PDA

View Full Version : What would exist if nothing existed?

alarix
12-31-2007, 06:50 PM
Now before you reply with "nothing... duh" (like what the last person I asked said to me), think about it.

Imagine if nothing existed. No darkness. No space. No emptyness. No pizza.

Something has to exist, right...?

jewel2sparkle
12-31-2007, 07:00 PM
The human mind cannot really fathom this experience.

Knuffle Bunny
12-31-2007, 07:00 PM
Paradoxical. Not to mention a pointless question.
Literally "nothing" would exist.

Eris
12-31-2007, 07:03 PM

No. It doesn't. What you're describing sounds like the universe before the big bang. The big bang was the creation of space-time (matter is a by-product of that), so before the big bang, there was no space-time. Not just no planets, there was no universe for the planets to be in; and no time for the planets to not exist in.

You can imagine this by gradually removing spacial dimensions. Start with a room, three spacial dimensions and time, move in all directions while you can, walk in circles--jump, move your arms. Then you imagine one dimension collapsing; the world is now two dimensional. You can not move up or down (indeed, nothing exists there), just sideways. Like a drawing on a paper. Then another dimension collapses, and you're one dimensional. You can now only move along one line. But you're fine, since there still is that dimension, you can imagine it as a really long and narrow tube, so you can't walk sideways or turn around in, only backwards and forwards. Then, that dimension collapses as well, you're now zero-dimensional. You can not move at all. There is not nothing all around you, because there is no all around you. But heh, there is still time. So, you sit in your point in space and wait, until time collapses. And hey presto, space and time does not exist. Now ponder on that for a moment. You are in nothingness. Not emptiness, nothingness. The universe itself does not exist (also, feel free to ponder whether it ever did?)

Magisha
12-31-2007, 07:05 PM
Eh? *tilts head to the side*

If nothing existed, how can anything exist. If there was no oxygen, no living things can exist. . . Basically, if nothing, as in not a speck of dirt or any air, that techinically means, "nothing," will exist. . . O____o

If there is nothing that exists, there will be nothing that has to exist. . . O______o

Ugh, now I'm confusing myself.

demon_girl_
12-31-2007, 07:27 PM
hmm, if nothing exsited, then wouldn't there just be darkness at each corner you run to?i think it's kind of like being in a silent black hole, nowhere to go, just stuck there in a never ending blackness.but i do agree with what Eris had to say, that makes since to, but i do myself see things a bit diffrently from the others, more of a active imagination, like it could turn into alice in wonderland and all of a sudden you see cheshire cat's teeth come out of hiding in the dark, so yeah i guess there is something even if there is nothing in the first place.sorry if that really doesn't click, im speaking in my terms,lol.

haku_of_mist
12-31-2007, 07:32 PM
Paradoxical. Not to mention a pointless question.
Literally "nothing" would exist.

I agree. There's really no answer to this.

Knuffle Bunny
12-31-2007, 07:36 PM
No. It doesn't. What you're describing sounds like the universe before the big bang. The big bang was the creation of space-time (matter is a by-product of that), so before the big bang, there was no space-time. Not just no planets, there was no universe for the planets to be in; and no time for the planets to not exist in.

If you believe in Christianity , God created [I]something from nothing. He just said a few words. =3

If we look at it scientifically though, it contradicts the idea. Science claims nothing can be made without something.
"Matter from nothing? Preposterous." x3 So in fact, scientists believe that there had to be something that triggered the Big Bang.
So, actually, no Eris, according to science, there had to be something.

According to Christianity: If there truly was "nothing" then there would be no God. Because God is something, something "uncomprehendable", but still something. And without God, there would be nothing, because God created something from nothing.

According to science: There couldn't have been "nothing" if something is created from it.

So the two contradict eachother, guess it depends on what you believe in.

@Haku of Mist - See? There is an answer! =3

the_last_icarian
12-31-2007, 07:36 PM
Eh? *tilts head to the side*

If nothing existed, how can anything exist. If there were no oxygen, no living things can exist. . . Basically, if nothing, as in not a speck of dirt or any air, that basically means, "nothing," will exist. . . O____o

If there is nothing that exists, there will be nothing that has to exist. . . O______o

Ugh, now I'm confusing myself.

Hehe, me too. Maybe we should just be glad that something exists! I mean, we're here, aren't we?

