PDA

View Full Version : Lets all laugh at my translations

YoshiSato
11-20-2007, 10:43 PM
I'm trying to translate some song titles into English because I can't find any already translated titles. Does anyone mind telling me how badly I botched the job. All I used was a dictionary and some context (these are from the Fate / Stay Night OST)

Here's what I got so far. No need to hold back on the laughter.

洗礼 - Baptism
運命の夜 - Night of Fate
魔術師 - Magician
聖杯 - The Holy Grail
英雄王 - The Hero King

That's all I can come up with so far.

tetekmakhang
11-21-2007, 11:30 AM
You can add a 'the' to make it The Baptism and The Magician. Japanese doesn't have this concept of 'the', so it's totally optional and completely up to the translator.

Night of Fate would sound better as Fateful Night

Unknownymous
11-22-2007, 01:28 PM
*looks at topic title* o_o
AHAHA THAT'S SO FUNNY MAN. They're pretty accurate, but since you told us to laugh... LOLOLOLOLO D: LOOOOOOOOOOOOOL LOOOOOOOOOL AHAHAHA WAHAHAHAHA!

Magician can also be translated into different Japanese words, depending on what kind of magician it is. Your translation is more like somebody who poofs stuff up out of nothing (think Akazukin Chacha). It can also be an illusionist.

Other ways to translate it would include 魔法使い (mahou tsukai), which usually means witch/wizard, or somebody who uses actual magic (魔法 = magic, 使い = user).

Finally, there's also the term 妖術者 (youjutsusha; from 妖術 [youjutsu], which means, but not literally, black magic). The term can be translated into sorcerer, but always with a connotation of being dark or even evil. You'd see this term in games sometimes, if one of the bad guys is a sorcerer, who's trapped your princess in a tower or something. They also used this term for people who placed curses on others, or those who used spirits as magic.

I'd have translated 英雄王 as King Hero, but it's just a matter of personal taste.

Good job in general, though.