PDA

View Full Version : If childrens' are our future.........

blackrosetwilight
10-26-2007, 01:25 PM
.........we dont got much of future:( . Recently on the news several middle school students were caught carring guns to school and threatning several of their classmates, also there was a shooting at a football game at another middle school. What the hell is going on with these kids these day man? I remember the only thing me and my friends smuggle to school were our gameboys, pokemon cards and the occasional nudy mags. Now we have kids smuggling guns and drugs........children's these day's have come a long way since my day's. What do you people think has children's change for the worst? Oh and have you guys' seen Kid Nation.....yeah I doubt most of you guys' had, but if you have seen it then you know Im right partially right.

-Batman-
10-26-2007, 01:30 PM
.........we dont got much of future:( . Recently on the news several middle school students were caught carring guns to school and threatning several of their classmates, also there was a shooting at a football game at another middle school.

This isn't something new. This kind of crap has been going on since we were kids, and to a lesser extent, when our parents were kids. You just don't remember hearing about these instances when YOU were a kid, because you were just that, a kid.
You either didn't watch the news because you were off in imagination land, or your parents sheltered you from these things to protect your fragile mind.

Ωmega
10-26-2007, 01:31 PM
Its used to be about My Pretty Pony, Care Bears, Starwberry Shortcake, Power Rangers and Transformers.

Now its about Brats, stuck up Barbie, makeup, rap, "bling bling" kinda crap. Thats where it all went wrong. Instead of wholesome music, shows and toys, kids are being exposed to dolls who look like they work on the street and music that talks about women, guns, money, and 'bling'.

It amazes me to see 5 year old girls walking in tube tops and shorts that say "brat" on the behind of it.

Lady_Baneheart_Of_Blades
10-26-2007, 01:37 PM
oh man no need to swear! lol. Yes children has changed, but not for the worst. I don't know what children are thinking when carrying a gun in their pockets, probably madness overflowing in their tiny brains. Note tiny brains: doing to wrong thing gives them reign, it makes them feel good, man that's got to be crazy.

overwatch
10-26-2007, 01:45 PM
I think MaruDashi has got most of it.
Ever tried watching kids TV today? Granted many of us are older now, but the quality and intelligence of childrens TV has dropped to low standards - even once quality shows have dropped - blue peter!
And tiny brains or not - there is a world of difference between smuggling a slung shot into school and smuggling a gun into school - and the question always begs; where do they get acces to a gun? Is it from home, or are we dealing with the criminal element activly selling guns to youngsters?

blackrosetwilight
10-26-2007, 02:29 PM
This isn't something new. This kind of crap has been going on since we were kids, and to a lesser extent, when our parents were kids. You just don't remember hearing about these instances when YOU were a kid, because you were just that, a kid.
You either didn't watch the news because you were off in imagination land, or your parents sheltered you from these things to protect your fragile mind.
Actually I whatched the news a lot when I was young and I know it not new. I only brought this up because this entire week there's been nothing but these incident's on the news. Im just saying it has increased since the past decade.

Finvarra
10-26-2007, 02:47 PM
Well, as far as I herd,
lets just say my friends are complete morons about drugs.

Nowadays, there sniffin some Pixii Stixs.[Sp?]
I know its not a drug, but thats gatta do something to you.

Perpetual Specter
10-26-2007, 05:21 PM
I agree with Maru 100%.Also,my best friend who is still in middle school tells me every time I talk to him that the kids there have like no respect at all for any authority now(fortunately I know my best friend personally and he's much more matured than that).I mean when you get out in the real world with a job you're going to need to have respect for your bosses,managers,and such.

Inamorata
10-26-2007, 05:33 PM
Its used to be about My Pretty Pony, Care Bears, Starwberry Shortcake, Power Rangers and Transformers.

Now its about Brats, stuck up Barbie, makeup, rap, "bling bling" kinda crap. Thats where it all went wrong. Instead of wholesome music, shows and toys, kids are being exposed to dolls who look like they work on the street and music that talks about women, guns, money, and 'bling'.

It amazes me to see 5 year old girls walking in tube tops and shorts that say "brat" on the behind of it.