Hideki Motosuwa.
12-31-2007, 07:42 PM
Aaaahhh! That makes my brain hurt! To me, the question is: What color would nothingness be? When you close your eyes, you see a blend of colors in the black... but if nothing was there, would the color be black? I mean if there is nothingness, then we can't see any color, but there is no such thing as no color because there is always a color?

overwatch
12-31-2007, 07:48 PM
You ask me what would exist if there was a situation where nothing existed - so I reply that there would be nothing at all - because that is the status.
The pre-big bang and God have nothing to do with this because you have already stated that in the world setting there is nothing - no colour, no dimensions - even time - now that boggles the mind to consider.
However, many here are taking the line that you mean before the big bang and to that I reply with the line "its all theory today; tomorrow it will be wrong and in a 100 years it will be laughable" such is the way science of what we only scrape at understanding goes

edit - you say there must be something - why must there be anything? Justify that line to me please as the only answer I can think of is linked to Gods - and in nothing there are no gods/god

Elphaba
12-31-2007, 08:16 PM
yeah something has to exist
but i just don't know what
so confused

sa5m
12-31-2007, 08:17 PM
If nothing existed, then we would not be here contemplating whether or not anything existed. : D

Shia_san
12-31-2007, 08:24 PM
okay, is anyone, other than me, confused here?
>tilts head to one side< nothing exists...so isn't nothing something????:confused: idk...don't ask me.

overwatch
12-31-2007, 08:27 PM
nope - nothing is nothing - not a single thing at all - not black, not dark, not time, not space, not an atom, not god
nothing - easy to write down - but not something the human mind can truly imagine

Masali
12-31-2007, 09:05 PM
If you believe in Christianity [I know bringing religion was a bad idea, but Eris mentioned Big Bang so, I just felt the urge], God created something from nothing. He just said a few words. =3

It's funny you used christianity and Eris in the same sentence without any negative connotation surrounding "Christianity".

Anywho, there's nothingness around you, And you can represent that anyway you want. Personally, if I was surrounded by the darkness of space I'd represent it as black. If I was surrounded by nothingness, and not darkness it'd be a dull gray to me. But it is difficult to fathom, maybe impossible. But it's fun to try!

Future_Defense
12-31-2007, 09:47 PM
The problem is, if nothing exists than nothing exists. The human mind cannot comprehend nothingness, so this question is kind of void.

PanzerJager
12-31-2007, 10:08 PM
If we look at it scientifically though, it contradicts the idea. Science claims nothing can be made without something.

There was something that caused the Big Bang, but science has not been able to say what it was.. As for people who just dismiss the Big Bang as a theory, I say that gravity is just a theory too..

According to Christianity: If there truly was "nothing" then there would be no God. Because God is something, something "uncomprehendable", but still something. And without God, there would be nothing, because God created something from nothing.

All religions are just products of man's attempts to understand why things happen, but have never actually been accepted as proof of anything by anyone who is (or was) intelligent..

If this offends any of you indoctrinated people, please forgive my heretical ramblings.. XD

Eris
01-01-2008, 06:07 AM

Science does not claim something can be made without something. You're making the fundamental error of thinking that time is linear, and existed before the big bang. Creation of matter requires time; if there is no time, nothing can be added or removed. But in all time, the universe has always existed. What we're discussing is the events before time, so to speak.

"Matter from nothing? Preposterous." x3 So in fact, scientists believe that there had to be something that triggered the Big Bang.

That is an intuitive argument that does not follow from the basic principles of science. Many things in science are intuitively preposterous, never the less correct. Like the fact that the earth is round.

So, actually, no Eris, according to science, there had to be something.

That is down right wrong.

That I cannot comment upon.

According to science: There couldn't have been "nothing" if something is created from it.

That is wrong again.

So the two contradict eachother, guess it depends on what you believe in.

How... do they contradict each other? You seem to be making the same argument for both cases.

Famahama
01-01-2008, 06:15 AM
space perhaps? or hell. or maybe heaven.

Aizmov
01-01-2008, 06:17 AM
I can't imagine nothing not existing

Masali
01-01-2008, 06:51 AM
;1935748']space perhaps? or hell. or maybe heaven.

Space is something. Hell and Heaven are kind of...ideas. I GUESS ideas are considered something.

TheAsterisk!
01-01-2008, 02:18 PM
Nihilism would have a whole new meaning! (Waits for laugh, smiling)
...Nothing? Ok...
People aren't really capable of contemplating true nothingness; many here have been thinking of emptiness or absence of material/matter instead. We can't think of nothingness easily because no human experience truly relates to it.
I guess if there were nothing, the universe would not exist as it is defined. I suppose a point (as in geometry) would be the closest concept I can compare to nothingness.

MasterLuna
01-01-2008, 10:29 PM
Nothing would exist. Basically you almost answered your own question, just missing a few words. NOTHING WOULD EXIST. If nothing would exist, it doesn't mean SOMETHING would exist, it would mean NOTHING would exist.

