PDA

View Full Version : Outlaw Star - what is it?

overwatch
09-10-2007, 11:48 AM
Well I tried this in its own section but got no replies - plenty of views though - so I thought I'd try it out in general:

Ok I've seen episode one and am interested in knowing how this anime developes later on in the series. I'm not looking for spoilers but a general idea of the content - e.g. silly, romantic, action.
To me from what I have seen it looks similar to Cowboy Bebop - maybe slightly less serious, but its harder to tell.
Also a general idea of the target age group might be handyt

Further - does anyone in the UK know where to get the DVDs - hmv and amazon have failed me ;) - not buying yet but usful info non the less.

Thousand Eyes
09-15-2007, 06:38 PM
Wow. It seems no one has replied in this thread again, even in the general section.

Anyway, Outlaw Star is considered a classic by many, but I think it's just good. It's actually quite enjoyable. Basically, Gene, Melfina and Jim search for the Galactic Leyline (watch the Anime and you'll know why). As far as progress and development is concerned, there isn't much surrounding Jim (which is kind of disappointing), but others (Aisha and Suzuka) join the gang and have background info as to what their 'reasons' are for following.

It is a bit on the silly side, especially when Aisha is around. It's pretty much a Sci-Fi Adventure Comedy with some cool villains.

I think the target audience is somewhere around 16-20? There is swearing in it and even a bit of ecchi references in the early going. Nothing big though.

Azel
09-15-2007, 08:20 PM
Outlaw Star is excellence. Watch it and be amazed. Even though it played on Toonami (the edited version that is) I agree it is probably targeted for mature audiences. Since you've only see episode one, there is much more to come. I would elaborate but most of your questions should be answered here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outlaw_Star

Drunk_Squid
09-16-2007, 04:43 AM
Cowboy Bebop is better. I've only seen parts of a couple episodes but for me, IMHO Cowboy Bebop cannot be beaten. But that's just me. It looks alright I suppose. But you have to understand that Cowboy Bebop is my favorite and nothing can surpass it for me.