PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here into martial arts?

Hideki Motosuwa.
01-04-2008, 11:23 PM
Anyone here into martial arts? I'm a former martial artist and would like to know if any one here does martial arts? What style do you do? Discuss it's effectiveness and flaws. And what are your thoughts on combat/fighting?

If anyone would like to know my martial arts history look below:

Wing Chun Kung-Fu-studied back in late '05. Sifu John Kaufman was my teacher. He has authentic Yip Man and Bruce Lee lineage! He is a 30+ years experienced master. He trained with Chu Shong Tin who is said to be 5 times better than Bruce Lee. I trained hard for a while and quit for several reasons. His name in chinese and kwoon is "Kwon Ka Man".

Shohei-Ryu Karate-Do(or Uechi-Ryu Karate-Do)-studied back in early '06(shortly after I quit Wing Chun). It was at the Okinawan Karate School. I studied it for about one and a quater year. I worked hard to learn how the japanese got so strong and I got strong as well! My weak physique turned int oa deadly fighting machine! I quit in May 2007 because of my job. I made it to Blue belt w/green stripe(in my style, blue w/green stripe is half way to black belt. One reason I quit was the fact that belts mean nothing to me, they are only good for decoration or holding your pants up! Karate and Wing Chun are completely different, but similar because of their roots in Shaolin Kung-Fu. I don't like forms or defending all the time, so yeah.

Vale-Tudo(combination of Brazillian Jui-Jitsu and Muay Thai)-In the middle of my karate training, the school had this style along with BJJ. So I decided to take it to amp the intensity and learn ground routines(because my strinking was excellent). I found out that my ground work was weak, but I learned to a decent level. I quit when I quit karate, so I never learned too much.

Well, I'll tell more about my MA history as soon as I see what others have to say!

Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki
01-04-2008, 11:29 PM
I've been taking martial arts since I was about 6 years-old. I went through about five years of a style called kajukenbo, and I earned my black belt. It started getting harder to get to my dojo, so I left. Now I'm taking a martial art that involves weapons called escrima (serata style, though I've done a little arnise). I also should be starting kendo soon.

darkjester
01-04-2008, 11:34 PM
^that is pretty impressive, both of you!

Me and my brother are HUGE into Martial Arts. We have created our own martial art team even. We practice (not formally though I do admit) Muay Thai, Capoeira, Kickboxing (I have studied with instructor for a little), Tae Kwon Do, Ninjutsu, Le Parkour (if considered), and we are now starting to learn Krav Maga moves and techniques.
We also choreograph fight scenes that show different style techniques (and once we get a decent camera we will film our stuff). Right now, well once it stops snowing and freezing here, we are trying to perfect a sword fight scene.

Zenx
01-04-2008, 11:42 PM
Blue Belt (promoting this month ^_^) in Gōjū-ryū karate. I'm actually ahead of most of my rank as far as katas go... knowing up to Seiunchin and have gone through Shisochin (but I was terrible -_-). I've been in for two-and-one-half years (skipped my yellow belt) and it's great! It's also about the only sport I can do <_<.

PanzerJager
01-04-2008, 11:42 PM
I never was into martial arts.. I fight freestyle although I did get close combat training from my uncle when I was in high school.. He was a Master Sargent in the army (mechanized infantry maybe?).. He broke several of my fingers one time, but I learned a lot from him..

My mom never forgave him for the finger incident.. I laugh about that now.

01-04-2008, 11:46 PM
I never was into martial arts.. I fight freestyle although I did get close combat training from my uncle when I was in high school.. He was a Master Sargent in the army (mechanized infantry maybe?).. He broke several of my fingers one time, but I learned a lot from him..

My mom never forgave him for the finger incident.. I laugh about that now.

