PDA

View Full Version : Breath

Rhoswen
11-30-2007, 01:33 PM
Imagine yourself having a conversation with someone (perhaps a friend). You noticed that he or she has really bad breath and you can't stand it. What will you do?

Here are some options to choose from:

a) Hold your breath when he/she is talking. Breathe when he/she stops talking.

b) Offer gum/tic-tac/mint...etc to this person.

c) Simply tell this person about his/her breath.

d) Excuse yourself from the conversation.

Perhaps you like to share some other options?
Or maybe, you like to tell us your past experience about this situation.
Enjoy!~

Meyrin
11-30-2007, 03:01 PM
I simply ignore it. Sometimes it's not a person's fault if they have bad breath. Some people just has a problem with there gums and usually bad breath is caused within the throat.
If the smell is too unbearable, I offer them a mint.

SuXrys
11-30-2007, 03:10 PM
I would b) Offer gum/tic-tac/mint...etc to this person. and then I would

c) Simply tell this person about his/her breath.

and thats the reason why i offered that gum. :D

MomijiTMO
11-30-2007, 03:53 PM
Since I'm minty, I always have some kind of mint on me (Tic Tacs and Spearmint Extra) so I just have one and offer them.

It's way harder if they have bad BO.

Ichiro Matsuchani
11-30-2007, 03:57 PM
I'd just inform them of the stench right off the bat. After that, I'd do the best I could to just ignore it.

Keeping gum handy is always a good thing, though.

Eris
11-30-2007, 04:22 PM
Have you considered that maybe it's not them having bad breath, as much as it is you having your nose too close to your mouth?

Rhoswen
11-30-2007, 04:37 PM
Have you considered that maybe it's not them having bad breath, as much as it is you having your nose too close to your mouth?

For any individual the exact status of their breath can be difficult to ascertain. The reason for this lies in the fact that the oral cavity, the source of our breath, is connected to our nose by way of an opening which lies in the back of our mouth (back in the region of our soft palate). Since noses tend to filter out and ignore background odors, it filters out and ignores our own bad breath. This means it is quite possible for a person to have bad breath, yet not be aware of it.

(Source) (http://www.animated-teeth.com/bad_breath/t1_halitosis.htm)

UrusaiSevera
11-30-2007, 04:52 PM
Tell they stink out of their mouth, offer them a refreshment and carry on with the conversation, though taking only shallow breaths.

Eris
11-30-2007, 04:58 PM
(Source) (http://www.animated-teeth.com/bad_breath/t1_halitosis.htm)

Way to completely miss the joke.

foxkit2409
11-30-2007, 05:58 PM
None of my friends are really sensitive about their breath, so I just say,
"Your breath stinks lady." and the conversation goes on like nothing happened.

CrimsonMoon
11-30-2007, 06:21 PM
I tend to ignore that if I can afford it. But other times, I tell them directly. Unfortunately my friends are mostly sensitive. Though they don't say it, I know they're embarassed and hurt if I told them.

DOOM!
11-30-2007, 06:33 PM
What if YOU'RE the one who's breath stinks, would you:

a) Hold your breath when you are talking. Breathe when you stops talking?

b) Ask gum/tic-tac/mint...etc from this person?

c) Simply tell this person about your breath?

d) Excuse him from the conversation?

lovelicious
11-30-2007, 06:33 PM
I would do either :a) Hold your breath when he/she is talking. Breathe when he/she stops talking , or b) Offer gum/tic-tac/mint...etc to this person.

Overlord Darth Fluffles
11-30-2007, 06:40 PM
I would lift up my arms, and destroy them with FORCE LIGHTNING!!! Actually I just ignore it. I have my bad breath days too ya know. We ALL do.

Sanosuke23
11-30-2007, 06:48 PM
Way to completely miss the joke.

No no, they caught your typo, I think.

If you meant "their mouth" instead of "your mouth," at least.

Buruku
11-30-2007, 06:49 PM
Depends on how close I am to the person, my responce would be either two things:

1. Dude, you need a mint.

or

2. Take a step back, and not say anything.

Gizoku
11-30-2007, 07:07 PM
I usually keep a straight face and bear with it.
Or if I'm really close with that friend I'd mostlikely say that they have bad breath, in a joking kind of way, pull out some gum for me, and ask if they want some xD

International 4-8818
11-30-2007, 07:08 PM
I just tell them straight up your breath stanks.

Eris
11-30-2007, 07:41 PM

What the...? No, I didn't mean that. You, too, completely miss the joke.

Asriel
11-30-2007, 09:05 PM
B)!!!!!!!!
I'd so offer them a tic tac or some gum...........or anything that can refreshen there breath.
I'd also tell them that it stinks and if I don't feel like doing either of the two,i'd leave and asked them to talk to me later.

____
12-01-2007, 01:04 AM
I either ignore it or I casually offer a mint, and they usually take it. The trick is to take a mint for yourself first then say, "Do you want one?" Then it's all good (if they accept it).

gyakusetsu
12-01-2007, 01:08 AM
I will most certainly tell them. People who have bad breath are usually "close talkers" too and that is absolutely intolerable

OminousCloud
12-01-2007, 01:18 AM
I'd offer them some gum

Sanosuke23
12-01-2007, 01:31 AM
What the...? No, I didn't mean that. You, too, completely miss the joke.

What, that their own breath stinks? Then why would the thread be about telling someone else?

