PDA

View Full Version : Phone Soliciters

Memento Mori
10-16-2007, 05:58 PM
I despise these creatures that call you when you're doing something. I wish them a painful, horrible death. My dad even curses at them. o.o Sometimes. Anyway, what is your opinion on them? -I'm expecting alot of hate in this thread-

overwatch
10-16-2007, 06:02 PM
I think your starting to scrape at the bottom of the barrel for ideas. This subject is rather one opinionated - though it could generate some interesting spam.
If I were you I'd hold off on threads till you get a really good idea - just for a bit

Overlord Darth Fluffles
10-16-2007, 06:03 PM
I usually yell at them. That's fun.

International 4-8818
10-16-2007, 06:08 PM
Well we all joke at them, but they are simply doing there job. They get minimum wage and get yelled at by everybody for how stupid and crappy they are. How do you think they feel?

plucky
10-16-2007, 06:08 PM
Useless phone calls.
But that's what www.donotcall.gov is for.

-Kitsune-
10-16-2007, 06:18 PM
I just find them really annoying. Three days ago (No lies here) I got a phone call from "Viking Magazine" asking if I wanted a subscription... if I wasnt so busy I probably would have out of curiosity >.>
But I still hate phone solicitors and telemarketers
Oh and aozora no namida, I agree with overwatch, you should probably hold off on the threads for a while. Thats actualy a rule: Dont make a whole bunch of pointless threads (No offence ^.^; )

Memento Mori
10-16-2007, 07:15 PM
Yeeeeeea, that would be nice. <.<'

Sanosuke23
10-16-2007, 07:24 PM
When I was in middle school, this had to be in about '98, I was at a friend's when he recieved a phone call. All I heard from my end was "Hello" and an enthusiastic "Not now, I'm masturbating!" before he returned.

Best response to a telemarketer ever, in my opinion.

Legend_S
10-16-2007, 07:35 PM
I remember one time I got a telemarketer who wanted my mom, she wasnt home at the time (no really, she wasnt really home). I asked who this was so I can get his number to call back later (yeah right), he wouldnt tell me a thing, he just wanted to talk to my mom. He started to really get irritated at me for some reason, like I was the one asking too many questions, then he just told me to forget it then hung up, neeeever heard from him again lol.

Acnologia
10-16-2007, 07:43 PM
Telemarketer: Would you like to buy *insert item*
Me: Hey buddy, why don't you get a real job? ;D

Beast
10-16-2007, 07:45 PM
This one time, when I was 15 this one telemarketer called, she was offering me and my "kids" a free tropical vacation and such. I let her continue with her explanation and I kindly told her I wasn't of age to have kids nor were my parents around to speak with her. She was so suprised because she thought I was 19+. I suppose when I was 15 my voice was deep enough to sound older.

Eris
10-17-2007, 12:46 AM
Well we all joke at them, but they are simply doing there job. They get minimum wage and get yelled at by everybody for how stupid and crappy they are. How do you think they feel?

They choose to work where they work. Burglars are also just doing their job, and people bloody shoot at them. How do you think that makes THEM feel?

International 4-8818
10-17-2007, 01:04 AM
Sure they can choose, but then some people who get denied from other jobs have to go to plan B which just becomes a forced job.

Wio
10-17-2007, 01:10 AM
Tell them you will file a lawsuit. They will put you on their predator list and never call you again.

Perpetual Specter
10-17-2007, 01:13 AM
I usually just say random meaningless things until they hang up.We get a lot of these calls from phone soliciters here.

Eris
10-17-2007, 08:13 AM
Sure they can choose, but then some people who get denied from other jobs have to go to plan B which just becomes a forced job.

It's not like the local Hamburger joint has a high demands. There are always options, including selling body parts and prostitution; both meriting less hate than pestering people over the phone.

Kristen
10-17-2007, 08:22 AM
Honestly, it's not that big of a deal. They're just doing their job. Now and days in the states, there is a "do not call" list you can pay 5$ to be put on. We used to get a ton of solicitors at all hours until we put ourselves on that list and now we don't get any. It was a great idea and about time someone came up with it. Really, if you hate them so much, you could always do that. Or, you know, just don't pick up the phone. 95% of people in this day and age have caller id and thusly it isn't hard to see when it's not someone you know.

