PDA

View Full Version : Japanese fonts for MSWindows XP?

VraieEsprit
10-24-2007, 02:40 PM
I have JIS Kanji IME on my PC and I can type in it fine and all - but I just wondered if it was possible to have various font styles for japanese script? I imagine that somehow it must be, but if so, I don't know how to go about finding or installing it so that I can write in kanji in a different style from the basic IME font.

Does anyone know if this is possible or if not?

Thanks in advance...

Vraie

akasnipa
10-24-2007, 03:05 PM
HIHI, i rekon there should be, im chinese and i have got various chinese characters fonts installed try lookin harder or ask any japs frds of urs.....good luck

MistressPookyChan
10-24-2007, 08:51 PM
I did a google search. Let me know which are good and I'll add them to the websites sticky

http://www.wazu.jp/gallery/Fonts_Japanese.html
http://www2.wind.ne.jp/maniackers/designfont.html (OT: used to live at the place this font is named after!!:http://www2.wind.ne.jp/maniackers/ikaho.html)

VraieEsprit
10-25-2007, 01:02 PM
Awesome, thank you :)

I've bookmarked them and will post again re: them when I've some PC time :)

Vraie

Unknownymous
10-25-2007, 01:16 PM
I tried a bunch from the first link that I liked from the thumbnails, and some of them aren't very practical (especially the handwriting ones). They're almost useless when your fonts are small, because they kinda blur or become otherwise unreadable even at like 14 pt (can't tell the difference between 慢 and 情 for example). More useful if you're going to do some kind of design thing I guess, like pretty Japanese font for an image, book cover or whatever, but not for everyday use.

I really like the Epson fonts (from the first link) though. The bold ones suffer from the same problem, but the thinner styles are pretty nice. I'm using them now on my browser and it's pretty cute.

MistressPookyChan
10-26-2007, 07:44 AM
what can i say? I'm a CGer and like pretty fonts. ;)

SnakeLegend
10-27-2007, 03:04 PM
So you managed to get the characters working now?
I managed to get mine working.
It's just simple to work with.
Just reply back here when you need it.

VraieEsprit
10-27-2007, 03:11 PM
I've got them and installed them but my weird xp system doesn't seem to be recognising them. It took me a year to find the bit of installation it was missing to accept IME to begin with, so that may be why. Any tips? :S

I want them really for graphic/website purposes rather than ordinary text :)

Vraie

Unknownymous
10-28-2007, 04:33 AM
Hmm. Well re-installing Windows should fix it if it's broken. You don't have to format or anything, just fix the installation so you get the required parts. You can also install your IME properly from there. It'll also repair your Fonts folder if it's broken.

VraieEsprit
10-28-2007, 05:14 AM
Hmm. Well re-installing Windows should fix it if it's broken. You don't have to format or anything, just fix the installation so you get the required parts. You can also install your IME properly from there. It'll also repair your Fonts folder if it's broken.

Mmm...if only it was so simple...:) LOL :)

My PC's installation is legit, but the nature of it is that it has about six thousand different drivers and codecs and god knows what else that have to be installed before I can get windows to run correctly (something to do with the type of PC it is I think). Not all of those installations run automatically so I have to dig them out one by one manually - the IME compatibility was one of the ones I missed the last time around and it took a while to find it :S

My PC also only fixes faults in windows by a full reformat from the XP disc and then the codecs/drivers/whatever else. It doesn't respond to partial ones or gap-filling ones. :S I've tried that in the past :S

I guess I'll just persevere in fiddling with it. They should show up once installed...so I'll just have to go through everything and tweak till they do...

Thanks anyhow :)

Vraie

MistressPookyChan
10-28-2007, 09:29 AM
It MIGHT be an OS thing. Hard for me to test it because I have a Japanese OS. If anyone gets these fonts to work on a US/English OS, let us know.

Unknownymous
10-28-2007, 01:12 PM
@deso23

Uhh first off, don't quadruple post.

Second, speak either English or Japanese in this forum. There are a lot of Filipinos here MAYBE, but as a courtesy to those who don't speak the language, speak the proper language.

Third, stay on topic and don't talk about personal crap that nobody really cares about. I bet not even you care about what the heck you just typed.

(P.S.: Ah, talaga? Ano gusto mo, medal?)

It MIGHT be an OS thing. Hard for me to test it because I have a Japanese OS. If anyone gets these fonts to work on a US/English OS, let us know.
I'm on English Win XP Pro SP2 and the fonts all work fine. No errors even with installation, and no broken symbols or anything.

but the nature of it is that it has about six thousand different drivers and codecs and god knows what else that have to be installed before I can get windows to run correctly (something to do with the type of PC it is I think)
Sounds like you have an oldschool/barely compatible motherboard or some other system configuration. Normally XP is just install and use. It's probably unable to recognize some of your equipment.

My advice is to buy a new PC. :D Though you probably won't do it.