We're discussing the way it's written. The way a word sounds wouldn't change at all if just spelling was change.

Aizmov
01-16-2008, 05:20 PM
I'd rather spell wordz az thai aar pronownsed or something.
Korean ftw :cool:

PanzerJager
01-16-2008, 05:21 PM
I said if it would. and besides, does the meaning of any word have any less meaning if you change or delete a letter or two? I don't think so.

Of course it would(nt).. that seems like a big difference to me.. no?

I disagree. I don't think a person has to neccesarily know any language to be considered intelligent. Plus, theirs other ways to communicate than just guttural utterances.

There is a big difference in being intelligent and being an intellectual.. You can be one, but not the other (it works either way)..

I wasn't talking about the way it sounds. We're discussing the way it's written. The way a word sounds wouldn't change at all if just spelling was change.

Pronounce this:

in-te-lli-gent

now this:

in-te-gent

..h.. mae ur rigt.. wt's a fe sybles he ad tere..

Totsean
01-16-2008, 05:31 PM
Of course it would(nt).. that seems like a big difference to me.. no?

what? please clarify.

There is a big difference in being intelligent and being an intellectual.. You can be one, but not the other (it works either way)..

Well, according to wiki
An intellectual is one who tries to use his or her intellect (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intelligence_%28trait%29) to work, study, reflect, speculate, or ask and answer questions about a wide variety of different ideas (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idea).

That does not neccesarily require knowing how to speak a language.

Pronounce this:

in-te-lli-gent

now this:

in-te-gent

..h.. mae ur rigt.. wt's a fe sybles he ad tere..

I understand what your saying somewhat, but I don't think you are pronouncing them correctly in real life though.

Phonetically, intelligent would be written just as it is, minus one l.

and that sentence: hmm.. maybe ur riyt.. wats (???) silablz he ad der.

blackrosetwilight
01-16-2008, 05:41 PM
wow how wonder how my thread got turn to this but you guys should ease up on the whole intelligent and language thingy hehehehe...........sigh. It doesnt matter how things are pronounced or spelled as long as the other person undertands you.

Totsean
01-16-2008, 05:47 PM
wow how wonder how my thread got turn to this but you guys should ease up on the whole intelligent and language thingy hehehehe...........sigh. It doesnt matter how things are pronounced or spelled as long as the other person undertands you.

Heh, that's how conversations flow. You start off talking about one thing and before you know it you are talking about something completely different.

what you said about language is exactly my point.

Sanosuke23
01-16-2008, 07:01 PM
wow how wonder how my thread got turn to this...

Let this be a lesson to you: AF will not do your homework.

I believe a british comedian whose name escapes me said it best. To paraphrase:

"You know, I agreed with you Americans and your removal of the letter u from words like honor and color. I feel it streamlines the language a bit, which is nice."

"Then I saw Glamour Magazine and all your credibility flew right out the window."

Anpan Hayase
01-16-2008, 08:19 PM
Ya see... I'm biracial. So...

If black is black.
And white is white.

I am... Gray? O.o;

niKopol
01-16-2008, 08:30 PM
My skin color is white...
I am from the southern states...
I don't speak with a southern accent... I try my best not too.
I have genes of 6 or more different races in me. But you can barely tell it.
I studied some of my cultural history.
I call myself a male human of fair complexion, but white man is so much easier to say.

Asriel
01-16-2008, 08:50 PM
This is completely weird and i guess i would have to agree.

Besides.........My skin color is white but i look a little tan at times.
LOL and Btw Asians are not yellow........that just sounds stupid.

Ignore the ignorant like said before.

demon_girl_
01-16-2008, 10:20 PM
well,i hear people calling each other by color, and today made me think wth, i was in class and someone said, "dang, move white girl!" i was like "excuse me?the color of my skin doesn't matter, but i do have a name." i really hate how people call you out by color, but some can't help it, i do find it a bit racist, but you should hear how people talk, they call each other, the N word, and i think i would never call someone that.but i do agree with what the others say.i myself am not "white" or "red" i am simply a girl with many backgrounds and i have a name, a race, but what color i am is not important, it's who i am that is.some time ago, me and my best friends were standing in line to go into this haunted house, and someone said something about mexicans, i thought it was very rude, and what this guy said offended my friend, for she is mexican, my other friends mother snapped on him.i find a lot of things horrible but racist jokes, and why what color you are is at the top of my list.i for one think everyone is unique in thier own way, color and all, people consider my friend as a hines 57, because she is almost everything, but she doesn't look the part, thus making her unique.i do hope a little of this made since, and sorry if it did not.

