PDA

View Full Version : New SEGA system?!?

TKTwilight
11-13-2007, 03:48 PM
I heard from my friend that on Attack of the Show, they said that SEGA was making a new console. Do you think that this is true, or this was a rumor?

octorain
11-13-2007, 03:51 PM
I hope that it is true, that would be real cool. If it is than me and friends won't need to make a group to get a new system, sega systems were the best, and ahead of their time by a bit

Knuffle Bunny
11-13-2007, 04:02 PM
It could be possible, nothing to be surprised about really. In fact, since i'm too poor to afford a WII, and if this new console is pretty wicked, i'd consider purchasing.

Regex
11-13-2007, 04:17 PM
Sega has withdrawn from the hardware business entirely, following the death of Isao Okawa as well as the Dreamcast itself.

It would surprise me if they tried to get back in.

TKTwilight
11-13-2007, 04:23 PM
You know what would be funny. If SEGA says that the reason they're making a new console is only to beat Nintendo.

Aizmov
11-13-2007, 04:54 PM
There's already 3 consoles in the market, I don't see any chance for a 4th console.

Regalyn
11-13-2007, 09:47 PM
well it is considering but 4th console? that could be either good or bad but let just see how it goes.

KuroTan
11-13-2007, 10:11 PM
Sega's doing pretty well just producing games software. I don't think they would want to jeopardize that niche by manufacturing a game console. Unless they were really sure that people would buy it in favour of the three others out there. But I would find that very unlikely.

Manhattan_Project_2000
11-13-2007, 10:27 PM
Just what the world needs... Hasn't Saga failed enough? Shouldn't they just be glad they still exist after making every attempt to wipe themselves off of the map? Sure, they make good games, but they have all the business sense of a chimp.

Unknownymous
11-14-2007, 07:35 AM
Long ago, SEGA announced that they'd be dropping out of the console race so they could concentrate on what they do best: making games. SEGA was struggling, after the release of the MegaDrive II/Sega CD, which was also losing to the more popular console, at least in the US, the SNES. The Saturn didn't sell as well as they thought it would, especially compared to the monster PSX system released at the same time.

After many failures in the console world, they dropped out of the console-making race. It's not that their consoles were bad, defective/faulty/buggy, or had bad games, but they couldn't figure out the best way to market them, which was something that both Nintendo and Sony did very well.

My point is this; if SEGA decides to suddenly jump back on the console-making bandwagon after years of being stagnant, especially considering their track record, they're making a really bad move. The only reason they'd try this is if they're either under new management, or their higher ups are really into taking risks.

I suggest they stick to making games. They made awesome games, and some of their games are still pretty awesome now (Phantasy Star Online, for example, is still one of the best online RPGs). We don't need new consoles. Heck most people can't even keep up with the number of consoles we already have. They need to focus on making games that make us go wow.

Regex
11-14-2007, 09:59 AM
I suggest they stick to making games. They made awesome games, and some of their games are still pretty awesome now (Phantasy Star Online, for example, is still one of the best online RPGs). We don't need new consoles. Heck most people can't even keep up with the number of consoles we already have. They need to focus on making games that make us go wow.
This used to be true. The games Sega made used to be good, but Phantasy Star Online is hardly a shining beacon of amazement. Aside from all the cheating that goes on, very few people seemed to play the game for any reason than just a graphical chat room, even during the game's "prime".

I agree that they shouldn't be in the console business (and I did mention a few posts up that they dropped out, but as usual, nobody reads any post besides the first one) but I really don't think they're that great at making games anymore either. They have their occasional winner here and there, but none of them turn out to be must-haves.

Buruku
11-14-2007, 11:00 AM
Sega has put out 3 systems that I've gotten enjoyment out of, I say screw the haters.

I see little chance that this is more then a rumor, Sega has long been out of the console making business. There games aren't even very good anymore.

777ZAP
11-23-2007, 04:51 PM
I hate to say it, but i agree. Sega has been doing good just putting their games on other systems,(XBox, gamecube, Wii, ect.) and if they make a new system, the other companys won't accept Sega's games anymore. They would be scewed.

Unknownymous
11-24-2007, 09:58 AM
(and I did mention a few posts up that they dropped out, but as usual, nobody reads any post besides the first one)
I did read your post, that's why I emphasized on it. :D

777ZAP
11-25-2007, 05:20 PM
If there was no trouble with the other companies, I would say having a new sega system would be sweet.

Manhattan_Project_2000
11-25-2007, 06:52 PM
If there was no trouble with the other companies, I would say having a new sega system would be sweet.

I agree. If Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft died and no one made any games for the PC, then a new Sega System would be a good idea. UNLESS Atari rose from the dead like a majestic phoenix.*

*Sarcasm may be present.

