PDA

View Full Version : Do you dislike things because they are popular?

Rem
08-29-2007, 09:53 AM
It's seems to be in vogue to hate on popular things, for no reason other than that they are popular. And I was wondering how many of you would admit to doing this? I can honestly say I don't, I try to give everything a fair shot before totally dismissing it. For example I hate the GTA games, but it's not because GTA is one of the best selling games. It's because it's a boring game. And at the same flip of the coin I think Naruto is an enjoyable series, and it's hard to get more popular than that. It's not wonderful but there are worse ways to spend a half hour. So how about you?

KuroTan
08-29-2007, 10:16 AM
hmm...not really.popularity doesnt play a part into whether or not i like sumthng.if i see it and i like it then, popular or not, im gonna get it.^^ but popularity does play a part in whether or not i hear about sumthng new.

Flah Blah
08-29-2007, 10:23 AM
We are a selfish, picky and overdramatic race. It's not because of Naruto's popularity that we loathe the show. It is some of the nonsensical and stupid people who won't shut up about it that makes people hate it. Which is stupid, who cares if idiots don't fully comprehend something's greatness? At least it's popular and running. Better to be loved by millions of dumb people, where the company earns profit and is able to produce more. Than for a small handful of intelligent folk to appreciate it but then the company goes out of business.

It's highly annoying, sure. But it could be worse, where the product won't exist at all from lack of customers.

iiiasdfkl
08-29-2007, 10:55 AM
ok *blushes 100 shades of red* you got me with this. when I was about 9 I used to... profoundly dislike (to say so) everything about Harry Potter. I thought it was a completely pointless waste of time... that's 'till I read the books. since then I'm one of the #1 HP fans :) ...

Beast
08-29-2007, 11:02 AM
Not necessarily because they are popular, because they are overrated.

Ωmega
08-29-2007, 11:06 AM
Well, yes and no for me. I do dislike a good amount of popular things, but even if they weren popular, I would still greatly dislike it.

███
08-29-2007, 11:35 AM
I don't drink or smoke purely because you have to do it to be socially accepted. Well there are other reasons but it sounds cooler if I say it like that.

Manhattan_Project_2000
08-29-2007, 01:07 PM
It's not that I dislike things because they are popular; it's that things are popular because I dislike them. The human race chooses its likes and dislikes to spite me.

Aleyna
08-29-2007, 01:08 PM
well i always like trying new things, whether they are popular or not
if i get a good opinion from somebody about something, i can't help but get curious and want to check it out to see why they like it and if id like it or not
thats how i got into liking anime XD
curious fiend i am! ^_^

Petrol Gas
08-29-2007, 03:00 PM
I try to base my likes and dislikes on evidence, but there are things that I hate that people like (Just because people like them). For instance, I never watched any of Inuyasha, because at the time that I came into Anime it was already VERY popular and overdone. I also never liked Naruto, but unlike Inuyasha I have a good reason for it.

Aleyna
08-29-2007, 03:11 PM
I try to base my likes and dislikes on evidence, but there are things that I hate that people like (Just because people like them). For instance, I never watched any of Inuyasha, because at the time that I came into Anime it was already VERY popular and overdone. I also never liked Naruto, but unlike Inuyasha I have a good reason for it.
i thought those were good, but i don't watch tv that often

i had heard lots of good things about fruits basket
and i thought the storyline sounded great...

then i read the 1st volume of the manga and watched the show at the same time
i thought it sucked, the manga felt confusing when i read it
and no offense, but the fruit's basket animations in my opinion are HORRIFIC

Takatofan1986
08-29-2007, 04:04 PM
Yep. Paris Hilton. Britteny Spears. WHATS WRONG WITH YOU PPL?! (Not YOU, the ppl who like it)

Masali
08-29-2007, 04:09 PM
The thing is, many popular things are blown FAR out of proportion...

Mostly bands. When blink 182 they were mostly described as like "The best band eveeeerrrr" and when I listened I was horribly disappointed. Anime as well, Inuyasha is always praised as being a masterpiece, when I watched it...garbage.

But I love lots of popular things: Chili Peppers, Naruto, Bleach, Blah blah blah.

sadida
08-29-2007, 04:40 PM
I don't hate things because of their popularity, but sometinmes I do question the public's taste in crap- like CrOCS!!! Ugh! They r so ugly! So stupid looking! Stop them, please! Or wear them only at home!

Vasarian
08-29-2007, 04:41 PM
I can't say I dislike something because it's popular but I completly hate to see a lot of people having the same clothes or brand than me...

Kawairashii hikari
08-29-2007, 04:54 PM
not so much as if it's popular that i hate it it's like if say everyone says a phrase a lot and it becomes popular then i start to hate it
like when people say, "No homo, no homo." that freakin annoys me or like almost everybody has the Motorola Razor, so i hate that phone now cuz everyone used to talk about it and crap
i hate stuff that people constantly talk about, lets put it at that

Rem
08-29-2007, 04:56 PM
Inuyasha is always praised as being a masterpiece
Who doesn't like hearing people scream INUYASHA and KAGOME for 23 minutes?

Masali
08-29-2007, 08:00 PM
Me.

Daimastuny
08-29-2007, 08:06 PM
i thought those were good, but i don't watch tv that often

i had heard lots of good things about fruits basket
and i thought the storyline sounded great...

then i read the 1st volume of the manga and watched the show at the same time
i thought it sucked, the manga felt confusing when i read it
and no offense, but the fruit's basket animations in my opinion are HORRIFIC

Onee-chan if you think the animation for fruit's basket are horrific you should see Kare Kano, the animations is so bad I could barf on it.-edit- Although unlike the anime, I like reading the manga

Rem
08-29-2007, 08:09 PM
Me.
Monster

Masali
08-29-2007, 08:15 PM
Rawr.

Flah Blah
08-29-2007, 08:26 PM
Who doesn't like hearing people scream INUYASHA and KAGOME for 23 minutes?

I'd rather listen to Chopin, even though he's overrated as well.

sa5m
08-29-2007, 08:58 PM
At first, I hated Naruto because it was so overrated. But after watching a few episodes, I'm a huge fan now! So... it really depends on the person and what the subject is.