PDA

View Full Version : Anime on Blu-Ray or DVD?

Light Buster
11-23-2007, 10:31 PM
I think this question may have been asked already so if it is let me know and give me a link to it.

I was wondering about this. Since this format war is going on so long I wanted to asked this question. Is it better to have anime on DVD or Blu-Ray?

I just wondering if my Xbox 360 at my house or the PS3 at my dad's is the best format to play anime on it.

Aizmov
11-24-2007, 01:16 AM
on DVDs, a lot cheaper
I wont buy no HD-DVD nor Blu-Ray, I don't get the point of them, plus no one knows what format will win, if any!

overwatch
11-24-2007, 06:03 AM
DVD will stick around for a while yet - consider that at the moment a whole series of anime will cost you around £50(ish) for say 5 DVDs. People are prepared to pay £10-£20 pounds for a DVD with 4 episodes. Now consider that a single blueray disk will hold an entire anime series, are consumers willing to pay £50 for a single disk? Or, lets push to a longer series, £100 pounds for a huge sereis - I don't think so. People like to feel that thet have bought something with worth and if they only get one disk they will argue that that is all they should pay for. The consoles will be a minor consideration for DVD producers, because not all of the target market will own them. Thus the type war will fizzle for a while I think - the DVD is still young, and does all that producers really want already - so there is no major drive for them to change

onigiri princess
11-24-2007, 07:22 AM
I'd just buy a normal dvd because of the price, i mean i don't see why you should buy a hd dvd when you can buy it cheaper, even if you'd want to have it in hd, you should buy a movie that would be best in your taste to be hd (say out of all the dvd's you have, one of them like spider man 3 etc in hd, that way you'll always enjoy the quality of the movie that's best) but thats just opinion anyway XD ,i'd set my money on the best film to be hd. um blue ray? well thats a bit over the top, because todays quality is fine enough, why have it more over the top hd? I'd say any average money spending person would just buy a simple dvd and enjoy a movie.
oh yeah if you want to play anime on a console you should play it on ps3, because the picture quality in it is superb compared to xbox360 (not saying it's bad, it's okay, like a normal dvd player) , I'd definitely play it on a ps3 for best quality ^-^

Doom85
11-24-2007, 10:44 AM
I'm really indifferent. The format war seemed to be going to Blu-Ray, but then Paramount/Dreamworks became HD exclusive, giving them more steam (I mean, I've seen Transformers in HD, and it looks :awe:). So it could go either way at this point.

Though personally, DVDs on my PC look great. I don't even see how anime could be improved with HD/Blu-Ray, but that's just me.

Buruku
11-24-2007, 11:01 AM
Do they even release anime in Blu-ray yet? I didn't think they did.

As of now, I don't really care...Blu-ray is a better picture, but there's a lot of people who just don't know the difference.

I just wondering if my Xbox 360 at my house or the PS3 at my dad's is the best format to play anime on it.
Its not going to play in high-def just because you put it in a one of those systems, the actual movie you are buying has to be in that format to work. So, unless you have an anime dvd in HD or Blu-ray, then its not going to play like that. And like I said before, I don't know if anime is currently being released in those formats, and if they are its probably only a select few.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

overwatch
11-24-2007, 11:29 AM
This is another point - the improved screen quality from DVD to HD/blueray is not much and in anime probably not even present. Anime moving to the CGI might reap some benefits, but traditional animated productions I can't see as gaining much by the change over

The Wing Man
11-29-2007, 10:26 PM
Yah just get dvd.

ChibiSasukex
11-30-2007, 09:13 AM
DVD (or HD DVD)

wolfgirl90
12-02-2007, 10:27 PM
The only anime that I know that is on Blu-Ray is Blood: The Last Vampire..and this is actually a movie. As far as I know, there is no anime on these HD formats and probably won't be any until one of these formats wins the war. Releasing an anime on DVD is already expensive. Companies don't want to release anime on these different formats.

There really isn't much of a difference between HD-DVD and Blu-Ray. HD-DVD has better sound while Blu-Ray has better picture. Although Blu-Ray disk players tend to be more expensive, they have more movies and support. I know that Sony Pictures supports Blu-Ray, so if they release any anime, that would be really cool (Advent Children in HD, anyone?:D ).

There is one thing I have been thinking about. Although Blu-Ray disks have region codes just like DVDs, they have only three codes while DVDs have six. On Blu-Ray, Japan has the same region code as the United States (along with a bunch of others) which means that disks from there can play here unlike with DVDs where Japanese disks won't play on American DVD players because of the different codes. Since Japan is VERY serious about people importing their movies, I don't know how this is going to work for them;) .

darthvenjoh
12-03-2007, 07:08 AM
For now DVD is much popular but later on i think Blu-ray will step on the industry

Professor Chang
12-15-2007, 09:41 PM
I love DVD.... the Blu Ray revolution starts to brings me angry

Asriel
12-15-2007, 09:51 PM
Anythings okay with me.
Really I prefer DvD, but with not watching anime,i'll go with Blu-Ray.
Watching it on my portable dvd player,Ps2,or just a Dvd player is fine with me.^^

daft
12-15-2007, 11:30 PM
I use to only be able to afford VHS tapes, and not DVDs.

But then I got a job, and more money too. Soon I was able to buy anime DVDs regularly,, and for a good price I must say!

And now, after years of spending, and trying to get to this point,,
they come out with...Blu-Ray?!?!

I say f*** that!

Keep the anime on DVD!
It's today's viewing standard, and I would like to keep it that way!

Tasold
12-17-2007, 06:54 AM
Normal DVD as it is the cheapest and will stay around for a long time. HD-DVD's will end up OK but at the moment too expensive and no point to them. Blu-ray is just pointless and will end up like the bakalite (think thats what it's called) the thing that tried to take over from VHS but didn't. It's all right for the PS3 but is like the UMD for PSP the films are too expensive so stick with the games.