PDA

View Full Version : Do you prefer to watch Anime in Japanese with English subs or in English?

Baka Tenshi
12-26-2007, 12:06 AM
I prefer it in Japanese with English subs. Most of the English voices make me cringe.

-Hikari-
12-26-2007, 02:15 AM
I prefer it with subs and not dubs ^^

Aya_Strawberrie ♥
12-26-2007, 03:51 AM
I prefer it with English subs too... ^^
The sound with English is weird...>.<

L***
12-26-2007, 03:55 AM
I just watch it in Japanese. English dubs are not to good.

Aizmov
12-26-2007, 04:02 AM
Subs of course, but I don't mind dubs if they are done right :)

Lune Cy
12-26-2007, 04:29 AM
I prefer it in Japanese with English subs. Most of the English voices make me cringe.

Somehow..japanese just sounds better in animes ^^..but i dont like those 'funny' voices..it annoys me :)

So japanese with English subs for me aswell..

~RiOtFoRpHoEnIx~
12-26-2007, 04:40 AM
Easy answer to this one, gotta watch anime in Japanese with english subs ... the english voice actors just don't suit anime, they sound weird to me and it drives me insane so hence I always watch them in japanese with subs. ^_^

wolfgirl90
12-26-2007, 03:34 PM
Since English is my first language, I prefer to watch anime in English. However, if it is an anime that I am interested in, I will watch in both Japanese and English. Depending on the anime, if I decide to watch it in Japanese, I do not watch it with subtitles if I can avoid doing so. I know enough Japanese to watch anime without them and they can be quite distracting at times.

Ms. Lucy
12-26-2007, 04:02 PM
Since English is my first language, I prefer to watch anime in English. However, if it is an anime that I am interested in, I will watch in both Japanese and English. Depending on the anime, if I decide to watch it in Japanese, I do not watch it with subtitles if I can avoid doing so. I know enough Japanese to watch anime without them and they can be quite distracting at times.

I agree with that.
I like listening to the awesome language of the japanese.
Then on some occasions I listen to the english versions cuz, well, I'm english speaking.:laugh:

all_star_angle
12-26-2007, 08:33 PM
I like to watch anime in Japanese with English subs. I rarely watch in English.

jewel2sparkle
12-26-2007, 08:44 PM
I prefer the Japanese dialog myself. In most situations, the English dubs suck.

Doom85
12-27-2007, 07:46 AM
Dubs, unless it's by 4Kids. Though I'll watch the subs if there are episodes that have yet to be dubbed. I think people are too harsh towards the dubs as opposed to the subs. I mean, FMA's sub voice for Ed is just way off (not to mention Europeans speaking Japanese is kinda....odd) and my ears were bleeding during the Sasuke Retrieval arc thanks to the sub Naruto's 276 uses of "Sasuuukkkkke!". I'll take a few "Believe it!"s over that any day.

iiiasdfkl
12-27-2007, 09:08 AM
I prefer the original Japanese voices for the anime characters... and the English subs, of course:p simply because sometimes the dubbed voices sound really ridiculous XP

.Lovebeat
12-27-2007, 10:21 AM
I watch anime with Japanese audio and English subs. Nothing else will do :< even if the Japanese voice actors/actresses annoys me sometimes I rather listen to them than English dubs because imo it's more horrible to listen to.

Ultra Dull
12-27-2007, 10:34 AM
ENGLISH!!!!

Ugh, I would rather be watching the anime then reading the stupid words at the bottom.

Though, it is pretty cool just to listen to them speak Japanese without the words at the bottom.

Bionicman
12-27-2007, 12:16 PM
Can't stand dubs.
I always watch movies/series in it's original language. It doesn't matter if it's English, Japanese or Italian...I'll watch it with subs.

daft
12-27-2007, 12:24 PM
Movies are better with subtitles.

Anime, I like most of them dubbed. Except for Deathnote.

Magisha
12-27-2007, 01:45 PM
I prefer to watch anime in Japanese with English subs. . . I'm not really a fan for anime english dubs. . . -__-;;;

Zaig
12-27-2007, 02:46 PM
I like to watch anime in japanese with english subs. The dubs seem weird. In the summer, the subs are the few things that keep my reading level the same :laugh:

threekings
12-27-2007, 03:14 PM
As the rest of you, I too perfer the japanese version.