International 4-8818
01-01-2008, 10:36 PM
asking of there is nothing then there is nothing. Like saying there is no apple in front of me. Is there an apple?

Zenx
01-01-2008, 10:58 PM
Does anything exist? I mean, is it not possible, nay, likely that our entire existance is just a complete lie, a simulation, a dream? Have you ever stopped and thought "Am I really awake right now?"... I have, and I believe that my entire being counld not exist at all. I mean... can any thing really "exist" because in another reality, nothing you know may have ever have been real. Does this post exist? Does this fourm exist? Does the Internet exist? I mean, you can't TOUCH the internet, can you? So in that matter, does everything we are doing "exist"? I say nay! The whole theory of existance is ridiculous.

End lecture that really proved nothing at all.

prototypetetra
01-01-2008, 11:00 PM
There will always be something that exists, Alarix; Even in an immaterial point of view, emptiness or in this case "nothingness" is an existence by itself. Thus, "Nothing" is not the right answer, in my opinion. There is no correct answer for this question, I believe it is so because the question is faulty.

jtj
01-01-2008, 11:30 PM
well nothing would exist, but we would not know that nothing existed because we would not be there because we don't exist. :P

Sanosuke23
01-01-2008, 11:31 PM
It's funny you used christianity and Eris in the same sentence without any negative connotation surrounding "Christianity".

There were brackets involved.

----------------------------

I can't believe this is a question. There is no known point of "Nothingness," and so it is quite impossible to even truly fathom it.

Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki
01-01-2008, 11:33 PM
Ugh... this thread confuses me utterly. It's like how I'll choose the oddest times to dwell on why I'm alive >_<. It also reminds me when I was like... nine and wondering what the "Nothingness" was in "The Neverending Story". Oh god, those were confusing times XD!

Fetal Fetish
01-01-2008, 11:41 PM
This is basically a pointless question. The question answers itself. "If nothing existed." Nothing exists. Time, space, all of it is gone.

TheAsterisk!
01-02-2008, 06:57 AM
Does anything exist? I mean, is it not possible, nay, likely that our entire existance is just a complete lie, a simulation, a dream? Have you ever stopped and thought "Am I really awake right now?"... I have, and I believe that my entire being counld not exist at all. I mean... can any thing really "exist" because in another reality, nothing you know may have ever have been real. Does this post exist? Does this fourm exist? Does the Internet exist? I mean, you can't TOUCH the internet, can you? So in that matter, does everything we are doing "exist"? I say nay! The whole theory of existance is ridiculous.

End lecture that really proved nothing at all.

Bertrand Russell (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bertrand_Russell) once said that sometimes one wishes that [armchair] philosophers who question reality would get into a car and drive into a wall at a speed proportional to their disbelief in the existence of said wall.
I do believe I share his sentiments concerning this particular matter.
Since percieved reality is the only way we can view our surroundings, why bother to ask if it's accurate? It's all we can know.

Eris
01-02-2008, 07:31 AM
Since percieved reality is the only way we can view our surroundings, why bother to ask if it's accurate? It's all we can know.

There is a very important reason for doing it: Logic. Logic requires true premises. If a premise is false, any conclusion can be drawn from it. If all arguments and premises are sound, logic is never wrong. That is a tremendously powerful tool, so it's only logical (pun sort of intended) that we must scrutinize our premises.

Though, this must take constructive forms. Simply professing "the world doesn't exist!" does not add anything.

Clawdia
01-02-2008, 07:33 AM
Cheese.

Cheese always exists.

gaburieru
01-02-2008, 07:41 AM
It's called vacuum.

Eris
01-02-2008, 08:02 AM
It's called vacuum.

Not really. Vacuum is still something. It has spacial dimensions, etc. It's possible for less to exist than vacuum; therefore it is not nothing.

Knuffle Bunny
01-02-2008, 09:34 AM
Let me rephrase myself then. = 3=

According to religion God has always been there, so therefore there has always been something. And there cannot be nothing becasue God is always there.

As for the Big Bang, it's only a theory. There could have been something before, there could have not.

omniking3
01-02-2008, 09:42 AM
"Existence" is a human perception. If there was nothing, there would be nothing for us to percieve, and vice versa. This is just feedback loop, there is no logical solution. I've tried p => q logic also.

Knuffle Bunny
01-02-2008, 09:54 AM
This is just feedback loop, there is no logical solution. I've tried p => q logic also.

Human logic is extremely flexible. It's like how people solve math problems differently. Based on what you already know, and what you already believe in, your logic can be affected substantially.

If you were christian, you'd say that there could never truly be "nothing" because God is always there, and therefore, definately not a feedback loop.

"Existence" is a human perception. If there was nothing, there would be nothing for us to percieve, and vice versa.

