PDA

View Full Version : Greatest Guitarist ever?

enigma unit 01
12-31-2007, 01:04 PM
Okay, this is a mature discussion, I dont wanna hear any "Kirk Hammett is teh sUxorz!!!" or "Yngwie Egosteen sucks..."
This is to discuss who is your favourite guitarist and why, its not 'Who is the best guitarist', because that would be down to the most technically skilled and there would only be one answer.

My fav would have to be Jason Becker, he was more than a guitar prodigy, he was playing note for note with the greatest when he was just 15, and recorded one of the most technically accomplished albums "speed metal symphony" when he was just 18. He is one of the most melodic guitarists and dosent just use speed for the sake of it, he uses it to a very melodic effect to compliment the song.

luvtoshikun
12-31-2007, 01:44 PM
my first favorite would be ally and aj but that was a while ago. I forget the name of a heavy metalist that can make his guitar talk, I think he's cool

luvtoshikun
12-31-2007, 01:49 PM
my first favorite would be ally and aj but that was a while ago. I forget the name of a heavy metalist that can make his guitar talk, I think he's cool

TheAsterisk!
12-31-2007, 02:21 PM
The Amazing Mr. Steve Howe!
It's no contest; he is the most skilled guitarist ever, capable of playing just about any style beautifully.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Howe_(guitarist)
http://www.stevehowe.com/

enigma unit 01
01-01-2008, 12:05 PM
I think you might be talking about Steve Vai there, although theres other guitarists who can make their guitars 'talk'

Btw i checked out Steve Howe, hes pretty damn good but i still prefer mr Becker :)

Arcxcia
01-01-2008, 12:36 PM
Yui!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Masali
01-01-2008, 03:42 PM
This is a tough question for me. There are so many guitar players who have inspired me throughout the years, it'd be pretty difficult for me to pick just one so I won't. =D

Well, a huge influence on me has been John Frusciante, guitarist for the red hot chili peppers. I dig his style, it's like he's channeling Jimi Hendrix's soul in his playing.

John Mayer. Ok, before you all go off on me let me tell you. John Mayer...he is such...I mean, CHRIST he is a talented songwriter. One of the best, such a progressive blues style. He and similar guitarists are bringing back lead guitar, and I love it.

Claudio Sanchez (From Coheed and Cambria) Simply because he's responsible for the majority of the songwriting, which could not be tighter. So addictive, that music.

Skiwsgar Skwigelf, obviouslies he is the bests. He plays the fast notes n the solos and the scales n whatnot. It's a good things.

(Oh, and no offense to asterisk...I don't know if he (The Asterisk) plays guitar but Steve Howe does nothing for me, stylistically...but I was never a big yes fan).

And to Enigma, were you the one who originally thought Kirk Hammet was the best? I just wanted to know if you were the same person. Btw, Jason Becker is quite an astounding guitarist. Good choice.

TheAsterisk!
01-01-2008, 05:28 PM
(Oh, and no offense to asterisk...I don't know if he (The Asterisk) plays guitar but Steve Howe does nothing for me, stylistically...but I was never a big yes fan).

No problem; not everyone is capable of appreciating true genius.;)
I called you a heretic in the other thread just to be a trouble maker. The only way you'd offend me is if you called Howe ugly.
http://www.animeforum.com/image/103575477acbb470ffc.bmp (http://www.animeforum.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=23710)http://www.animeforum.com/image/103575477acbb4ef454.bmp (http://www.animeforum.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=23711)
Howe (HA! Homonym puns!) could you not just love that face? He's absolutely adorable! :love::love:

He's a dog-face.

Masali
01-01-2008, 05:50 PM
He's pretty.

TheAsterisk!
01-01-2008, 06:14 PM
He's pretty.
:DGood Masali. Good boy. You'll get a biscuit for that.:D

gaburieru
01-01-2008, 06:19 PM
Well that's a hard one =/ Well if we forget about "skill" and just think of the music itself I choose "Stefan Elmgren" from the swedish power metal band Hammerfall.

Their latest single: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOmMZBZGBps (Stefan is the "skinhead")

Manhattan_Project_2000
01-01-2008, 06:24 PM
Well that's a hard one =/ Well if we forget about "skill" and just think of the music itself I choose "Stefan Elmgren" from the swedish power metal band Hammerfall.