I agreeeeee. I hate the fact my baby girl has to grow up around that crap. I know I cant make her like what I like. All I know is I'm going to be involved and show her all of the wonders of the world. Like the ocean, exploring nature, drawing cute anime characters, and more.... when she is older and has to make decisions on her own all I can do is hope she'll make the right choices and follow her heart. I truely wish that all parents felt as I do.

overwatch
10-26-2007, 05:36 PM
True point naruto - I think the "spare the whip spoil the child" (its somthing like that) is starting to show true. Not that I believe in beating children, but places such as schools have no ability to control disobedient students. We are a society where we are teaching our children that they do not have to take responcibility for their own actions, and this is going to hit society harder and harder each year until we learn. Even where I attended (private school) there is little a teacher can do, and what little there is is reduceing each year. For example, things such as making a student stand in the corner or writing lines are not allowed anymore because they are considered derisory to the student. That is the concept of a punishment, something bad that makes someone less inlcinded to be disobedient. (ps speaking from the UK here)

Kawairashii hikari
10-26-2007, 05:36 PM
Ever tried watching kids TV today? Granted many of us are older now, but the quality and intelligence of childrens TV has dropped to low standards - even once quality shows have dropped - blue peter!
And tiny brains or not - there is a world of difference between smuggling a slung shot into school and smuggling a gun into school - and the question always begs; where do they get acces to a gun? Is it from home, or are we dealing with the criminal element activly selling guns to youngsters?
yea i believe Maru did get most of it, as other people have also stated... but i understand what you mean totally as far as the tv thing goes...i mean these shows i mean they have dropped their standards from when i was little! I mean the shows are just... horrible.
As for the gun thing... many people have used those back when i was in Pre-K and they were in the six, they just kept it quite from people, or so they thought...
But as for where the kids got it from, most likely they got it from home, some fathers across the US not most but some, possess guns in their homes for protection, and then their child starts to mess with it while they aren't home since they told them they couldn't touch it, which makes them want to touch it even more. Then boom! they have it in their bookbag in school the next day threatening some bully that messed with them the other day.

But as for the future and the kids, i think the intelligence as a whole has gone down some from when my parentys were younger, and frankly i'm a little scared of how things will turn out in the future. since everyone is decidding that they want to be rappers, singers and stuff. I mean where is that going to get the rest of the world?? I hardly know of anyone who wants to be a doctor or a dentist...I'm just worried about my future.

overwatch
10-26-2007, 05:42 PM
But as for the future and the kids, i think the intelligence as a whole has gone down some from when my parentys were younger, and frankly i'm a little scared of how things will turn out in the future. since everyone is decidding that they want to be rappers, singers and stuff. I mean where is that going to get the rest of the world?? I hardly know of anyone who wants to be a doctor or a dentist...I'm just worried about my future.

Excelent comment, where are out role models for life? Once people wanted to be doctors and nurses, firemen and police men - now all we are shown all that is glorified is rappers, popstars and celebraties, people who have come from nothing to millions in a matter of years. They are the exception to the normal, yet they are protrayed by the media as the normal, as what each and every one of use should aspire to be; a poor message to send to our children.
On the education front, once it was about education, now it is about grades, tables and image - of schools and of nations. Most teachers today cannot teach a subject, they teach a sylabus, which is often full of inaccuracies or halftruths, but must be followed as if you do not answer with thier answers, you will not get the grade

The Dom
10-26-2007, 05:47 PM
I think MaruDashi has got most of it.
Exactly

Rising Star
10-26-2007, 05:51 PM
Well I think it's most probably the way they we're brought up meaning (the parents and possibly the people around them) parenthood has changed through out the years (much stricter then I believe) and as it's changed, kids have changed, parents are one of the biggest influences to a child, the way a family works is the way the child is gonna act, if your parents are posh it's most likely their son/daughter will be brought up in the posh manner, if the family is some what violent and a bunch of slags the son/daughter will be brought up in the violent way and will act that way.
but not all families are like that you could blame the kid's friends who are just a bigger influence to them as their parents.... if a friend thinks drugs and weapons are cool it's most likely your child will think it's cool.

but yes models are always a possibility! :)
you can't really tell what goes on inside a persons head really

