PDA

View Full Version : A little help!!!

jewel2sparkle
01-06-2008, 01:51 PM
Hey, quick question...
I need to memorize a 15 line poem. I am completely stuck. Any ideas?

Eris
01-06-2008, 02:10 PM
Have you tried googling? This (http://www.studygs.net/memory/) is the first hit I got when searching for "memorizing". Seems about as complete a list of memorizing techniques you can find.

jewel2sparkle
01-06-2008, 02:27 PM
...Sorry. I forgot I needed a poem and not memorization tips. I did google some ideas for poems, but that didn't work all that well. It needs to be by a well-known/semi-well-known poet/author.

Eris
01-06-2008, 02:36 PM
...Sorry. I forgot I needed a poem and not memorization tips. I did google some ideas for poems, but that didn't work all that well. It needs to be by a well-known/semi-well-known poet/author.

How boring. All the well-known poets suck so badly, they can feel from space.

jewel2sparkle
01-06-2008, 02:38 PM
That's national poetry contest rules for ya.

Eris
01-06-2008, 02:43 PM
That's national poetry contest rules for ya.

Where's the actual contest part? Reciting poetry? That's just dull. No creativity at all.

sataned
01-06-2008, 03:45 PM
ummm... try some songs... alot of artists lyrics are kinduh like poems

DOOM!
01-06-2008, 04:32 PM
http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2007/08/128296997102501250ifailztosee.jpg

jewel2sparkle
01-06-2008, 04:59 PM
WOW! You guys are so helpful.

Kloud_Seven
01-06-2008, 05:59 PM
WOW! You guys are so helpful.

You make absolutely no sense, how is it a national poetry contest, if you’re reciting someone else’s poem? I mean, that contest must not be taken very seriously if that’s the case. Also, you must be pretty lazy if you can’t just Google a famous poet. I could see if you asked us to suggest a SPECIFIC type of poem or poet you were looking for but otherwise, you could have looked it up yourself.

jewel2sparkle
01-06-2008, 06:05 PM
You make absolutely no sense, how is it a national poetry contest, if you’re reciting someone else’s poem? I mean, that contest must not be taken very seriously if that’s the case. Also, you must be pretty lazy if you can’t just Google a famous poet. I could see if you asked us to suggest a SPECIFIC type of poem or poet you were looking for but otherwise, you could have looked it up yourself.
You make absolutely no sense. For this poetry contest, you must recite a poem, not make up one and send one in. And yes, I am lazy. That doesn't mean I didn't look for one myself. That doesn't mean I can't simple ask if someone might have known of a poem off the top of their head that they could suggest to me.

Day
01-06-2008, 06:13 PM
Try looking up a famous person who wrote good poems.
Heh thats all I can think of at the moment.
=3

Magisha
01-06-2008, 06:15 PM
I don't really get it. . . =___=;;

So you recite a poem and done? Is there a prize?

Ah well, but you can try some poems from Shel Silverstein, I haven't read much from him, but I remember in class where we one or 2 poems by him. . . ^^
Or maybe Dr. Seuss. . . I don't know if you think it's so kiddish and stuff. . . So you could always try Google to find some poets! =D

Anyways, good luck! ^___^

Kloud_Seven
01-06-2008, 06:24 PM
You make absolutely no sense. For this poetry contest, you must recite a poem, not make up one and send one in. And yes, I am lazy. That doesn't mean I didn't look for one myself. That doesn't mean I can't simple ask if someone might have known of a poem off the top of their head that they could suggest to me.

Actually I made perfect sense, so I will say it again. Why even bother calling it a contest? And you are lazy. Does that make sense? Or should I call you up and say it very slowly for you?

Anyway, I would have to say the same thing as the other guy, since a lot of songs actually start off as poems; you just have to have an ear for it or just pay attention.

Mira Kaiba
01-06-2008, 06:44 PM
I personally love Henry Wadsworth Longfellow - he has a lot of very nice poems, some of them may be 15 lines. I've memorized a bunch of his poems, and they are very nice. Good luck! ^^

jewel2sparkle
01-06-2008, 06:45 PM
Actually I made perfect sense, so I will say it again. Why even bother calling it a contest? And you are lazy. Does that make sense? Or should I call you up and say it very slowly for you?