Think about it this way. Let's say the human race didn't exist. We couldn't percieve anything because we don't exist, but that doesn't mean that nothing else exists

~RiOtFoRpHoEnIx~
01-02-2008, 10:06 AM
*Tilts head* Is it me or is this going to be one of those threads that just keeps going around and around in circles? Plus, I'm definitely confused here seeing as how can someone try and comprehend nothing existing, because my mind just keeps coming to the answer that if nothing existed, would we even exist and if that is the case, then how can we try and gather an answer to what exists then... bleh ... I made no sense at all then I think. In other words, if nothing exists .. would we even exist? and if not ... how in the heck should I know what exists when I don't.

Eris
01-02-2008, 12:34 PM
As for the Big Bang, it's only a theory. There could have been something before, there could have not.

But theory in science does not mean the same as theory in colloquial English. In science, a theory is a model explaining experimental data. In colloquial English, a theory is a hunch. The colloquial meaning can not be applied to scientific theories.

luvtoshikun
01-02-2008, 12:44 PM
if there isn't anything then this conversation wouldn't happen and we would't exist so we wouldn't know what it would be like. If it was possible I think it would be unbarrible...confuzled

Zenx
01-02-2008, 12:49 PM
Cheese.

Cheese always exists.

Is there proof cheese EVER existed? Can you prove it does? I realize that I can't prove that it doesn't, but their is always doubt that our reality is non-existant.

In a non-existant world where things exist only because the existing things that want the non-existant world to exsit, which may be ours, if a non-existing person where to drive his or her non-existing car into a non-existing wall, it would result in a non-existing crash. This would never prove what exists or not in a world where nothing exists. It like a dream. Just because something dies in a dream, doesn't mean that it actually died. But that disproves itself in the sence that if you created a world in your dreams, the dream person, who does not exist, would die <_<.

Sanosuke23
01-02-2008, 06:53 PM
Zenx is on drugs. I mean that in the nicest way possible.

If we are dreaming, then the dream exists as long as we believe in it. Once we disbelieve it(DC 22) we know we're dreaming. However, the dream is still going, and those still dreaming will think you're insane. Or on drugs. Really, they mean it in the nicest possible way, though.

genericusername2
01-02-2008, 08:54 PM
Idiots like yourself.

TheAsterisk!
01-03-2008, 09:04 AM
Idiots like yourself.
Says the user with Sgurd Ekoms as a name.
Your new username would be "Gnihton" if there were nothing, right? Or would it be "Gnihton Ekoms?" Or maybe "Lawardhtiw" seeing as there'd be nothing to "ekoms."

onigiri princess
01-03-2008, 10:25 AM
dust xD tiny specs of dust in dark dark space, but i guess nothing would exist without the sun ^-^' (i gonna get nightmares after this)

Vendetta
01-03-2008, 11:30 AM
Ah, this reminds me of a long debate on the bus :P

Nothing is abstract, therefor nothing doesn't exist. Even in space there are microparticals which create something. Theoretically <b>if</b> nothing existed we would have a neverending vacuum or something similar to space prior to the big bang. There has been no place found in which 'nothing' exists.

Knuffle Bunny
01-03-2008, 12:22 PM
But theory in science does not mean the same as theory in colloquial English. In science, a theory is a model explaining experimental data. In colloquial English, a theory is a hunch. The colloquial meaning can not be applied to scientific theories.

In science, a theory is an idea that has no proof. Some evidence to suggest it, but no solid proof.

TheAsterisk!
01-03-2008, 12:49 PM
In science, a theory is an idea that has no proof. Some evidence to suggest it, but no solid proof.

...No...those are hypotheses, possible, untested explanations.
A scientific theory is a model used to explain the natural world based off of observations and deductions. A hypothesis doesn't become a theory unless it's well supported and fits the natural world and new observations of it.

Eris
01-03-2008, 01:10 PM

No, what you are describing is a conjecture or possibly a hypothesis.

I sincerely urge you to do some fact checking (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theory#Science) before you start pushing your misunderstandings as truth.

PanzerJager
01-03-2008, 01:21 PM

I would be willing to bet that you believe the theory of gravity.. despite what you may believe this almost universally accepted theory falls in the same category as evolution and the big bang; Despite whatever your local reverend may say..

I sincerely urge you to do some fact checking (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theory#Science) before you start pushing your misunderstandings as truth.

And everyone else as well..

Finvarra
01-03-2008, 08:21 PM
If you think about it there is no such thing as nothing.
When you think of nothing you either think of white space or eternal darkness.
Well arn't those something?

Leorina
01-03-2008, 09:47 PM
If you think about it there is no such thing as nothing.
When you think of nothing you either think of white space or eternal darkness.
Well arn't those something?

