PDA

View Full Version : Group projects?

dragon_nataku
11-07-2007, 04:11 PM
In work, school, uni, whatever. What do you think of them?

Personally, I don't like them at all. Since I usually get good grades (cept in things like math, but I've never had a math group project), teachers pair me up with people who tend to be failing so they can "even out" the grades... then the failing people leech off of me and I have to do all of the work or risk failing. ^;__;^ I usually end up posting a note to the teacher that the other person did nothing, but the other person still shares my grade most of the time. *sigh*

Feel free to post your horror stories of group projects, or fun group project assignments you've had.

Kariya The Wind
11-07-2007, 04:17 PM
I love them. It means I don't have to do any work because my group will all do it.

Baka
11-07-2007, 04:32 PM
The last time that I was involved with a group project, I did all of the work. It was my decision though. I didn't trust the other members of my group to do quality work. They probably thought it was really cool of me when really I just thought they were dumb. lol

Eris
11-07-2007, 04:37 PM
They suck. You either have to take bad grades because your group mates are imbeciles, or have to do two-three times the work to get decent grades. Neither prospect is appealing.

Manhattan_Project_2000
11-07-2007, 04:52 PM
I love them. It means I don't have to do any work because my group will all do it.
What a great lesson the Public school system has taught you.

KuroTan
11-07-2007, 06:15 PM
Group projects are fun if everyone involved really participates. But if they don't then that means more work for you as you try to pick up the slack to make up for everybody. That would mean doing the work of five people and the worst part is that they get the same grade for the work you did.

The only time I would really enjoy the idea of a group project is if it's something for the arts. Other than that I'd rather do my stuff alone.

╬Karami Mew~Meow
11-07-2007, 06:23 PM
They're okey. Sometimes, could be really fun.
But, I usually only use it for an excuse x.x (home group projects)
I'm used to woking on my own. But, I'd like it better if my members are students that actually pay attention to class, and does something. (but sometimes, that person who doesn't do anything could be me x_x ...well, they don't let me do anything, so, I just go to a dark side, and do nothin)

sa5m
11-07-2007, 06:36 PM
I only like them if the people in my group are of equal or greater intelligence than me. That sounded really cold. I didn't mean it to be like that. Whoops.

Memento Mori
11-07-2007, 06:39 PM
I never did like group projects, but I hate projects on your own. I'm just too lazy to do anything, but group projects are not that bad compared to a project on your own.

Buruku
11-07-2007, 06:39 PM
I prefer to be alone, because then I call the shots, I don't want anyone trying to fly my plane.

I just do a better job without anyone else. Unless, its like my best friend, then its twice as good.

Beast
11-07-2007, 06:45 PM
I hate group projects of any kind, aside from the fact that I work better on my own I don't like working with groups because there is always that ONE person that is so stubborn and won't do any work because they can't be in the same group as their friends.

rubberbabybuggybumper
11-07-2007, 06:59 PM
Group projects are fun if everyone involved really participates. But if they don't then that means more work for you as you try to pick up the slack to make up for everybody. That would mean doing the work of five people and the worst part is that they get the same grade for the work you did.

The only time I would really enjoy the idea of a group project is if it's something for the arts. Other than that I'd rather do my stuff alone.

Here, here. I hate it when there's that one person who doesn't do anything and they end up getting the same grade as you.

Like, for my engineering class, we were put into groups for the duration of the class and there's this one kid who's a total slacker. He missed two classes, which is terrible, and for our presentation that we had to give on a power source, he did no work. The rest of us spent over a week working on it and took the time to get together to finish it. He didn't even try to comprehend wht we were doing. He asked the day of the presentation what the presentation was about and what he had to do! I was considering taking his name off the powerpoint.

And he had the gall to say "Maybe I should start coming to class." I wanted to beat his head in. What really frustrated me was that each member had to present at least two slides so it made it look like he did work! But he got his because we each had to submit an individual assessment for each member and did not want to protect him or lighten the truth.

I don't like working in groups because I feel like I can do the job better working alone. However, I have to learn how to work in a group because it's a necessity for my major. Groups just annoy me.

