PDA

View Full Version : Is your home safe? Not your usual safety.

The Rebel
10-06-2007, 06:43 PM
Now most would think this is about crime or something, but it's not. I live in Tacoma WA, and the news just annouced that the Atlas Foundry near my home just blew up. Here's the complete story:
http://www.king5.com/topstories/stories/NW_100607WAB_tacoma_explosion_KS.1455c83f8.html

My question to you is, is your home safe, not from crime, but from a business exploding? Have you ever had an explosion happen in your town? And how does the thought of such an thing happening make you feel? Please share your thoughts on this topic.

Here's an additional article.
http://www.thenewstribune.com/news/breaking/story/172974.html

Perpetual Specter
10-06-2007, 06:59 PM
In a nearby town from where I'm at,a pharmaceutical plant exploded back in 2003.I think some gas or chemical in the air leaked out somehow,caught a spark,and it ignited.

Mittens
10-06-2007, 09:48 PM
The only explosion that has occured near my home was caused by a train derailing. Because of toxic fumes, we were evacuated for a night. But that was a long time ago, when I was about seven, and I wasn't afraid because it meant I got to skip school. Haha.

sa5m
10-06-2007, 10:50 PM
We have a nuclear plant at a town near us, but we've only had small explosions. None of them were enough to affect us.

As for businesses exploding nearby, I live in a secluded area with a ravine on three sides and a huge backyard on the other. xD If there were a big explosion, the trees would probably slow it down.

Zantetsuken
10-07-2007, 12:03 AM
Nobody's safe.

Alarms, IDs, cameras, oxygen masks, emergency exits, emergency instructions, fire drills, bomb drills, caution stickers, it is all an illusion.

The whole place could go up at any time with all of these.

There is no safety.

Missy
10-07-2007, 12:46 AM
Heh, I live in Tacoma, WA too. I was at work when the explosion happened... The power shut off for 2 seconds then came back on. I didn't hear any booms or anything, but that power hiccup sent the whole store into chaos.. The computers were going crazy and customers were piling up EVERYWHERE. It was insane. Traffic got really really crazy as well... I think it's still backed up til now. But from watching the news today and seeing how big of an explosion it was and how it affected alot of people around, I couldn't imagine being right there when it happened. I mean, 4 people were injured, no deaths, but it's still really scary. I always drove by that factory/foundry so it's weird to just see it gone or covered in smoke.

Marshmallow Fluff
10-07-2007, 12:53 AM
If a business exploded, then it would have to get through tons of rows of houses and up a hill to reach me.

So I'm not concerned.

Momokachan
10-07-2007, 12:59 AM
I guess the Tacoma thing was bad, yes.
But I live within the blast range of several Midwest missile silos, should they ever be blown up, and I believe two nuclear power plants, but I might be wrong on that count. Not to mention the livestock waste that I'm sure will occasionally make its way into the rivers we use for water.
I suppose it could be worse, in that I could live in Chernobyl, or Nagasaki. The fallout from those places is going to be around for about the next hundred-thousand years or so.

The Rebel
10-07-2007, 06:53 PM
Heh, I live in Tacoma, WA too. I was at work when the explosion happened... The power shut off for 2 seconds then came back on. I didn't hear any booms or anything, but that power hiccup sent the whole store into chaos.. The computers were going crazy and customers were piling up EVERYWHERE. It was insane. Traffic got really really crazy as well... I think it's still backed up til now. But from watching the news today and seeing how big of an explosion it was and how it affected alot of people around, I couldn't imagine being right there when it happened. I mean, 4 people were injured, no deaths, but it's still really scary. I always drove by that factory/foundry so it's weird to just see it gone or covered in smoke.
WOW! So the toll is up to 4 people. It was only 2 when I first heard about it. I take it the driver was found and is one of the injured. I wish I could have seen it. After all, I live like only 6 blocks away, but alas I am currently a resident of Northwest Kenetics. As soon as I found out about the explosion, I was all over the TV, but NWN didn't have alot of details. From what I could see from the king5 chopper footage, the explosion took place outside the building, in a loading zone I think.
I have since come to a conclusion, when I finally buy my own home, I'm shopping away from anything industrial.

Masali
10-07-2007, 11:19 PM
I live upwind from Limerick Pennsylvania (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limerick_Township%2C_Pennsylvania) so no, I do not feel safe.

TheAsterisk!
10-08-2007, 01:18 AM
I'm much more frightened of getting some big brute into a hostile mood with my big mouth.
The only things that could explode with any sizeable force near me are a Nestle plant, a Mitsubishi (MMNA) auto plant, an airport, and (I strongly suspect) several aged portable toilets. The nearest nuclear powerplant is a good hour away, as is the contaminated (and inactive) Chanute AFB. I'm not worried.

Hypergraphian
10-08-2007, 02:05 AM
I live in a country where there are rape cases everyday (reported), snatch theives are a plenty, robbery is like the norm already and the kids even pick pocket in school. Nope, my home isn't very safe.

The Rebel
10-08-2007, 12:31 PM
Thank all for the replies, but if possible, could we stay on topic? I think we can agree crime of all natures is everywhere. What I'm asking, is do you live near a business or something that could explode and damage if not destroy your home?

Daenerys
10-09-2007, 10:38 PM
I live imbetween 3 military bases, and one nuclear power plant.

I'm pretty sure my home is not safe. From terrorist attacks or from the plant emploding.

We did have a seafood resturant one time explode. It was faulty wiring or something along those lines.

Rikku FFX
10-12-2007, 06:01 PM
My question to you is, is your home safe, not from crime, but from a business exploding? Have you ever had an explosion happen in your town? And how does the thought of such an thing happening make you feel? Please share your thoughts on this topic.

My home is pretty safe from a business exploding. I've never had an explosion happen in my town.
Well IF there is an explosion in my town, I would be afraid (it's natural I guess). I would probably move away from that area.

Overlord Darth Fluffles
10-12-2007, 06:07 PM
I have laundry baskets trying to kill me in my house. What d YOU think?

overwatch
10-12-2007, 06:27 PM
Well I live in the blast zone of a nuclear power plant, if it goes up so do I.
The worrying thing is that green peace managed to get onto the roof of the dome - - now I they can get on there, whats to say a nutter can't blow the whole thing up - - - and government wants to build more

Acnologia
10-12-2007, 08:37 PM
From Crime: Yes, I live on the 3rd floor, and if you wanna try and climb the building, wow you suck.
From other stuff: If the chemical plants blow up, we're screwed. :>

I<3ShellShock
10-12-2007, 09:38 PM
i live in the country about the 3 miles from any stores or anything. we'll be efected, hopefully not hurt. our woods could catch on fire, wich would be the worst thing ever.

Light Buster
10-12-2007, 09:50 PM
WTF? A HOUSE EXPLODED?! (Runs out of the house as far as he can see it and covers his head.)

I'm glad that my house didn't explode on me...