We do not know the 'true' definition of "nothing" because if we didn't exist, then we would have no conciousness, thus we would not be able to define "nothing" or see "nothing." We imagine non-existence and unconciousness, but we cannot experience "nothing" in the way the topic has asked.

My conclusion: There is such as "nothing": humanity has yet to witness and define "nothing." We may never be able to.

AngelxWithin
01-04-2008, 08:32 AM
What?!?

No Pizza?!?

No Food?!?

Whats The Point Of Existing Without Them?!?

Meyrin
01-04-2008, 08:41 AM
Now before you reply with "nothing... duh" (like what the last person I asked said to me), think about it.

Your question dosent make sence. How can something exist if nothing exist. The only logic answer is nothing.

Knuffle Bunny
01-04-2008, 08:47 AM
I would be willing to bet that you believe the theory of gravity.. despite what you may believe this almost universally accepted theory falls in the same category as evolution and the big bang; Despite whatever your local reverend may say..

I'm not Roman Catholic. Agnostic.

If they had proof of the Big Bang, the church would be out the window by now.

The Theory of Gravity is in question. It doesn't matter if it's universally accepted, that's just belief, and science doesn't revolve around belief. It revolves around fact.

For instance, many textbooks claim that the moon revolves around the Earth. This is universally accepted, is it not?
However, if the Theory of Gravity were true, it would show that the sun's gravitational force on the moon is more powerful than the Earth's gravitational force on the moon, and therefore, the moon should be revolving around the sun, not the Earth.
[see here for more details (http://www.bringyou.to/apologetics/p67.htm)]

But, we have examined the moon very closely and it indeed revolves around the Earth. The theory of Gravity has holes, because it has not been entirely proven.

The Wing Man
01-04-2008, 08:52 AM
I don't know, god or something like that.

Sword
01-04-2008, 02:21 PM
I don't know, god or something like that.
If god even exists, it isnt relevant here. Because God is not of the phsical plain that we can interact with. If nothing existed it would be complete darkness. Because darkness isn't a "thing" per say, but it is the absence of light.

zorarock
01-04-2008, 02:26 PM
Nothing wouln't even exist

TheAsterisk!
01-04-2008, 02:43 PM
I'm not Roman Catholic. Agnostic.

If they had proof of the Big Bang, the church would be out the window by now.

The Theory of Gravity is in question. It doesn't matter if it's universally accepted, that's just belief, and science doesn't revolve around belief. It revolves around fact.

For instance, many textbooks claim that the moon revolves around the Earth. This is universally accepted, is it not?
However, if the Theory of Gravity were true, it would show that the sun's gravitational force on the moon is more powerful than the Earth's gravitational force on the moon, and therefore, the moon should be revolving around the sun, not the Earth.

But, we have examined the moon very closely and it indeed revolves around the Earth. The theory of Gravity has holes, because it has not been entirely proven.

There's a simple reason that the sun doesn't rip the moon away from the Earth. The gravitational force is directly related to the masses of the two (or more, but we'll keep it simpler for now) objects in question, yes, but the force is also inversely proprtional to the distance (the distance squared actually, if I remember right [EDIT: I did.]) between the two objects. So even though the sun has a much greater mass, than the Earth, the moon orbits the Earth because it is much nearer.

I will add the equation as soon as I find it - my physics book is in the other room right now.
[EDIT] Here's the simpler equation to describe approximately circular orbits. It's pretty much the same as Newton's equation for any circular motion, but incorporating the objects' masses and seperation distance (as the theory of gravity dictates).
{F = ((G)(M)(m)(v^2))/(R^2)} where F = gravitational force, G = the universal gravitational constant (=6.673x10^(-11)), M and m = the objects' respective masses, v^2 represents the velocity squared, and R^2 is the objects' seperation distance squared.

The only was you could ever say the theory of gravity isn't accurate is if you were using some of the older, simpler equations (like the one I used above) to try to predict some of the more eccentric orbits. The theory of gravity, as it is, is sound.
Try again.
[EDIT] Reading up a bit, I didn't find "the Theory of Gravity" but, rather, the "Law of Universal Gravitation," implying that one might not have to defend the definition of a scientific theory to defend gravity. A law is something that, over time, observed to be true. The only deduction(s) would be mathematical.

