PDA

View Full Version : Help! I can't see Japanese characters!!!

Mazi
10-07-2007, 12:44 AM
So... I can't see any kind of Japanese letters. They're all question marks.
(Like this: ---->???????) I know that I have to install some kind of language extension, problem is, how do I do it? Do I have to go somewhere on the net? Microsoft maybe? Please help out this dumb noob!!! :confused:

LiLi.
10-07-2007, 04:40 AM
Hmmmm~ This is how it works for me:
(only if you're using Windows Internet Explorer provided by Yahoo!) On the control panel you'll see Page > Encoding > More..> then choose Japanese

Ertai87
10-07-2007, 09:48 AM
Do you have East Asian Language support installed? If you're using Windows XP (not sure about Vista or Mac or *Nix), go start -> Control Panel -> Regional and Language Settings -> Languages -> Install Support Files for East Asian Languages. Then when the language bar appears on the bar at the bottom of your screen, right-click on it and go to settings -> advanced -> extend support to all programs

Note you might need a Windows XP CD to do this, so you should have one handy.

Mazi
10-08-2007, 09:31 PM
Well, I have Windows 2000, but, I'm gonna check out the Regional settings. i hope this works... Thanks for your help so far.

Oh crap... I need a cd and I don't have one!!!

And my IE is provided by Comcast!!!
What should I do?!?!

Mazi
10-08-2007, 11:50 PM
I don't like double-posting, but, I did some searching and I found the exe file that I needed in order to see Japanese characters. Now I just need to find out how to actually type it! LOL! Arigato gozaimasu for your help!!

Ertai87
10-09-2007, 08:21 PM
If all else fails, you can download a free word processing program called NJStar (just google "NJStar") that can write in Japanese, then copy and paste the text into here. Be careful though: There's a Chinese and a Japanese NJStar, and you want (I presume) the Japanese one. There may also be a Korean one, so don't download the wrong one!

Mazi
10-09-2007, 09:02 PM
Thanks for your help!! I will definitely try that out!