MomijiTMO
12-27-2007, 04:12 PM
Since English is my first language, I prefer to watch anime in English. However, if it is an anime that I am interested in, I will watch in both Japanese and English.

Yeah that's me too. I think the English dubs are getting better especially in the case of Fruits Basket.

Unknownymous
12-27-2007, 04:26 PM
It's not one of your options, but I prefer to watch them raw... o_o No subs/English dubs.

ParaParaJMo
12-27-2007, 07:09 PM
Raw Japanese
Japanese with English subs
Korean with Japanese subs
Chinese with English subs
Tagalog

Baka Tenshi
12-27-2007, 07:51 PM
It's not one of your options, but I prefer to watch them raw... o_o No subs/English dubs.
I used to watch Pocket Monster raw because no one seems to sub it....although I dropped that anime a while ago now.

I cannot stand English dubs mostly because it drives me nuts that sometimes they change what the characters are saying and also the voices are horrid in English most of the time.

Like Edward Elric, I HATE his English voice. I love his SEXY Japanese voice <333333333333333333

Elphaba
12-27-2007, 08:25 PM
japanese with english subs the story line is kept the same.

Twilight_Vampyre
12-27-2007, 09:05 PM
I perfer it in Japanese with english subtitles sounds better that way <.< >.>

EonKid
12-27-2007, 09:11 PM
To me it dosen't really matter, I'll watch it in English or Japanese!.

bear-slayer
12-27-2007, 09:47 PM
I prefer to watch it in English cuz their lips not moving with the words is very distracting

I

riina
12-28-2007, 08:07 PM
Japanese with english sub is the way to go!
^___~
Never really liked those english dubs

shirogane_hitsugaya
12-29-2007, 03:34 AM
English sub...the seiyuu for the anime is 'meant' for 'the characters'.........some dubs are just not matching with the characters....but English dubs are not bad at all..........you haven't heard the Malay dubbings in malaysia......not only the voices are not matching....they have only a few voices....(in one episode of shaman king in my country-malay dub- hao's voice became anna's.....yoh's beccame like tao ren's.....) they're terrible........i'd rather read the mangas then watching those malay dubbed anime......unless i have no other choices.......even the chinese and cantonese dubbed anime sounds better....:banghead:

gyakusetsu
12-29-2007, 05:18 AM
Raw Japanese with no subs if I can, or I will deal with subs if that is all I can find....many jokes or cultural references are lost or do not make sense in a dub.

nekogrl
12-29-2007, 08:32 AM
I'd rather watch Japanese with English subs. The english voices often suck. But, unfortunately, sometimes I can only find an anime in the english dub...;_; Then I'll settle for english dub if I really wanna watch it.

Arcxcia
12-30-2007, 06:51 AM
I hate the english dub anime! It's really bad. They didn't put any feelings to that. The Japanese sub is better. Obviously... Anyone agree???

Shadow Wolf75
12-30-2007, 04:16 PM
Voice actors on both sides of the ocean can suck at times, really. But I've just bought the new Slayers dvds, and I'm finding I can't stand it's dub now. It's not a bad dub, it's just the technical problems with it that annoy the hell out of me. It just sounds so empty, and the music's volume is far too low. It's probably because the dub is in mono, unlike the Japanese version.

Of course, the fact that most of TAJ Production's actors went on to work for 4kids doesn't really help . . .

NovaStar
12-30-2007, 09:13 PM
Voice actors on both sides of the ocean can suck at times, really. But I've just bought the new Slayers dvds, and I'm finding I can't stand it's dub now. It's not a bad dub, it's just the technical problems with it that annoy the hell out of me. It just sounds so empty, and the music's volume is far too low. It's probably because the dub is in mono, unlike the Japanese version.

Of course, the fact that most of TAJ Production's actors went on to work for 4kids doesn't really help . . .

Slayers Was Never Changed, I see no problem with any Audio, perhaps it's your set? Because mine works absolutely fine.

That being said: I like English Dubs, I don't see why Sub fans(no offense) always rag on dubs and say "the other language just sounds right" that makes no sense to me, for the most of us we were born speaking English. so by that logic, The English Language is Wrong and Japanese is right.

Also: Some Japanese Voice Actors do terible jobs as well, like the original Blackjack: Blackjack's Voice was Terrible. - Just for example: Neither is perfect, but sometimes the English Voice Overs are not given credit that they're deserved.