As for the TOPIC of the thread, we would not see anything, not even darkness. The universe would either be zero dimensional (like a geometric point) or simply cease to exist. Our sensory organs (and brains processing the signals/nerve impulses from them) would not be able to cope with such a radical change in environment, not to mention we'd be long dead seeing as we're three dimensional (four, if you consider time) creatures. We can contemplate nothing, but we can't really observe or experience it (as Leorina said, though it can be defined abstractly).
God (as in any deity) would also not exist, regardless of it's state now. If God is there now, then it will not be in "nothing," as it is something. If God is a social doctrine, then it will not exist as the societies may not exist. If it is a thought in one's mind, then God will be gone as one may not think absent the necessary tissues and organs, which are invariably composed of matter, and so won't exist. This is not to (any) challenge religion; it is merely what the abstract concept of nothing implies would be (or wouldn't).
(The only way any god/deity would still exist were if that god were actually defined as the state of existence itself. I don't know of any religion with such a definition for any deity, but that doesn't mean there isn't such a belief system. If there is, would someone be kind enough to let me know what it is called? I'd really appreciate it...)

Eris
01-04-2008, 02:47 PM

What the heck? That link you posted is a parody. It mocks people, just like you, who use the "only a theory"-argument. If you carefully examine the background image, you will see it says "Parody! Hoax! Lies!"

PanzerJager
01-04-2008, 03:00 PM
What the heck? That link you posted is a parody. It mocks people, just like you, who use the "only a theory"-argument. If you carefully examine the background image, you will see it says "Parody! Hoax! Lies!"

I didn't even look at the link..

I would comment more on this, but it looks as if Eris and TheAsterisk! have this covered..

Leorina
01-04-2008, 03:08 PM

I'm surprised you took this as truth. I've never heard about Einstein's Theory of LOL.

TheAsterisk!
01-04-2008, 03:28 PM
I didn't even look at the link to begin with, but I must say it was quite amusing. Whoever wrote that did a pretty good job mocking "arguments" in favor of Intelligent Design, creation-science, and the like.
I just jumped at akari_aurion based on stuff I knew (mostly) off the top of my head, since I was so annoyed somebody could say something so silly.
I'd like to add that, if, as akari_aurion believes, the sun has more pull on near-earth bodies, jumping off a cliff should cause one to fall towards the sun and not back towards Earth. See, even if one were silly enough (even at 13 years old) to believe that site to be serious and then credible, the idea could be rendered ridiculous with a 'thought experiment.'

myahon
01-05-2008, 05:58 PM
an unending vaccuum, just like the places of space that have yet to be filled with matter.

Unless no laws of physics and time existed at which point someone could create themself and then create laws of physics afterwards.

sataned
01-06-2008, 09:14 PM
ok i dont get it...
if by nothing you mean everything we see and are used to on earth and around earth and in the milky way galaxy then yes there would be tons more planets and giant rocks and giant balls of ice flying around space...

if you do mean absolutely nothing anywhere no universe ..then wtf.. your basically asking wot if
an orange was an apple but that apple was really an orange... theres your answer the orange is an orange(if theres nothing than theres nothing)... so if nothing existed, of course nothing exists nothing is there...
i think... but then HowTF did our galaxy get here? how did we get here? OH DANG!! then IM WROng if nothing exists something has to exist to make something nothing!? or maybe if there was nothing something might exist without anything or anyone knowing thus making basically non existant since no one is acknowledging it... but then that means if theres nothing theres something ....
wot?
AHHHHH BRAIN CAVING IN!!!

ChibiNaruto
01-07-2008, 03:00 AM

I would imagine that "nothing" would be the only exisisting factor. So that's the only thing that exists which is nothing..

alarix
01-08-2008, 10:04 PM
What?!?

No Pizza?!?

No Food?!?

Whats The Point Of Existing Without Them?!?

Exactly!

And for those who simply claim: "The human mind cannot fully fathom nothingness so the answer is literally nothing"... well space goes on for infinity and we know it's true but the human mind cannot understand infinity either.

Like numbers. See?

Zenx
01-08-2008, 10:20 PM
Zenx is on drugs. I mean that in the nicest way possible.

If we are dreaming, then the dream exists as long as we believe in it. Once we disbelieve it(DC 22) we know we're dreaming. However, the dream is still going, and those still dreaming will think you're insane. Or on drugs. Really, they mean it in the nicest possible way, though.

If anyone in my town actually got to know me, aside from my friends, I would be comitted to an insaine asylum immediatly -_-. My mind think up things like this on the spot, among other strange things <_<. It's fun ^_^.

Caelus
01-09-2008, 11:50 AM
With out luck, stupid questions would still exist.

Gaarademon
01-10-2008, 08:53 AM
the color black!

bug
01-10-2008, 07:30 PM
Well, it's like saying, "Over there is an apple. What is over there(same direction as the apple)". The answer would simply be the apple. If nothing existed, then nothing would exist. In this universe, there is something everywhere, but if nothing existed, no atoms, gods(depending on your religion), planets, galaxies, universes, and the other things that we haven't discovered yet(if there is something there), then nothing would exist. Take a piece of paper. Imagen that it is existence itself. Then throw it out. There we go. Now nothing exists.

aerroW232
01-10-2008, 07:48 PM
If nothing existed it would be a white galaxy, but then again nothing would be white it would be invisable, but how would it be invisable if nothing existed? The simple explanation is that it couldnt be anything because we wouldnt be there to see so right?