The joke I misinterpreted it to be was funnier than that. =/

Oh yeah, I forgot:

I would ignore it. Only a tool would act differently, and only a weirdo would be so close to someone's face in casual conversation in the first place.

demon_girl_
12-01-2007, 10:59 PM
i would either

a) walk away
b) stand there and think happy thoughts
c)give them somthing minty and good smelling
d) if it's that bad, i would stick a air freshner in their mouth and run away

harakiri
12-01-2007, 11:09 PM
Well I wouldn't be so close enough to someone's face on the fist place. But I guess would offer this person some minty gum. If I don't like the person...I will just tell them they have bad breath...

iRevo
12-01-2007, 11:11 PM
Want it romantic?

Say to her:
"Hey got something for you(hesitate 4 awhile). Close your eyes, Open your mouth (QUICKLY, pop a piece gum or mint in)."

Well thats my idea, prolly that'll get ur first kiss (or not).

zyronet
12-02-2007, 03:46 AM
Offer them the gum/tic-tac/mint, if that's the easiest way to help them for that bad breath stuff, without letting them feel insulted.
But still, maybe sometimes its better saying it frankly.

Sushi Love
12-02-2007, 03:58 AM
If he or she is a realy good friend, I would tell them they need some gum. If not a realy good friend, just a person i met, i would walk away.(try not to embarrise them)

onigiri princess
12-02-2007, 10:15 AM
oh gosh i know that feeling, i have a friend who's breath stinks like no tomorrow, if it's one thing i can't stand it's bad odors >.<~
um i haven't said anything to her to not hurt her feelings, but i guess to avoid I'd keep getting breath mints and offer her some time to time, but there will be a day when i should tell her /. ./

by the end of next year?

smile1010
12-02-2007, 10:21 AM
xD whats a weird questions.
Well...I'd hold my breath when he or she speaks, if it's an adult.
If it's one of my friends I'd just tell him or her that his or her breath smells like a rat died in my pants..
gah
I'd really say that....

sadida
12-02-2007, 12:25 PM

i think eris means that maybe the person complaining about the stinky breath is actually smelling their own breath . And the other person probably meant that you can't exactly smell you own breath.

As for me, i would hold my breath...try to turn my head to inhale fresher air.:closedeye

Gaarademon
12-03-2007, 07:58 AM
Ignore the smell and maybe offer him a piece of gum if I had some on me

Pleiades
12-26-2007, 04:41 PM
I'd be honest with that person and simply tell him/her. I'm pretty sure deep inside, they'd thank me for this.

TheAsterisk!
12-26-2007, 05:02 PM
I'm not one for subtlety; I've been known to chase away flatulent persons while weilding an aerosol can. Having said that, it all depends on who it is that offends. Were it my brother, I'd likely say something along the lines of, "Do you BRUSH? Please, for the safety of everyone else here, clear up that sewage in your mouth. Uuhhhgg!" If I'm dealing with a superior or someone who may (potentially) give me monies, goods, and/or services, I'll just act as if all is well in the valley.
Sometimes, though, I don't even notice bad breath; I breathe through my mouth a lot.

poison.ivy
12-26-2007, 05:04 PM
If it's a close friend, I would just tell him/her about it through some joke while offering a gum. If it's not someone that close, I'd discreetly offer a gum. But the problem is: what if I don't have any...

Aki no iko
12-26-2007, 05:25 PM
I'd offer them some gum.

Or some fruity candy.

=P

Rikku FFX
12-26-2007, 07:50 PM
'Hold your breath when he/she is talking. Breathe when he/she stops talking.'

I think I'll go with this option.
I've tried this method several times and I was successful with it.

Magisha
12-26-2007, 09:06 PM
I wouldn't hold my breath. . . But I would try to ignore it. I don't like to make people feel embarrassed or self-conscious about themselves. . .

Though, if I was carrying some mint on me, I would offer it to them! ^^

GaaraSandDemon
12-26-2007, 10:39 PM
I'd...Throw a gum pack at their face and run for dear life...

jewel2sparkle
12-26-2007, 10:57 PM
I would just suck it up and not say anything about it.I'm just that kind of person.

Hypergraphian
12-26-2007, 11:04 PM
tell them.... and then offer the mint.... perhaps they'll be seduced enough by the candy to not hate you after that.....

For me the act of telling them is a favor. If they were talking to someone else more important after me, like their boss or lover, it'd do them good to know before hand....

Mini
12-26-2007, 11:35 PM
I would tell the friend of mine that she or he has a bad breath so he or she can do something about. I would offer a piece of gum if she or he ask. That's what good friends do tell each other the truth about the problem and fix it.

.Lovebeat
12-27-2007, 04:24 AM
I would ignore it xD and when I find a good situation to give them a gum, I will. After lunch, probably. Hey, maybe that's why my friends offer me gums all the time?

Ami~chan
12-27-2007, 09:12 PM
Take out some gum, pop one piece in my mouth, and then offer them a piece too. This way, they just think you're offering them a piece because you wanted one. No one's offended.

But if they don't accept the gum, I just breath out of my mouth instead of my nose. Unless they're an extremely close friend, that is. Then I'll just tell it to'em like it is.

names red
12-29-2007, 09:47 PM
Ok...(this is a strang one) anyway i would simply tell them once i notice it and just to be safe i would take some time to make sure i check and make sure its not me. And act random when i give there b-day present.(which would be loads of gum and mints)

-case closed-

Baka
12-29-2007, 10:34 PM
I would just tell them. If I had bad breath I would want to know.

Elphaba
12-30-2007, 06:17 PM
i would ignore it and then i would forget.

Acnologia
12-30-2007, 06:24 PM
Just tell them, It will probably help them later on.