Myrra
11-07-2007, 07:19 PM
I've never once had a good experience with group projects.
My nightmare with group projects began when I was 9-10 and was given a partner halfway into my science project. The other girl basically trashed my project and nearly killed my grade...not to mention losing any chance I had in the competition.
Rather than lose my grades, I learned to shoulder the entire workload for any and all group projects until university. As to why my bad experiences ended there, I didn't work on any group projects while at uni. Thank heavens!
The only thing I learned from this is that I hate it!! :mad: The groups are never made up of people who put in equal effort. There is always at least one person who refuses to do any work whatsoever, typically the person failing class anyway. I learned to hate people by all these failed experiments.
Thankfully for everyone, I have moved past my hate. :eek: Or have I?

foxkit2409
11-07-2007, 07:46 PM
I hate group projects, mainly cause if one person fails, we all fail.

Jagan Eye
11-07-2007, 08:40 PM
It pretty much depends on who I am with. Current group project in health isn't going too well because we aren't allowed to pick partners. I have 3 guys in my group (me being the only girl) and so they pretty much dump all the work on me. One of them has 2 broken arms, one sleeps in health b/c its 1st period, and the other is just there.
Group project in science, we get to pick partners, which always works out for me because then the work is divided.

CrimsonMoon
11-07-2007, 08:44 PM
I like peaceful and calm atmosphere. I can be pressured if I have to work in a group. I'm okay with group projects but there's always a 'defect' person in my group that'll refuse to contribute to anything. It's just unfair to give that person an equal mark when all she did was sit back and enjoy the view (of us working) without giving opinions and initiatives to help with the materials needed. ;_;

Souhi
11-07-2007, 09:26 PM
I despise group projects. Not to take this superior ground on anyone, but I almost always end up hounding people to do the tiniest bit of work. I end up with classmates that couldn't care less about their grades, but usually take advantage of the fact that I do. It's very annoying.

I don't even bother going to the teacher since it does little to resolve the problem. A bit of a lecture and it's back to square one.

Studying in groups on the other hand, is awesome. Being able to choose people to actually learn and bounce ideas with is great. I could only dream that group projects were more like that..

Twig Ee
11-07-2007, 09:43 PM
This just happened like a month ago but i was with my friend and the handicapped kid for a project. The handicapped kid thought he didnt have to work and did what ever he wanted well the teacher noticed it and our grade got pulled. (i have nothing against handicapped people)

OminousCloud
11-07-2007, 09:55 PM
I suppose I've been lucky, the groups I've been a part of have been really good. Usually we have to put together some sort of poster and then give a speech so we'd split the group into poster makers and speech givers, everyone attempts an answer to the question given, and the group leader collates the answers together. It's been a good system so far.

Thingle
11-08-2007, 03:33 AM
What's the pattern? Those who like group projects are the lazy bums. Not surprising.

zyronet
11-08-2007, 03:51 AM
It's actually alright for me about group projects. But that is if everyone in the group helps and contributes to the project. I did experience a time where I was the only one thinking and doing it.
I remember we have a group project where we need to draw our reflection about a particular poem. They were happy I was in their group, and ask me to draw. I was getting tired, so I asked them to help and they were all saying, "Sorry, i don't know how to draw." I was so annoyed and shouted out that they managed to go to highschool and yet they didn't know how to draw. In the end.. I finished drawing MY reflection about it, and just let them color and explain it in the presentation.
It really depends in who are you with and how you handle the group. >_<

SGI
11-08-2007, 04:15 AM
I personally dislike group projects, for much the same reasons that everybody else here has stated are their own reasons for disliking them. But alas, I understand the necessity they have in the real world.

Most projects or any major task executed in most work environments are group focused, therefore, we are usually stuck dealing with a group. I guess it is better getting used to the ‘fun’ of working with a group of imbeciles in a low stakes environment where at worst you will get a bad grade rather than said imbeciles costing you’re your job.

Now THAT would be much more unfortunate.

dragon_nataku
11-08-2007, 08:50 AM
Hum hum, yes, it seems like most of the people on here are the responsible type. I suppose for those of us who tend to do well group projects are a real hazard.

meh, I have a group oral exam coming up next week in Japanese class, and I got paired up with the class idiot. I don't trust him to put together a coherent sentence in Japanese, even one as simple as "I eat." We do get to read from a script in hiragana, but half the class still can't read hiragana, so I doubt he will be able to, and the script is two pages long. I have half a mind to do what my friend suggested and re-write the whole thing for him in romaji. ^-__-^;;