You'd probably like kajukenbo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kajukenbo) then. It's very similar to basically street fighting. A lot of close combat and quick moving actions.

lightyagami
01-04-2008, 11:49 PM
Yes i am :-D. Currently an Orange belt in American Jiu Jitsu (combination of many MA such as the submissions and take downs of BJJ, the joint locks and holds of JJJ, the kicks and punches of Karate/Kung-Fu, the throws of Judo, and the power of Muay Thai.) I go to train twice a week. I much prefer Grappling to sparring, and we rarely spar in the teen class. But we grapple every class.

We also do stick and knife fighting there. and street defence.

Also on my schools varsity fencing team.

wolfgirl90
01-05-2008, 12:02 AM
I did TaeKwonDo for a while (up until I was a yellow belt) but I decided to do Judo (Kodokan style) instead (I was already knocking people down, so I decided to do the sport that involved knocking people over:laugh: ). I am a blue belt and compete in the Heavyweight division.

Hideki Motosuwa.
01-05-2008, 12:15 AM
Impressive! You guys and girls really know your stuff! Remind me to stay on your good sides! As for me, I never recieved weapons training and the only weapons training I do is informal Nunchaku. I actually learned to use Nunchucks on my own and am pretty good at it, and not to brag or anything, I can do it blindfolded.Nunchaku is my specialty! On a few occasions, we'd learn knife defense. I'm too poor to go to seminars($75-100 per seminar!). I'm in the small, crappy town of Pittsfield, Massachusetts, so there are no waepons training available anywhere! I'm not a bad swordsman, I am pretty good with escrima sticks, can really hit with the pole and can throw a knife. I recommend Dim mak(death touch) for people that wanna learn to kill. I like Jeet Kune Do, but it's rare to find a decent 1st or 2nd gen instructor. My dojo had like 18 different types of weapons that the instructors from all over the world would use to teach and demonstrate. I'll post more later, I'm really happy to see some of you are into martial arts!

01-05-2008, 12:31 AM
I remember doing a little Nunchaku. I can't afford seminars either XD! The style of escrima I'm doing involves a lot of small circle jujitsu. Which I must say is one of the most dangerous techniques I've ever practiced. Because of my short stature, I'm learning it almost a completely new way. I've already some essential pressure points on the body.

L***
01-05-2008, 01:46 AM
yes I know karate, ninjitsu, jet kundo, Jujutsu, Kung Fu, etc. I just don't care for wepons styles.

lightyagami
01-05-2008, 01:50 AM
Impressive! You guys and girls really know your stuff! Remind me to stay on your good sides! As for me, I never recieved weapons training and the only weapons training I do is informal Nunchaku. I actually learned to use Nunchucks on my own and am pretty good at it, and not to brag or anything, I can do it blindfolded.Nunchaku is my specialty! On a few occasions, we'd learn knife defense. I'm too poor to go to seminars($75-100 per seminar!). I'm in the small, crappy town of Pittsfield, Massachusetts, so there are no waepons training available anywhere! I'm not a bad swordsman, I am pretty good with escrima sticks, can really hit with the pole and can throw a knife. I recommend Dim mak(death touch) for people that wanna learn to kill. I like Jeet Kune Do, but it's rare to find a decent 1st or 2nd gen instructor. My dojo had like 18 different types of weapons that the instructors from all over the world would use to teach and demonstrate. I'll post more later, I'm really happy to see some of you are into martial arts!

I did one Nunchaku and one Kendo seminar, but whats the point? Like your ever going to have a pair of nunchucks on you for defence... may as well bring a gun rofl.

L***
01-05-2008, 01:53 AM
by lightyagami
Like your ever going to have a pair of nunchucks on you for defence... may as well bring a gun rofl.
true that is why I don't care for weapons. No point for them.

01-05-2008, 02:09 AM
I did one Nunchaku and one Kendo seminar, but whats the point? Like your ever going to have a pair of nunchucks on you for defence... may as well bring a gun rofl.

That's completely untrue. Sure nunchucks aren't the most useful weapon, however nunchaku is not just the practice of using the weapon, it also teaches you other techniques. There are no styles of martial arts that aren't useful.

