PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone understand this?

Tenchi_fan
10-24-2007, 01:41 PM
Okay I have always since the day I was born I have sucked at math.:banghead:
Sometimes I think I am math retarded (Not kidding) but anyway, I was wondering if any body on here understands linear equations.
I know there has to be someone who understands this on here, especially when there are some people on here that are in collage.
Here are some of the things I have to do:
LINEAR EQUATIONS

The length of a rectangle is 3 in. more than the width. The perimeter of the rectangle is 24 in.
<LI type=a>Define the variables. <LI type=a>Write the expression for the length in terms of the width.
Substitute what you know into the equation. Be sure you only have one variable.
What is the length of the rectangle?

The sum of three consecutive even integers is 114.
<LI type=a>Define a variable for the smallest integer. <LI type=a value=2>Define variables to represent the 2nd and 3rd integers.
Write an equation for the sum of the three consecutive even integers.
Solve the equation to find the three even integers.

In captivity, the average life span of a grizzly bear is 9 years more than that of a tiger. The sum of the two average life spans is 41 years. Find the average life span of a tiger in captivity.
<LI type=a>Define the variables. <LI type=a>Write the expression for the life span of a grizzly bear in terms of the life span of a tiger.
Write an equation for the sum of their life spans in term of one variable.
Solve the equation for the life span of a tiger.

George is 12 years older than Jeannie. The sum of their ages in 5 years will be 50. How old is Jeannie now?
<LI type=a>Define the variables. <LI type=a>Write an expression for the age of George in terms of Jeannie's age.
Write an equation for the sum of their ages in 5 years from now.
Solve the equation for the age of Jeannie now.

Mandy begins bicycling west at 20mph. Liz leaves from the same point 1 hour later bicycling west at 30mph. When will she catch up with Mandy?
Define the variables.
Make a chart.
distance=rate x time Rate Time Distance Mandy 20 t 20t lizLiz 3030 t-13030(t-1)(t-1)

<LI type=a value=3>Set the distances equal to one another (they travel the same distance) and solve the equation for t.
What does t represent?
So if anybody understands this, I would appreciate it if you could help me out, or show the answers to me instead.

overwatch
10-24-2007, 01:56 PM
Well this is not the sort of thing misc is here for, so this will probably get locked, plus getting people to do your prep for you is cheating. However I will show you how to go through equation 1 in a hope that it might help you understand how to solve the rest.

for number 1, firstly work out what different variables give you the perimeter of the rectangle. These would be the length and the width added together twice (to go round the whole outside). Thus you know that you have two different lengths, so assine them a letter each for the equation;
length = x
width = y

now, using the letters, work out the equation for the perimeter;
perimeter = length+length+width+with ;

thus x+x+y+y=perimeter

so this can be simplified to

2x+2y=perimeter.

now lets add the numbers that we know.
perimeter = 24
length (x) is equal to the width (y) plus 3 thus;
x = y+3

now put this information back into the original equation

2(y+3)+2y = 24

from there its multiply out the brackets

2y+6+2y = 24

and from there you can get the result of y

Also, if you find this hard, talk to your teacher about it, possibly see if you can get extra lessons. There is no point in people doing your prep for you. You will not learn and thus not understand, and when it comes to exams you will be worse off

Khanxay
10-24-2007, 02:03 PM
It's just Algebra. Not exactly hard stuff. Seems very much like the College Algebra work that people around my area keep asking me to help them on.

To answer the topic: Yes.

TheAsterisk!
10-24-2007, 02:27 PM
Okay I have always since the day I was born I have sucked at math.:banghead:
Sometimes I think I am math retarded (Not kidding) but anyway, I was wondering if any body on here understands linear equations.
I know there has to be someone who understands this on here, especially when there are some people on here that are in collage.
Here are some of the things I have to do:
LINEAR EQUATIONS
1) The length of a rectangle is 3 in. more than the width. The perimeter of the rectangle is 24 in.

<LI type=a>Define the variables. <LI type=a>Write the expression for the length in terms of the width.
Substitute what you know into the equation. Be sure you only have one variable.
What is the length of the rectangle?

2) The sum of three consecutive even integers is 114.

