PDA

View Full Version : Megan Meier's suicide

Jagan Eye
01-10-2008, 05:25 PM
I was reading through articles and this particular one caught my attention and can be read here. (http://stcharlesjournal.stltoday.com/articles/2007/11/10/news/sj2tn20071110-1111stc_pokin_1.ii1.txt)
I was horrified as I read this and I just want to know other people's reactions to this. Its about a 13-year-old girl that committed suicide when a supposed "hot guy that was her friend" started saying mean things about her on myspace. It turns out that the guy was her ex-best friend's mother.
There is coverage on youtube about this as well if you type in Megan Meier.

jewel2sparkle
01-10-2008, 05:33 PM
Yeah. I've heard this one before. It's a sick thing. Not to mention something similar happened in a county near me.
Err...as far as the article goes, I think it is poorly written, but that's not important.

demon_girl_
01-10-2008, 05:41 PM
oh, i heard of that too, it's a shame, i would be so upset if that happend to someone i knew.

Hideki Motosuwa.
01-10-2008, 05:48 PM
That's not good. It must be tough living in her shoes at the time she was being targeted to the time she died. I guess that's the world. I know alot of people in my school that flame others just for being themselves, and I've watched a show on E! on the bad things that internet can do. Many young kids had the same thing happen and also commited suicide. I think it's just dispicible and utterly disgusting what people say and especially the ruthless, heartless ones that say things for no reason just for self gratification! But what's my opinion compared to millions of others?

███
01-10-2008, 06:53 PM
I feel as though the parent is to blame, the girl was not old enough to know what is healthy and what isn't. The parent should not have aloud her daughter who was quite clearly too young to speak with random people over the internet, to be involved in these sorts of relationships. The mother could see what this was doing to her daughter and still neglected to act, in fact helped her daughter get deeper into it. The mother has no idea how to be a parent.

MomijiTMO
01-10-2008, 07:10 PM
Yeah myspace is awesome. There were these two 16 y.o. girls in Australia who announced their 'suicide date' on myspace as they were sick of living. All of their friends thought it was just an emo stunt but they carried out their suicide pact by firstly drinking a 750mL bottle of UP rum between them, then they hung themselves from a tree.

Yeah just think of what else happens on myspace.

EDIT : Here's an article (http://www.theage.com.au/news/web/tragic-last-words-of-myspace-suicide-girls/2007/04/23/1177180634660.html)

bug
01-10-2008, 07:40 PM
I heard about it at my high school. We had a small debate on who was to blame.

Antares
01-10-2008, 09:10 PM
When I first saw this thread all I could think of was: "It happened again?" But this is an old story, and I there's an old thread about this same news that I think is already locked.

Looking at these events, I really don't know what to think about the times we are living in. It's nice to have friends over the internet, but letting the internet be were you live? It's terrible.

Leorina
01-10-2008, 09:22 PM
I blame both mothers. One is ignoring her daughter as if a thirteen year-old girl would have enough sense to know when she's sailing into uncharted waters and the ex-friend's mother acting like a superficial, wanna-be, middle schooler again, thinking it matters if her daughter loses a friend when there are more to be found in a local neighborhood or school function.

Parents like those two are what make me wish I could take an AK-47 and force some hobo into scaring sense into people: watch what your kid does online and don't take up the kid's battle of trying to repair a frienship. For other parents' sake--for the parents that know what the hell they're doing--try to show some dignity.

PanzerJager
01-10-2008, 09:50 PM
I remember that there was some article about something like this a while ago (on the misc. forum).. But I guess this one is different..

And god that makes me sick.. these people have some serious issues, they need to see a good therapist. To bad there is no way to prosecute them for this, but I guess that it is to iffy to make out anything solid.

Sanosuke23
01-10-2008, 11:07 PM
Words cannot describe how big of a failure as an adult that woman must be to harass a thirteen-year-old like that. It especially sickens me that, according to the article in the OP, the woman feels like it isn't as big a deal because she tried to kill herself before.

Mrs. Meiers did fail to monitor her child properly on that last day, but leading up to that I understand why she allowed her daughter to continue with it. She saw her depressed daughter beginning to turn her life around, and felt it was encouraging for her. If she was indeed monitoring their discussions up until that point, then I don't find any fault with her until she allowed her to stay on unsupervised. The blame is pretty squarely on anyone associated with that fake MySpace account.