L***
01-05-2008, 02:25 AM
by Pengin-san
That's completely untrue. Sure nunchucks aren't the most useful weapon, however nunchaku is not just the practice of using the weapon, it also teaches you other techniques. There are no styles of martial arts that aren't useful
But if your style is only weapons and the person you are fighting takes them what are you going to do. At most just run away. So it is best to learn unarmed fighting.( That is what I think. I know everyone has different ideas on it.)

Ollie
01-05-2008, 05:22 AM
Man, I wish I was! I'm only FINALLY taking a karate class, at my college. I'm afraid the only real knowledge I have of martial arts is what I learned from Avatar: The Next Airbender. ^^

Sagat
01-05-2008, 05:27 AM
I took jiujitsu and muay thai. I love both, muay thai first however.

I am so out of practice though, it's shameful really. I should probably change that.

poison.ivy
01-05-2008, 05:47 AM
I love martial arts, I like a lot of them and I would kill for a month in Anime world where u have a sensei that tortures u every day... Like Kenichi or Kenshin or anything like that. I used to train Shotokan Karate, but it just didn't gave me what I wanted: it's hard to find a Karate club with sensei that try to maintain the true spirit and train mind as well as the body. Now I train Kempo and it's just great, we meditate, we have @ss-killing practices and I feel that I'm calmer than before. I really like it. I also like Tae-Kwon-Do and Ninjutsu. My boyfriend used to train some Jujitsu, but since he's on college, he doesn't have time for it anymore. But he also trains Kendo for a few years. I like knowing about other martial arts, and I really like the ones with weapons of any kind. *sigh* But in my country, it's kinda hard to find some art like that. I doubt there's any other weapon-included martial art besides Kendo.

lightyagami
01-05-2008, 10:40 AM
Many dojo's including mine just throw some knife/stick fighting into the curiculem

snakegaer
01-05-2008, 11:01 AM
i did karate - shotokan just for fun for about 3 months
i would like to ask someone who did more than one type what do u thing is the best of all martial arts that is useful in real life today????
thanks

Bionicman
01-05-2008, 11:54 AM
I train Ninjutsu. But I'm pausing right now because I injured my knee:(

gaburieru
01-05-2008, 01:07 PM
Here comes the newbie xD Well I used to train judo before. I made it to orange. I quit because I wanted to focus on school to 100&#37;.

Hideki Motosuwa.
01-05-2008, 05:56 PM
Hey, Snakegaer, I would recommend Dim Mak or Chin-na and a combiantion of Brazillian Jui-Jitsu. Or Muay Thai with Jui-Jitsu. Karate and Kung-Fu are all about forms, which is quite useless. Jeet Kune Do is Bruce Lee's martial art and it is really effective because it has no forms and concentrates heavily on simplicity and economy of movement. And remember, there are no rules on the street, so do anything and everything you can! I discovered that Karate is too defensive, Kung-Fu(Wing Chun) is too offensive and others lack the essentials. I suggest you choose for yourself, but these are my personal recommendations from a few years of studying and experimenting! Enjoy!:)

WestIndieGirl
01-05-2008, 05:59 PM
I did karate for a little bit, but then I had to quit because my grades weren't that great >.<

Innovative
01-05-2008, 09:17 PM
Shotokan karate - 1st kyu.

Aikako
01-05-2008, 09:27 PM
Kickboxing for about 2 years, earned I think a Yellow before quitting to do dance.

>.>

╬Karami Mew~Meow
01-05-2008, 09:28 PM
<--loves martial arts
Yup. My dad has the name "Black rat" in the old days, but with out that prober training that you gotta pay and stuff, they do it more adventurously, and harder, but that just makes them better. My dad knows a few great martial artist in my country. That's why I wanna get back there as soon as possible so I can learn it from the bests ..before they die >.<
I don't go to that "proper training" where you get belt ranks thingys, I learn martial arts by myself with a little help from my father, and make my own styles and moves. Except when I went to our school's (in the philippines) summer schooling, and there I learned the basics, and did the rest by myself.
I like martial arts with weapons the most, like:
Kali/Eskrima/Escrima: Filipino martial arts. With two sticks. btw, bruce lee learned his escrima from a filipino, Dan Inusanto. So, yea, for Kali, filpinos are the best. That's why I put Kali in one of my lists.
I like learning nun chucks (is learning that now), and mastering other weapons. I would also like to learn Tae Kwon Do, so I can learn Taki's (soul calibur) moves easily lol.
My cousin's doing brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. He likes throwing stuff -_-;
And, I think the martial arts I was doing when I was doing the basics was Shodokan ...yea, that's it. My 2 uncles are learning them too. *wants to train hard so I can challenge my uncles and kick there @ss. ^.^