Uno_Caste
12-30-2007, 09:54 PM
I watch subtitled anime all the time and yes I'm pretty much used to it and that I would always prefer it. But I don't mind watching anime dubbed in English though. It'd just depend on what is available for me.

dark_blue
12-31-2007, 05:01 AM
i like japanese sub it better than english sub.

Sim-B
12-31-2007, 02:42 PM
Japanese with Eng sub.

lexikikyo
12-31-2007, 04:21 PM
Well that honestly depends. Type of Anime-wise, voice actor-wise, etc.

Subs (Japanese with English subtitles): That is always good if you want to listen to Japanese voice actors. But then, since there are subtitles that you must read, they distract you from the main images and you keep missing them. And the words might disapear very quickly and you might not had time to read it all.

Dubs (English): No subtitles! xD Yeah, you don't have to focus your mind on the distractive subtitles. But some of the voice actors sound pretty horrible =.=

So, being a Japanese girl (who forgot most of her Japanese.. XD), I prefer Subs because I can always try to translate the lines without having to look at the subtitles (from my previous knowledge) and it gives me good practise on learning Japanese again ^^

Saracin
12-31-2007, 04:51 PM
I like the english dubbing, but guess I'm a little less picky than others. Some shows have really good voice acting, at least in my opinion, like Death Note and Case Closed. And earlier stuff was pretty crappy, but now with the influx of cash things have changed so that companies take a bigger interest.

Also I think one problem is that some Americans who watch anime, well, they wish they were Japanese so they act like their 'purists' when in fact they are just bashing things without knowing anything.

If you like subtitles, great, if you don't like dubbing, fine, but I hope no one rips on every dubbed show just because they didn't care for another shows dubbing. Unless it was dubbed by the same company, then theres a good chance of having the same actors.

Moonlight Eve
12-31-2007, 05:10 PM
Neither. Because I'm Japanese, I tend to watch anime in RAW form.

haku_of_mist
12-31-2007, 05:12 PM
Unless the subs are really fuzzy, I'd prefer the subs as well. It's interesting listening to a language you can't understand and once in a while you'll go o, o, o, I know that word! (Like, hai or something) :p

Saracin
12-31-2007, 05:15 PM
Hmm, raw. Interesting way to put it. Honestly if I knew how to speak Japanese, I probably would watch it in its, uhh, raw form, instead.

I think what matters most is that you like what you watch no matter the presentation. If the jokes make you laugh, the sad moments make you weep, and the action makes your heart beat faster, who cares what the language is or is you're reading text at the bottom of the screen.

Moonlight Eve
12-31-2007, 06:02 PM
In the "Anime Fansubbing" world, when a series has no dubs or subs, it's called Raw..literally that's the term they use because it's in it's natural language.

Hideki Motosuwa.
01-01-2008, 01:17 AM
Both are good. But the orignal Japanese audio in it's entirety(wrong spelling I think) is considerbally better than the English audio... most of the time. So, I guess I'd go with subs, just because it's the creator's original vision!

Barako_no_Shi
01-01-2008, 10:21 AM
Well, Japanese with English sub if it's new. If there is a dub, I'll buy it. I can always just switch to Japanese audio on it with subs.

TheBlackwatch
01-01-2008, 12:49 PM
Depends on the show for me. If an anime takes place in Japan, or has a cast of mostly Japanese characters, then I'll watch it in Japanese. But as we all know, the only place on the planet with Japanese as a first language is Japan, so, if an anime doesn't use it as a setting, or doesn't have a largely Japanese cast, then I have to watch it in English, which is more widely spoken. Having people actually have the language/accent of where ever they're from really helps keep things genuine for me. I remember watching Yugo the Negotiator in Japanese, and I couldn't get over the fact that a bunch of Americans, Russians, and Arabs were speaking Japanese...couldn't take it seriously. There are a few exceptions to the rule...really bad English dubs, or dubs where they completely edit content, will make me watch the Japanese version. And certain English dubs that are really good inspire me to watch it no matter the characters/setting, such as Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex.