PanzerJager
10-26-2007, 05:54 PM
kids these days are just trying to act grown up.. i know highschool kids that think they are in gangs just because they get together and drive around in cars.. makes me want to get out my gun and shoot out their tires because they are going like 80mph at 1 in the morning and making a huge amount of noise.. :wacko:

International 4-8818
10-26-2007, 06:05 PM
Uh you do understand that this has been happening for centuries right? Kids around the world do it. It is bad, but it is not new.

overwatch
10-26-2007, 06:11 PM
However international, you have to consider that in differnet ages and societies, the effect and impact was often very differnet. Consider guns; they change things in that they give more power to an indevidual than any other weapon invented in the past. Suddenly the child is a danger to all those around him; further he is encouraged to take this view by both his icons and contemparies. What will be the result of this view - mad and random shootings - are these the same as fights with a sword, or a shot with a bow? No, because a gun shot needs little more than a finger pull.

Daenerys
10-26-2007, 06:49 PM
You have to realize that those kinds of children ARENT our future. Most kids who do things like that at a young age, typically end up in prison, or at McDonalds.

The children who are our future, are the ones who are getting good grades, who want to be preesnt, or teachers. I dont think several kids out of the several million that are in the US, are really going to completely corrupt the future generations. That's like 5 towns out of BILLIONS in the united states. It's a big world out there, kid.

overwatch
10-26-2007, 06:52 PM
However, if the quality of teaching reduces and obedience (thus ability to learn) is lost then there will be far fewer doctors and teachers - and of lower quality.

CrimsonMoon
10-26-2007, 11:26 PM
I used to watch My Little Pony and Care Bears when I was little. Now, I can't believe there are shows like Happy Tree Friends (very violent) and South Park (I watch it sometimes and I don't think it's for kids). Even kids' shows are getting violent. Drugs and weapons are obtainable. It's a corruption. However, like Dorian said, they won't end up anywhere. Well, some become celebrities though. O.o

Perpetual Specter
10-26-2007, 11:29 PM
kids these days are just trying to act grown up.. i know highschool kids that think they are in gangs just because they get together and drive around in cars.. makes me want to get out my gun and shoot out their tires because they are going like 80mph at 1 in the morning and making a huge amount of noise.. :wacko:

I hate that.Last year two people at my school got killed in a head-on collision while racing down a road at way high speeds,but have they learned anything here?No,they still drive idiotically and take these same risks this year here to.

KuroTan
10-26-2007, 11:37 PM

I actually saw one that said dog of a female persuasion on her shirt in the mall. And a micro mini to boot. Freaks me out these kinds of things. And she was with her parents. Though I'd add that I've only seen this types of things first hand in the US. So it might be more of a culture shock than anything is what I'm feeling.

*edit*

I don't think South Park was ever geared for a younger audience. It has a Mature rating.

Manhattan_Project_2000
10-26-2007, 11:40 PM
Protip: Sensationalist Media is Sensationalist.

fire_fox
10-27-2007, 02:06 AM
sy too say but this is been going on for a while because in my high school i see ppl bring dip,cigg,drug,illegal drug on to campus but theres nothing really new.

but they get cought any way but if they want to throw there live away then go ahead im not stoping them

Thingle
10-27-2007, 03:15 AM
Hey, if you're a parent and you blame Pop culture, isn't it about time to spend time with the kids instead of complaining about how crappy they are? Respect is earned by good parents. Those who neglect their kids must expect none.

zyronet
10-27-2007, 05:04 AM
Hey, if you're a parent and you blame Pop culture, isn't it about time to spend time with the kids instead of complaining about how crappy they are? Respect is earned by good parents. Those who neglect their kids must expect none.

I do agree with that point. But its not only about the parents, its also about what kind of environment the children are being shown of or living in.

Interpreter
10-27-2007, 05:10 AM
Well, all that said, balance is most important. Parents and children should learn to ease with each other and not just force their own beliefs on the other.

