PDA

View Full Version : Anime characters names related wiht vegtables and fruits

animering
11-07-2007, 11:18 AM
Ok, whats up with alot of characters names related with fruits and vegtables like in DBZ(dragon ball z) vegeta (vegtable)

Metronome
11-07-2007, 11:26 AM
negi = onion kekeke i'm sure baka pink will be here to back that up soon enough =]. But I don't know what's up with it the the names still sound cool right ~de arimasuka? So I don't see what the problem is =p

LiLi.
11-07-2007, 11:38 AM
Ichigo (Bleach) (Tokyo Mew Mew) = Strawberry

animering
11-07-2007, 11:46 AM
Lol true the names still do sound cool lol

Metronome
11-07-2007, 12:16 PM
Exactly...wish I could have a kewl name hah but it's not enough to have one you actually have to be able to pull it off as well =3 like if your name Brandon or something but you looked like a Steve then that's no good desho desho?

TKTwilight
11-07-2007, 12:30 PM
Yeah, I got a Question... Why would someone name their kid Ichigo (strawberry)?

Metronome
11-07-2007, 01:47 PM
you dont want to sound delicious????

TheAsterisk!
11-07-2007, 01:56 PM
In Dragonball, names are merely more chances for jokes.
In Dragonball (Z), most of the (manga) characters are named after food of any kind. For some reason, all the saiyans are named after vegetables, and most henchmen are named after fruit. King Piccolo and his lackeys were all named after instruments.

Most other places, it's done because of some bizarre idea that it's cute.

Eris
11-07-2007, 02:00 PM
It is an initiative by the Japanese government to introduce subliminal messages into cartoons to get kids to eat more vegetables.

Jose
11-07-2007, 02:01 PM
inchigo mean stawberry in jap but i is not a veggie so idk

Yuuki Kurosu
11-07-2007, 03:06 PM
Reatsu ( sp? ) But in America they just say " Lettuce " it is from Tokyo Mew Mew

dragon_nataku
11-07-2007, 03:44 PM
Yes, there's also Mint and Zakuro (pomegranate) from Tokyo Mew Mew. Oh, and Pudding (the monkey girl).

And yeah, to expand on what Asterisk said, Raditz => Raddish, Kakarott => Carrot, Brolly => Broccoli (I think... at least someone calls him Broccoli at one point in one of the movies...). Oh, and Gohan means rice/meal in Japanese, and Pan == bread in Japanese and Spanish. Those are the only ones I remember at the moment. Haven't read/watched anything Dragonball-related in a long long time. Oh, also, Bulma's family is named after underwear (Bulma => Bloomers, Trunks (obvious), Bra (also obvious), and their last name, Briefs (yet again, obvious)).

Manhattan_Project_2000
11-07-2007, 04:47 PM
It's popular to give characters in childrens manga punny names.

Reniti
11-07-2007, 04:55 PM
It's probably like in America how some people would name their girl Blossom.

Yuuki Kurosu
11-07-2007, 05:16 PM
@TK: I think Ichigo is a kawaii name ^.^
Yeah, Ichigo-san is right, people in Japan have their way of names as we do ours. We name people things like Rose and Blossom. And they name people in Japan Strawberry ( Ichigo ) and Cherry Blossom ( Sakura ) but in their own language. It could be somewhat of a traditional thing as well in some circumstances, you know?

~Sakura-chan <3

Sanosuke23
11-07-2007, 05:26 PM
You are all overlooking one important idea:

It is a cheap and easy way to give someone a unique name. Toriyama at least had themes going, but I can almost guarantee its because he has trouble with naming and keeping track of so many characters, and did it to organize them.

Oh, and Freeza = Freezer, and his henchmen were all named after perishables I believe. I know the Ginyu Force was all dairy products, at least.

Gizoku
11-07-2007, 05:30 PM
:p Mebe because of character traits or personality, for example, Ichigos [Bleach] hair is orange...>.> Now that you mention it...his hair isnt really the color of a strawberry. But I guess the color thing is off...so says my Japanese teacher, because Aoi [blue] is supposedly more of a green than blue O_O

╬Karami Mew~Meow
11-07-2007, 06:02 PM
lol weird ... but funny ..but kool! XD
Yeah, just like what saki-chan said, lettuce, from tokyo mew mew ..