MasterLuna
01-01-2008, 10:55 PM
It depends on what I watch first. After I'm done with watching Spiral and DN Angel in English, no more dubs for me, except for Bleach. In English and Jap, Bleach isn't bad. There are some animes that are really good in English, it just depends on who they're licensed to. Like 4Kids is a GREAT example! :D They mutilate the anime until it's dumbed down enough for kids to understand and completely ruins the anime. It's sad. :l But if done by good dubbing company, I'll watch it. But like I said, it depends on what I watch first. Most of the time, I just watch it with subs because it irritates me when the names are said wrong...>_> Most of the dubbed animes on adultswim are pretty good though. There hasn't been a single anime on adultswim that I didn't like. =D

Shadow of Life
01-02-2008, 04:43 AM
In English

AllSystemsGo
01-02-2008, 11:45 PM
English subs, except for Cowboy Bebop. I love the dub.

inOue
01-03-2008, 12:36 AM
i prefer watching in japanese with english subs..:D

Musaki
01-03-2008, 01:14 AM
Japanese version sounds much more better then english version

Renzoil
01-03-2008, 01:05 PM
I don't really care either english or japanese.As long as I think the anime is good.I haven't been able to watch them in japanese though.Over all I'd say it's all the same.But it's hard to read and watch at the same time.

Linkhero
01-03-2008, 01:07 PM
Usually with english subs but some animes like Trigun are much better in English

Snarf103
01-03-2008, 01:11 PM
i only watch them in japanese with english subs, except if there is no other way :P

kavz30
01-03-2008, 11:48 PM
:-) I prefer it in Japanese with English subtitles.

Zenx
01-04-2008, 11:16 PM
Subs... I generally dislike the english dubs. Naruto (when I liked it <_<) had bad dubs IMO and the Death Note dubs are absolutely horrid (Ryuk), again IMO.

VraieEsprit
01-05-2008, 07:03 AM
Since Fushigi Yuugi, I watch everything in Japanese with English subs, (or without subs if there isn't a subbed version since my Japanese has got to the point where I can watch an episode and know what's going on pretty clearly without them, even if I haven't got the fine tuning down).

The English dub for Yuugi is terrible, and if I'd watched it in English first I wouldn't have stuck with it at all. It's not just the awful voices for certain characters (cough Miaka and Hotohori cough), but the rewriting of the dialogue. I hate when it's "censored" by English dubbing (the thing that sticks in my mind is a comment Amiboshi-as-Chiriko makes to Nuriko which refers to Nuriko's sexuality and in the English dub it's completely altered to a non-sexuality related comment).

So since then, everything has been in Japanese with subs.

I would still watch Tenchi Muyou in English because I did years ago when I first saw it. But I also have a very strong respect for several of the Japanese seiyuu and actively look for shows they've been involved in. So English would rather defeat the object in those cases.

Besides, if I didn't watch in Japanese, I would have missed out on a lot *lol* I watched Kurenai no Tsuki (Haruka Naru Toki no Naka De 3 TV special) which hasn't even been subbed yet, and really enjoyed it...and am reading the HaruToki 1 manga...none of that's been released in English yet and may never be. Geneon have quit distributing things like Saiunkoku and Kyou Kara Maou, too - so who knows if and when shows like that will be dubbed and distributed properly in English?

That's not to say I have any issue with people who watch anime in English though. As far as I'm concerned it's an individual choice - it doesn't make you any more or less of a fan regardless of the language you watch it in.

As for reading and watching - I read really quickly and it becomes a habit. I just get annoyed when something is subbed in a language I don't understand, even if I understand the audio. Heck, even Japanese things where I can understand more of what I'm listening to than the subs (ie Chinese, etc). My eyes are automatically drawn to the subs and then I lose track of what's going on. So in those situations raw Japanese suits me better.

It pretty much means I'll only watch subbed anime if it's subbed in English or French. Even if it's the only version available, and even though my Japanese listening skills aren't too bad these days, I won't watch it if it's been subbed in Chinese or Italian or anything like that because it's too distracting. (And the subbers always put subs over written Japanese on the screen, too...which is annoying!)

Vraie

Renzoil
01-08-2008, 01:00 PM
I told a few friend s about this topic and they said they'd rather watch anime with english dubs.I like both.If I've watched an anime for a while in english I'll watch it in japanese with subs.