CrimsonMoon
10-27-2007, 08:13 AM
@baka_black: True, but that is just a label. The producer won't know if his audience are kids, or he doesn't care at all. Kids are attracted to cartoons naturally (or at least I did). In the end, it's up to their environment and how they're brought up.

blackrosetwilight
10-27-2007, 10:23 AM
sy too say but this is been going on for a while because in my high school i see ppl bring dip,cigg,drug,illegal drug on to campus but theres nothing really new.

but they get cought any way but if they want to throw there live away then go ahead im not stoping them

Well I already know that it quite common in high school since I had several friends died and gone to prison and many more got pregnet after joining with the wrong crowd, but I'm talking about middle school students. Children these day's are being exposed too early to these type of things and also I think the next genoration is getting dumber because one of my friends little sister GPA is that of 1.6 and she happens to rank number 50 out 369 students. Luckily for me my little brother, who goes to the same school ranked in the top 20 with a GPA of 3.4

niKopol
10-27-2007, 09:38 PM
Thats the problem. No honor, no morals. We have a future, it is ever so declining, though technology has increase, we humans steping ever so backwards. We are nothing more than cavemen with knowledge, know that the pursuit of knowledge is not as interesting as the pursuit of being social. Those that can't fit in into this field where most of us like to be or rather where a few aren't welcome. They regress into a more natural state, anger or rage, rather than being understanding of such a thing. As smart men and as dumb men we don't like things that are different, instead of thinking of the consiquences or just accepting things as they are. We destroy things which we don't like. Biased, sexist, feminist, racist, sound familar... Hopefully some educated man can make understanding out of my jumbled thoughts... though I barely scratch the topic at hand. I hardly ever spent time with my parent. Maybe its the decline of people willing to accept the way life is and still follow the rules.

Kariya The Wind
10-27-2007, 09:43 PM

That isn't something to be proud of.

emoswordie
10-27-2007, 09:49 PM
SOme OF ChilDrens Now Smoke ANd Drink BEerS.. and ALso Some OF theM Use OF Drugs.. THEy Do IT Cauz oF PRoBleMs And Lonelyness In LIfe..
IF PArents Have THeir Finanial aND Moral support ChiLdreNS WiLL BE SuccesFull and HAppy In their Lives. But Also SOme OF Them eveN thou THEy HAve THE Parents Support They ALso Use Drugs and they Smoke and Drink y?
I think Cauz OF Love PRoblEMs OR Influence OF SomE Bad PEople..:banghead:

Manhattan_Project_2000
10-27-2007, 09:59 PM
Thats the problem. No honor, no morals. We have a future, it is ever so declining, though technology has increase, we humans steping ever so backwards. We are nothing more than cavemen with knowledge, know that the pursuit of knowledge is not as interesting as the pursuit of being social. Those that can't fit in into this field where most of us like to be or rather where a few aren't welcome. They regress into a more natural state, anger or rage, rather than being understanding of such a thing. As smart men and as dumb men we don't like things that are different, instead of thinking of the consiquences or just accepting things as they are. We destroy things which we don't like. Biased, sexist, feminist, racist, sound familar... Hopefully some educated man can make understanding out of my jumbled thoughts... though I barely scratch the topic at hand. I hardly ever spent time with my parent. Maybe its the decline of people willing to accept the way life is and still follow the rules.
http://www.animeforum.com/image/107564723f6f922008.jpg

As a student of history (not the same as a history student, by the way), I'd say that Human Nature is the same now as it was any point in recorded history. Instead, what I have noticed is that people have always seemed to have the view that in the past it was more civilized, and everyone sat around eating bon-bons and sipping tea. When you look even in to the recent past, you'll see what a joke this way of thinking is. People always have scrambled over each other like a herd of swine, and any pig not smart enough to avoid the bottom gets trampled. Not enough people see humanity as a condition to be overcome, I guess.

niKopol
10-27-2007, 10:13 PM
I didn't think of that, as a child the world is a beautiful and perfect thing as you get older you notice things aren't so perfect, so its only natural to think things were better in the past.
Your saying no matter how much time passes, nothing changes except background and the tools. As in the time of Jesus (if you so choose to believe it) he was killed for being different. Even before then people were stoned(not the state of being) for not being part of the masses. Of course there were a few who fought back and maybe even started their own groups. Thats funny people hate to be alone but yet they hate differences.