<LI type=a>Define a variable for the smallest integer. <LI type=a value=2>Define variables to represent the 2nd and 3rd integers.
Write an equation for the sum of the three consecutive even integers.
Solve the equation to find the three even integers.

3) In captivity, the average life span of a grizzly bear is 9 years more than that of a tiger. The sum of the two average life spans is 41 years. Find the average life span of a tiger in captivity.

<LI type=a>Define the variables. <LI type=a>Write the expression for the life span of a grizzly bear in terms of the life span of a tiger.
Write an equation for the sum of their life spans in term of one variable.
Solve the equation for the life span of a tiger.

4) George is 12 years older than Jeannie. The sum of their ages in 5 years will be 50. How old is Jeannie now?

<LI type=a>Define the variables. <LI type=a>Write an expression for the age of George in terms of Jeannie's age.
Write an equation for the sum of their ages in 5 years from now.
Solve the equation for the age of Jeannie now.

5) Mandy begins bicycling west at 20mph. Liz leaves from the same point 1 hour later bicycling west at 30mph. When will she catch up with Mandy?

Define the variables.
Make a chart.
distance=rate x time Rate Time Distance Mandy 20 t 20t lizLiz 3030 t-13030(t-1)(t-1)

<LI type=a value=3>Set the distances equal to one another (they travel the same distance) and solve the equation for t.
What does t represent?
So if anybody understands this, I would appreciate it if you could help me out, or show the answers to me instead.
FWAHAHA! I WILL DO IT!
1) L = W+3, perimeter means all sides added (a sum), so P = L+L+W+W
so P = 24 = 2L+2W
use substitution, as in L = W+3, so 2L = 2(W+3) = 2W+6. Put this in for the "2L" in the perimeter equation.
2W+6+2W = 24 = 4W+6
4W = 18
W = 18/4 = 9/2 or 4.5
Now Plug the known "W" into either expression. I'll use the first since it's easier.
L = W+3 = 4.5+3 = 7.5 or 15/2
L = 7.5, W = 4.5
2) Let n = the 1st of the three even integers. The second must be two more (to still be even), and so 2nd = n+2. The 3rd = n+2+2 = n+4 for the same reasons. We have as a given (assumption) that the three integers, when added, equal, 114, so we merely lay it out as such.
n+n+2+n+4 = 114 SIMPLIFY 3n+6 = 114
3n = 108
n = 108/3 = 36, so n+2 = 38, n+4 = 40.
36, 38, 40
3) B = T+9, B+T = 41
Use substitution again
T+9+T = 41 = 2T+9
2T = 32
T = 32/2 = 16
Plug the known (Tiger's lifespan) back in
B = T+9 = 16+9 = 25
B = 25, T = 16
4) G = J+12, (G+5)+(J+5) = 50 = G+J+10 -> G+J = 40
Use Substitution
G+J = 40 = J+12+J = 2J+12 = 40
2J = 28
J = 28/2 = 14
Plug the known into the old equation
G = J+12 = 14+12 = 26
G = 26, J = 14
5) d = rt, M = Mandy's dist., L = Liz's dist., s = initial separation dist. (how far apart they are when Liz first starts to move)
M = 20t, L = 30(t-1) = 30t-30
The reason it's (t-1) is that Liz sits still for the first hour, so we don't want the equation to show her moving yet. At t=1, (t-1) = 0. At t=2, when Liz should be moving, (t-1) = 1, so then the equation shows her moving. Essentially, you,re deliberately throwing a one hour delay at her.
As it says above, we set each distance equal, because they're catching each other (when they catch each other, they've gone the same distance).
20t = 30t-30
-10t = -30
10t = 30
t = 3 (hours)
Making the chart is a matter of plugging times into the separate equations.

I hope I've helped!
[Mutters] ("This had better not be for credit.")

If this is to be removed, please let me know.