Sanosuke23
01-16-2008, 11:28 PM
Really, if you find racial jokes offensive it's usually because you're ashamed to admit you think they're true.

Racism is typically defined as predjudice or discrimination toward a particular race intending to marginalize or otherwise treat them unfairly.

If every race can and is represented by humor depicting a caricature of stereotypes, how are these jokes racist? If anything they work against racism by pointing out that we all stereotype and are in turn stereotyped.

███
01-17-2008, 12:17 AM
Why do black people have white palms and white fingernails? It would be cool if they had black teeth too...

MissChelly
01-17-2008, 06:43 AM
Have you ever met anyone with troubles pronouncing "elephant"? Challenge people to become something greater, instead of making it easy for them.

Teehee... "elep hant"
Sorry, had to.

As for there not being yellow people- that's discrimination! :mad: Think of all those people with jaundice!

blackrosetwilight
01-17-2008, 09:37 AM
Let this be a lesson to you: AF will not do your homework.

Im well aware of that, but I needed other people's personal opinion on this subject for my research project, thats why Im asking other people and besides a research project is based on the information you find, not that of your own it wouldnt be a research project of if I did that, so you dont need to be so harsh about that and also if you read my thread carefully all I asked was for opinions, not for others to do my project.

[quote=Hieko;1947833]This is completely weird and i guess i would have to agree.

Besides.........My skin color is white but i look a little tan at times.

LOL and Btw Asians are not yellow........that just sounds stupid.

Ignore the ignorant like said before.

Sigh I know asians arent yellow just like native american arent red it's the closest thing I could think up at the time for the whole black and white thing. And like I said in earlier post I just needed the term to prove a point sheesh, also Im not discriminating asians', since I myself am asian how much must I repeat myself dammit and to those offended by an asian using the word yellow, I know many of you have done worst and stop trying to hide it we know what you folks say behind our backs yeah we have ears too. And to all those other asian who took offence same thing to you guys.

Manhattan_Project_2000
01-17-2008, 11:09 AM
Semi-related: How awesome is the explicit racism in early Disney films? I mean, Jesus Christ, have you ever listened to their lyrics?

What Made the Red Man Red?
Why does he ask you, "How?"
Why does he ask you, "How?"
Once the Injun didn't know
All the things that he know now
But the Injun, he sure learn a lot
And it's all from asking, "How?"

Hana Mana Ganda
Hana Mana Ganda
We translate for you
Hana means what mana means
And ganda means that too

When did he first say, "Ugh!"
When did he first say, "Ugh!"
In the Injun book it say
When the first brave married squaw
He gave out with a big ugh
When he saw his Mother-in-Law

What made the red man red?
What made the red man red?
Let's go back a million years
To the very first Injun prince
He kissed a maid and start to blush
And we've all been blushin' since

You've got it from the headman
The real true story of the red man
No matter what's been written or said
Now you know why the red man's red!

PanzerJager
01-17-2008, 11:24 AM
Semi-related: How awesome is the explicit racism in early Disney films? I mean, Jesus Christ, have you ever listened to their lyrics?

How about in the Lion King were the dust (or was it the stars?) spell out sex?

Ball Tripper
01-17-2008, 06:05 PM
I think the whites and the blacks were pretty clever in claiming a color as their own. Specifics are more easily confused and cause more offense. Call a japanese person chinese and they will get pissed.

Doesn't happen with blacks and whites because they are just black and white. It would be so much easier if yellows and browns became accepted terms like whites and blacks.

Acnologia
01-17-2008, 06:26 PM
Because they have nothing else to defend themselves with.

rf switch
01-17-2008, 06:59 PM
You know...I always kinda wondered why Natives Americans from the the US were referred to as "red" But Mexicans and even other Latin Americans who obviously have a heavy native background are "brown"...Since when you get down to it theres not a huge difference in how they look...