Manhattan_Project_2000
10-27-2007, 10:23 PM
Your saying no matter how much time passes, nothing changes except background and the tools.No, I'm saying that nothing has changed, not that nothing can change. However, [most] people don't want to change. And from the view of an individual, it can make a lot of sense not to. People who steal food from their neighbors during a famine tend to outlive those that don't.

niKopol
10-27-2007, 10:27 PM
Survival of the fittest... not the one with morals or values. And so the world fell to evil men who care about one thing only, themselves. And if your not the fittest you follow the one who is.

blackrosetwilight
10-29-2007, 06:55 PM
"BREAKING NEWS" as of last Sunday on CNN' some where in Portland, Main education officials have decided to allow schools' to give birth control pills to female student due to an explosion of middle school pregnacy. Well that shocked me even more than the guns' and drugs' thing of last week's. It would seem things are starting to go down hill faster then I expected. what dont believe me here's the link.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/HEALTH/10/18/middleschool.contraception.ap/index.html

Manhattan_Project_2000
10-29-2007, 10:29 PM
"BREAKING NEWS" as of last Sunday on CNN' some where in Portland, Main education officials have decided to allow schools' to give birth control pills to female student due to an explosion of middle school pregnacy. Well that shocked me even more than the guns' and drugs' thing of last week's. It would seem things are starting to go down hill faster then I expected. what dont believe me here's the link.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/HEALTH/10/18/middleschool.contraception.ap/index.html

Good. Why Middle Schoolers need to get pregnant anymore is beyond me.

Shirai Ryu Scorpion
10-29-2007, 10:52 PM
A topic that will be never answered.

The solution clarely facts, that it's there choice it's there road of life, or

death situations. My options however must be, child neglect, and child abuse.

Or there's role models out there like celebrity's, rock stars (etc). That they want to follow, it's like there icon. And yes, even in adults as they were

young to, they wanted to be someone who is not. Like being cool, tuff, (etc.), now look at some video games like Halo, Mortal Kombat (excessively violent) and parents, let there kids (like maybe 5 or 6) PLAY the game. Why play a video game that young? They should be learning and enriching there minds in school. THAT'S IS WHY IT'S RATED "M" PEOPLE!! C'mon!

Even that behavior issues have changed as well, as like excessively violent, anger issues, and or murder (Which it has not been changed since the Earth was created).

The point is in here, it's the way how children behave. And how YOU raise your children.

Wio
10-30-2007, 05:03 AM
Good. Why Middle Schoolers need to get pregnant anymore is beyond me.
Telling middleschoolers that sex is the 'expected' thing for them to do and then expecting them to be responsible enough to use birth control is beyond me.

genericusername2
10-30-2007, 07:28 AM
I just think it's funny how badly people crave for attention on a forum.

rubberbabybuggybumper
10-30-2007, 08:59 AM
It seems to me that no one is teaching kids about anything anymore. Like, with the birth control. It should be the parents responsibility to be teaching their kids about that sort of thing and to decide for them whether or not they can have sex at that young an age. And to give out birth control in a middle school is a bad idea. The reason middle schools don't work is because they're throwing kids who have just hit puberty all in the same school and expect them to be responsible young men and women. And then to throw birth control into the mix, I think is a recipe for disaster.

But going back to the teaching concept, I heard recently on CNN that 1700 high schools in the country are being dubbed as "Drop-out Factories" because of their incredible high dropout rate. The education system in this country is broken. Now this leads me to violence in schools. The high school I went to couldn't care less about security. We had two metal detectors in the school and one of them was usually broken. And whenever there was a backup, the security guards would just let kids through, going around the metal detectors. Luckily, there has never been a major violent act at that high school, to my knowledge. To me it's funny because when I went there, we were the highest ranked public high school in the city of Philadelphia and we couldn't afford decent security.

Speaking of Philadelphia, the murder rates here are depressing. Last year there were over 400 murders, the highest of any city in the country. This year. I forget what the number is but we're on pace to eclipse that. What happened? remember like five years ago, we had like a hundred murders. Society has changed and It's scary to think where it's going.

