PDA

View Full Version : What got you started?

Renzoil
09-15-2007, 10:19 AM
I'd like to know how some of you people got into anime.For me it was Tranfomers.My dad loved that show.Even recorded them!From there it spread...ans now I'm an anime junky and my friend is jealous.:D So what started you guys?

overwatch
09-15-2007, 10:25 AM
When I was younger I always enjoyed catoons - especially those which told a really good story (IMO). fast forward to university when I saw my first anime all the way through - one night at a friends saw Read of Die. I then decided that I wanted to see others so went web serching for ideas. One which I had heard about a lot was Ghost in the Shell and with the movies in a double pact picked them up = after that the addiction began - following on from ghost came the SAC and Wolf's Rain.

LiLi.
09-15-2007, 10:34 AM
Well~ My brother was watching a couple of Naruto episodes so that got me started with Naruto. So i joined Narutofan and most people there likes Bleach too apart from Naruto. So that started me off with Bleach. Then finally i saw some Death Note cosplayers on the internet, so i kinda interested into Death Note, so i thought why not check it out. So that got me into Death Note. Now im into Air Gear. How? Randomly

Takatofan1986
09-15-2007, 05:48 PM
Po. Ke. Mon.

Pokemon. Had i never watched that i wouldent be where i am now. ...i may still be watching disney crap O_O

Pokemon led to digimon which led to yugioh and let to yu yu hakusho, and next thing i knew, i was an anime junkie

SGI
09-15-2007, 05:50 PM
Like almost everyone of my 'Anime Generation', the anime that got me started was of course...
Akira!

Darkness2003
09-15-2007, 05:52 PM
Dragonball

Bucky Katt
09-15-2007, 06:06 PM
I had watched Sailor Moon as a little imbecile, and I had no idea whatsoever that it was an anime.
Zip, zam, zoom into fifth grade, and I am soon drawn towards anime by a girl's drawings (aka mew-tsubaki from ff . net.) Now, we're both best friends and anime fan[atic]s.

Celtic Warrior
09-15-2007, 06:13 PM
The first anime that I saw was Sailor Moon and Yorodien Samurai Troopers, a.k.a. Ronin Warriors, back in the mid 1990's. Back then I didn't know what is anime at the time, but since then I have watch anime ever since.

overwatch
09-15-2007, 06:24 PM
Takatofan1986 - funny thing is that when I was younge I used to watch this show (and play the games) but I never really caught on the it was anime and not cartoon - on terrestrial tv (non sky) it was the only anime at the time and when we did get sky it was after the anime boom - in current times the dead zone

Thousand Eyes
09-15-2007, 07:04 PM
I seriously don't know. I grew up watching Astro Boy and Voltron without having knowledge that they were Anime. Even after entering high school and watching Sailor Moon and Vision of Escaflowne, I still had no idea that it was called Anime. I instead started using the term Japanimation, although I thought it referred to Hentai only. Anyway, once 2003 came around, I finally understood that it was called Anime and from there on, I started watching Dragonball Z on TV. I used to read the Dragonball Manga years before though. Now, I've pretty much expanded my tastes.

sa5m
09-15-2007, 07:12 PM
My friend was the one that got me into anime in the 7th grade... (manga first, actually).

When I was in 4th grade, I was addicted to Sailor Moon. Back then I didn't know it was an anime, but just a regular cartoon. =P

Kawairashii hikari
09-15-2007, 07:18 PM
yea like wat Takatofan said i first started out with Pokemon then i moved on to Digimon...then onto Sailor Moon

hoshima haruna
09-15-2007, 07:30 PM
hmmmm i remember when i was a kid i would watch sailor moon (i'm a girl)and then when i would try to watch pokemon or digimon my cousin(guy) would tell to me to stop and wait for sailor moon so i pushed him on the floor and sat on him and then watched whatever i wanted ^^;; but i got into it when i saw inuyasha for the first time and my friends told me it was anime and then they gave me manga and other other stuff ^^ i love them sooooo much♥

Animeonigirl
09-15-2007, 07:46 PM
Well I Think My First Anime Show Was Pokemon
Me And My Brother Were Little Kids And Little Kids Love To Watch Cartoons!
Then I Started Watching More And More Cartoons That Some Were Anime And Thats How I Got Started!