Elphaba
01-05-2008, 09:31 PM
i would love to learn martial arts. it sounds so cool.

Hideki Motosuwa.
01-05-2008, 10:20 PM
Well you sound pretty enthusiastic about learning martial arts. Well, I hope you do learn and in my opinion, it's for anybody, but...you'll have to train pretty hard, atleast a few days a week for good results. You know, I've never heard anyone so fanatical and enthusiastic about martial arts. I think if you apply yourself and do it with determination, I'm sure you'll be an awesome martial artist(probably better than me, 'cause I haven't been to a dojo or kwoon since May of '07). Dojo means MA school in Japanese, and kwoon is MA school in Chinese. And girls can do martial arts too, I know, because I've sparred with some of the black belt girls, and they all kicked my butt because it was my first few weeks there. Good Luck, I'm sure you'll like it!:)

01-05-2008, 11:02 PM
I like martial arts with weapons the most, like:
Kali/Eskrima/Escrima: Filipino martial arts. With two sticks. btw, bruce lee learned his escrima from a filipino, Dan Inusanto. So, yea, for Kali, filpinos are the best. That's why I put Kali in one of my lists.
I like learning nun chucks (is learning that now), and mastering other weapons. I would also like to learn Tae Kwon Do, so I can learn Taki's (soul calibur) moves easily lol.
My cousin's doing brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. He likes throwing stuff -_-;
And, I think the martial arts I was doing when I was doing the basics was Shodokan ...yea, that's it. My 2 uncles are learning them too. *wants to train hard so I can challenge my uncles and kick there @ss. ^.^

Oh wow! What style of escrima do you take? I love escrima, and I'm starting to use kamas (which scare me XD!).

Girls can do martial arts just as well as men. There is no real difference, except for girls like which are an amazing 5'1" tall XD! However, when you learn martial art from an incredibly short stature, the experience changes. In small circle jujitsu, instead of learning most of the pressure points on the head and neck, I learn more in the stomach, hip, and genital area. It adds a whole new kind of danger into the world XD!

Miss Tsukkii
01-05-2008, 11:20 PM
Well I did some Shotokan Karate. I was orange belt, but my mom forced me to stop cause of the price and the fact that I was begining high school... bleh, I wanted to continue >.>

sataned
01-05-2008, 11:45 PM
im into martial arts ... ive never taken any class or learned any style though ...
but i kinduh have my own style ;D someday i shall reveal it to the world...
the day i do, im sure people are gonna think its like some Jeet kune do or something

CrimsonMoon
01-06-2008, 12:05 AM
Never really into martial arts. But last year, I had to practice Silat (Malay martial art) and I realized how rusty I was. Maybe I should take Judo or Taekwando if I enter university this year.

╬Karami Mew~Meow
01-06-2008, 07:54 PM
Oh wow! What style of escrima do you take? I love escrima, and I'm starting to use kamas (which scare me XD!).

Girls can do martial arts just as well as men. There is no real difference, except for girls like which are an amazing 5'1" tall XD! However, when you learn martial art from an incredibly short stature, the experience changes. In small circle jujitsu, instead of learning most of the pressure points on the head and neck, I learn more in the stomach, hip, and genital area. It adds a whole new kind of danger into the world XD!