The mother could see what this was doing to her daughter and still neglected to act, in fact helped her daughter get deeper into it. The mother has no idea how to be a parent.

According to the article, up until the last day she was monitoring her daughter closely. What it was doing to her daughter was making her happy, she had low self esteem and a boy showing interest in her was helping that. The only time I can see that there was a serious error made was when she left her unsupervised knowing that this same boy had just said something upsetting.

Kloud_Seven
01-10-2008, 11:55 PM
How can an adult be so pathetic and low, to the point where they would harass a 13 year-old? They didn’t feel any guilt what so ever, and that truly sickens me.

International 4-8818
01-11-2008, 12:15 AM
Want to here my thoughts in this? Who cares. I could care less about a girl's mental instability. Just another person out of the 6 billion people in our world. Besides it goes to show that natural selection is still at large.

Yes, a pessimistic point of view, but really ask yourself do you really care about this person. I would give a damn if i knew her.

sataned
01-11-2008, 02:01 AM
this is just sad...
the worst part is that it was adults who were messing with the girl...

Gjallarhorn
01-11-2008, 02:14 AM
I know all about it...my sister is facinated by the story for some reason.

Here's my thoughts.
1. That woman (the ex-friend's mother) is a failure as both a parent and as a decent human being.

2. The Meier girl is an idiot for killing herself over something so stupid.

aerroW232
01-11-2008, 02:26 AM
The thing about the two 16 year olds on myspace is sad.....now I cant write anything funny. And that article about the Meier girl is stupid+sad, <_> i hate suicide stories.

███
01-11-2008, 06:07 AM
According to the article, up until the last day she was monitoring her daughter closely. What it was doing to her daughter was making her happy, she had low self esteem and a boy showing interest in her was helping that. The only time I can see that there was a serious error made was when she left her unsupervised knowing that this same boy had just said something upsetting.

It's just to make people go against the ones said to be at fault. It's like feeding a baby nothing but chocolate, it might make them feel better but it's going to make them fat and crash on them when they are old enough to realise their life is screwed. Basing a child's life on the internet no matter how happy it makes that person IS NOT A GOOD THING. When that child is forced to come into the real world, what is that child going to do? Block someone?

darkjester
01-11-2008, 07:55 AM
It's scary people actually consider internet to be true and take to heart what goes on. And the complete trust people confide in others that they never know who exactly it is.
On one forum I'm a member to, there was a kid posing as this other person stealing images of this one girl who-from what we know-wasn't involved (just lying around another website similar to myspace.)
It's so easy to come up with a different identity while online, and this girl became a sucker for that. She didn't care who it was, she just wanted to be liked by anyone and recieved false hopes. Didn't she get accused of being a ...don't know if I can say it so- prostitute with the kid?
Taking things seriously over the internet is also dumb.
The girl herself did not think of anything and her parents did not seem to help the case.
This shows how weak humanity is, specially in today's day and age.
People so young want to grow up so quick they lose sight of everything.
And the girl and parents that harassed should not go unpunished. Little instagaitors tick me off.

Light Buster
01-11-2008, 01:21 PM
Hmm...this is why MySpace is to be avoided at all times. As for the 13-year old girl. She's either stupid...or crazy...seriously.

Asriel
01-11-2008, 01:52 PM
Wow.........O.O
Thats very depressing and very disturbing.........
Although this is the stupid kind of world we live in so does it really matter?This kind of stuff happens because of the sick demented kind of world we live in.So really yes i know the parents are sad in all but......nothings going to change the fact that the world is filled with stupid,ignorant,vile humans.

Btw this is just my kind of way of saying "thats sad....."

sataned
01-11-2008, 01:58 PM
Hmm...this is why MySpace is to be avoided at all times. As for the 13-year old girl. She's either stupid...or crazy...seriously.

dude you and anyone thinking like you is a strait up ahole...
the girl was only 13 years old, she had depression, and had a bunch of people talking crap to her on myspace. And if you havent noticed... myspace is the new thing, its iN! now a days with the teenage girls...
myspace has taken over on wot people used to call a social life...
it'll die out though..give it another 3-4 years... maybe...