Their latest single: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOmMZBZGBps (Stefan is the "skinhead")

Well if we forget about guitar playing skill in a guitar playing topic and focus on entirely on the music, I pick Beethoven as the greatest Guitarist ever.

gaburieru
01-01-2008, 06:51 PM
Well if we forget about guitar playing skill in a guitar playing topic and focus on entirely on the music, I pick Beethoven as the greatest Guitarist ever.

Have you ever heard him play?

OT: It's only a matter of time before the Miyavi/Gackt fangirls arrive... ^^

Alias-Revolution
01-01-2008, 06:58 PM
Let us not forget the man behind the six-stringed wonders of songs like YYZ, Spirit of Radio, Tom Sawyer, and Red Barchetta.

Alex Lifeson from Rush, you have my vote.

Manhattan_Project_2000
01-01-2008, 07:06 PM
Have you ever heard him play?
Can you prove I haven't?

Alias-Revolution
01-01-2008, 07:09 PM
LOL

Kudos to MHP. Your logic is divine, my friend. No-one can really prove MHP hasn't found a lost ancient recording of some sort, decoded it with his 1337 haxXorZ skillz and heard ol' Ludwig bust out some mean licks on the axe.

You twisted my arm. Beethoven has my second vote.

Zenx
01-01-2008, 09:14 PM
This has always been a difficult choice for me but... I'd have to go with Buckethead or Slash (Guns n' Roses).

Buckethead redefined guitar playing, and has such deep emotion about how he does it. Also the variety of his songs is amazing (Soothsayer compared to Android of Notre Dame for instance).

Slash is just amazing. Every single song he plays is amazing. And he has a top hat ^_^.

Although if we were talking bassists... that would be a different story
Les Claypool or the guy from Rush (can't remember his name)

Alias-Revolution
01-01-2008, 10:05 PM
Les Claypool or the guy from Rush (can't remember his name)

Like I said, Alex Lifeson. Rush's Guitarist.

Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki
01-01-2008, 11:41 PM
John Frusciante... certainly. I've always loved RHCP, and one of the main reasons was because of his playing. I'm not the greatest guitarist in the world, but I'm heavily inspired by him. John Mayer is also an inspiration to me. I don't care whether people want to call him "pop crap" or whatever, but he can sing and play amazingly.

TheAsterisk!
01-02-2008, 07:16 AM
Like I said, Alex Lifeson. Rush's Guitarist.

Zenx might have meant Geddy Lee; bassists were mentioned in the previous line, and I would have to say that Lee is a better bassist than Lifeson is a guitarist.

Alias-Revolution
01-02-2008, 09:04 AM
Meh... I gotta give you that one. But I have to ask, do you think that just ecause of skill on the strings, or because he played the keyboard too?

enigma unit 01
01-02-2008, 09:41 AM
And to Enigma, were you the one who originally thought Kirk Hammet was the best? I just wanted to know if you were the same person. Btw, Jason Becker is quite an astounding guitarist. Good choice.

Yea, that was me. Kirk is still one of my favourites, i know he's not the most technically skilled (though still very), i love his solos and how he can make them sound so epic. But i have only recently discovered Becker and was blown away lol.

Btw, any you guys heard any Paul Gilbert?? That man knows his guitar lol

Masali
01-02-2008, 03:46 PM
Yea, that was me. Kirk is still one of my favourites, i know he's not the most technically skilled (though still very), i love his solos and how he can make them sound so epic. But i have only recently discovered Becker and was blown away lol.

Btw, any you guys heard any Paul Gilbert?? That man knows his guitar lol

Yeah, that man basically taught me how to shred. I like religiously followed his shred lessons. He makes shred make sense with his exceptional sense of rhythm.

John Frusciante... certainly. I've always loved RHCP, and one of the main reasons was because of his playing.

John Frusciante is my idol, hero, whatever you wanna say.

lightyagami
01-02-2008, 05:48 PM
Jimmy hendrix hands down. Close second Eric Clapton.