And it's kinda interesting how someone from say Argentina, Whose population is mostly of European ancestry is considered a minority (Latino) when they move to the US even though most of the time they're just as white as any other white american whose of european decent.

Hideki Motosuwa.
01-17-2008, 07:27 PM
[quote=Sanosuke23;1947743]Let this be a lesson to you: AF will not do your homework.

Im well aware of that, but I needed other people's personal opinion on this subject for my research project, thats why Im asking other people and besides a research project is based on the information you find, not that of your own it wouldnt be a research project of if I did that, so you dont need to be so harsh about that and also if you read my thread carefully all I asked was for opinions, not for others to do my project.

Sigh I know asians arent yellow just like native american arent red it's the closest thing I could think up at the time for the whole black and white thing. And like I said in earlier post I just needed the term to prove a point sheesh, also Im not discriminating asians', since I myself am asian how much must I repeat myself dammit and to those offended by an asian using the word yellow, I know many of you have done worst and stop trying to hide it we know what you folks say behind our backs yeah we have ears too. And to all those other asian who took offence same thing to you guys.
Hey, I'm Asian, and I took no offense by this thread!:laugh: And to me, as far as I know, "yellow" was the westerner's way of insulting the Chinese, and I don't think other asians were insulted, just the chinese. Incase you people are wondering, I'm Chinese American, with Japanese features, and racists are just ignorant people who get delight in mocking others. And I am one who stands up for those who cannot stand up for themselves, because people simply have no right in making others feel bad and destroying self-esteem because they feel superior to another race! Here's the intro from Jet Li's Fearless:

"In the late Qin Dynasty, foregin powers dominated China's key cities.
Weak and defenseless, China was bullied by many and earned the nickname "Sick Man of Asia".
To destroy China's self-esteem, the Foreign Chamber of Commerce in Shanghai held a tournament, starring their 4 champion fighters.
Only one man rose to this challenge, Huo Juanjia!
Shanghai 1910..."

blackrosetwilight
01-18-2008, 09:44 PM
Please Note: this is for a research project remember I just need your opinion on the subject and yes I know I sound stupid asking this and I know asian's arent yellow just needed to say it to prove a point about how diffrent ethni/race group define themselves. And to those who think Im ignorent or just plain stupid you guys are the ignorent ones' not being able to understand that I said the subject was given to me by a Professor, so to those who been bad repping me about being ignorent you my friends are far more ingorent than I could ever be not being smart, mature, or tollarent enough to give a straight out opinion on such sensitive issues' but instead attack me to help your own ego of being and to those who are intellegent, mature, and tollerant enough to give there personal opinion on the "SUBJECT" thank you all. You will all also be given credit as my source for my research project.

P.S. I have concluded that many people are blinded by their own ego, racism or concept of it going into a mode of rage and denial lose sight of what's really being asked or said are the true reason why we can never truly accept each other as equals and confine ourselves as seprate races'. Not as the one race that we all belong to the "Human Race"

Hideki Motosuwa.
01-18-2008, 09:51 PM

P.S. I have concluded that many people are blinded by their own ego, racism or concept of it going into a mode of rage and denial lose sight of what's really being asked or said are the true reason why we can never truly accept each other as equals and confine ourselves as seprate races'. Not as the one race that we all belong to the "Human Race"
Listen here, buddy, I good repped you and kept the conversation on subject and mature! I'm on your side with this!

Sanosuke23
01-18-2008, 10:41 PM
Im well aware of that, but I needed other people's personal opinion on this subject for my research project, thats why Im asking other people...

What's the wording of the assignment? Out of curiosity.

and besides a research project is based on the information you find, not that of your own it wouldnt be a research project of if I did that, so you dont need to be so harsh about that and also if you read my thread carefully all I asked was for opinions, not for others to do my project.

I'm not being harsh. I was simply stating something. Have I bad repped you or otherwise insulted you? No. You can easily "find" information in a textbook or encyclopedia, a "research" project does not instantly mean you go out into the street and ask random people racial questions.

I'm not going to get into this whole thing. Like I said, I'd like to see the wording of the assignment before I comment further.

blackrosetwilight
01-19-2008, 08:12 AM
Listen here, buddy, I good repped you and kept the conversation on subject and mature! I'm on your side with this!