Rhoswen
01-08-2008, 01:14 PM
I prefer the English version.
I agree that the voices in Japanese sound a lot better.
However, I would rather watch the anime without missing anything than to read the subtitles at the bottom while watching the anime.
Lol, I find reading the subtitles annoying. =P

Gero50
01-08-2008, 04:08 PM
It really doesn't matter to me
However i will agree that the japamese version is better and more complete then the dub, although sometimes it is kinda nice to hear and understand what they're saying 2:)

Hideki Motosuwa.
01-08-2008, 04:26 PM
Dubs pretty much suck, but I still give them credit. Obviously it sounds natural in Japanese! And if you think the English dub sucks(no offense to the Chinese) you should hear the Chinese dubs! I mean, a boy sounds like a girl! All voices are high pitched too, even the guys. But not all English dubs are bad, the DBZ dubs are better(in Japanese sub, it sounds like Goku was sucking on helium!). And the dubs for Chobits, and DearS weren't bad.

xXshinigamiXx
01-08-2008, 04:40 PM
It depends for me, I think the Japanese voices always sound much better, but it kind of sucks having to read subs the whole time and sometimes having to pause to read a lot of text, so I guess English for me.

小美ドクロchan
01-08-2008, 06:21 PM
Depends COMPLETELY on which series it is and the company that's doing it.

I for one can NOT watch the Full Metal Panic series in Japanese. And the Japanese version of Nerima Daikon Brothers REALLY SUCKS. It was amazing....because Greg Ayres, Luci Christan, and Chris Patton are much more talented in acting AND singing than the original seiyuu for Hideki, Mako, and Ichiro.

Souji Seta
01-09-2008, 06:14 AM
Hmm, I like anime in japanese better because in the english dubbed edition, they tend to change the script. Some animes are way better in english though like Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo (my opinion only, please do not get offended).

It ain't really a pain in reading subs for me because I don't read them. I can speak japanese anyway (not that I'm bragging).

小美ドクロchan
01-09-2008, 11:54 AM
Hmm, I like anime in japanese better because in the english dubbed edition, they tend to change the script.

In my opinion, if they change the script to make it funnier (which ADV and Animeworks does A LOT) it's a-okay with me. XD

Saiyuko
01-09-2008, 11:55 AM
Usually japanese with subtitles.Sometimes in english.

larivermm
01-10-2008, 08:32 PM
First consideration: Which is cheaper and less of a hassle. I usually try to go for the dub because reading subtitles gets tiring, but many dubs suck so I go for the subs usually. The only good dubs I've seen are pretty much all of the adult swim anime, the Funimation dub of One Piece is pretty good.

On a Side Note, many people I know, including one of my friends, cannot stand any dubs, they always find SOMETHING wrong with them. I try to point out to my friend, how cheap he is so, I don't know why he can't lower his standards. I've watched anime in Japanese THEN English and usually don't see problems. The problems I see is the material changes in teen anime lowered to kid-level, like Naruto. They took out Rock Lee's Drunken fist!! A family friend's kid I know who's 10 could realize he was drunk. Either he is one of the coolest 10 year old kid I've ever seen or the editing is laughable.

Konata Izumi
01-10-2008, 10:58 PM
I usually like watching RAW, most of the time mainly to get good quality screenshots and I can get the main idea of the episode. English subs for Fruits Basket were pretty good, better than Naruto's at least.

Airrazor
01-12-2008, 02:25 PM
I don't like dubs.I prefer watching them in japanese but with english subs.I like the original voices,in english or another language dubbed sounds creepyXD.

poison.ivy
01-12-2008, 03:43 PM
Japanese with English subs. No explanation needed, I believe. Ohhh, okay. English voices are irritating.
!!! Exception>>> Golden boy. It sounds awesome in English.

Marshmallow Fluff
01-12-2008, 04:49 PM
I like to watch anime in Japanese with English subtitles.

It sounds much more better than English. : ]

rf switch
01-12-2008, 07:08 PM
I like watching it in Japanese with English subs...then in English with English subs to see if the dub and sub tell the same story...Then If I put something on as I'm tired and going to bed it will be English because well I don't want to read in that situation.

Also sometimes if the English dub is really bad I'll watch it with that. It just gives it a little something....special? I dunno..The Bad dubs can be entertaining at times...

And I swear todays "bad" English dubs are nowhere near as bad as most of the English dubs from 15+ years ago...

larivermm
01-12-2008, 08:37 PM
Tenchi Muyo Dubbed from the 80s.

......................[shudders]................