Anyway, I would have to say the same thing as the other guy, since a lot of songs actually start off as poems; you just have to have an ear for it or just pay attention.
I am not calling it a contest. The people who run National Endowment for the Arts & Poetry Foundation presents:Poetry Out Loud's National Recitation Contest do. So don't bring it up with me. Am I already admitted I was lazy. Or did you not see that? I wasn't really sure. There is really no sense to be made out of this because it is what it is.
And songs don't count for poetry.

I personally love Henry Wadsworth Longfellow - he has a lot of very nice poems, some of them may be 15 lines. I've memorized a bunch of his poems, and they are very nice. Good luck! ^^

And THANK YOU! Finally and answer that means something. I'll look into him seeing that you suggest he has nice poems.

hanababy
01-06-2008, 06:48 PM
I like Robert Frost, he's my favorite poet. If I'm not mistaken he has a lot of short ones that should fit what you're looking for.

Kloud_Seven
01-06-2008, 07:01 PM
I am not calling it a contest. The people who run National Endowment for the Arts & Poetry Foundation presents:Poetry Out Loud's National Recitation Contest do. So don't bring it up with me. Am I already admitted I was lazy. Or did you not see that? I wasn't really sure. There is really no sense to be made out of this because it is what it is.
And songs don't count for poetry.

Wow, a contest where you recite someone else’s poem. That says a lot about you.
Imagine if you actually WON, That would feel like such a huge accomplishment that you worked so hard for. You would be able to give yourself a pat on the back, for basically just knowing how to read!

International 4-8818
01-06-2008, 07:04 PM
Just go straight into it. I start off with memorizing one line and then getting that thoroughly memorized and then i move onto the next sentence and do that for the rest of the lines.

jewel2sparkle
01-06-2008, 07:11 PM
Wow, a contest where you recite someone else’s poem. That says a lot about you.
Imagine if you actually WON, That would feel like such a huge accomplishment that you worked so hard for. You would be able to give yourself a pat on the back, for basically just knowing how to read!

...that doesn't say anything about me.
What is wrong with you?

Hideki Motosuwa.
01-06-2008, 07:12 PM
Stop trying to "remember it", just empty your mind and keep reading it. Hope I helped a little.

Momokachan
01-06-2008, 08:16 PM
Go find one of Shakespeare's sonnets and memorize one section each day.
Or, mimic the style of a famous poet and write your own.

And yeah, it sounds like that contest is kind of lame. Find a real contest that asks you to write your own poetry. Or, even better, find one that makes you do it on the spot.

jewel2sparkle
01-06-2008, 08:22 PM
And yeah, it sounds like that contest is kind of lame. Find a real contest that asks you to write your own poetry. Or, even better, find one that makes you do it on the spot.
I didn't volunteer for this. It's required for my studies. Not only would I not volunteer to enter a recitation poetry contest, but I wouldn't enter one that makes me write my own poetry or one that makes me "do it on the spot."

Momokachan
01-06-2008, 08:28 PM
I didn't volunteer for this. It's required for my studies. Not only would I not volunteer to enter a recitation poetry contest, but I wouldn't enter one that makes me write my own poetry or one that makes me "do it on the spot."
Unless it's for a communications class, I can't understand why any teacher would make you recite poetry for a contest. It not only stifles classroom creativity, it basically discourages kids from writing their own work. Besides, every national poetry contest I've ever heard of (and most that I haven't) have wanted original poems.

And honestly, my local "on the spot" poetry contest was the most fun with words I've ever had.

jewel2sparkle
01-06-2008, 08:31 PM
Unless it's for a communications class, I can't understand why any teacher would make you recite poetry for a contest. It not only stifles classroom creativity, it basically discourages kids from writing their own work. Besides, every national poetry contest I've ever heard of (and most that I haven't) have wanted original poems.

And honestly, my local "on the spot" poetry contest was the most fun with words I've ever had.
Alrighty. That's wonderful.

sataned
01-06-2008, 10:03 PM
i say you try some Dr.Seuss stuff its full of rhymes that i can read over and over more than 100 times... he might also have poems for you to recite or just read your audience one of his books and end this plight? OH DAM Ima POET! rhymes for dimes!! pay up suckers!!

well if its really a contest of the poetic art id say try making up something on your own ;D that would surely impress whomever your reciting it infront of and if you cant, Just find a poem with alot of big and fancy words that no one will understand that should impress people too ;D