PDA

View Full Version : Online Privacy..

PanzerJager
01-02-2008, 10:53 PM
Most people don't think like me so they end up putting information out on the internet which would let people with the proper knowledge find out who they are.. personally I'm pretty careful about giving out obvious information, but I really couldn't thing of any real problems that could come out of knowing who/were I am..

Most people aren't very careful because they think they are safe, but you should remember that anyone with a computer and internet can find out anything about you with nothing but a phone number and/or name.

Maybe I'm just paranoid.. I probably doesn't help that I'm tired and half drunk (I'm might just be too drunk to think I am.. Does that make sense?)..

Wio
01-02-2008, 11:04 PM
I like signing up for places that require for you to give them a credit card number. It gives me the same high that you get from the slots, but without the head ache.

Sanosuke23
01-02-2008, 11:20 PM
I'm not dumb when it comes to giving out information on the internet, but there are times when I may slip.

International 4-8818
01-02-2008, 11:21 PM
PanzerJager, Sanosuke23, and User_name i am sorry to inform you that your PayPal account has been frozen until you send the information below to international 4-8818.

http://www.international-lisp-conference.org/2005/paypal-screen-2.jpg

Elphaba
01-03-2008, 12:54 PM
the only time i give out information is when i am sure that it is someone i know
like a best friend.
other then that i say nothing at all.

jewel2sparkle
01-03-2008, 02:51 PM
Yeah, I'm pretty careful over the internet. The last thing I want to become is another tragic story on the Dr. Phil show.

SuXrys
02-03-2008, 08:18 AM
I dont really have problems with telling things about myself on the internet. I dont mind that they, for example, knows my name and such. That is, anyway, information you could get almost anywere if u really want to. I dont really see the problem, ofc I dont smile and give ppl my credit card number :) but you know, its almost the same thing with meeting someone in the town or out in a pub, you often tell them something about yourself. I just think that's its little paranoid if u dont even wants to tell ppl you name/town/country and such when you are out on the internet, I think that its very rare that someone in another country thinks: "gosh, so his name is X, now I have to kill him! hahahah" :closedeye

Name/town/country ... OK!
Credit card number/ >_>

Leorina
02-03-2008, 08:44 AM
I thought it'd be obvious that when someone asks where you live, your number, your name, and they are overly-nice on the Internet, they usually want something.

Hideki Motosuwa.
02-03-2008, 08:48 AM
I guess that I'm not that safe, because I do have some information in my profile and other profiles that are dead giveaways to who I am... I think it's time to keep my information private.

SuXrys
02-03-2008, 08:50 AM
I thought it'd be obvious that when someone asks where you live, your number, your name, and they are overly-nice on the Internet, they usually want something.

"Overly-nice"? Maybe they just have a good manner! ^^
...I know what you mean, the phone-number thing I maybe wouldnt say to someone I dont know, but I dont see any harm with the name and were I live (country and such), that is still information many already show here. Its anyway almost the same thing with bump into someone in the town.

I only think that too many people have too much paranoia these days, but this is still a world-wide sociaty so it maybe comes from that. :unsure: You are alone these days as before.

Myrra
02-03-2008, 08:52 AM
you could try googling me, but you'll still be clueless (i've googled both screen and real names and you get nothing on me). I keep the settings on all my on-line journals and suck to private (no worries about future employers perusing my innermost thoughts). I'm a fairly private person and don't give out too much info about myself. And recalling one of my favourite quotes, "Just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you."
It's always best to err on the side of caution than to make a mistake you may not live to regret (or live with identity theft and no more bank account).

MissChelly
02-03-2008, 06:07 PM
I'm fine with giving my name and city... but home address and number to a perfect stranger? Nah. Other more revealing info? Definitely not.

Heck, my friend wanted to get me more serious about the privacy stuff a few years back. The info I had in my old LJ account he was able to use to get into my hotmail account... you know where they have the question that they'll ask you if you forgot your password that if you answer correct, it'll unlock? Yeah well... never pick an answer you may give away in a post. Ex: don't state your mother's maiden name in your blog if it's also the answer to the password question.
I had completely forgot about the password question, psssh. I learned my lesson... luckily it was him who got into my account just to spook me, not someone else. Naturally though, I changed my password AND hint question.

StabWound
02-03-2008, 06:12 PM
I'm always behind several proxies and firewalls, and never give out my information, nor buy things online.