NovaStar
01-12-2008, 09:47 PM
Tenchi Muyo Dubbed from the 80s.

......................[shudders]................

Correction: Tenchi Muyo wasn't Dubbed Untill 1992.

Hideki Motosuwa.
01-12-2008, 11:15 PM
I was just flipping through channels and decided to watch BLEACH, Death Note and now, Full Metal Alchemist, and all I have to say about the dubs is that they are weird! they have pretty horrible acting and it just seems like it dosen't belong there.

MissChelly
01-14-2008, 02:31 PM
Both. I first watch it with the english subbing and japanese vocals, then so I can pay more attention to the visual the next time around, I use english dubbing. (Unless the english dubbing is too yuck)

vixen_wolf
01-14-2008, 03:42 PM
i like to watch it in japanese. it help me learn the language better. plus it the orignal scipte and you miss out on so much in english. you somtimes even miss scenes and that enuff fer me.

Sayoshi
01-27-2008, 07:52 PM
Japanese with English subs.
So many things can go wrong with dubbing -.-;

Yuuichi-sempai
01-27-2008, 07:58 PM
For sure in Japanese, i would like to learn Japanese, and it is easier the more you hear the language, plus english dubs for the most part just dont sound natural to me.

psylitar
01-28-2008, 01:46 PM
TBH it all depends on how good the Dubbing is done. If the dubbing is proper and the feeling, tone, atmosphere are maintained, I like the Dubbed just fine.

IF they are going to hack the dubbing all up and make the characters say dumb junk, then i'd rather read the subtitles.

NovaStar
01-28-2008, 02:42 PM
Regex, we have Two posts of the same Exact topic and thread going on in the same exact forum, Would it not be a good idea to Merge the topics and Close one of them?

gd0929918
02-01-2008, 04:54 AM
subs, no dubs

mythroch
02-03-2008, 04:36 AM
*rant mode: On*

Question -
to all of you who adamantly state that watching anime in English looks weird. does that also apply to american cartoons. cause they're both just moving drawings. and personally I like watching something where the lip flaps match the dialogue.
was your first exposure to anime exclusively with Japaneses audio. have you purchased a professionally mastered DVD or do you just watch fanvids downloaded off the net?
of course you don't get the Japanese language jokes in English because they're two entirely different language structures, but having the subs try to explain them to you cause you don't understand Japanese is just as dumb. A decent ADR scripting usually solves that problem.
Do you stick to your adherence to Japanese because you feel that doing so makes you more, cultural, Otaku, intelligent......."Artistic"?
have you ever spend than more than four seconds on the English dialog to notice that the qualities vary, just like they do with Japanese?...
...ever?
do you hold those opinions because every one around you holds those opinions and you want to fit in?

just some things for some of us to consider seriously. (Don't bother putting up your hand. if you know who you are that's all that matters.)

*rant Mode:off*

a bit far perhaps but having to deal with that kind of opinionated, self-righteous drivel for an afternoon means that I had to get it out of my system. (I went To an Anime Club Conference today.)
I enjoy watching anime in both English and Japanese. but my choice varies depending on entertainment value, and whether or not Captain Obvious wrote the scrip in Japanese. or if a five year old wrote the English version. Granted, dubs aren't always perfect, but then, the same is true for the original masters.
I'm perfectly OK with other people having different opinions and preferences to me. but the moment you rag on someone else's opinions, be prepared for me to rag right back.

King_Shadow89
02-12-2008, 02:28 PM
I do both.I like watching the anime in its original langage but also have the English sus so I will know what they are talking about.
Example--> Broly The legendary Supersayian I watch it in English but I tranclate it into Japanese because the English tranclation is way different than the Japanese.

Miyazaaki
02-12-2008, 03:37 PM
That's pretty tough. In Japanese, you can hear the original words and phrases, and the original voices. But in english, you can pay more attention to the scenes instead of reading the subs.

I would probably go with Japanese w/ English subs, though.

Brewmaster
02-12-2008, 05:54 PM
I like to watch anime in Japanes and with English subs!!!!It's way better in their original voices but sometimes i prefer the English version but just sometimes!

~*Red*~
02-13-2008, 12:14 AM
I like to watch Japanese anime with English subs mostly.