Like some people in this thread, I prefer to do things on my own, or with a friend I know I can trust to do their part, but for some unknown reason this semester my class is full of morons and the teacher assigned our groups. I just hope the other person in our group isn't as stupid as this guy... I don't know her so I have no idea. Seriously, this guy is sooooo... ugh. For example, the teacher explained "For sen (1,000) you don't have to put ichi sen (one one-thousand), but for man (10,000) you have to put ichi man (one ten-thousand)." And then right after she finished that sentance, this guy asks: "So for man you put ichi and for sen you don't? Is that right, or...?" I wanted to stand up and throw something at his head because he obviously hadn't been paying attention. He always has some excuse: "Oh, I had an orgo test," "Oh, my brain is fried," "Oh, I was studying all week" (obviously not for Japanese...), "Oh, I'm sick today so if I say something wrong..." ^-__-^ I can't stand this guy... I can only hope he gets hit by a car or something before we have to present and then we won't be able to do our project.

[/rant]

Aizmov
11-08-2007, 08:59 AM
I like group projects when the work is well distributed and you don't end up with a bunch of lazy bums, sometimes I end up doing all the work myself, I only remember one time I had 3 projects at the same time that I slacked off one of them and left the other team member to do it.

Khanxay
11-08-2007, 09:05 AM
Groups usually slow my work down. And usually if I work in a group, I end as a tyrant telling everybody else what to do.

Aki no iko
11-08-2007, 01:06 PM
I love them! Well, depends on what we're doing and who I'm doing it with. I think it's a time to socialize and get to know people along with doing greater good to the world =]

gyakusetsu
11-16-2007, 04:47 AM
I hate group projects...the project can fall due to one persons laziness or lack of ability. I would rather succeed or fail on my own

Famahama
11-16-2007, 05:03 AM
Groups usually slow my work down. And usually if I work in a group, I end as a tyrant telling everybody else what to do.
exactly.
though, i only got a group project twice in my life, it was both a horrible experience.

Camping: I get chosen as the leader of a mass horde (12 people) of young kids. probably, 11-14 years old. one of them is a slacker and a complainer of life. he pissed me off and soon, i went nuts. seriously. the others were alright, but they were so lazy, i had to help and set up 3 tents. in a total of 6 anyways. we got last place due to my anger at that time and our team's lack of helping each other.

School Project:
free project of 4 people. all of the same age, and most were smarter than me in that subject. But guess what, no one even bothered till it was 2 days till handing over the project. So, i had to make it. my mother helped a LOT! She helped so much it was annoying. it didnt look good, but we still got our project displayed against the other 6 teams.

I work alone. until i get nuts and ask people for help.

excuse my anger >.>;;

konekotaku69
11-16-2007, 05:26 AM
ugh...
group projects

you know i m soooo used to gettin straight As
but now
i hav a couple Bs
thats not so bad....but hey my grade stilll dropped

at least its not like in 6th grade
i had to do this project where i had a project partner
it was in social studies
my best class
but my grade dropped down to a C
just because me lazy partner didn't care :banghead:

now i hav to hav a a permenant science partner
she's nice and all
but i also seem to be able to a lot of the work

oh here's another story
if u read my blog u would read somethin bout my least fave person in the world
i named her teki (nough said)
we were once supposed to be partners in a child developement class
well she hates kids buts she wants striaght As
she WAS SOOO bossy
she made me come in for lunch like every day
she critizised me answers
and laughed at things that were serious
she kept sayin children should be slapped when bad
i hated her so much
we ended up gettin an A
but teki didn't learn anythin
and neither did I
i was goin to use my skills to be a better babysitter
she just wanted a cake class
now i know nothin and i still hav to deal with her!!!

uhg...
group projects r my nightmare

.Lovebeat
11-16-2007, 06:26 AM
It depends on who I work with... I mean, it's possible to work with some people while it's impossible to work with others. When I work with my friends I will enjoy it way more than if I'd work with someone I never talk to.

I sometimes like working in pairs, but not bigger groups as some might take too much space, if you know what I mean, while some are just silent and sit and read in a corner.

dragon_nataku
11-16-2007, 05:04 PM
Wow, this thread is still alive? *pokes it with a stick to make sure it's not undead*

Anyway, while preparation for our group project was rather annoying cause my partners still lack the ability to read basic hiragana correctly, our actual presentation went decently. The class idiot did mess up a bit while reading, but it wasn't too bad. I was pleasantly surprised, when I wasn't freaking out due to the fact that we were presenting our script in front of the entire class (I freeze up and start shaking when I have to get up in front of people and do things, blah).