Kool. I'm trying to master escrima sticks first, before I go to other escrima weapons. After sticks, I'm gonna go with dagger next. I did try using daggers too. And I still lack concentration -_- I still have to practice them being alone before being surrounded.

That reminds me, my dad was teaching other kids back then for free, and he had a pack of them. Then, there was an intruder/robber, then my dad instructed his students to surround the area, then my dad encountered the person, and he hit the man's guts was it, and he killed the man. I think it was by accident cause the man sneaked up on him, and he didn't get blamed for anything, so that's good.
My dad had hit alot of people by mistake, cause they keep on sneaking up on him. Just like what happened in the theater, he hit his friend by accident cause he sneaked up on him -_-;

Sometimes I just get so uncomfortable being to tall, so I have to bend more for balance. And perfect martial arts for me I'm assuming, is Tea Kwon Do since I'm a girl, and has longer kicks.

Nausicaa
01-07-2008, 12:58 PM
I have been taking martial arts since I was 8. I do not have a direct stye, I like to take moves from alot of different arts and put them togther. I would say that the effectiveness is very precise, the moves focus on a quick kill. The flaws are slim, but one of the flaws, is that if you have weak ankles and you are not flexiable, you will lose.

Hideki Motosuwa.
01-07-2008, 02:16 PM
To me, it's never wrong to take moves from other styles and use them in yours. You are doing well, but flexibility is a need in combat. You never know when being flexible can help you in a real fight. Do your best to condition evry part of your self, even the ankles. I'd say you are doing the right thing, good for you!

vixen_wolf
01-07-2008, 02:19 PM
well yeah i was takeing classes for a long time and loved it!! but then we didnt have any money for it anymore so i had to give it up T.T. i still practice alot but its not the same -sighs- well if i ever get the chance to take it again i will ^.^ -wagz tail-

Hideki Motosuwa.
01-07-2008, 02:38 PM
You know, you should try a school with a scholarship program or a finacial aid program, that's what I did and it helped, but unfortunately I had to quit 'cause of my job. Atleast you are still practicing, so even if you don't go to the dojo anymore, you still practice whatever knowledge you have learned, and that's what counts!

Lune Cy
01-08-2008, 02:54 AM
just karate for me ^^

stopped 10 years ago ^^...went 3 years or so to karate

Hideki Motosuwa.
01-08-2008, 03:51 PM
I always thought that most martial arts was just for show. I was right, when trying to use these moves during sparring sessions and experiments. I like the fact that Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan, Jet Li, Donnie Yen, etc. have brought honor to our people by making movies stnading up for China and showing how cool Asia was. But now, people think that if you are asian that you are naturally good at fighting(ignorant a$$holes!). Honestly, asians are not the best fighters. Now our guys that practice Kung-Fu and Karate are getting creamed and submitted by those Brazillian Ju-jitsu practitioners! I hate the constant challenges, but what can I do? I still have the skills and speed to take most down, but I just don't wanna! So what do you people think?

Gizoku
01-08-2008, 04:40 PM
Im actually teaching myself kendo. Its tough.

Hideki Motosuwa.
01-08-2008, 08:50 PM
Hang in there Gizoku! I wonder if anyone besides me have done(or heard of them)any of the martial arts I've described when I first posted the new thread?

01-08-2008, 09:49 PM
Im actually teaching myself kendo. Its tough.

Goodness! Well, if you ever, EVER need any help, feel free to ask! But that's quite an accomplishment there. I don't think I could ever teach myself a martial art.

Brazilian jujitsu is cool and all (then again I've never really tried it), but just take a look at this "Dance of Pain". This is what I'm learning currently, which is small circle jujitsu:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ms8ovPL5ApU

That's just one of the small part of small circle. The person performing that is Wally Jay, the founder. It just amazes me.

Sagat
01-09-2008, 07:35 AM
im into martial arts ... ive never taken any class or learned any style though ...
but i kinduh have my own style ;D someday i shall reveal it to the world...
the day i do, im sure people are gonna think its like some Jeet kune do or something

Oh, this should be interesting. I bet a yellow belt TKD student would be able to beat you.