So I don't worry to much.

Asriel
02-03-2008, 07:09 PM
I'll only give out specefic info if i'm sure I can defenitly trust people or if I know its most likely to be a safe website which normally you can't find anymore =_=

╬Karami Mew~Meow
02-03-2008, 07:14 PM
Yup, I'm mostly concerned bout those things. I don't just go ahead and write my real info. (specially my name, I just put my nick, same with last name)
It just depends on what I'm signing up for.

Meyrin
02-03-2008, 07:19 PM
I don't worry too much.

Fabala
02-03-2008, 07:33 PM
Years ago I stumbled across someone's online collection of personal pictures. As I flipped through a few of them (cute kitty pictures!) I marveled over just how much information I could figure out about this girl (Kat) from her pictures alone. It didn't help that she was a fool in naming them, but I wouldn't have needed even that to find out her full name, what university she attended, what subjects she was taking, where she lived, how many brothers and sisters she had, how many and what kind of pets she had, what her boyfriend looked like and was named, and even what some of her interests were.

Interestingly enough, I was able to search for her full name and find her personal website (including resume) where I was able to confirm ALL of my findings. However, I would have had the same information without that site.

Scary, isn't it?

overwatch
02-03-2008, 07:44 PM
Thing is Fabala - spend a short amount of time with a person - like meeting them on a uni course - and you can get all the details you mention withing a short space of time - details like that people don't think of hiding from people on the web because its the simple everydays stuff that they talk about -- friends, family, pets, what they are doing at the moment.

Fabala
02-03-2008, 07:58 PM
People don't like to hide their personal home address from people on the web? News to me.

Yes, I got her FULL address.

overwatch
02-03-2008, 08:03 PM
ahh Full address - that is something better hidden -- you just said where she lived ;) so I assumed town or county

Souhi
02-03-2008, 08:03 PM
It's just really easy to land in this comfort zone on the internet, especially when you follow other people's example. Places like forums and social networking sites create this environment where you never really think about your information being in a "public" place.

Besides on MSN, I don't give out information about my address, phone number, etc. I'm almost positive I've let out some piece of info that I might regret sometime though o.O;

And I completely argue with Fabala. It's unbelievably easy to follow a trail of info a person leaves behind, learning surprisingly detailed stuff. Maybe not enough to contact them, but still more than most people realize.

Fabala
02-03-2008, 08:06 PM
I take it you mean agree XD

I mean, I knew it was fairly easy to track people down, but it was so blatantly obvious in her case that I couldn't help but feel concerned about how much a skilled stalker would be able to discover.

MasterLuna
02-03-2008, 08:15 PM
I usually keep my information private. And even if you googled my real name and last name, you'd still get nothing on me. x] I've only given out my cell phone number but that's about it. And I've talked to those people too and I trust them. =] I'm not dumb enough to give out say my house address or something because that's just stupid. o_O; It's almost the same as begging someone to just come over and kill you or something. I became paranoid from my mom by her telling me all these horror stories about chatting with strangers online. >_> Ya just gotta be careful is all.

Ball Tripper
02-03-2008, 08:19 PM
I'm not careful in the least. I'm past the age where I need to worry about creep-o's finding out where I live, and I have bad credit so haha at whoever steals my identity.

Zwaztika
02-03-2008, 08:27 PM
I don't mind to give my real name or my personality informations.
But I don't want to give my phone number, credit card number, and my specific address.

Souhi
02-03-2008, 08:29 PM
I take it you mean agree XD

I mean, I knew it was fairly easy to track people down, but it was so blatantly obvious in her case that I couldn't help but feel concerned about how much a skilled stalker would be able to discover.

Dang, I got typo-tied.

Well that's embarrassing. But anyway, you're right xD I was browsing Facebook this past week, and complete strangers in my school network were just open books to me. I knew their addresses, schedules, school activities, and all that. Out of maybe 20-25 profiles, maybe 5 people actually bothered setting themselves to private.

Grod
02-03-2008, 08:35 PM
I always use a multiple proxies, I never give out any information and I'm extremely careful.

No one can touch me.

They should be looking out for me.:)

Raidou Kuzunoha
02-03-2008, 10:43 PM
The information I usually give out is the country I live in and maybe my age.

If I am questioned further, I might answer more depending on the person and what the question actually is.