Sorry wasnt talking about you but many other people have. sorry again if you thought I was talking bout you and I did give you some rep too. Also if you read the whole thing yeah I kow its a lot to read but I did state that those who did helped would be credited on my research source page

I'm not being harsh. I was simply stating something. Have I bad repped you or otherwise insulted you? No. You can easily "find" information in a textbook or encyclopedia, a "research" project does not instantly mean you go out into the street and ask random people racial questions..........!

Yeah I've already done that but you cant get a real persons opinion out a book you get it from other people, besides asking around was one of the requirment my Professor gave to us in order to cosider it complete. Maybe I should of asked people their experience about it and not their opinion? You dont have to continue this any more since Im turing in my project sometime today.

Ramona Flowers
02-12-2008, 06:12 PM
You niggas crazy.
Oo, I went there.

Sanosuke23
02-12-2008, 06:34 PM
BRT: I like how you ignored my question, and added ten thousand periods and an exclamation point.

janeiro: Nigga you hilarious!

aishiteru333
02-12-2008, 06:49 PM
Hey this did totally change! Ha ha. Conversations flow that way...

Daenerys
02-17-2008, 02:19 PM
bringing this back up since people think we need several racism themed threads through out the site.

Assassin of Konoha
02-17-2008, 06:33 PM
IMO we are all the same. Color doesn't matter has never mattered and will never matter. We are all humans, and we are not better than others just because our skin is a different color. We were all created equal, and nobody has the right to say otherwise. Racists are people that have low self esteem and try to make themselves feel better by putting others down and making them feel worthless. I have many "black" friends, and I have never been able to see any difference between me and them.

demonplight
02-17-2008, 06:39 PM
the reason may be very simple. In America unlike in other areas of the world, a ethnicity isn't contained in the border of a nation, where people can easily identify them selves, and others. In the US we have many different kinds of peoples, and the easiest way to segregate our selves is through color. now keeping that in mind I when it comes to different ethnic groups interacting we are among the most tolerant. other areas of the world identify them selves with people of nations and city states that existed thousands of years ago, and consider people their enemy because they where a thousand years ago. to be honest we may do it by color, but at least we seem to be more accepting of others.

Assassin of Konoha
02-17-2008, 06:43 PM
which is pretty sad, considering we aren't that tollerant.......

Fuu Kasumi
02-17-2008, 07:15 PM
Calling "black" people African American is just like calling them black. Why call them "African" if they aren't from AFRICA? If they are from Africa, then it's a different story.
"White" people are pretty much mutts. Many of us are from several different races.
I try to refer to people without using races. But, some of my friends don't try to do so, and say something like "No, the black Breanna." Instead of using a last name.
I know they aren't racist, but eh...

But this topic reminds me of the Sealab 2021 episode I saw the other night with the two Debbies:
"Why don't we call her white Debbie?"
"Because I know she's white."
---
"What if we called you 'white Stormy'?"
"You mean... there's a black Stormy?"

demonplight
02-17-2008, 07:20 PM
aside from mutt, white people come from the Caucasus mountains. so we really aren't white we are Caucasian. and even then we all came from Africa. and if you believe in the Bible, then we all came from Iraq. its just people need to label people so they can find a sub group to fit into. the interesting thing is when it doesn't involve race.

omniking3
02-17-2008, 07:21 PM
Well, white and black is also due to the general association of light with good and dark with evil.

Besides, those who are racist towards Chinese men and women don't call them yellow, they call the Red.

demonplight
02-17-2008, 07:27 PM
maybe because of communist china? what about people who don't like people because of religion, or social standing, sex?

Guerrera
02-17-2008, 07:33 PM
Elementary, my dear Watson!

There's actually no such thing as "race." Race is a social concept, not a scientific one. When people speak of "race", they're actually referring to an ethnic group, of which there are many besides black and white.

There's no gene to determine "race" either. There's only one race: the human race... at least according to my college Sociology professor.

Eh, that probably didn't answer your question, but you can tell your prof anyway if you feel like impressing him or something.

demonplight
02-17-2008, 07:36 PM
that is the concept I am basing my answer on.