PDA

View Full Version : Rocco DeLuca and the Burden

Yugure's Goddess
12-05-2007, 07:47 PM
Rocco DeLuca and the Burden

Genre of music: His music is classified as rock. Whatever you're picturing so far, I assure you, is wrong. This is it's own genre, but apparently "their influences range from Mississippi John Hurt, Ravi Shanker, Pink Floyd and Mahalia Jackson" (quoted from Wikipedia) but even that doesn't do it justice. These guys have their own thing going on. It is some of the most original music I have ever heard. And it's beautiful.

Band Members:
· Rocco DeLuca - guitar (Dobro), vocalist, lyricist, and songwriter
· Ryan Carman - drummer
· Dave Beste - bass
· Greg Velasquez - percussionist
· Brett Bixby (touring) - Keyboard, rhythm guitar, sitar

Songs:
I don't think that this band has many albums out. As far as I know they have their first album (I Trust You to Kill Me) and a couple of singles. Of the songs that I've heard (which isn't many) these are my absolute favorites.

I Trust You to Kill Me
Swing Low
Painfully Pretty

Life Span:
This band has been active 2005 - present.

Level of difficulty to find:
High. Apparently a friend of my step dad’s has had a lot of difficulty finding this guy's albums and he's been looking pretty hard for a couple weeks now. Of course that's probably because we live in an itty bitty town in the middle of Nowhere, East Texas, but we haven't been able to find any of this guy's music. If you look in a larger city then you might be able to find him, though, and on sites like amazon.com you can order his CDs and have them delivered. There is a link to his iTunes on his page (posed below). He's a relatively young artist and he isn't very popular, yet, so this difficulty in finding him is to be expected.

However if you visit Rocco DeLuca Site (http://www.roccodeluca.com/home.htm) you can find samples of his music in little music videos and ringtones.

My Own Thoughts on the Band:
Rocco, himself, is one of the greatest guitarists I've ever heard. His style of music really feels like a Mississippi folk singer and his voice- mmm! His voice, oh my, makes me think of a black gospel singer. I was thinking it the whole time we first saw a little concert of his on DirecTV 101, but my mother said it: when he sung, it made us think of the movie, O' Brother Where Art Thou.

I will tell you now, and anyone who knows me and my taste in music will know that I positively worship the musicians I'm fixing to compare Rocco to. They will also know that this is not something that I would do on a whim and for no decent reason. I may be rash but I’m not so rash as to say any artist can even begin to compare to Yngwie Malmsteen, Joe Satriani, or The Red Hot Chili Peppers.

Yngwie is a guitarist that plays just about as fast as I’ve ever heard any guitarist play and his Arpeggios From Hell is one of the coolest (and probably one of the most difficult) guitar solos I've ever heard. Joe Satriani's Midnight is one of the most beautiful guitar pieces ever conceived, played double-tabbed throughout and on a level of difficulty equal to if not higher than Yngwie's Arpeggios. And I just plain worship the Red Hot Chili Peppers. This is first time that a single artist was competing with my love for these three so easily. With a single song I was into it and liking just as well if not more than I love Satriani, Malmsteen and RHCP. This guy is definately worth looking into.

Interesting tidbit: The record label he is signed to is Ironworks, owned by Kiefer Sutherland. That's right, Jack Bauer knows good music when he hears it.

Please feel free to post comments.

love
dani
dude

Jose
12-05-2007, 10:50 PM
your colorful LOL that is the only song i know why them idk if i like the band but i like that song

Yugure's Goddess
12-09-2007, 11:47 AM
I've heard some of colorful, not all of it, but some. I liked what I heard of that song, too. The rest of their songs are just as good if not better with a lot of the same feeling and musical style. If you liked colorful you'll probably like the rest of their works, if you ever got to hear them.

Hey, you know my mom first found them on a concert on DirecTV 101 and my stepdad fell in love. I liked it a lot, too, but my step dad was joking around about divorcing my mom so he could date him, and he was complaining that he probably already had a boyfriend. >_< Erm... yeah, my step dad likes playing guitar and really respects some one who can play as well as Rocco... to say the least. ^_^

love
dani
dude

flickfan82x
02-01-2008, 04:32 PM
Rocco DeLuca is great!