How someone has the ignorance and audacity to talk about their own style like it has any merit when they've never taken any formal training is beyond me.

I would wager your basic boxing skills are sub par at best, your kicks laughable and based on anime, and your jiujitsu and ground skills non-existent.

Arcxcia
01-09-2008, 10:22 AM
I want to learn martial arts, but my mom don't allow me to do so... Sad...

Hideki Motosuwa.
01-09-2008, 06:35 PM
You know, that is sad, I think everyone deserves to enjoy martial arts, 'cause I certainly have! Your mom sounds like the kind of person that dosen't wanna see you hurt. I can relate, but since my whole family has a martial arts history, I'm not so surprised! Good Luck with that and don't worry about it.

-Kitsune-
01-09-2008, 08:58 PM
I've been wanting to learn martial arts too, my brother is a blackbelt and he said that he absolutely loved it so I wanted to try it too. Unfortunately, there are only two karate/matial arts dojos in this town. One got closed to make a computer store and my brother said the other one isn't any good. Besides, my mom doesn't wanna pay for me to hit things >_>;

Hopefully I can get into martial arts sometime soon...

Hideki Motosuwa.
01-09-2008, 10:01 PM
I'm sure you'll find a martial art for you! I do believe that all martial arts schools should have financial aid or scholarships for free classes for kids who really need them! Maybe you can ask your brother to teach you?

Ollie
01-10-2008, 12:02 AM
Oh, this should be interesting. I bet a yellow belt TKD student would be able to beat you.

How someone has the ignorance and audacity to talk about their own style like it has any merit when they've never taken any formal training is beyond me.

I would wager your basic boxing skills are sub par at best, your kicks laughable and based on anime, and your jiujitsu and ground skills non-existent.
Hey now. Sissy slap-fighting is a legit fighting style, too. Or could be. :O

Arcxcia
01-10-2008, 12:33 AM
You know, that is sad, I think everyone deserves to enjoy martial arts, 'cause I certainly have! Your mom sounds like the kind of person that dosen't wanna see you hurt. I can relate, but since my whole family has a martial arts history, I'm not so surprised! Good Luck with that and don't worry about it.

Wow! So you know martial art! That's great. Ya, I suppose my mom doesn't want to see me hurt. So, how's the history?

-Kitsune-
01-10-2008, 05:01 AM
I'm sure you'll find a martial art for you! I do believe that all martial arts schools should have financial aid or scholarships for free classes for kids who really need them! Maybe you can ask your brother to teach you?
Yeah, it's not that we dont have the money, my mom just doesnt want to pay for something that she thinks is "improper" for a girl to learn. And I never get to see my brother more than once or twice a year so he can't teach me. I was learning a bit from one of my friends that took classes until she moved away >.>

Hideki Motosuwa.
01-10-2008, 06:01 PM
In the martial arts world, Bruce Lee is viewed upon as the "Greatest marital artist of the 20th century", or "The Greatest martial artist of all time!" I think the man was an inspiration to so many of us to not only become better marital artists, but better human beings. Many people believe he was the best and the REAL deal, while others say he was so FAKE and couldn't beat anyone in the UFC or other greats of the martial arts world. Bruce Lee did say this: "To tell you the truth, I can beat anyone in the world." I wonder if he really could back up those words. So, what are your thoughts on Bruce Lee as a martial artist?

╬Karami Mew~Meow
01-10-2008, 07:37 PM
Ya, I suppose my mom doesn't want to see me hurt.
Yup, at first my mom didn't want me to learn even just the basics at first, for the same reason, but luckily my dad was their to back me up, and my mom realized I could totally handle it since I pretty determined.