╬Karami Mew~Meow
01-10-2008, 07:51 PM
When it's all darkness, then what could possibly exist?! ..well, except for darkness, and black lol

Maledictis Voca
01-11-2008, 09:36 AM
I'd still have to say.. Nothing, dur-duh-dur!!

If nothing existed there cant in any way shape form color place and language be something there unless you're talking about an empty space or a paradox or simply an empty void, but if nothing existed.. Those wouldn't either.

And the people talking about the definition of nothing..

If we never existed and same as everything else, then the word nothing wouldn't exist nor have a definition.

And no offence to any religious beliefs, god isn't proven to really exist. You cant see or touch it either so you cant know it's there. And if nothing is there, the belief of god wouldn't exist either. Fact or fiction wouldn't exist and nor would religion. If nothing existed, the spiritual plain wouldn't exist either. Just looking at the scientific view of it, no offence.

Akira Kogami[LC]
01-19-2008, 07:21 PM
Nothing would exist.

Dananananananana DUH!

alarix
02-15-2008, 08:18 PM
I hear a lot of people said "nothing will exist you dummy" (or think). Well aside from agreeing, allowing me to re-word this question.

Is it possible for nothing to exist?

Now you're going to say "yes, you dummy".

So don't. Be more philosophical, instead of skeptical.

Asriel
02-15-2008, 08:32 PM
A white empty space.................

Of course that couldn't exist either sooooooooooooo

NOTHING OF COURSE!!!!
Dun dun dun!!!!!!!!!!

KP4
02-15-2008, 08:34 PM
Seriously nothing will exist. Everything is made up of atoms. Nothing exist means no atoms. Thus it would be a vacuum with a temperature of 0 Kelvin and no pressure. At least this is according to human understanding.

Flah Blah
02-15-2008, 08:57 PM
The flying spaghetti monster.

Asriel
02-15-2008, 09:00 PM
Seriously nothing will exist. Everything is made up of atoms. Nothing exist means no atoms. Thus it would be a vacuum with a temrature of 0 Kelvin and no pressure. At least this is according to human understanding.

O___O

u ain't speakadin te egelish!

JK
I understood what you just said(lol)

Derrick Remon
02-15-2008, 09:08 PM
If something Happen that possibly mad the world not exist, turn into darkness, etc. I would love my Family as much as I can, until the last Moment, that's all that would be left.

Aizmov
02-15-2008, 09:23 PM
After thinking this through what will exist is:

1) Wozniak making great stuff
2) Jobs having no one to sell them to
3) Gates copying them
4) Ballmer jumping around

Momokachan
02-15-2008, 09:45 PM
I'm sure someone already covered this point, but I'm tired, and it's four pages of basically philosophy to read through, late on a Friday night where I'm more likely to doze off watching tv than say anything profound.

Nothing exists. Spot the missing punctuation in that sentence, and it might make sense.

Basically, since "nothing" is a concept, it is therefore something, and therefore, the concept of "nothing" is actually paradoxical. Therefore, what we experience everyday includes "nothing" existing.

Maybe I'll come back tomorrow when I'm not ready to pass out.

Snababo
02-17-2008, 02:25 PM
This is right up my street. (I LOVE PHYSICS)

Right the definition of nothing states that nothing is the absence of all things i.e. Things we see hear feel taste and smell. So hence nothing is a place without something. But b catagorizing calling nothin nothing does that not make it a something as it has a name. Then there is the idea that "is darkness the absence of light or light the absence of dark" if you can figure that out PM me. What I am trying to say is that by being nothing nothing is in fact something.

Which is more or less what Momokachan said ;)

Rhoswen
02-17-2008, 02:32 PM
Sorry to disappoint some of you, but 'darkness' and 'white space' count as something.
Nothing does not include anything.
So, I guess no existence whatsoever.

Amziefied
02-17-2008, 02:38 PM
Confusing questions wouldnt exist....

Nariko
02-17-2008, 05:45 PM
This is a stupid question.

Nothing will be there to begin with.

allaboutyou3678
02-17-2008, 05:58 PM
***HEAD ASPLODE** All depends on what you believe. I actually believe in nothingness it makes no sense, but that because I exist.

omniking3
02-17-2008, 07:34 PM
ok, listen.

