PDA

View Full Version : What Makes a Game Great?

PanzerJager
09-20-2007, 10:53 AM
the question here is.. what makes a game great? is it the nonstop, mindblowing action? the storyline? the 12X anti-aliasing beauty?...

Personally I like a bit of everything, whith nothing overdone..

....did that soud corny to you too? :unsure:

xXAltairXx
09-20-2007, 11:47 AM
Graphics And Gameplay Make A Game Great.

Gaarademon
09-20-2007, 12:31 PM
controls, story, graphics, or actor doing the voices of a certain character
music too like you said a bit of everything makes a game good
nah it didnt sound that corny...i've heard worse

xXAltairXx
09-20-2007, 12:48 PM
XD Worse?

Dude you dont have the actor voices on every game, Hell look at "The Sims" they just talk gibberish Rofl. But the part about the storyline, thats true and the controls HAVE TO be easy to use for SOME people lmao.

Crippe
09-20-2007, 12:58 PM
Story, Music and replay-value. that's whats make a really good game :)
(like tales of symphonia and zelda) XD

VardomTheDark
09-20-2007, 01:32 PM
The story has to be good or i will get bored. I like good graphics but if the game has me hooked they wont bother me. Of course it has to have action but i think there always needs to be puzzles to solve.

PanzerJager
09-20-2007, 04:10 PM
The story has to be good or i will get bored. I like good graphics but if the game has me hooked they wont bother me. Of course it has to have action but i think there always needs to be puzzles to solve.

hmmm... sounds like half-life2.. no?

ultimarogue
09-20-2007, 05:41 PM
What does make a video game great is it the graphics or maybe the bameplay or is it simply that it gets us away from reality..... NAH its the game play

The Wing Man
09-21-2007, 12:26 AM
Really gameplay, alot of games I have played had bad or just ok graphics but the gameplay is a blast and it makes a game what it is.Look at mario or sonic, there oldschool looking now but they are so much fun to play that there is no reason to care what they look like.

Gaarademon
09-21-2007, 08:45 AM
XD Worse?

Dude you dont have the actor voices on every game, Hell look at "The Sims" they just talk gibberish I uh ment certain games...you know like grand theft auto and other games like that where you hear sorta famous people doing the voices of characters :P

Almirith
09-21-2007, 09:38 AM
Graphics, Sound, Control, replay value, Gameplay

Ertai87
09-21-2007, 12:33 PM
Depends on the game type. For example, if I play an RPG, I expect it to have a good storyline, perhaps some voice acting, a great script, and some method of leveling up your character and getting new skills. I also generally expect party-based combat (which is why I find games like Morrowind disappointing and didn't even bother trying Children of Mana). On the other hand, if I play a strategy game, I expect little-to-no storyline, but I expect tight balance and to be able to really think about my moves and use strategy (yeah, I know to say "strategy game" = "uses strategy" is kinda dumb, but still...). If I play an FPS, I expect good collision detection and some element of strategy to be involved.

BuLmA
09-21-2007, 12:52 PM
When it comes that you must use your knowledge & strategy.It makes the game more enteresting!. But survival games & horror games are very enteresting for me too! like Silent Hill,Clock Tower, & Resident Evil. I just love it! & while the monster is after me my heart bitting faster & I like it!lol

Mir Black
09-23-2007, 05:55 AM
What makes a great game is ultimately I think gameplay. 'cause some of the best games I played have been rated terrible on graphics but still hold up a solid game. Judge Dredd: Dredd Vs Death, got a 5/10 and was rated poor graphics, but I really enjoyed that game. So even then, gameplay preferences change from person to person. On the other hand you get such games as Oblivion, Mario, MGS, Silent Hill, these are games of their genre which are universially great games in most people opinions, but it is hard to say what really makes them great.

Storm Strife
09-23-2007, 03:25 PM
For me, a great storyline, and great gameplay. In certain games, storyline doesn't count, such as Sword of the Samurai for example, where there's pretty much no storyline. Graphics don't really matter much, I can enjoy a game just fine as long as the other two elements are at decent levels.

Replayability also plays a part. If I really enjoy a game, and have a reason to play it again (multiple endings, extra storylines, other ways to play the game, etc), I tend to enjoy it more.

CrimsonMoon
09-30-2007, 12:14 AM
Graphics and genre first. And then the controls and music. Lastly I'll look at the main character's personality. The game that I stop playing because of a sucky personality is .Hack//GU. Sorry to people that likes Haseo. I've played .Hack and I like Kite. But I don't like Haseo and Atoli. I'll consider playing it later.

Zantetsuken
09-30-2007, 02:01 AM
Appeal. If it jumps out at you and gets you hooked, then all that matters is if you like it. Screw that other stuff. Those are just bonuses.

The Blue Baron
09-30-2007, 05:29 PM
I like a little of action adventure and some strategy involved...Other than that nothing...

Drunk_Squid
10-03-2007, 07:53 PM
For me a truly, utterly great game usually needs to invoke some sort of sentimental feeling with me when I think about it, which usually means I grew attached to it. In which case it involves everything, depending on the genre all of the following apply, but maybe some of these things are more important in say in RPG and in a FPS, and so on.

Story
Characters and/or enemies
Sound and music
Fun factor
ect. ect.

Souhi
10-03-2007, 08:17 PM
I'm not a huge gamer, so this is strictly for me:

- Replay value
- Graphics and style
- Community (if applicable)

I didn't say gameplay, not because I'm an idiot, but because I play RPGs a lot with friends, and they often have really monotonous gameplay. This is from "free" ones anyway (not counting those special cash shop items they all tend to have), but it's more of a creative way to have fun with friends.

If the community is great, and the missions are relatively interesting enough to be done over and over, I'm satisfied. Graphics and style are somewhat important. I want a game that's simple, clean, colorful and has charm.

On the other hand I also love beat games, which I can play alone, but constantly replay without ever getting bored (each song pack is like a sequel). And it's great at parties xD

King_Shadow89
10-04-2007, 08:23 AM
Well for me, what makes a game great is it easy to use controls. The graphics, story line,and nice looking charactors.

Hamashimura
10-04-2007, 11:04 AM
Well,for me it's when you need to use your brain to finish the game,since I love challenges...
But what I appreciate the most is awesome storyline that comes along in 80% of older RPG games...
I don't care if the gfx is bad,as long as the storyline is good...
And if you mus use your brain to beat it,and you can mix everything,and get on whole new level...that's just awesome...
That's the very reason why I prefer playing older games,such as Chrono Trigger,Chrono Cross,FF series (till IX),Tales of ... series etc.
Actually,my current game obsession is Golden Sun 2: The Lost Age,that game is REALLY hard to beat,for you must use your brain to the maximum potential,and it does have trully awesome storyline,along with first part of the game...
That's for RPG games,as for Fighting games (yes,these are only 2 genres I play),beauty of moves and gameplay...nothing more...
Game obsession: Guilty Gear series...