KuroTan
09-15-2007, 09:45 PM
Had to be Yu Yu Hakusho. That was one of my favourite anime as a kid. Of course, I called it cartoons back then like what jinglefox said. Before that I was watching the huge robot animes like voltes 5 and daimos plus astro boy and sailor moon too (Hey I was 6. Give me a break. If it's a cartoon I'll watch it.^^) but nothing really got me hooked into anime like Yu Yu Hakusho.

Gizoku
09-15-2007, 10:15 PM
Lol ahaha, this is going to be complicated to tell.

During 7th grade when I was in computer class and we were making a slideshow of our interests...I was probably as dumb as a stump, I asked my friend what to do it on and he said anime...so I was a bit puzzled and he told me a couple of things and, after that that kinda broadened my horizon. ^^;
Then a little while later I realized Sailor Moon was an anime...I cant believe I didnt know what it was after watching it for 3 yearsxD

GGP
09-15-2007, 11:15 PM
well... lets see...

one day i was using youtube and i was searching for amvs. i then stumnled upon a lucky star amv. one thing led to another and now i watch anime... or at least lucky star. its the best anime ever

.Lovebeat
09-16-2007, 01:50 AM
I had seen anime before I got into it.
Dragon Ball got me into manga, which further on got me into anime when my friend invited me to her place and we watched Chobits and then further on I watched anime on my own and... now I'm addicted.

VraieEsprit
09-16-2007, 02:33 AM
Tenchi Muyou, really. I mean I think most people were aware of Pokemon and in the nineties I did watch it and play the card game with my sister, who at the time was about seven or eight and really into the whole phenomenon. I won't pretend it wasn't kinda fun, either...but that wasn't, to me, really the kickstart of anime interest. It was just another show to me then, and it kinda passed by.

Watching Tenchi Muyou on Toonami kinda got me into the idea that anime is both bizarre and fun. Despite the fact mother's Japanese EFL students were really amused by how badly cut it was, I still have a vague fondness for the Toonami Tenchi and the constant references to "tea!". Tenchi also kinda reminded me of an eighties kids show called "Jem" in terms of Ryoko - she reminded me of a couple of the "bad guy" characters who I'd always been a fan of, which was what drew me to watch TM in the first place. (It's the reason why Ryoko will always be my favourite TM character bar none). (I'm an eighties kid and I have no shame admitting it!)

I didn't get fullscale into anime as a genre until I began learning Japanese properly, as opposed to the random stuff I'd done on and off thanks to my mother's Japanese pupils. Tenchi was still the first big anime thing I got into though - I tracked down the proper versions of TM! in all its incarnations and once I'd exhausted them, I started looking into other stuff. Then I got into Fushigi Yuugi (which was the first anime I really watched all through in Japanese) and so began my Seiyuu fixation - now I look at who's doing the voices almost as much as the storyline when I decide what show to go for...

I guess it's all to do with the Japanese thing for me ;) But Tenchi Muyou and Fushigi Yuugi both had kickass characters going for them too. And that helps ;)

Vraie

GrimStride™
09-16-2007, 03:31 AM
Well i really got addicted after watching DragonBallZ.I knew i had seen anime before(like pokemon,yu gi oh) but DbZ got me started.After it i decided to see a few more and i loved them all so i'm watching anime ever since :)

Drunk_Squid
09-16-2007, 04:38 AM
A.........ki.........ra

inillusen
09-16-2007, 01:05 PM
Sailor Moon, of course. Though, this is the same for about 5 other girls I know, that I'm sure all still watch anime of some sorts today.

The American, dubbed version (curse you DIC), was horrid. I still liked the manga, however.

All in all, dubbing ftl. :p Though, I still want the entire first series of Sailor Moon on DvD or something. I'd totally spend money on that...

I spent way too much time loving that show when I was 11. I can never stop! Yarrrr.

Ari_86
09-16-2007, 01:57 PM
Dragon Ball Z got me into it. Then it went to Inuyasha. >.> Now im in to all kinds and its very addictive.