There really isn't much of a need to get angry about it.

OminousCloud
10-17-2007, 08:24 AM
I don't mind participating in surveys, because they actually give you something in return, last time I got a $50 voucher to spend in the Queen Victoria Building ^_^.

I usually get annoyed when they call and tell them we're not interested or I ask Hello? and then stay silent for a bit and repeat, after the third hello they just hang up.

Daenerys
10-17-2007, 08:27 AM
It's actually relatively hard to get a phone soliciter job. You have to be referred, and go through a process. I was always too lazy and chose to do jobs where I don't have to talk to random people all day.

I used to get a lot of phone calls on my previous phone number (cellphone) about cruise lines, and how I won this, or that, or am I interested in...

They'd get really upset and hang up fast when I let them know it's a cellphone. Good ol' law preventing them from wasting my minutes!

mikadzuki
10-17-2007, 08:46 AM
I get calls on my cell and at the office from credit cards company telemarketers offering other features/services of my creds like supplementary ones, cash advances and others. They usually call at the worse time of day a.k.a the busiest. Though I understand that they're just doing their job which is probably their bread and butter, telemarketers can be persistent to the point of annoyance. I just politely cut them off a sentence or two in to their standard monologue and ask them if they can waive my annual fees instead. If they can't I just tell them to call me next time if that's what they're gonna offer. Listening to a call/offer am not interest in at the onset will just waste both of our time.

Sinnaku
10-17-2007, 11:55 AM
They always seem to call talking about things that no one likes. Or offering you stuff you don't need, can't afford, or already have.Stupid phone guys.

Saiyuko
10-17-2007, 11:59 AM
When I stay over at my Uncle's place, there ALWAYS seems to be phone calls asking for him.In fact, no one really answers the phone at his house since that's what the calls usually are.

Ωmega
10-17-2007, 12:13 PM
This is why I just wont pick up my phone to any number I dont know.

Caller id <333

Eris
10-17-2007, 12:26 PM
I solved it by flicking off the phone company and getting skype instead.

Baka
10-17-2007, 02:31 PM
I lead them on as though I plan to buy what they are selling and then right when the deal is about to close I start laughing and tell them they are baka and hang up.

Saiyan Destroyer
10-17-2007, 02:39 PM
My best thus far...

Me: What the Hell do you want?
Guy: Hello Mr. and Mrs. *Smith, I'm not giving my real surname yet*
Me: What the Hell do you want?
Guy: We're calling today to ensure you're getting the best value in service AT&T...
Me: Put this stupid phone call up your butt, and get me off this stupid telemarketing service, and that freaking includes AT&T!...
Guy: OK.
Me: WE PAY THE DAMN BILLS! NOW GET THE HELL OFF MY PHONE LINE! DO YOU UNDERSTAND?!
Guy: I understand sir...
Me: GOOD! NOW MAKE SURE IT'S FREAKING WRITTEN DOWN!
Guy: It's a...
Me: AND DON'T CALL ME AGAIN!
Guy: OK...
Me: OTHERWISE I'LL COME AND STRANGLE YOUR SCRAWNY NECK! AND I MEAN PHYSICALLY!
Guy: I understand...
Me: DO YOU COMPREHEND?!
Guy: Err yeah ahh... All it takes is a couple of seconds...
Me: I TOLD YOU TO GO AND SHOVE OFF! YOU COMPREHEND!?!
Guy: Yes, no problems.
Me: GOOD! NOW NEVER RING AGAIN!
Guy: Ahh good thank you for using AT&T.

Best reaction to a phone call ever.

Exquiro
10-17-2007, 02:39 PM
The majority of 'em aren't allowed to hang up the phone before you do... So, if I'm bored... I see how long I can keep 'em on the phone for. "I'm really sorry, I can't go to America. You see, I'm alergic..."

foxkit2409
10-17-2007, 06:19 PM
some one called from lensecrafters asking for some lady at pearl vision....