PDA

View Full Version : Kentai Life Returns!

tamerchris
12-11-2007, 07:07 AM
http://www.animelyrics.com/anime/haruhi/kentairaifu.htm

The ending, where Kyon talks after the song, he mentioned Asahina, Nagato and Koizumi but this translator only got Asahina right.

Which means, there's some serious problem with the translation because the names of the characters is translated into something else. I can't even begin to imagine this person passed the Japanese test.
Either that or this person translate by merely listening to the song and not translate from the Japanese lyrics, which can cause many mistakes.

AzureDark
12-19-2007, 10:49 AM
Sorry, but Ayu Ohseki is a fellow AL.com admin, so I believe he knows what he's doing :p

Well, I'll talk to him about his translation methods. I'm sure a good t/ler has a reason for things.

Kaitou Ace
12-19-2007, 12:23 PM
And actually, I have to disagree with the original poster. I just listened to the song, and I don't hear Kyon mentioning anyone else by name. The booklet doesn't list any of the spoken words at all either, none of the monologues are listed in the Haruhi song collections. Advance the video on the song page to 3:13 and listen to what is said, I can't make out Nagato or Koizumi's names being mentioned.

Sakura Koneko
12-19-2007, 02:26 PM
It's possible that the person who made this thread mistook 'Koitsu ni' for 'Koizumi', I just looked at the lyrics and listened to the song and that's the only part that I could see that might bring about some confusion if a person was just listening to it.

tamerchris
02-02-2008, 12:21 PM
Kaitou Ace, it's true I haven't have the kanji lyrics. But it's just so obvious that the names were mentioned.
True, I may be wrong, but here's what I hear:

After the song ends, Kyon said to Asahina to do something about it (prevent Haruhi harassing her), then said Nagato to hear and say something too. At very last, he tells Koizumi, shut up (probably because he always makes situation worse for them).

AzureDark, you said the translator has his reasons, but on the lyrics page comment itself, he said that he can't hear those parts clearly, an indication that he translate based on what he hears and there's room for errors.
Hey, even the easiest one is wrong! At the beginning, it's "Kono kentai wa", a reference to the title itself.

And Tsubomi Koneko, you have only passed lyrics lv1, so you may not know the meanings of the words could changed if a few words is different, and no, I've hear this song dozen of times before I'm sure enough to start a thread about it.

Rizuchan
02-02-2008, 01:35 PM
I have to say I agree with tamerchris on the this. I'm not the greatest when it comes to doing this sort of thing by ear, but this is what it sounds like to me:
"Mou, Asahina-san mo nanka itte yatte kudasai! hora, Nagato kiita
baka ni hiitenaide, nanika iette! Koizumi, omae wa ii, damattero."
so something like
"C'mon, Asahina-san, say something! Hey, Nagato, don't just listen and play dumb, say something! Koizumi, you're fine, shut up."

Not so sure about the part after Nagato; that's just what the original lyrics on the site had.

However, tamerchris, I don't think this reflects the translator's ability. If you would pay attention to what everyone else is saying, the spoken parts aren't in the kanji lyrics. This means that it has to be translated by ear. Most likely, the rest of the song was done with kanji so it is probably accurate, but errors with the spoken parts is going to be inevitable.

tamerchris
02-02-2008, 02:38 PM
Yeah, Rizuchan I noticed.

When I said I have not the kanji, I was referring to the whole lyrics. That was my first few words in that post and I don't know for sure what's in the booklet like Kaitou Ace said until I found the kanji on the web and thus, didn't I mention 'he said he can't hear those parts clearly, an indication he translate based on what he hears and there's room for errors'?

So, I know the monologues aren't in the kanji. Yes, I was paying attention to what others are saying but you're not paying attention to what I wrote.

Rizuchan
02-02-2008, 05:08 PM
didn't I mention 'he said he can't hear those parts clearly, an indication he translate based on what he hears and there's room for errors'?Yes, you did.

I can't hear these parts terribly well in Japanese, so in the case of the translations, I took my best shot.That means all the parts with *s next to them. If you look, all of the lines marked with them are parts of the dialouge, not the lyrics.

EJTranslations
02-02-2008, 10:05 PM
For whatever it's worth, I also heard the names. It makes more sense to me that way, anyway.

AzureDark
02-02-2008, 11:12 PM
This is another issue in the loads of issues we have about transliteration - whether to be verbosal or official. This is another grey area, since both have its own arguments - a verbosal translit would be more useful for karaoke or likewise while an official translit which follows the booklet would have no places where it is refutable.

EJTranslations
02-03-2008, 12:16 PM
I thought it was generally accepted that transliterating by ear was bad and transliterating by the booklet was good?

Also, I wouldn't say that's the issue here, since there are no official kanji lyrics to go off of. If there were, I'm sure everyone here would agree that whatever they said was correct.

AzureDark
02-03-2008, 05:20 PM
Yes it is bad (it's the first lesson I ever had the day I stepped into the old site) but I was referring to the ones where you're quite sure it sounds like it, such as background lines, your oohs and aahs and whatever.

Although I am an official-based translitter I break the law in a few minor cases like line and stanza arrangement (no double-breaks, cut if too long for page, cut if for some reason they're inconsistent with v-b-c arranging etc) and the occasional figurative (http://www.animelyrics.com/game/diesirae/einsatz.htm)...