Existence is a product of consciousness. Consider quantum physics. When we observe an electron, its superposition collapses to something we can process in our minds. Now, if we apply that principle to every particle that has a waveform (everything in existence), then we can say that everything we say is only an interpretation of our minds. Take for example, Shroedinger's cats.

He theoretically placed a cat in a box with a deadly posion, which would be released by the decay of a radioactive compound. Now, when the box is closed, we have no idea whether the cat is dead, alive, or in between. The cat is in a superposition, that is to say it exists as more than one entity at the same moment in time. Now, when we open the box, the superposition collapses, and we see whether the cat is dead or not. We can say that, when we are not observing the cat, it is dead, alive, and in between. This sounds hard to believe, but the trick is, that we cannot observe the cat, without collapsing the superposition. These superpositions and waveforms have been proven to exist. This applies to this nothingness as follows:

If there was nothingness, we would simply not be perceiving anything, and everything would exist in a state of superposition. So, nothing, is in fact, everything.

I better get reppies for going through this lecture... -_-

ComposerOfRequiems
02-18-2008, 03:43 AM

A void.

/thread

███
02-18-2008, 06:30 AM
If nothing existed than the word and definition of existing wouldn't exist, therefore nothing could possibly exist.

alarix
02-22-2008, 08:10 PM
Here's another related question which philosophers have debated on: Is it possible for something to "always" exist?

So did the world always exist or did it go bang and there it is. Then if so it means that it was possible for nothing to exist.

ie If God made the world, then who made God etc.

Tayuya+
02-22-2008, 08:20 PM
I used to think about this all the time. I eventually came to this conclusion...

There would simply be... nothing. If there's nothing, there's no people. If there's no people, there's no consciousness. Therefore.. there's simply nothing.

demonplight
02-22-2008, 08:27 PM
think of this as a limit, with a hole in the line. where as we can tell what is going on until we are very very close, at the point we have no idea, not a clue. that is the math part.
as for the philosophical part their would be no energy, no time, and no matter. in addition to nothing, their would be no concept of nothing. no idea, nor anyone to create the thought of the form something, and the subsequent nothing. so to be honest a universe of nothing cannot exist, because nothing is a concept like 0 where their has to be someone to give the label nothing, to the concept, or lack their of. savy?

also something cannot come from nothing, with our current understanding of the universe.

alarix
02-22-2008, 09:09 PM
think of this as a limit, with a hole in the line. where as we can tell what is going on until we are very very close, at the point we have no idea, not a clue. that is the math part.
as for the philosophical part their would be no energy, no time, and no matter. in addition to nothing, their would be no concept of nothing. no idea, nor anyone to create the thought of the form something, and the subsequent nothing. so to be honest a universe of nothing cannot exist, because nothing is a concept like 0 where their has to be someone to give the label nothing, to the concept, or lack their of. savy?

also something cannot come from nothing, with our current understanding of the universe.

So you're implying that it is possible for something to always exist.

demonplight
02-22-2008, 10:24 PM
yes. because so long as you use always as a standard of measurement there is a possibility. because always refers to time in the reference eternal. and time is a product of movement or kinetic energy. so the less matter their is in the universe the less energy there is, so the less movement. as a result time will shift. and begin to slow down in respect to our relation to time. so at any point unless all matter disappears at once, there will be one sub atomic particle. at that moment time will be so skewed that it could survive for indeterminable amount of time. in addition because of this event either in creation, of destruction intelligent life will no longer exist to give the concept time definition. it is difficult for me to explain, but I hope that I did it right. but it is near absolute, to humane reasoning that something cannot come from nothing. so in this if the universe started at a point where all math breaks down, their has to be some thing out there that introduced matter first, and that then introduced energy as a result and time following. this event is called the big bang. if you take Adam, and Eve out of the Bible, Genesis does hint of this event.

Kincaid
02-23-2008, 11:31 AM
If nothing existed, nothing would exist.

That's like asking what color a red car would be if it was red.

NovaStar
02-23-2008, 11:37 AM
..Me

Because I'm just that cool.

ZeianStar
02-23-2008, 11:40 AM
If nothing existed than...no one would be born and there won't be any nerds and not nerds means no computers, internet. That would be terrible.

Daenerys
02-23-2008, 11:42 AM
The chicken would exist. And then we would end the age old question of who came first.

Alias-Revolution
02-23-2008, 11:59 AM
Definately a paradox.

In the thought of nothing existing, we would have to include Time and Space. If time and space didn't exist, then, truely, NOTHING would exist. However, it wouldn't make a difference because nothing is there to experience the "non-existance". There wouldn't even be souls, so looking on it from heaven, hell, or whatever you beleive in, would not be possible. Those wouldn't even exist.

The point is moot.