Ketsuban80
11-25-2007, 08:43 PM
Alright now, TKTwilight, does your friend have any proof of this?

Opinionated
11-25-2007, 09:32 PM
I agree. If Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft died and no one made any games for the PC, then a new Sega System would be a good idea. UNLESS Atari rose from the dead like a majestic phoenix.*

*Sarcasm may be present.

Post-apocalyptic video game industry: Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo have nuked each other out of buisness. Companies thought long dead step into the ring to fight for dominance once more: Atari and Sega get there first. Suddenly, the remnants of Ninendo(Neotendo) emerge and throw their collective hats in. Sounds good.

Also, the only chance Sega really has with a new console is a handheld. But, no one, not even Sony, has been able to break Nintendo's gentle and loving iron grip on the handheld market.

Manhattan_Project_2000
11-25-2007, 10:07 PM
Post-apocalyptic video game industry: Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo have nuked each other out of buisness. Companies thought long dead step into the ring to fight for dominance once more: Atari and Sega get there first. Suddenly, the remnants of Ninendo(Neotendo) emerge and throw their collective hats in. Sounds good.

Also, the only chance Sega really has with a new console is a handheld. But, no one, not even Sony, has been able to break Nintendo's gentle and loving iron grip on the handheld market.

In this post-apocalyptic technological landscape, I'd have to give the win to The Phantom (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Phantom_%28game_system%29), which finally materializes in all it's ambiguous glory. It's best selling title? Duke Nukem Forever.

manslayer101
11-26-2007, 12:44 AM
Lol that's just wrong MHP2000, although it's known as one of the longest developed games, hence the phrase "it was called duke forever because it will take forever to come out"

but on subject, i honestly don't believe the claim, because after the dreamcast went down the tube sega had basically spent more than they made, so they made a deal with nintendo and kinda became a division of it, meaning that they would be competing against an ally in the console department, i'm not so sure i agree, or believe this

Ketsuban80
11-26-2007, 01:38 AM
Lol that's just wrong MHP2000, although it's known as one of the longest developed games, hence the phrase "it was called duke forever because it will take forever to come out"

but on subject, i honestly don't believe the claim, because after the dreamcast went down the tube sega had basically spent more than they made, so they made a deal with nintendo and kinda became a division of it, meaning that they would be competing against an ally in the console department, i'm not so sure i agree, or believe this

Yeah, I agree with you. Hopefully proof of this will emerge soon. I could always contact Sega about this, If you want. Although I doubt they'd actually tell just one person. Or else as soon as they tell me they announce It on the homepage. Wich again, I doubt.

niKopol
11-26-2007, 02:39 AM
but on subject, i honestly don't believe the claim, because after the dreamcast went down the tube.

I rather wished it hadn't, graphics were ahead of its time, internet capabilities, and the controller was simple compared to the N64. Nintendo even had a few failed products, N64 DD (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N64_DD), and that weird visor thingy with the red light (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_Virtual_Boy). If I was Sega I would wait a few more years.

Storm Strife
11-26-2007, 04:06 AM

Right on the ball there, aren't you Sherlock?

Now then, a new Sega system? The day that happens is the day Queen Elizabeth II (GOD SAVE THE QUEEEEEEEN) tells the different government parties to get lost and starts ruling the country herself.

manslayer101
11-26-2007, 10:07 AM
@Storm_Strife: of course, i was simply stating it.

@Kie_D_K: i don't know much about the dreamcast, except that it had games i wished i could've played, and that it was the last system that cost SEGA big time, and yes it did have early internet capabilities, i also wish it wouldn't have gone down

@Ketsuban: Seconded, although i don't think you need to ask them, i'm sure if it's true evidence will show up somewhere

As for my reply on the subject, i'm sticking with my previous statement

Aizmov
11-27-2007, 06:42 AM
In this post-apocalyptic technological landscape, I'd have to give the win to The Phantom (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Phantom_%28game_system%29), which finally materializes in all it's ambiguous glory. It's best selling title? Duke Nukem Forever.

I recall when I first read about The Phantom, I was like "that is a console I'd like to have", too bad The Phantom was in reality a phantom :ninja:

Ketsuban80
12-09-2007, 07:47 PM
I recall when I first read about The Phantom, I was like "that is a console I'd like to have", too bad The Phantom was in reality a phantom :ninja:

Wow, that's a slick pun.

Well, here's a link to a blog entry on gamespot about this:
http://www.gamespot.com/news/show_blog_entry.php?topic_id=26087196&sid=6183780&action=convert&om_clk=latestnews&tag=latestnews;title;3

Although when you think about It, it would be wierd if sega charged in by storm, since Sonic's in brawl and everything. Unless If after SSBB is released, Sega starts working on a new console.