DarkMoonPrince
02-13-2008, 12:32 AM
I would definately want to see it in japanese with English subs, For some reason, i just like to hear the voices in japanese. Also with some characters in english, their voices don't go with their characters.

allaboutyou3678
02-13-2008, 03:16 PM
I also prefer English subs. Although I have seen a good dub or 2.

Azrael91
02-13-2008, 06:38 PM
Subs, no doubt.

dublover kikyo
02-13-2008, 09:21 PM
As you can tell from my name, I LOVE dubs.

My reasons why:

1. Anime is a visual medium so it gets distracting reading words and it gives me a headache.

2. I think the English sounds better cuz the females in Japanese are so high pitched and teenage boys sound like the're in their 50's especially Shino from Naruto.

satsugai
02-13-2008, 09:23 PM
Subbed anime, for sure!

Don't get me wrong, there are some amazing voice talents in anime.
But, I prefer to watch subbed more than dubbed. :]

CroSsplay!
02-13-2008, 09:29 PM
I was just flipping through channels and decided to watch BLEACH, Death Note and now, Full Metal Alchemist, and all I have to say about the dubs is that they are weird! they have pretty horrible acting and it just seems like it dosen't belong there.

i have to fully agree with you 100% when i first started to watch anime i watched a good 2/3 of my anime on TV, now after watching anime for a few years i have come to apreciate the original language.

romy808
02-14-2008, 01:37 AM
I like to watch anime with english subtitles. The english dubbing comes out corny sometimes. Plus, you can learn Japanese and impress friends:p

devilsmaster
02-14-2008, 07:17 AM
I love watching Japanese anime with English subs.

mythroch
02-14-2008, 07:44 PM
I like to watch anime with english subtitles. The english dubbing comes out corny sometimes. Plus, you can learn Japanese and impress friends:p

dude, if you can learn a language, and I'm talking the proper deal with grammar, syntax and cadence, not just a few disjointed words here and there, than you have powers verging on the mystic.
...you do realize that even subtitled English are only general interpretations. if you had a direct translation of Japanese it would make less sense than a Scotsman on speed.

Pent
02-16-2008, 10:14 AM
subs > dubs

Asriel
02-16-2008, 10:31 AM
Japanese with english subs rulez.I can't watch Dubbed because yeah the english voices just suck plainly and plus I prefer it Subbed.

Hideki Motosuwa.
02-16-2008, 06:31 PM
Yeah, sware and laugh too, and they won't even know what you're saying, while you laugh at them for not knowing, and tell them what it means after.

moonlight_princess123
02-16-2008, 07:35 PM
definitly japanese with english subs!!! wayyy better

Inactive Account 0061
02-16-2008, 09:46 PM
eng subs!!!

**** i HATE eng dubs. it ruins a good Anime (also danish dubs on anime, like Naruto. SUUUUCKS!)

Mutsumi Anami
02-17-2008, 01:40 AM
Japanese with english subs (or Spanish xD)....I just love the sound of Japanese ^_____________ ^

*Tsuki*
02-17-2008, 01:52 AM
Hmmm... I like the sound of Japanese, but i don't like reading while watching. I like that i don't have to read in english, but i don't like the voices... So hard. :wacko:

http://www.animeforum.com/image/thum_13716647b3a0c09013c.jpg (http://www.animeforum.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=25850)

mythroch
02-19-2008, 02:00 AM
The Japanese think high pitched is cute.....I don't

Amako
02-19-2008, 08:57 AM
I would almost always choose the Japanese with subs over the Enlgish dubs.
For one, I just LOVE to hear the Japanese language being spoken...and for another, sometimes when the shows are being dubbed, translators leave things out, or censor things...

About the only show that I don't like watching the subs is Air Gear...-_-;;
I'm sorry, but the Japanese voice for one of the MALE characters is so high-pitched and girly (I think they had a girl voice him), that it drives into my skull.

Setosan
02-19-2008, 11:09 AM
It depends. I watched Azumanga Daioh with dubs first, and now I can't get used to the original voice actors. But with a ton of other shows, I can't used to the english voice actors. It's a vicious cycle.

Amziefied
02-19-2008, 11:12 AM
Depends if its a good english dub. But I usually watch it in japanese with english subs.

Hayanshii
02-19-2008, 11:13 AM
It depends. If I had watched the series or part of it with one language, it's hard for me to get used to the other.
On the other hand, voice actors like the one for Naruto's English voice make me want to bang my head against the wall...