Yes, Bruce Lee's pretty awesome. Jackie Chan's getting old, at least that's what my martial arts addicted cousin said. But he's still pretty good too.
I'm learning Eskrima and Nun chucks at the same time, but I haven't practiced for a while =( I just wanna do it by my self next time cause when my dad sees me, he comments right away even in my first move, even though I'm just getting started. So, I get pissed even though I know he's trying to make me improve, but I already know when I'm making a mistake this time, and that's why I'm trying to improve it my self. And for that, he can't really make me do it right, because it's up to my hands/flexibility, and like, my own body is the only one that could improve it. *sigh*

Hideki Motosuwa.
01-11-2008, 01:12 PM
Why is it that when you talk about martial arts to the general public, people start to get nervous or shy away from the subject? And why are they so silent and prefer to talk about something else?

Akira Kogami[LC]
01-19-2008, 07:45 PM
I do taekwando.

Im a first degree black belt.

:D

Even though its more of a sport.

Hideki Motosuwa.
01-19-2008, 08:10 PM
;1950157']I do taekwando.

Im a first degree black belt.

:D

Even though its more of a sport.
That's good.

Brewmaster
02-09-2008, 12:21 PM
Well me hmmm here goes:
Karate,Taekwondo,Jiu Jitsu(not sure if you know about this)kick box, i also trained myself in the use of long objects like pols and big sticks,some sword arts,throwing knifes(when i was young) if you can consider some of this into martial arts.^^

Hideki Motosuwa.
02-09-2008, 05:53 PM
Wow, I didn't know there were sooo many marital artists on AF! That's great. I wish I could go back to my old schools, but I'm broke, and I just don't have the time to.

Sagat
02-09-2008, 06:30 PM
There's not that many martial artists on AF. Those who "taught" themselves come no where close to counting.

And .. although technically one could consider practicing a martial art without competing a "martial artist", in my mind unless you compete against others to test yourself and refine your skills, you're only a half-assed martial artist.

My case in point is this girl back when I was in TKD in high school who was a red belt. Considered herself tough, bragged about her TKD occasionally. She fancied herself a true practitioner. However, she never really competed. Just practiced techniques and katas. One of my best memories is when she allowed my friend Mike the "honour" of sparring against her. Mike, for all intensive purposes, reminds me of Ryu from street fighter. He landed a back kick on her that knocked the wind out of her.

Fight over. Who is the real martial artist?

Just a gripe I wanted to make.

Brewmaster
02-09-2008, 09:05 PM
Well that is true Sagat and you have a point.I also have friends who bragged about having a black belt but when they fight poof they fall like grass!^^ Well for the self taught things well sword fighting i didn't learn by my self though i did pole fighting using many movies.^^ For competition i did allot of spar matches in Taekwondo really much in Karate you don't have much of those and in kick box allot of them to.Don't thinks if its a spar match that they are less dangerous we hit with everything we got!:ninja:

~*Red*~
02-09-2008, 09:14 PM
I did karate for a while, got the first belt, then quit, because it was too hard to balance it and school together.

Azel
02-09-2008, 10:36 PM
No. I watched an episode of Naruto once though.

allaboutyou3678
02-09-2008, 10:41 PM
I have no martial arts training. Although I would love to take anything sword based, But alas there is nothing in my area.

Hideki Motosuwa.
03-19-2008, 08:59 PM
Well that is true Sagat and you have a point.I also have friends who bragged about having a black belt but when they fight poof they fall like grass!^^ Well for the self taught things well sword fighting i didn't learn by my self though i did pole fighting using many movies.^^ For competition i did allot of spar matches in Taekwondo really much in Karate you don't have much of those and in kick box allot of them to.Don't thinks if its a spar match that they are less dangerous we hit with everything we got!:ninja:
Bruce Lee once said that, "The only thing belts are good for are to hold your pants up." I believe he was right, b/c the belt system in martial arts(in my opinion and in his) doesn't always determine how good you are. I've actually heard of Bruce sparring and winning against black-belts at the International Karate Championships back in the mid '60s. I've only made it half way to black belt(for my system) in one of the martial arts that I used to take, and I've sparred black belts before in my dojo and I guess that the belt really doesn't make the man. But I can say that I will lose to anyone in a real fight. It's almost been a full year since I officially left my dojo, and I really wish I didn't, but there were simply too many other things I had to do at the time.