TheAsterisk!
01-03-2008, 09:50 AM
Meh... I gotta give you that one. But I have to ask, do you think that just because of skill on the strings, or because he played the keyboard too?
Well, keyboards always get extra points from me, but I could say that based on guitar skills alone, too. Lee kind of sounds like the kiddie-pool Chris Squire (that's a good thing, really).
In my not so humble opinion, Lifeson isn't really all that good. He's certainly above average, but there are a whole bundle of better choices for "greatest guitarist ever" than he.

I'd also like to add, for everyone else, that I see Clapton and Hendrix as terribly overated musicians that don't deserve the praise they always seem to recieve in topics like this one.

enigma unit 01
01-03-2008, 12:20 PM
Speaking of Paul Gilbert, ever heard of Racer X Masali?? They're like Judas Priest on speed, the guitar was just amazing

Masali
01-03-2008, 07:39 PM
Speaking of Paul Gilbert, ever heard of Racer X Masali?? They're like Judas Priest on speed, the guitar was just amazing

I'm not familiar with Racer X but I was a fan of Paul Gilbert when he was with Mr. Big. I mean hell, Paul Gilbert with Billy Sheen? Holy hell, it's like a shred fans wet dream.

Cool2
01-20-2008, 03:52 AM
i would have to say slash because he dose a really good job with his music

Hamashimura
01-20-2008, 05:00 AM
Ah,a very tough one...
Being a guitar fan,I'm having hard time to pick only one,and I hardly believe that I would be able to pick only one...
Hmmmmmm....

Well,here goes:
Jimmy Page
His beautiful,yet complex compositions is literally heavenly sound to my ears...
I've seen many guitarist who tried to play like him,even to duplicate his sound,but they've all failed...
He just has that *something* in his mind and fingers...

Joe Satriani
I love this guy...I just do...
His music is just beautiful ( well,most of time ),and simply enjoyable...

Eddie Van Halen
Enough said =P
Unique style,and unlike many,he made his own equipement...
One of the most skilled and innovative guitarists ever,by my opinion at least...

There...these are guys that I find mostly skilled...
I would mention Hendrix,but I don't like his stuff for some reason,so I skipped on posting about him...

sataned
01-21-2008, 02:46 AM
TONY IOMMI!!! iS THE GREATEST!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFh8noEepU4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z47_OUfcK6U&feature=related

HEndrix is awsome
David Gilmour can do some trippy stuff on the guitar...

Light Buster
02-02-2008, 01:41 AM
Tom Morollo-He raps using a guitar.

Slash-Still exist today.

The Wing Man
02-02-2008, 04:02 AM
I will always love eric clapton and jeff beck, I have heard more of there albums and some great live ones from both of them seperate and some togethor.

Sharingan Warrior 91
02-03-2008, 08:25 AM
It would be Santana and then Slash:) :p :D ;) :cool: :laugh: :ninja:

Ball Tripper
02-03-2008, 11:20 PM
I'd probably go with Eddie Van Halen.

I couldn't get the youtube thing to work but just youtube his Eruption solo. It's pretty incredible.

Firsthotaru
02-04-2008, 06:13 AM
Hm, i don't know.Many guitarist play very well, but BEST of THE BEST named they i don't can...

Zenx
02-04-2008, 08:51 PM
Tom Morollo-He raps using a guitar.

Slash-Still exist today.

Still playing that Guitar Hero 3 eh?

Santana is pretty amazing as well.

One person I haven't seen on this thread is André Olbrich (lead guitarist of Blind Guardian). He isn't the best, but he sounds great and is an overall great guitarist.

Masali
02-04-2008, 09:37 PM
I love how the "still exists today" argument is always used for slash. A guitar player being around for 20 something years and still being popular is not something that is super uncommon. Look...

John Frusciante, 20+ years...
Keith Richeards 40+ years
Ron Wood 40+ Years
Eric Clapton 40+ years
Tom Petty 40+ years
Neal Schon 40+ years
Joe Satriani 30+ years
Steve Vai 30+ years
John Petrucci 20+ years
Jimmy Page 40 + years
BB King 50+ years

Once again, a list of guitarists marginally more talented than slash who've been around longer. And don't feed me that "BUT SLASH IS SO FAST" yeah, I can play minor pentatonic scales pretty damn fast too because they're THE FIRST FRIGGEN SCALES EVERYONE LEARNS ON THE GUITAR so I imagine he's had a bit of time to practice them and he's still pretty droll.