Daenerys
Homeworkhelp.com

http://www.infoplease.com/homework/

homeworkspot.com

www.jiskha.com

math.com

freemathhelp.com

webmath.com

http://mathforum.org/dr.math/

-Kitsune-
EDIT: Gah! TheAsterisk got to it before me >.< Oh well, here it is anyways:

Coincidently, I did problems just like these just a few days ago in Algebra as a review ^.^
I'll help with the integer one.
1)Define variables
The first one would be X so X=1st
The second would be X+2 sincethats how many #s till the next even one
The third would be X+4

And since these three equal to 114, you add them all together and set it equal to that so... Just use this equation and solve down for X
x+(x+2)+(x+4)= 114
3x+6= 114 (Combining like terms)
-6 -6
3x= 108
3x/3 = 108/3
x=36

And theres your answer ^.^

Acnologia
10-24-2007, 02:48 PM
Linear equations? Do not ask me. I forget all of that, I can do quadratics though, lovely, lovely quadratics.

-Kitsune-
10-24-2007, 02:55 PM
Linear equations? Do not ask me. I forget all of that, I can do quadratics though, lovely, lovely quadratics.
I can do quadratics too, but my teacher yells at me when I do those problems o.o I was in like 10th grade math last year and she gets mad cuz I know more than the rest of the class and I know how to factor a quadratic polynomial with 4 terms! >.>;
~Random nerd moment, I appologize~

As for your problem, Tenchi_Fan, may I ask what grade your in, moslty because if your in 8th grade or up, you should understand this o.o PM me if you need any math help >.>

akasnipa
10-24-2007, 03:00 PM
wahhhhhhh!!! it made me remember 1 thing....I MISS MY SCHOOL DAYS!!!

KuroTan
10-24-2007, 05:00 PM
I'd like to say good luck in college. I'm sorry to say it doesn't get any easier.

Tenchi_fan
10-24-2007, 05:01 PM
:D Thanks for the help everyone!

Tenchi_fan
10-24-2007, 05:04 PM
I'd like to say good luck in college. I'm sorry to say it doesn't get any easier.
I'm not sure if I'm going to college, but I know that I will finnish high school.

Tenchi_fan
10-24-2007, 05:16 PM
[quote=TheAsterisk!;1879141]

[Mutters] ("This had better not be for credit.")

Don't worry it's not. lol
This is actually from an old algebra book that I bought, it didn't have any examples in the book so that's why I posted it on here.
I'm doing the Florida virtual school so it's a pain in the butt when don't have a teacher right in front of you to teach you.

TheAsterisk!
10-24-2007, 05:28 PM
Well...alright then (folds arms over chest).

Capernicus
10-24-2007, 06:15 PM
linear algebra > linear equations

Serious, linear algebra sounds easy, but it is not.

Tenchi_fan
10-24-2007, 09:40 PM
I can do quadratics too, but my teacher yells at me when I do those problems o.o I was in like 10th grade math last year and she gets mad cuz I know more than the rest of the class and I know how to factor a quadratic polynomial with 4 terms! >.>;
~Random nerd moment, I appologize~

As for your problem, Tenchi_Fan, may I ask what grade your in, moslty because if your in 8th grade or up, you should understand this o.o PM me if you need any math help >.>

I'm in the 9th grade, but we just now started learning linear equations this year, my school must be kinda slow.
Must be nice to be good at math.
And not to sound stupid or anything but, what is quadratics?

genericusername2
10-24-2007, 11:47 PM
You know for about the same price as a tutor costs, you could pay someone to do your homework for you.

Buruku
10-25-2007, 12:15 AM
Ok...wth. I am seriously bringing all my math homework to the forum if you guys can just solve it like that. Freakin ridiculous.

I'll prob retake it next year though, no time this year.

Bragi
10-25-2007, 12:37 AM
hmmm.. algebra ei.. what's that some kind of a new country?? http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c268/winterchill99/Emoticons/omg.gif

lol... http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c268/winterchill99/Emoticons/heh.gif... jk! jk! it's not my line of expertise but I get by it. *lazy to solve mode* http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c268/winterchill99/Emoticons/e3.gif

Eris
10-25-2007, 03:32 AM
Serious, linear algebra sounds easy, but it is not.

But it is! Just wait until you get into Hilbert spaces (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hilbert_space). It defines inner products between arbitrary functions, which has the silliest consequences: For an instance, you can determine some sort of abstract pseudo-angles (the essentially same procedure you do the same in linear algebra) between linear independent functions. It's absolutely mind boggling: You treat functions as vectors, and ignore obvious facts such that they are nothing of the sort, ... and it sort of works.

You'll be pleading for linear algebra again, because it at least had some concrete implementation (reality) you could fall back on.