Faceless111
03-19-2008, 09:52 PM
There's not that many martial artists on AF. Those who "taught" themselves come no where close to counting.

And .. although technically one could consider practicing a martial art without competing a "martial artist", in my mind unless you compete against others to test yourself and refine your skills, you're only a half-assed martial artist.

My case in point is this girl back when I was in TKD in high school who was a red belt. Considered herself tough, bragged about her TKD occasionally. She fancied herself a true practitioner. However, she never really competed. Just practiced techniques and katas. One of my best memories is when she allowed my friend Mike the "honour" of sparring against her. Mike, for all intensive purposes, reminds me of Ryu from street fighter. He landed a back kick on her that knocked the wind out of her.

Fight over. Who is the real martial artist?

Just a gripe I wanted to make.I love this post because it is full of the truth. I really don't like to judge a martial artist by what they say they are capable of. I personally like to see what they are capable of.

And I'm so happy that that girl got the wind knocked out of her. She deserved it. I've seen a couple self-proclaimed "martial artists" get their butts handed to them and it makes me so happy. And it makes me humble. I don't brag about studying martial arts because I know a few things. A) Taking up martial arts doesn't automatically make you invincible. B) Not one style is perfect. It usually depends on the practitioner. And C) if you don't have actual combat experience, you should just shut up.

Anyways, to answer the topic at hand, I study Chang Moo Kwan Tae Kwon Do. I have been to a tournament, but didn't do so well. I'm currently ranked 3rd Gup, which is practically junior black belt (it's red with two black stripes). I'm not an awesome martial artist, but I thoroughly enjoy it. The workout is stress-relieving and I always have a good time when I go to class because there's just good company there.

MooT
03-19-2008, 10:56 PM
Kung Fu :D for 5 years and Wushu for 4 years and still going. Wushu is awesome. Hands down.

International 4-8818
03-19-2008, 11:30 PM
I am more into straight forward American fighting. The whole martial arts thing just looks to fancy and unnecessary.

Sagat
03-20-2008, 06:21 AM
I am more into straight forward American fighting. The whole martial arts thing just looks to fancy and unnecessary.

Which is about an ignorant statement as they can possibly come.

qG.Shogun
03-20-2008, 06:39 AM
I'm currently doing muay tai and jiu jutsu i train 5 times a week.

Thingle
03-20-2008, 08:09 AM
I use a mixture of brawling and some greco-roman wrestling. You'll forget all those fancy karate moves in a real fight, so you just need to clinch and strike, sometimes take the poor guy down from the clinch and pound him on the ground.

03-20-2008, 08:38 AM
I use a mixture of brawling and some greco-roman wrestling. You'll forget all those fancy karate moves in a real fight, so you just need to clinch and strike, sometimes take the poor guy down from the clinch and pound him on the ground.

Sounds cool, but that's not necessarily true. Martial arts can be an art form, but it does teach quite a lot of self defense. Most people who aren't really dedicated feel that all they want to do is beat the crap out of someone. You may not remember punch counter #3, but you will certainly use many of the same strikes in the technique. You just have to train long enough until it's engraved in your mind, and it's almost second nature to use those strikes. That's why anyone in martial arts will tell you that they have to do the same drill over and over and over again everyday. Not only that, but martial arts increases your balance, control, and overall awareness.

Dxon
03-20-2008, 10:02 AM
I did Judo for a while. But at some point when new guys came in I heard what I didn't hear when I came in new. "You may not use Judo outside the dojo..".
That just sucked. Now I had no reason to do Judo. It began to bore me anyway. So I quit. :)

Trisseh
03-20-2008, 10:05 AM
I took one lesson of karate, but it wasn't official because I was a 5 year old attending my brother's junior high class >> Didn't stop them from hurting me ;_;

Sagat
03-20-2008, 10:12 AM
You'll forget all those fancy karate moves in a real fight,

That's the entire point of reflexive training. Not that it is done as often as it should be in some martial arts, though.