PDA

View Full Version : [SGI News] Australia Sells Sand to Saudi Arabia

SGI
09-30-2007, 06:03 PM
The Perth, Australia, construction materials company GMA Garnet recently closed a deal to sell sand to Saudi Arabia, and shipments began in June. (Actually, it's a hard-grade sand better suited for sandblasting than that found in the Saudi desert.)

Do You Want To Know More? (http://www.austrade.gov.au/Aussies-Sell-Sand-to-Saudi/default.aspx)

Reincarnation of Living Buddha Needs Government Approval
The government of China, which claims control of Tibet despite the region's vigorous culture of independence, announced in August that it would henceforth require Tibet's "living Buddhas" (special clergy believed to be continuously reincarnated) to get permission from China's religious affairs officials before submitting their souls to be embodied in the future. The government acted, it said, because the reincarnation process needed to be managed better.

Do You Want To Know More? (http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2007-08/04/content_5448242.htm)

Iowa Schools 'Spaced-out' of Grant Money
About 30 Iowa school districts had their funding applications for preschool grants tossed out in September, the state Department of Education said, because the paperwork was not double-spaced, as required.

Do You Want To Know More? (http://usgovinfo.about.com/b/a/217713.htm)

Woman Registers Her Dog to Vote
Jane Balogh, 66, was informed in September that she will not be prosecuted for defrauding elections officials in Seattle, despite having illegally registered her dog, Duncan M. MacDonald, to vote. Balogh, protesting how easy officials have made it for people to vote illegally, put her home phone account in Duncan's name, which is all the proof required for registration, then signed him up, and when an absentee ballot arrived, she went public about her scheme. However, despite the public confession, Duncan continued to be sent official absentee ballots for the two subsequent election cycles.

Do You Want To Know More? (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2003758181_votingdog22m.html)

Sorry, Little League Rules Are Top Secret
Army officer Bryan Hilferty, a volunteer Little League umpire in Alexandria, Va., complained to The Washington Post in July that when he requested a copy of the League rulebook (to help him be a better umpire), he was turned down. Hilferty, who has access to classified information in his job at the Pentagon, was told that the Little League restricts its rulebooks, on a "need to know" basis, so as not to invite litigation, and that Hilferty did not qualify.

Do You Want To Know More? (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/07/28/AR2007072801205.html)

While I kind of sort of understand the whole Iowa School saga, it still sucks for the poor kids. But the Little League rules being top secret just makes me think WTF?

Sagat
09-30-2007, 06:13 PM
Definitely, I got a kick out of the Chinese and the Little League one. Imagine, the audacity of saying that to an army officer.

Myrra
09-30-2007, 06:47 PM
I'm having a difficulty understanding how on earth the Chinese gov't thinks it can regulate reincarnation.
As to the Little League, there is no excuse they can name that is good enough to excuse them and their stupidity. How on this planet are the umpires supposed to make correct calls if they don't even have access to the rules?? I fail to see where this makes even the most basic of sense and if I were a parent investing money for my child to play in that league, I'd want them to know and understand the rules or else I'd take my money elsewhere. Or better yet to let the kids play non competitively on a neighbourhood sandlot.

OminousCloud
09-30-2007, 10:52 PM
lol @ registering a dog to vote, that just made my day!

Aleyna
09-30-2007, 10:58 PM
we shouldv'e had dophlins registering to vote in florida back in the bush and gore election XD

sophea
09-30-2007, 11:31 PM
lol...someone mentioned that Chinese gov't one the other day in my world religion class when we were discussing Buddhism. We all got a kick out of it.

Hypergraphian
10-01-2007, 03:27 AM
Reincarnation of Living Buddha Needs Government Approval
The government of China, which claims control of Tibet despite the region's vigorous culture of independence, announced in August that it would henceforth require Tibet's "living Buddhas" (special clergy believed to be continuously reincarnated) to get permission from China's religious affairs officials before submitting their souls to be embodied in the future. The government acted, it said, because the reincarnation process needed to be managed better.

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, Oh my God. That's hillarious. Can you imagine? "Hmm... lets see. Nope. Application to be a living Buddha Denied. NEXT!!!!" HAHAHHAHAHA...

This must be one of the weirdest things I've heard. But then again, to be fair, after reading the article in detail, I realized that they just wanted to keep track of all the living Buddhas proclaimed. I suppose its a way to ensure that they're influence does not spread beyond necessary. Correct me if I'm wrong but under the communist influence, religious practices aren't allowed thus Tibet's beliefs have to be governed carefully to prevent its influence upon their neighboring country's residents.

SGI
10-01-2007, 05:28 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but under the communist influence, religious practices aren't allowed thus Tibet's beliefs have to be governed carefully to prevent its influence upon their neighboring country's residents.

Also there is the awful way the Chinese Government continues to treat practitioners of Fulan Gong. It shows how lovely the Chinese track record is in terms of religious beliefs.

Acnologia
10-01-2007, 08:23 PM
Does Saudi really need more sand considering its the desert? >.<

Manhattan_Project_2000
10-01-2007, 08:49 PM
Does Saudi really need more sand considering its the desert? >.<

The Perth, Australia, construction materials company GMA Garnet recently closed a deal to sell sand to Saudi Arabia, and shipments began in June. (Actually, it's a hard-grade sand better suited for sandblasting than that found in the Saudi desert.)

My work here is done. Manhattan AWAY!

pab
10-01-2007, 09:25 PM
Every time i read things like this i ask:
"HOW in the world DO you find this?"...

DOOM!
10-02-2007, 04:24 PM
This world is going to thee... dogs.