Regardless, I still would rather not do any group projects ever again.

Tsuna Kadiri
11-16-2007, 06:44 PM
It all depends on what the project is about and who you get paired with. No one wants to get paired with the kid that never does their work and leeches off everyone else. But, getting paired with the smartest kid in a class that you might be not so great at can really help you understand what you're learning better.

Gizoku
11-16-2007, 11:51 PM
Depends on the people. If I know they'll pull their own weight, then I dont mind. But if it ends up being a bunch of lazy bums then I dont like it.
Im also very inverted when it comes to group projects, but I do fine.

Konata Izumi
11-17-2007, 02:35 AM
I enjoy group projects, well, maybe it DOES depend on the people you're working with, but most of the time, my group projects go very well.

♥Ichigo♥
11-17-2007, 06:13 AM
>.< i hate them! because i'm really shy, i can't work with people proplerly, and I do better with just me deciding what to do since i can't say no. but thne nothing gets done i suppose, because i can't organise myself either. >.>

tishtashpoe
01-02-2008, 02:53 AM
I am one who likes to work alone. I hate working with those I don't really know or those who I do not like. If I am with mates, it's better coz we can have fun ^^

███
01-02-2008, 04:46 PM
I totally agree, I am an A grade student and I have done all my group projects myself. When someone I am working with actually decides to put in their part, they ruin the project. Most people just say, let Blasphemous Feind do it, we will get an A that way.

Antares
01-02-2008, 05:03 PM
I prefer to work alone, but I can manage working with other people. I always take the lead of the group and end up doing things my way.

Magisha
01-02-2008, 05:06 PM
I HATE GROUP PROJECTS!!!!

Even when we get to choose our groups, all my friends make me do all the work. It annoys me so much, sometimes I feel like crying, because I did all my part and the others didn't do anything, so it may mean a fail for us. . . T____T

I especially hate all the idea conflicts. One person wants to do this, the other wants to do that. . . I don't never know how we're going to decide on one topic. . . =(

One time, we had this poster project and we couldn't choose our group, but I ended up in a pretty decent group. Everyone did do their part, it was just that it wasn't done in the expectation standard. We ended up getting a C+. . . Never happened to me, ever. . . I was, "Oh gosh. . ." but the teacher told me that she knew what part I did, and I did a very good job, so I didn't have to worry about it. . .

I guess, from this day on, I just laugh off that memory. And when ever I get a bad mark, I just laugh it off. . . Even, if it sounds like I'm crying inside. . . xD

Hahahaha. . . -___-;;

jewel2sparkle
01-02-2008, 05:08 PM
I hate group projects. I never actually get to convey my fabulous ideas into project and the project will suck.

Elphaba
01-02-2008, 07:44 PM
i only like group projects if i am working with people who are nice to me or my friends.
it seems harder to do a group project to much planing of what people are going to do
when you are by yourself you just start doing it.

Acnologia
01-02-2008, 07:47 PM
I like working in groups because I get to be with people and get to know them. Also, theres people there to help you if you get stuck. But I need to stop being dependent.

blackcatme
01-04-2008, 07:19 AM
i like a lot those group projects (except the projects at the english class, i'm not good at that, because i'm from romania)
and you don't work alone, you don't make all the job by yourself, you Share the pain, that's the good thing :p

Daenerys
01-04-2008, 02:36 PM
True story.

Everytime I had a group project I got out of it. I either got my way and got to pick my own group, do it all by myself, or not do it at all and get another assignment.

Kinda the perks of all the teachers knowing you 1. Work better on your own 2. Dispise the entire student body and... 3. Usually get in fights.

Man, I was a little trouble maker.

Future_Defense
01-04-2008, 04:15 PM
I do not enjoy group projects. My OCPD forces me to do everything. If I don't, I freak out.

Karin Maaka
01-05-2008, 12:28 PM
i only like them when i am with friends and when every body does some work
there is always one person who does nothing.

heather0689
01-05-2008, 12:31 PM
Don't you hate it when you ask everyone else in your group when they're free to work on the project, and there's never a day when EVERYONE can help?
There's always ONE person who has something better to do.

I cannot stand group projects.