Mizuko Riko Imimoshi
09-16-2007, 02:00 PM
My friends got me started on Naruto. They talked about alot and I got interested. Then when I watched the show I fell in love with it. Now I like Bleach, InuYasha, and Full Metal Alchemist. 8-)

nikoko-nozomu
09-16-2007, 02:18 PM
I didn't even understand the concept of anime, but I was watching The Last Unicorn movie (I know it's not really an anime, but it was in a more or less anime style) when I was five. I absolutely adored the animation style because it was so different than most of the cartoons I watched on TV, but I could never understand why -_-;.

When I was a little older, I got hooked on the Digimon dub for a while, and then I discovered what I consider my first true appreciation for anime in its unadulterated state in Escaflowne--which remains one of my all-time favorites to this day.

Knightmare
09-17-2007, 05:39 PM
Well I watched Teknoman and was amazed because I had never seen anything like it then I watched some others including... Akira, Dragonball, Ronin Warriors, and Transformers.

shooting-star
09-18-2007, 02:12 PM
it must have been when me and my friends watched Card Captures once then all of a sudden we were running round the playground prettending we where in the show! and it grew as i did. i read a lot of manga and watch the animes of that but i like to sink my teeth into something new every now and again!

ichigosama72
09-19-2007, 08:29 PM
Voltron!

niKopol
09-19-2007, 08:56 PM
Besides the original Dragonball, Pokemon and Digimon dragged me back into anime those years ago when everybody had the cards Highschoolers and Middleschoolers alike.

iiiasdfkl
09-20-2007, 12:01 AM
lolz, that was years ago :p. and I guess it was Sailor Moon. back then, I didn't even knew it was an anime :D

chappie1989
09-20-2007, 01:43 AM
Through a friend i learned about GTO and shaman king and from there i just started downloading random anime stuff. That's how i learned about anime.

Guerrera
09-20-2007, 06:31 PM
Well, as a kid I obviously loved cartoons. I especially enjoyed the 1993 X-Men cartoons and the old school DC stuff, mainly Batman and similar shows.

But then, something caught my little eye... Sailor Moon.
I really loved that show. I'd watch it with my sisters each time. After that, we really got into Pokemon. My dad walked in and said "Hey! You're watching Japanese cartoons, how about that?"

I had no idea it was Japanese, so my dad explained the differences between Japanese and American cartoons. From then on, we really got into the anime stuff. I got hooked on DBZ and Tenchi afterwards and I even changed my drawing style to look more like manga and anime.

Eventually, I grew to hate all these shows after my standards changed. We began demanding better art, cooler characters, and better storylines. Cause lets face it, the world of anime needs a huge revolution. Evolution now! xD

Kaoru_Hanabishi
09-20-2007, 07:03 PM
Ranma 1/2 was the barrel I rode over Niagra Falls in.

Zantetsuken
09-20-2007, 07:09 PM
When I was a kid, the first anime I saw was Robotech. That's what got me started.

Hail, Robotech!

Ashers
09-21-2007, 06:20 PM
Augh.. i used to watch sailor moon on tv and such.. then i realised after watching naruto..i could watch it on youtube and such which is pretty funny, after that i was addicted mostly and i would find anime titles by searching manga titles. xD

mr pantsu
09-22-2007, 03:33 AM
elfen lied, yup, ima late bloomer, didnt get it done properly to me untill i was round 22 ._. alltho my first couple of times was way before that with gits and akira befor i knew what it was

-d-

Azure Arianna
09-22-2007, 04:36 AM
I think the first anime i watch was... sailor moon ^^'

but at first, i didn't know that it was an anime. i tought it was cartoon.

Then, my friends started to talk about digimon. And i kinda get addicted to it ^^. From there i know the difference of anime and cartoon...

but the anime that turned me into an addict is kyou kara maou. strange huh?

deli53
09-25-2007, 04:53 PM
i was watching dbz when it wuz on toonami long time ago and recorded it cuz i loved it alot back then i didnt noe it was anime until my uncle showed me a series called Great Teacher Onizuka he told me it was an anime show and he bought the full dvd set with all the episodes in dubbed and/or subbed. First episode i loved it and wanted to watch it all. When i was done i asked him if animations like dbz were anime and he said yea so ive been watchin anime ever since