Asriel
01-11-2008, 02:07 PM

Ummm not to be ignorant or anything but your a jackaxx.
Umm yeah i'm 13 shes 13 whatever but ummmm the difference is she had depression,trouble in her life.So you would rather blame the girl more than the vile adults that made her do what she did?

Man either i'm seeing it in a wrong way or your just an idiot who doesn't understand a thing.

Khanxay
01-11-2008, 02:39 PM
~did not read article yet

She's stupid.

Aren't one of the first rules of the interwebs is not to believe anything? (At least till confirmation of some sort)

And what's a 13 year old doing on Myspace?

Korobi
01-11-2008, 02:53 PM
I think I heard about this somewhere. I don't really want to say my opinions about the girl that killed herself over a guy. I can't imagine what was going throught that's ex-friend's mother's mind, and I don't really want to know becasue I don't understand how a person can be so cruel.

Leorina
01-11-2008, 02:54 PM
And what's a 13 year old doing on Myspace?

I'm surprised that you didn't see that with the creation of Myspace, some wanna-be tween would decide he or she wouldn't be complete without it. Kids are lying about their age everyday just to get on there and be with their schoolfriends or some other friend of that sort.

None of the above
01-11-2008, 02:57 PM
Problem is:
-she isn't the first one
-she won't be the last one
-suicide is just an option for the weak people who think they can't cope with life

ANOTHER ARGUMENT IN FAVOUR OF WATCHING YOUR KIDS [and to avoid such websites].

But all in all... should I care for one more or one less? This trend will continue whatsoever will happen in the future. It always has.

13 year old girl already in therapy? I resent a lot of pity for such people.
Just think of it as a proof for those gazillions warnings regarding myspace.

Kids, watch out.

Light Buster
01-13-2008, 04:05 PM
dude you and anyone thinking like you is a strait up ahole...
the girl was only 13 years old, she had depression, and had a bunch of people talking crap to her on myspace. And if you havent noticed... myspace is the new thing, its iN! now a days with the teenage girls...
myspace has taken over on wot people used to call a social life...
it'll die out though..give it another 3-4 years... maybe...
To tell you the truth, I'm not really into MySpace. To me, it just a waste of time and a good way to give your real idendity.

Ummm not to be ignorant or anything but your a jackaxx.
Umm yeah i'm 13 shes 13 whatever but ummmm the difference is she had depression,trouble in her life.So you would rather blame the girl more than the vile adults that made her do what she did?

Man either i'm seeing it in a wrong way or your just an idiot who doesn't understand a thing.
I understand a lot of things about suicide. My school had a suicide back in the 90's and had a lockdown. A lot of teachers are still talking about it. So I don't see why you're calling me a "jackaxx" but if you seen someone suicide, you're comments will change and you'll be shaken up like the people at my school.

prototypetetra
01-13-2008, 11:19 PM
i guess if there is someone who needs to be blamed... well.. i dont know... the parents for not raising their daughter to be capable of using her head a bit more and be more prepared for the real world... or the girl herself... i eman... kill yourself.. just coz someone er.. some supposed hot guy hates or curses you... well... geez.... i mean.... honestly.. the girl is probably mentally disturbed or disabled....

but if so.. then i guess... the one who made her kill herself was responsible since... taking advantage of a disabled person is after all... unfair...

but.. thats all just a guess... i mean i dont know these people.. its just NEWS... who knows what 100&#37; of the story is really like... judging people based on heresay and media stuff well... geez...

Akira Kogami[LC]
01-22-2008, 03:33 AM
Yeah myspace is awesome. There were these two 16 y.o. girls in Australia who announced their 'suicide date' on myspace as they were sick of living. All of their friends thought it was just an emo stunt but they carried out their suicide pact by firstly drinking a 750mL bottle of UP rum between them, then they hung themselves from a tree.

Yeah just think of what else happens on myspace.

EDIT : Here's an article (http://www.theage.com.au/news/web/tragic-last-words-of-myspace-suicide-girls/2007/04/23/1177180634660.html)

That's a sad article.

You cant really blame myspace though.

zyronet
01-22-2008, 06:12 AM
Poor kid. For having a mom like that and tragic ending. But anyway.. R.I.P for her.

Lune Cy
01-22-2008, 06:59 AM
it happens everyday..to who knows how many kids.anyways..it is a shame