AtOnEmEnT_
02-19-2008, 11:16 AM
I prefer it in Japanese with English subs.There were many times when I downloaded anime in English ,watched it 3 minutes and than deleted it immediately.The feeling isn`t the same...I don`t know how to explain it,but I lost the "magic" in English :/

Taco!
02-19-2008, 01:00 PM
As a future potential voice actress, it'd be pretty hypocritical of me to say that I prefer subs to dubs.

In all honesty, though, I like them both equally; both ways to watch anime have their pros and cons. Dubs are especially wonderful for those who have a difficult time reading, or who are vision-impaired. Subs are good for much of the same respective reasons, aiming more toward the hearing-impaired.

As for personal preference (me being okay with both vision AND hearing), I will admit that I do enjoy well-made english dubs, because the fact of the matter is that not ALL dubs are the spawn of the devil. Believe it or not? There ARE dubs that are incredibly well-made. As I said, my aim is to BE one of those people who dub anime (though that's not set in stone), so dubs also give me a chance to make my own opinions regarding casting, direction, how that character said that line, why this voice does or doesn't fit this character, etc.

Subs are amazing, because one can see the original series, as it was intended to be. And that, a lot of the time, is always a good thing. :3

Put simply? I like both. They both have their good points and bad points.

Phelyeg
02-19-2008, 02:45 PM
I would have to say the subs, simply because I like to view the series in it's intended context. Some VA's do a very good job with dubbing, but my preference lies with the original voices.

Raksha Keller
02-19-2008, 05:25 PM
I like it in Japanese with English subtitles most of the time
Only on very rare ones do I like it in English

Zanethose
02-19-2008, 05:33 PM
I prefer to watch the English Dubs of animes simply because its easier to hear something than it is to read it. Not to mention that I hate trying to watch an anime then having to down at the bottom of the screen to read what they are saying...

But if I have to, I will watch an anime with english subs, only if I have to though.

Hideki Motosuwa.
02-19-2008, 08:50 PM
The Japanese think high pitched is cute.....I don't
Yeah, and there's guys in anime with that high pitched voice!(which can get/or is already annoying!).

Evangelinia
02-19-2008, 08:58 PM
Anime in Japanese with English subs. I keep subtitles on my tv, so I'm already used to reading them, also, the majority of English dubs, the voice acting totally sucks....AKA One Piece. -_-''

kale
02-24-2008, 08:22 AM
japanese with english subs! it makes moe since in japanese!

blueangel06661
02-24-2008, 08:42 AM
Jap W/English sub!!

But I watch bleach in English for some reason.

CrimsonLumiere
02-24-2008, 09:13 PM
I much like to watch japanese with subs

kaori_tenshi
02-24-2008, 10:11 PM
English dubs make me cringe 99&#37; of the time.

Though, I do think Fullmetal Alchemist is a good english dub... -shrugs-
Death Note's is okay, minus L's voice...I really don't like L's english dub voice ><;

LittleMomo
02-24-2008, 10:16 PM
Japanese with subs is better. Go watch Prince of Tennis in Japanese, then tell me your reaction when watching it in English. It totally ruins everything!

NinnaMoon
02-24-2008, 10:28 PM
In English!!

Shiguri_Sohma<3
02-25-2008, 07:27 PM
japanese with englsh subs because i like a more authentic version of the show that has been messed with less. if the show was made in america and originally in english i dont mind so much

IchigoKiss
03-16-2008, 12:35 PM
I preffer Japanese with subs because take example of Tokyo Mew Mew in dub it's Mew Mew Power.
They named the characters Zoey, Bridget ... I can't really remember all of the names :unsure: but you know what I mean..

Love_less
03-16-2008, 12:39 PM
In Japanese with eng subs, of course !! ^^

BK_201
03-16-2008, 03:06 PM
Japanese with english subs! The voice acting is way better and itīs more authentic somehow...

Legend Saber
03-16-2008, 06:51 PM
Depends. There are certain series where I definitively prefer the English voice actors (The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Cowboy Bebop), several others where Japanese with subtitles is preferred (Hell Girl, Elfen Lied, Serial Experiments Lain), and others still where I don't particularly care (Berserk, School Rumble, Rozen Maiden).

Overall, however, I tend to go for Japanese with English subtitles wherever possible.