King_Shadow89
10-30-2007, 09:11 AM

Well as a guy it was yugioh cards, pokemon card,and magic cards. Now we got these games that are promoting crime and what not.
I have to agree with you all because this is the most educational thread that I have came across.

niKopol
10-30-2007, 10:48 AM
It seems to me that no one is teaching kids about anything anymore.

This was said by our parents, their parents and the parents before them.

Well as a guy it was yugioh cards, pokemon card,and magic cards. Now we got these games that are promoting crime and what not.

Lest you forget some people say those are devil cards. Heck, I couldn't play D&D at school, they said something about pentagrams and such and tried to make me look like the badguy. I simply stated "If it was called fairies and clouds, you wouldn't give a crap(replaced instead of expletitive)." in my defense.

And the crime comment... no its not the failing economy... not the low living standards of today... its video games, yeah, blame it on something that entertains us, that actually keeps us busy, so that we don't think. I swear... good job there Jack Thompson, did you think all that up by yourself.

realms89
10-30-2007, 04:44 PM
then were doomed

Manhattan_Project_2000
10-30-2007, 06:34 PM
Telling middleschoolers that sex is the 'expected' thing for them to do and then expecting them to be responsible enough to use birth control is beyond me.
It is stupidly naive to think that the genetic urge to procreate young will be abolished a precious few generations after surgery and other innovations have raised the life expectancy. Especially since we are talking about teenagers here. Its better to teach them safe sex then abstinence, and better to put them on the pill then to trust them to use rubbers.
Personally, I am a fan of having my cake and eating it too - I would be much more enthused if they were giving students birth control shots without their knowledge, but this is good too.

Acnologia
10-30-2007, 07:15 PM
You know, nothing ever surprises me anymore.

Inamorata
11-01-2007, 04:04 AM
I seriously recommend a movie called Idiocracy. Its almost like looking into the future when you watch this movie. And its funny... yet sad. :) Well worth watching. Trust me!

Memento Mori
11-01-2007, 07:22 AM
You have to realize that those kinds of children ARENT our future. Most kids who do things like that at a young age, typically end up in prison, or at McDonalds.

The children who are our future, are the ones who are getting good grades, who want to be preesnt, or teachers. I dont think several kids out of the several million that are in the US, are really going to completely corrupt the future generations. That's like 5 towns out of BILLIONS in the united states. It's a big world out there, kid.

I totally agree with Dorian. You can't say that children that look like they are going to jail as our future. They are the ones who will replace killers in the future. Don't expect them to get good jobs that change the world. Kids who threaten to kill you probably don't get good grades. They'll only end up like my aunt. Lazy, boring, fat, and she doesn't have a job.

Also, this is nothing new like most people are saying. If you look back, school shootings have been going on for a while. Now, the big ones are recent, like Virginia Tech. But it's not like little ones haven't happened every once in a while.

TheAsterisk!
11-01-2007, 12:53 PM
Every generation thinks that the one following it (and preceding it, too) is composed of dangerous deviants (or, for the oldies, "squares"). Why do you think they don't communicate well? Why else would ther D.A.R.E. program be so...uneffective? Back in the days of our grandparents' youth (think "the greatest generation"), there weren't kids with guns too often, sure...but there were still gangs. Back then they'd settle crap with knife fights, a worse way to go in my opinion. They only straightened up when they were sent off to war.
There was all kinds of lunacy in the 60's and 70's (when most of our parents grew up), even up to open cries for rebellion against the federal government. They had plenty of violent experiences.
Each generation thinks that somehow they're unique, exceptional in some way. This is only because each generation can only see itself in full view. It is the only generation they can truly know.
I found a bullet in my gradeschool when I was in the 1st grade (and, skittish as I am, I turned it in). In my 7th grade there was a bomb threat levied against the school (turns out it had no merit). THERE IS NOTHING NEW ABOUT THESE EVENTS. THE MEDIA IS MAKING UP FOR A LACK OF SIGNIFICANT NEWS, AND YOU ARE NOW MORE AWARE OF YOUR SURROUNDINGS. It really is that simple.

Eris
11-01-2007, 01:07 PM

Or the dinner table (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soylent_green)!

This really isn't much of an issue, since no place but Svalbard (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Svalbard) will be inhabitable the next century, courtesy of CO2.