Go home, take a shower, wash off the shame.

~*Red*~
02-05-2008, 02:32 AM
My choice would have to be Jimmy Hendrix.

Alias-Revolution
02-05-2008, 12:56 PM
My next vote would go to Jimmy Page.

Kashmir was awesome.

Led Zeppelin rocks.

I love how the "still exists today" argument is always used for slash. A guitar player being around for 20 something years and still being popular is not something that is super uncommon. Look...

John Frusciante, 20+ years...

Keith Richeards 40+ years

Ron Wood 40+ Years

Eric Clapton 40+ years

Tom Petty 40+ years

Neal Schon 40+ years

Joe Satriani 30+ years

Steve Vai 30+ years

John Petrucci 20+ years

Jimmy Page 40 + years

BB King 50+ years

Once again, a list of guitarists marginally more talented than slash who've been around longer. And don't feed me that "BUT SLASH IS SO FAST" yeah, I can play minor pentatonic scales pretty damn fast too because they're THE FIRST FRIGGEN SCALES EVERYONE LEARNS ON THE GUITAR so I imagine he's had a bit of time to practice them and he's still pretty droll.

Go home, take a shower, wash off the shame.
Pwnt.
I gotta agree. Everyone makes such a big deal about Slash, but the only difference is that he has more piercings than those other guys. Mind you, the VW commercial was pretty cool, but that's really all I see about him. Like he said, minor scales are not that hard.

Masali
02-06-2008, 04:25 PM
Also, those two Tony Iommi videos were dreadfully unimpressive. Not that I expected them to be any good, since I've always believed Iommi to be one of the most overrated guitar players ever.

Randy Rhoads eats Tony Iommi for breakfast, lunch, dinner and barfs him up later cause he doesn't want the fail inside of him.

kale
02-06-2008, 05:33 PM
the 2 guys from dragon foce, billie joe arm strong, and the guy from three days grace

Masali
02-06-2008, 05:48 PM
billie joe arm strong, and the guy from three days grace

http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/4049/72044243ny3.jpg

Manhattan_Project_2000
02-06-2008, 06:26 PM
Josh Homme. Find the recording of Regular John from the Earthlink show in Atlanta. That's what he actually sounds like in a concert.

Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki
02-06-2008, 06:36 PM
the 2 guys from dragon foce, billie joe arm strong, and the guy from three days grace

http://codebloo.net/stuff/picard-headesk.jpg

realms89
02-06-2008, 10:26 PM
there are tons of amazing guitarist and although talent wise i wouldn't say these two are in the supreme although amazing still have a place in my mind as the greatest

Zakk Wylde (Jeffery Phillip Wielandt) & Charles ``Evil Chuck`` Schuldiner

Gaarademon
02-07-2008, 08:31 AM
Thats a really hard question to answer so many great guitar players out there

Well there is Stevie Ray Vaughan the man was a great guitarist

Then theres Jimi Hendrix him and Vaughan are some of the people that made me want to pick up a guitar

If Jimi and Stevie were still alive I guarantee that Eric Clapton would not be the Greatist Guitarist in the world. It would be one of those two people

and heres some quick mentions Kurt Cobain,John Frusciante,Alex Lifeson, John Lennon,Claudio Sanchez,Dimebag Darrel,East Bay Ray,Jimmy Page, and Tom Petty

Zenx
02-07-2008, 05:48 PM

Lol, double pwned. By epic pictures too.

I honestly think that Dragonforce is the most overrated band ever. Everyone is always saying that Herman Lee is the most incredible person ever because he can play the guitar fast (I also despise the vocalist, but that's a different story). If I owned a guitar I could hit notes really fast and wammy every note and break a string (yes, I watched that video) and call it great as well. Honestly, I believe that is all they do. Its not really music, its more like just shredding. Dream Theater, Buckethead, and Steve Vai all have overall better guitarists while still sounding like music.

/rant

I'm sorry, I just had to get that out of my system.